Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

TLOU spoilers

To me, the ending only works if the Fireflies did actually have a legitimate shot at a cure and Joel ruined it. I don't remember what the lore says, although I know a lot of people have said the Fireflies were full of poo poo, which to me ruins the dramatic potential of the story. If they're completely incompetent, then there's absolutely no gray area. If there is a legitimate chance of a cure being developed, then you, the player – along with Ellie – do have room to question Joel's choice.

This has always been my stance. The ending straight-up does not work if you decide Joel is a cool guy. Furthermore, Joel is loving creepy as poo poo no matter what: the entire point of the ending is that he's a terrible person in more ways than one, killing defenseless and wounded people and straight-up projecting his old daughter onto his new one and ignoring her direct wishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Smirking_Serpent posted:

TLOU spoilers

To me, the ending only works if the Fireflies did actually have a legitimate shot at a cure and Joel ruined it. I don't remember what the lore says, although I know a lot of people have said the Fireflies were full of poo poo, which to me ruins the dramatic potential of the story. If they're completely incompetent, then there's absolutely no gray area. If there is a legitimate chance of a cure being developed, then you, the player – along with Ellie – do have room to question Joel's choice.

The grey area has to do with individual assumptions, even if they are false assumptions.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Now that I think about it, TLOU is actually a cool comparison to NieR Gestalt

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

This has always been my stance. The ending straight-up does not work if you decide Joel is a cool guy. Furthermore, Joel is loving creepy as poo poo no matter what: the entire point of the ending is that he's a terrible person in more ways than one, killing defenseless and wounded people and straight-up projecting his old daughter onto his new one.

:chloe:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's the text of the loving story dude. It's not some hot take.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The last of us ending chat is the Bloodborne of this thread

It screams and throws its placenta at us?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

That's the text of the loving story dude. It's not some hot take.

It's a hot steamy take.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Joel is OoK and Ellie is uh....

*consults the PS4 thread tome*

Knack

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The last of us ending chat is the Bloodborne of this thread

It's insanely good yeah, the struggle of the one sane person against the deranged hordes

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There are people who legitimately think that Joel is a good human being and not a monster. Sometimes I think people forget that Joel was a hunter before he found EllieThen again, there are also people who think that Big Boss still hasn't slid into doing a bunch of evil poo poo.

I finally finished the main part of RDR2 and as for that, the missions where there was no combat stands heads and shoulders above the rest for me. The shooting is functional but really bores me.

RDR2's strong point is definitely it's story even though the game really starts to suffer from Rockstaritis during the last chapter. Everyone pretty much knows where its headed yet you keep listening to idiots and assholes for about 5 missions too long.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's a hot steamy take.

All I'm hearing is that you have absolutely no idea how to interpret anything in fiction. You sound like you think the ending of Inception is about tops.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

too many bloater arguments itt

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Important: what did Joel think of the Yakuza games

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arist posted:

All I'm hearing is that you have absolutely no idea how to interpret anything in fiction. You sound like you think the ending of Inception is about tops.

You sound like you’re real fun at parties.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Joel made a living dealing in counterfeit STAMINAN LIGHTS but he wasn't happy about it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

blackguy32 posted:

There are people who legitimately think that Joel is a good human being and not a monster.

hes a person making a selfish decision after experiencing personal growth. he was a monster before you ever take control of him.

also i think the idea of the ending only works if the vaccine is real entirely misses the point of the motivation behind the decision and allows for an excuse to justify the behavior one way or the other. leaving it vague is the only way the ending works because its not even about whether or not the vaccine was real (definitely wasnt real tho)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you're trying to ascribe good/evil morality to any of the parties involved in TLoU then you do not understand the ending

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Important: what did Joel think of the Yakuza games

Yakuza 1 is about Kiryu protecting a surrogate daughter while they're both hunted by violent thugs, and in the end he successfully defends both her innocence and his honor. I guess it would lead to either Joel's cathartic emotional breakthrough or his suicide.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

And Yakuza 6 is all about how Kiryu is really one of the worst parents ever so I guess it's full circle.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

What % chance at saving humanity is worth sacrificing your daughter?

25%?
50%?
99%?

