Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Endless Mike posted:

Dewey, ruiner of WWE.

¿Que?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dewey Foley is a writer and writes all and exclusively the segments you personally don't like

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Dewey Foley is a writer and writes all and exclusively the segments you personally don't like

Hasn't been a writer for like a year.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Von Linus posted:

Oh, actually I think this is awesomely booked but it's also overbooked as hell.

From Wikipeida:

Raven and Stevie Richards vs Pitbulls 1 and 2

The fifth bout of the evening was a tag team dog collar match for the ECW World Tag Team Championship between defending champions Raven and Stevie Richards and challengers The Pitbulls, with the stipulation that The Pitbulls would be forced to disband if they lost. The match began with Raven coming to the ring alone, after which his valet, Beulah McGillicutty, claimed that Stevie Richards was unable to compete due to a broken arm sustained the prior night and requested that the match be changed to two out of three falls. Pitbull #1 returned backstage and emerged dragging Richards with him, revealing that his arm was not broken. Meanwhile, Raven scored a pinfall on Pitbull #2 after piledriving him through a table. Several minutes later, Pitbull #2 evened the count by pinning Richards after The Pitbulls superbombed him through a table.

The Dudley Brothers then interfered in the match, helping Raven and Richards superbomb both of The Pitbulls. The Pitbulls no-sold the superbombs, immediately rallying and superbombing the Dudley Brothers, removing them from play. Shortly afterwards, Raven drugged Pitbull #2 by holding an ether-soaked rag over his face, then drove him through a table at ringside with a diving elbow drop, causing him to be helped backstage and leaving Pitbull #1 two-on-one.

Tommy Dreamer, Raven's nemesis, then ran to the ring and took Pitbull #2's place, quickly DDT'ing Raven and pinning him, apparently winning the titles. As Dreamer and Pitbull #1 celebrated, troubleshooting referee Bill Alfonso, who in the weeks prior to the event had repeatedly aided Raven by stridently enforcing minor rule infractions by Dreamer - came to the ring - accompanied by Big Dick Dudley - and overturned the decision, striking Dreamer's victory over Raven from the record and awarding the match to Raven and Richards. This led ECW commissioner Tod Gordon to enter the ring and argue with Alfonso, who attacked Gordon, resulting in Dreamer coming to his defense. Big Dick Dudley then gave Dreamer a chokeslam, a move that had previously been banned by Alfonso. After Alfonso announced that he was lifting the ban on the chokeslam for one night only, 911 - a wrestler whose signature maneuver was the chokeslam - entered the ring and chokeslammed Alfonso. Pitbull #2 then returned to the ring, with The Pitbulls executing a superbomb on both Raven and Richards simultaneously with the assistance of Dreamer and 911 then pinning both men to win the third fall and the match, becoming the new ECW World Tag Team Champions.

This is, no joke, one of my favorite matches of all time. Like its one of the matches that actually got my really into wrestling. I was watching various syndicated WCW and WWF stuff but wasn't really into it, and then I found this show airing at 2 AM and this happened. Then I started taking notice.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love dog collar matches. Triple H/Orton at WM 25 should have been a dog collar match

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
when are they gonna bring sex in the ring back?

i want to watch Edge and Lita gently caress in the middle of the ring again

here's an idea: a sex show where it's completely indistinguishable from professional wresting until the finish, in which the wrestlers then gently caress

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

here's an idea: a sex show where it's completely indistinguishable from professional wresting until the finish, in which the wrestlers then gently caress

japan has this already. some of the holds during the match are sexual in nature.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
japan owns lol

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

AkumaHokoru posted:

japan has this already. some of the holds during the match are sexual in nature.

how'd this post about the HBO golden lovers doc get here already

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dick Bastardly posted:

I think you can find a website that lets you specify and order the exact "match" you want.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I think you can find a website that lets you specify and order the exact "match" you want.

