Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ham Equity posted:

Not sure what the best thread for this would be: I have a desk setup like so:

The two speakers are plugged into my PC via an 1/8"/headphone jack to two 1/4" jacks. The speakers seem to have a problem with my widescreen monitor; they have a bunch of static, and when I do things on the widescreen monitor (play video, play a game, scroll the bar on a webpage, etc.) I can here the static changing/getting worse/better. Shutting off or unplugging that monitor makes the static go away. I've run into the same issue with the speakers plugged into the same power strip as the monitor and a different power strip from the monitor, with three different DisplayPort outputs, and with both the headphone jack on the back and the front of my PC case; what the gently caress is going on here? I do not have the same problem with my USB headset.

If there's a better thread to post this in, that would be good, too.

The monitor (or most likely its power block) is probably producing a lot of electromagnetic static noise that's getting picked up by the speaker cables like an antenna picks up radio waves.
if you move it physically farther away from the speaker cables you should notice that the noise lessens.

You can reduce some of this noise by sticking ferrite chokes/rings on the cables. you could also replace them with better-shielded cables or just try wrapping them in aluminum foil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Sounds like you should definitely try geo-caching.

It's a game where people hide Things, in Places, log the location on a database, which you look at through the app and then go and find. They can be anything. Some are easy, some are hard. Some are custom made pieces of camouflage that blend in, some are a bit of tupperware under a rock. The only thing they have in common is a piece of paper inside which you sign and date, then you log the find on the app, and the green dot turns to a yellow smiley face, which is tremendously satisfying.

The finding part is fun, but the point is that someone is bringing you to that Place. Even in your own city, you'll discover neighbourhoods and parks you never had before.

This coupled with an electric bike seems like a fantastic way to spend a day...

How do I see what games are taking place in local parks? I was thinking of going to a game at the Minute Maid park. I also saw a billboard advert for the Ren Faire on 7th October so I'll definitely check that out.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

BonHair posted:

Talent is bullshit, the secret to all good creative endeavours is practice and more practice. Going out and getting some canvases and acrylic paints and brushes is pretty affordable for a hobby, and a good start is just doing it and seeing if you could stick with it.

If you're into it, getting a teacher or class is probably worth it after a few months.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

not that I'm qualified for anything, but It can absolutely help. Just get some paper. Start with pencils if you've got them, get some paint and brushes if you can, and have a go. Don't over think it just put poo poo on paper and see what happens.

thanks, buds. i need something as an outlet, and I like to doodle. i have no talent whatsoever, but i can see paintings i'd like to make in my mind. i have lucid dreams a good bit of a time, and i'd like to try to recreate them, even symbolically.
i like colors

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Qubee posted:

Can someone recommend must-do activities whilst in Houston?

You might have better luck in the Houston thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032564&pagenumber=147&perpage=40

Houston is massive on a scale most people don't really comprehend. Depending on where you're staying, NASA is a 30 minute drive. Ren Faire is a little over an hour if traffic is on your side. And the public transportation is almost non existent.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Qubee posted:

seems like a fantastic way to spend a day...

It genuinely is. Many days, even. There are 3-4 million around the world, thousands in every city.

It’s one of the coolest things humans have done. Everyone does it for free, for fun.

I’m on the road but there is a subreddit and lots of YouTubes with more details to get started. I’ve had an article about it brewing for a while which I might try to finish off.

The story of how it started is cool. The US had gps technology for years, but deliberately scrambled the signal so other people couldn’t use it. Then about 20 years ago they realised this was pretty stupid, and decided to stop scrambling it. Almost immediately someone recognised you could use it for a treasure hunt game and went and hid something in the woods. And it went from there. It’s a way of playing with satellites.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ham Equity posted:

The two speakers are plugged into my PC via an 1/8"/headphone jack to two 1/4" jacks. The speakers seem to have a problem with my widescreen monitor; they have a bunch of static, and when I do things on the widescreen monitor (play video, play a game, scroll the bar on a webpage, etc.) I can here the static changing/getting worse/better. Shutting off or unplugging that monitor makes the static go away. I've run into the same issue with the speakers plugged into the same power strip as the monitor and a different power strip from the monitor, with three different DisplayPort outputs, and with both the headphone jack on the back and the front of my PC case; what the gently caress is going on here? I do not have the same problem with my USB headset.