Joel's answer is gunshot, so it doesnt matter if it 'works narritively' or if the lore supports it, or how real it is. He is fully willing to sacrifice humanities future and would have if it was 100% certain. Ellie would probably be super cool giving herself up at one of those % points.for sure by 99% this will work. The complexity comes with withholding even that choice from her 'for her own protection'

I would have done the same thing as Joel. But I have daughters. I dont think that makes it the 'right' choice.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
joel-chan

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Also. I love him but Kiyru is the worst videogame dad that's not an explicit villian.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Joel is a loving monster and it's the entire reason the ending is good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

TLOU spoilers

I think the fireflies are probably not a great bunch of lads, but I also think Joel took away a teenage girl's agency. Which is really a "who gives a poo poo, nice one Joel" to me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bombadilillo posted:

Also. I love him but Kiyru is the worst videogame dad that's not an explicit villian.

Hey kiddo, I’m gonna send you away for safety.

*Haruka gets kidnapped again*

Ah, well. Nevertheless.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
As a teenager and this a minor, Ellie has no legal agency. According to ancient common law which undoubtedly governs Joel's actions, he had the legal and ethical obligation to decide for Ellie and also to gather a dowry for her suitors and therefore was correct in looking all bodies he could and also

Anyways what's the first dad game ? Not of some random girl with you but like an actual kid, adopted or not

Yakuza surely can't be the first

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JBP posted:

I think the fireflies are probably not a great bunch of lads, but I also think Joel took away a teenage girl's agency. Which is really a "who gives a poo poo, nice one Joel" to me.

i dont know if i would argue that taking away a kids ability to die for politics is removing agency

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

As a teenager and this a minor, Ellie has no legal agency. According to ancient common law which undoubtedly governs Joel's actions, he had the legal and ethical obligation to decide for Ellie and also to gather a dowry for her suitors and therefore was correct in looking all bodies he could and also

Anyways what's the first dad game ? Not of some random girl with you but like an actual kid, adopted or not

Killer post/av combo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

rabidsquid posted:

i dont know if i would argue that taking away a kids ability to die for politics is removing agency

It is to me, but it isn't the wrong thing to do. For whoever asked why I liked the ending, it's because you got to reflect on the game and the world. It's a crappy place, Joel wants to be happy, Ellie has a delusional chosen one complex and she's enabled by assholes experiencing the same.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

What % chance at solving a guy's problems by bringing him whiskey is worth beating up a dozen rowdy youths??

25%?
50%?
99%?

Kiryu's answer is Tiger Drop, so it doesnt matter if it 'works narritively' or if the lore supports it, or how real it is. He is fully willing to sacrifice these kids' ability to walk and would have if it was 1% certain. Drunk guy might be cool passing up a drink at one of those % points. The complexity comes with withholding even that choice from him 'for his own protection'

I would have done the same thing as Kiryu. But I have a drinking problem. I dont think that makes it the 'right' choice.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

mastershakeman posted:

final fight. donkey kong.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

What % chance at solving a guy's problems by bringing him whiskey is worth beating up a dozen rowdy youths??

25%?
50%?
99%?

Kiryu's answer is Tiger Drop, so it doesnt matter if it 'works narritively' or if the lore supports it, or how real it is. He is fully willing to sacrifice these kids' ability to walk and would have if it was 1% certain. Drunk guy might be cool passing up a drink at one of those % points. The complexity comes with withholding even that choice from him 'for his own protection'

I would have done the same thing as Kiryu. But I have a drinking problem. I dont think that makes it the 'right' choice.

:swoon:

substory complete

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7L40u-2JpQ

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

TLOU spoilers

Obviously there is gray area and that's part of what makes it interesting. You can draw your own conclusions about how full of poo poo they were from the story but obviously there is no answer that was set in stone. I think most of those responses you are referring to have been in response to the many people who like to say "Joel was actually da bad guy!!" which I think is a huge oversimplification.

JBP posted:

How did he do that? How did the fireflies provide her any agency in the first place when they attacked them and decided they were going to kill her without telling her?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 20, 2018

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

who gives a poo poo about the fireflies. the whole story is about joel, ellie and their relationship. the ending deals with how that is affected by joels actions and ellies response to those actions and kermit's everlasting love. geez.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not an oversimplification. Accepting Joel as anything other than the villain of Ellie's story requires placing the vaccine and its chance of success at the forefront, which it's just not. It's not "grey" or ambiguous, it's just not important.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Come on people, the story can be read from a number of ways. There is no one true way to interpret it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Only brokebrained weirdos think Joel did the right thing at the end of TLOU, which is why this discussion resurfaces on these forums every few months.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm actually working for Naughty Dogs at the moment and we're subtitling the second game The Last of Us 2: Joel Badman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"Joel is the bad guy" is the most basic bitch take on the ending out there.