100 little person battle royale

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dick Bastardly posted:

I, for one, can't wait to see the Big Show/Rikishi orgasms count anywhere match

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

shiksa posted:

quote:

how'd this post about the HBO golden lovers doc get here already

I don't think Kota Ibushi or Kenny Omega have ever performed a wrestling hold in their lives.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
is using the word "midget" when referring to "little people" wrestlers frowned upon in this thread? just curious

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think it’s generally agreed to be a disrespectful term both in and out of wrestling

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Dick Bastardly posted:

is using the word "midget" when referring to "little people" wrestlers frowned upon in this thread? just curious

Hornswoggle/Swoggle doesn't have an issue with it at least.

It seems to be a real open debate in that community in general. The permissible term seems to change a lot.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dick Bastardly posted:

Anecdotal, but as far as I've seen it varies depending on the person. Deceased family friend I knew growing up vastly preferred 'dwarf' and 'midget' over 'little person' but the couple of his equally statured friends I got to meet differed on what they did or didn't like to be called.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
the preferred term is "shortstack" now

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I though the proper term was "British Wrestler"

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Big Bidness posted:

I though the proper term was "British Wrestler"

*in Jim "Hacksaw" Duggan voice*

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
how long has the chop been a part of wrestling?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

What was Jarrett’s ceiling if not for all the nepotism? I kinda feel like he was pretty smooth in the ring but had nothing to get you excited at all, and would have made a really good career jobber
Jeff's television booking is what it is, but the way he wrestles on TV also bafflingly doesn't play to his strengths.

At a TNA house show, I saw Beer Money vs. Jeff Jarrett and Scott Steiner and Jarrett worked the match as a Lawler-style Memphis heel and he loving crushed it. The crowd didn't give a poo poo about anything, because it was loving TNA in a far-off suburb of Seattle in a minor-league hockey arena that was ridiculously empty, but by the end of that match, everybody was way into seeing Jarret specifically take the pin because he was such a cowardly little poo poo who still carried himself like he thought he was somebody. He was legitimately great.

And for some reason, he never wrestled that way on TV.

He should've been a career midcard heel IC/US champion guys work with on their way to the top with maybe a belt pillow run with the top championships a couple times so you can slot him into multi-man main events believably, but only if he worked that style.

rovert posted:

Hornswoggle/Swoggle doesn't have an issue with it at least.
You can always find a person in a marginalized group unbothered by what is usually considered tacky, or even hate speech. It's meaningless.

You don't get to drop the N-bomb because a black person said it didn't bother them. This is really common sense poo poo and shouldn't have to be explained.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At least since Rikidozan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's one of the big problems with Jarrett, if he hadn't insisted most of his life of being booked as the cool guy super best wrestler top technical worker he probably could have built himself up naturally over time into a pretty good upper midcard heel and maybe got to spend some time hanging around at least the periphery of the main event.

I mean, I'm sure he made (and lost!) a lot of money doing things his way, but it is fun to imagine what could have been.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

You don't get to drop the N-bomb because a black person said it didn't bother them. This is really common sense poo poo and shouldn't have to be explained.

My brother in law is a little person, and he finds "little person" offensive and demeaning, like someone is describing him as a child. I don't honestly spend an awful discussing his stature because I'm an adult and why loving would I, but if he prefers midget, then I honestly have no skin in the game as far as correcting him.

And anything that I've heard from or about the minis or little person wrestlers or whatever is mostly that they prefer "midget wrestler". I'm not saying that to contradict you, but to answer the question that started this whole boring discussion.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
100 midget battle royale

then they gently caress

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

My brother in law is a little person, and he finds "little person" offensive and demeaning,
Okay, but again, that means you don't call him that; not that the term midget is just fine because one dude might prefer it.

You go with what's okay at the time. There's a cultural ocean of difference between using the term colored people and using the term people of color, in this moment, and that might and probably will change in the future, and you're expected to change along with it instead of resisting using a new word or term like it's some kind of giant inconvenience and not just common decency.