Your video card produces a giant amount of EMF, and it shares a ground with the sound card on your motherboard. I have the same problem. You can solve it with a simple USB dongle dac like the cheapo Apple USB-C one. Grab an adapter if you don't have a C port, it's really a usb2 device anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
quote isn't edit

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

blight rhino posted:

thanks, buds. i need something as an outlet, and I like to doodle. i have no talent whatsoever, but i can see paintings i'd like to make in my mind. i have lucid dreams a good bit of a time, and i'd like to try to recreate them, even symbolically.
i like colors

If you know what you want, you're 90% of the way, go out and do it! And as mentioned, talent is bullshit, practice is the secret that all "talented" people use. When you've done a few paintings, try to describe what's missing or wrong with them compared to your vision. That will help you get better, maybe with the help of a teacher.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
There's this intersection in my neighborhood for which I'm curious about the rules of the road (the state of Georgia in the US). The intersection is pictured below. If two cars are traveling in opposite directions on Road A towards the intersection with Road B, both intending to turn onto Road B, I assume the car who will be making a right-hand turn has the right-of-way. This is evidently not how everyone in the neighborhood understands this intersection, as I've been that car and had to stop because the car making a left did not. Which is correct in this situation?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Whoever wants it more

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Officially, the car turning right has the right of way. But in practice?

greazeball posted:

Whoever wants it more

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hooah posted:

There's this intersection in my neighborhood for which I'm curious about the rules of the road (the state of Georgia in the US). The intersection is pictured below. If two cars are traveling in opposite directions on Road A towards the intersection with Road B, both intending to turn onto Road B, I assume the car who will be making a right-hand turn has the right-of-way.

It’s GA so each driver needs to wave the other through like “no you go ahead” until someone loses the battle of wills.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Based on the angles, it's possible that people turning left think they're kind of going straight

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Should I be worried about the electrical situation in my apartment if the landlord just replaced two burnt-out bulbs in the hallway and they're already flickering like crazy?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Possibly, but the most likely explanation, I'd guess, is that the landlord bought cheap LED lights and either they were DOA or they're on a dimmer circuit that they aren't compatible with.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Are the new bulbs CFL/LED and are the lights on a dimmer switch? You can get lots of flickering by using fluorescents/leds that aren't specifically designed to work with dimmers. If that's the case you probably won't burn your house down.

But you should bug the landlord about it regardless.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks y'all. I don't think they're LEDs and it's not a dimmer switch just a regular on/off switch, but I'm not 100% on the first part. I will definitely bug them about it, they're pretty good about fixing (some) things around here.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

blight rhino posted:

i like colors

Like BonHair said, it's really not about talent, it's about practise. Drawing and painting and stuff is really a bunch of skills that are learned, practised and improved like any other. It's just one of those things that looks effortless when good artists do it, because you don't see the zillions of hours of practice and previous art that led up to that point.

Anyway, my point is: don't let "oh I'm not talented" hold you back! And if you do want to draw or paint better, lessons and practise will absolutely help.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Why does my neighbor spend more time idling and revving his motorcycle than actually riding it? It seems new and not like a beater that he's trying to repair. My best guess is that his wife doesn't want him to ride it and so he just sits and revs while daydreaming about riding the open road. Is there a more valid possibility?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

regulargonzalez posted:

Why does my neighbor spend more time idling and revving his motorcycle than actually riding it? It seems new and not like a beater that he's trying to repair. My best guess is that his wife doesn't want him to ride it and so he just sits and revs while daydreaming about riding the open road. Is there a more valid possibility?

There's a special kind of rear end in a top hat that advertises ownership of a motorcycle by idling it in as noticeable fashion as possible. Maybe some mutated version of a mating call. I had a guy who would back his up to the outdoor patio at my local pub and idle it, exhaust pointed directly at the patrons, for like fifteen minutes. I think he might have been a forceps birth.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

At American stop signs, do you really need to come to a complete stop? I've been doing it at every stop sign but sometimes, it's total overkill when the roads are empty, clearly visible, and there's absolutely no traffic nearby. Can you get in a lot of trouble for not coming to a complete stop? It seems especially silly when it's just me and one other person and I come to a stop, go, and then they can go.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Qubee posted:

At American stop signs, do you really need to come to a complete stop? I've been doing it at every stop sign but sometimes, it's total overkill when the roads are empty, clearly visible, and there's absolutely no traffic nearby. Can you get in a lot of trouble for not coming to a complete stop? It seems especially silly when it's just me and one other person and I come to a stop, go, and then they can go.