Right now, the term is little people, so we use that until we clumsily negotiate our way as a society to a better term.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The term has been 'dwarf' for over a decade.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DangerDummy! posted:

My brother in law is a little person, and he finds "little person" offensive and demeaning, like someone is describing him as a child. I don't honestly spend an awful discussing his stature because I'm an adult and why loving would I, but if he prefers midget, then I honestly have no skin in the game as far as correcting him.

And anything that I've heard from or about the minis or little person wrestlers or whatever is mostly that they prefer "midget wrestler". I'm not saying that to contradict you, but to answer the question that started this whole boring discussion.

Yeah, it really does seem it is like it is treat me like a full person OR pay me lots of money to be a stereotype and the jokes on you.

I never experienced anyone of that height give into victimhood status.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, but again, that means you don't call him that; not that the term midget is just fine because one dude might prefer it.

You go with what's okay at the time. There's a cultural ocean of difference between using the term colored people and using the term people of color, in this moment, and that might and probably will change in the future, and you're expected to change along with it instead of resisting using a new word or term like it's some kind of giant inconvenience and not just common decency.

Right now, the term is little people, so we use that until we clumsily negotiate our way as a society to a better term.

You come off as avocado toast eating elitist.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if/when AEW launches, if they have a TV deal in place, it probably makes sense to launch it the tuesday before smackdown moves to FOX on friday to take over the established timeslot, right?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

rovert posted:

Either that or a little person whom is offended by any other moniker.

I agree that you should use whatever term is accepted by the individuals to whom said term is applied when conversing with said individuals however.

I just want to see 100 of them wrestle each other into a horny frenzy.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Okay. I'll tell him he's wrong. Thanks.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if/when AEW launches, if they have a TV deal in place, it probably makes sense to launch it the tuesday before smackdown moves to FOX on friday to take over the established timeslot, right?

It makes so much sense that it won't happen because of how much good sense it makes

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

DangerDummy! posted:

Tell him another midget said he's wrong and perhaps they should settle it in the ring

naked

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

Dude. Again, if you know a black dude who wanted you to call him the N-word, would you extrapolate from there that the term was okay with everybody?

I already said, you should call your friend whatever HE wants. But you don't get to move the goalposts of society based on one dude.

Edit:

rovert posted:

Dude, if I'm gonna' get dragged, I will all the way get dragged for taking the position of "don't use terms society has deemed unacceptable."

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Dude, if I'm gonna' get dragged, I will all the way get dragged for taking the position of "don't use terms society has deemed unacceptable."

Again society hasn't. It is still an open conversion and the operative word has changed in my lifetime.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Dude. Again, if you know a black dude who wanted you to call him the N-word, would you extrapolate from there that the term was okay with everybody?

I already said, you should call your friend whatever HE wants. But you don't get to move the goalposts of society based on one dude.

It ain't my business, Livid. I don't join in with the guys at work when they debate whether black or African American is more appropriate to their life situations cuz it ain't my business. Language changes and if someone prefers one nomenclature to another, I just go with the flow. If a black guy ever asks me to drop the n-bomb on him, I will most likely politely decline his request. You silly goose.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Midget" is obviously offensive to many so if you care about not using a term that could accidently offend people then its probably not a term you should use. Even if some people aren't offended by it because presumably you're just trying to make a sincere effort to not upset or demean anyone. Because any under scenario where like you acknowledge that a word does offend people but still use it because someone else from a group you're putting them in says its ok or preferred seems like its kind of missing the point widely.

But, you know, that all assumes we're operating under very simple "I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat to people or demean people" ideas and not "I need to protect my ego and sense of having done nothing wrong." Which is usually the problem with these arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I am calling them all, wrestler or otherwise, "minis" and I do not give the slightest gently caress who is offended - they're wrong, and I'm right. And that's the bottom line.