If there's a cop there and he feels like it, yeah, you can get a ticket for a rolling stop.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The safety reason behind coming to a complete stop is that if someone rear ends a car that's still rolling, it will fly out into the intersection.

Now much of a difference that really makes is debatable, but you can get ticketed for it. And I guess it's always possible for some rear end in a top hat to come speeding up behind you.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Qubee posted:

If you're still rolling around Houston, yes. I got pulled over for it last week.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

why does fedex route everything/most everything through its main hub, memphis? i have a quite vital overnight package i need from encino, ca. i live in tucson, az. how is it more efficient to have that package go from encino to memphis to tucson than having some much wider network that would allow packages in need of relatively short distance delivery to take advantage of the increased number of connections/edges.

:psyduck:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That’s their model so they can guarantee overnight shipping. Pick up the packages and get them to an airport during the day, fly the packages to Memphis, sort all the packages at night in a giant operation, fly the packages out the next morning, truck them out the next day.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

sure, and in ideal conditions, i see how it works. but what if there's a massive storm over memphis that delays flights for 4-8hr, if not longer? what if the airport's locked down for some security reason? now you've got tons of inbound flights delayed, and pretty much any overnight delivery on one of those will be late.

bottlenecking your system like that seems like...bad logistics, no? don't you want as many possible connections to maximize random disconnections? obviously they can't connect every airport to every other airport, but you'd think they'd have branches between like la, phoenix, and sf. or ny, boston, and dc. or something rather than routing almost everything through memphis.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

The other answer you'd get from the car hate thread is that no one gives a poo poo about rules for cars, no one is gonna punish you for your actual actions in a car, only for your skin colour or whatever.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

abelwingnut posted:

why does fedex route everything/most everything through its main hub, memphis? i have a quite vital overnight package i need from encino, ca. i live in tucson, az. how is it more efficient to have that package go from encino to memphis to tucson than having some much wider network that would allow packages in need of relatively short distance delivery to take advantage of the increased number of connections/edges.

:psyduck:

FedEx's goal is to minimize their total operating costs. They've already got the central sorting facility in Memphis and moving to a different operating model would be very expensive, so they'd need some reason to believe that spending that money would pay off. So far they apparently haven't found it.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Qubee posted:

just saying, this also goes for stop signs in other countries. The consequences of not stopping and getting caught can obviously vary wildly.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

sure, and in ideal conditions, i see how it works. but what if there's a massive storm over memphis that delays flights for 4-8hr, if not longer? what if the airport's locked down for some security reason? now you've got tons of inbound flights delayed, and pretty much any overnight delivery on one of those will be late.

bottlenecking your system like that seems like...bad logistics, no? don't you want as many possible connections to maximize random disconnections? obviously they can't connect every airport to every other airport, but you'd think they'd have branches between like la, phoenix, and sf. or ny, boston, and dc. or something rather than routing almost everything through memphis.

Incorporating even one redundant sorting location would double the number of planes they have to own and flights they have to pay for, plus two sorting operations, which involve a huge amount of space and machinery and labor.

Also it would mean a lot more complication at the originating facility. In their current model it doesn't matter where a package is going, it goes to Memphis. Easy peasy. With more than one sorting facility, you would have to separate the packages at the origin based on which sorting facility they're going to, which requires labor, space, and time. Every origin would have to become its own little sorting operation. All this when you're under the gun to get things to the sorting facility in time for the overnight sort.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Qubee posted:

I've never had someone so perfectly distill my entire existence down into one post and it is like finally understanding the meaning of life. I don't know why my brain is the way it is. I'll freak out about eating lots of rosemary but I'm okay with letting lint build up in a dryer.

Can someone recommend must-do activities whilst in Houston? Right now, I'm loving randomly exploring neighbourhoods and stopping at diners or bbq places. I've also enjoyed a lot of random parks. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time walking about Walmart, Best Buy and Micro Center. They're something so common but to me, they're ridiculous in their size and scale. I am planning on going to the zoo and the Nasa museum thing. Was also considering renting an electrical bike and just cycling about downtown for a few hours.

The Houston space center (which you mentioned) is really cool. I just went back in April, and there was a ton to look at and read. If you have the extra money to spend you can get a short tour of central command where the actual moon landing was managed. They recently restored it to how it looked, down to cigarettes in the ashtrays and old CRT monitors.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Qubee posted:

Even if you don't see any cars nearby, there might be pedestrians or bicyclists etc you haven't noticed who are relying on you following the predictable rules of the road actually stopping for their safety. So don't just blow through it.

But sure while it is technically illegal tons of americans do the "rolling stop" thing where they tap the breaks to get near zero but don't actually come to a complete stop.

BonHair posted:

The other answer you'd get from the car hate thread is that no one gives a poo poo about rules for cars, no one is gonna punish you for your actual actions in a car, only for your skin colour or whatever.

This is also halfway true. You probably won't get ticketed for a rolling stop but if the cop is bored or having a bad day or doesn't like how black you look or just wants to feel powerful then who knows. Just like any other traffic law that's technically on the books but de facto broken all the time, like driving 5mph above the speed limit.
You might as well take the extra 0.1 seconds to do it properly.

e: and of course the level of enforcement will vary a lot between different cities / police departments

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 3, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Even if you don't see any cars nearby, there might be pedestrians or bicyclists etc you haven't noticed who are relying on you following the predictable rules of the road actually stopping for their safety. So don't just blow through it.

But sure while it is technically illegal tons of americans do the "rolling stop" thing where they tap the breaks to get near zero but don't actually come to a complete stop.

Also if you are on a bike and do a rolling stop, drivers (who also do rolling stops at the same minimum speed) will angrily ask why you are such a scofflaw

If you are on a bike and nowhere near a stop sign, people will still ask you, apropros of nothing, why all cyclists are such scofflaws who go through stop signs

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Level of enforcement depends on the community - some townships rely on tickets for their budgets.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I keep forgetting to post this here. I'm doing some alteration to a cheap animatronic display. I just spray painted the original robe, which is just cheap nylon or thin vinyl or something plastic. In any event, it's now very stiff, and is kind of like a cheap poncho. Is there anything I can do do take some of the stiffness out? Could I run it through the dryer (low/no heat)? I'm a little concerned that putting it in the dryer might make some of the paint flake off and then become a staining issue for any clothes I run through there later.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Ironhead posted:

You might have better luck in the Houston thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032564&pagenumber=147&perpage=40

Houston is massive on a scale most people don't really comprehend. Depending on where you're staying, NASA is a 30 minute drive. Ren Faire is a little over an hour if traffic is on your side. And the public transportation is almost non existent.

Please note that traffic is almost certainly not on your side, especially at any time near 5pm (why, yes, I did wait in line for 45 minutes to get on the freeway last time I was in Houston, why do you ask?)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

I keep forgetting to post this here. I'm doing some alteration to a cheap animatronic display. I just spray painted the original robe, which is just cheap nylon or thin vinyl or something plastic. In any event, it's now very stiff, and is kind of like a cheap poncho. Is there anything I can do do take some of the stiffness out? Could I run it through the dryer (low/no heat)? I'm a little concerned that putting it in the dryer might make some of the paint flake off and then become a staining issue for any clothes I run through there later.

I would not put spraypaint in my dryer, no. It sounds like it would cause problems, possibly including fire hazards.

You might be able to just work the material back and forth with your hands, to add some flex to it, but that will likely also crack the paint. Ultimately, I don't think spraypaint was the right way to color the material in the first place.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

hooah posted:

We just got our daughter a Kindle Kids eReader. I've tried searching through the menus and online, but I can't figure out if this (or any Amazon eReader) lets you change the backlight color. Does anyone here know one way or the other?

Only Paperwhite and more expensive options let you change the color of the backlight per: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/review-bigger-screen-and-better-lighting-make-for-a-nearly-perfect-kindle-paperwhite/
All of the new kindles (2022+) have dark mode (light text/dark background), and let you change the brightness of the light per https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-enable-dark-mode-kindle/

Bear in mind that e-ink is reflective, not emittive - e.g. if you want a warm orange color light to read by use a warm-orange-color lamp. The ideal situation is reading it in the same light as you'd read a paper book in which case you don't need the backlight on at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alnilam posted:

Also if you are on a bike and do a rolling stop, drivers (who also do rolling stops at the same minimum speed) will angrily ask why you are such a scofflaw

If you are on a bike and nowhere near a stop sign, people will still ask you, apropros of nothing, why all cyclists are such scofflaws who go through stop signs

Why are they, though? I cycle to work and just about every day someone rides right through a red light, never mind a stop sign.