Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't think I ever caught the resolution of that while thing. I only heard up to the part where other women started piping up with claims of abuse

It's great how these things come up and just dissipate. Like people are just looking for a temporary release valve, ready to abandon ship as soon as the issue becomes non-black & white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Do you have a link to this? I'm googling around "James Deen Buzzfeed Stoya rape" at work and it really isn't a good idea.

Yeah, I'd just wait until you get home.

The gist was that Stoya came out with a rape accusation and within days, I think about a dozen other actresses told similar stories.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Listen and Believe Unless It's Election Season

nice

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Listen and Believe Unless It's Election Season

nice

Seriously, is anyone in here saying we shouldn't pay any attention to these rape allegations against Clinton? For the record, I fully support a reinvestigation of those claims, and gently caress Bill Clinton forever if he's a rapist. Sorry that I was like 13 at the time Broaddrick made her initial allegations and I wasn't demonstrating against President Rapist.

It turns out that Hillary Clinton is not the accused rapist here. I'm not really sure why anyone views this as some devastating attack against her campaign. I realize there's this fever dream that she conspired to cover it up or something; alternately, she may not have wanted to believe her husband was a rapist.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dogstoyevsky posted:

It turns out that Hillary Clinton is not the accused rapist here. I'm not really sure why anyone views this as some devastating attack against her campaign. I realize there's this fever dream that she conspired to cover it up or something; alternately, she may not have wanted to believe her husband was a rapist.
If it's an accusation that sticks, it's problematic for her in a few ways:
  • A lot of her campaign is based on the left's nostalgia for the Clinton years, which will diminish if he is a rapist.
  • Hillary will be asked the question about whether she knew her husband was a rapist, and there are no good answers to that question. (Kind of like when your subordinate does something really bad — either you knew, and you're guilty, or you didn't know, and you're an idiot.) Here, Hillary can say (a) she doesn't believe the charges, which is a hard thing to do if you're on the left today and want left-leaning feminists to support you; (b) she didn't know he was a rapist, which makes her look foolish; or (c) she knew (obviously bad).
  • It creates a division between left-leaning men and women, insofar as most feminists will implicitly trust someone who says they are a victim of rape and many left-leaning men are inclined to disbelieve rape victims and support charismatic rich men. This hurts Hillary who is trying to rally both those groups behind her (especially since at the moment she's losing men on both her right and left to Trump and Sanders) and will either have to hedge (looks weak) or risk undermining some of her base.

They're not insurmountable problems (you can envisage a situation where if Bill gets Cosby-level accusations Hillary disavows him entirely and her favourability/support increases) but they're definitely problems for Hillary that she'd rather not have to confront.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Seriously, is anyone in here saying we shouldn't pay any attention to these rape allegations against Clinton? For the record, I fully support a reinvestigation of those claims, and gently caress Bill Clinton forever if he's a rapist. Sorry that I was like 13 at the time Broaddrick made her initial allegations and I wasn't demonstrating against President Rapist.

There are a myriad number of reasons why you might not want your elder statesman husband on trial for rape during your campaign for president. From a cold, tactical standpoint he's supposed to be out stumping for you because people like him and have nostalgic feelings for his era of government. Now all those positive associations become negative associations. For someone who's stereotypically 'mired in scandal' (yes, I know they're all manufactured, jump off your high horse) there could actually be a REAL scandal. I had always thought the affair with Lewinsky had been consensual but if this was non-consensual that is a game-changer, and it's probably not for the better.

Then there's what to do if he's actually guilty; it would almost certainly be a campaign ender.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Rocks posted:

It's 6 days into 2016 and already were talking about rape!! Wow I can't wait to see what the next few months bring?

A) Trump wins Iowa. At the next debate, he shits on the losers so hard that a fist fight breaks out.
B) Trump loses and attacks Cruz so viciously that a fist fight breaks out.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dogstoyevsky posted:

I'm not really sure why anyone views this as some devastating attack against her campaign.

It's not. It's all the same stuff from the 90s, which excites the Drudge/Brietbart crowd, but has already been priced in to Clinton support elsewhere.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail posted:

…(I)n both the Ohio and Nebraska primaries, back to back, McGovern was confronted for the first time with the politics of the rabbit-punch and the groin shot, and in both states he found himself dangerously vulnerable to this kind of thing. Dirty politics confused him. He was not ready for it….

This is one of the oldest and most effective tricks in politics. Every hack in the business has used it in times of trouble, and it has even been elevated to the level of political mythology in a story about one of Lyndon Johnson’s early campaigns in Texas. The race was close and Johnson was getting worried. Finally he told his campaign manager to start a massive rumor campaign about his opponent’s life-long habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his own barnyard sows.

“Christ, we can’t get a way calling him a pig-fucker,” the campaign manager protested. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.”

“I know,” Johnson replied. “But let’s make the sonofabitch deny it.”

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

It's not. It's all the same stuff from the 90s, which excites the Drudge/Brietbart crowd, but has already been priced in to Clinton support elsewhere.

its all the same stuff under a new lens of polarized debate and emotional appeal, paired with clickbait poo poo and more emotional appeal

life is a circle :banjo:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If those allegations have weight wouldn't the GOP have gotten Bill for it in the 90s?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

McDowell posted:

If those allegations have weight wouldn't the GOP have gotten Bill for it in the 90s?

Hmm maybe if his Willy wasn't sufficiently Slick

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

McDowell posted:

Not during the Rape Zone 90s

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

McDowell posted:

There's no real weight behind a good portion of the allegations (refer back to the Vox article) and if the question is will they nail Bill this time (heh) the answer is no.

It's all out there to paint the Clintons in a bad light, simple as that. The post-Clinton years have been kind to them and their image, and to the GOP the best way to shoot that down is to question the very validity of their popularity in the first place.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Senator, did your husband rape those women, yes or no?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I love the quote from September.

“We just booked a Frontier Airlines flight for him today, which is a special kind of hell for anybody. But we do it because we gotta — we’re gonna put the resources where it matters,”

As far as I could tell the only thing different on Frontier is the tiny tray and no free tiny bag of pretzels and shot glass size cup of pop. That just seems like such a dickish thing to say when a bunch of people who are going to vote for Rubio have probably never even flown on a plane and would love to take a Frontier flight.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
No, Frontier is actually really horrible. in 2015 they replaced all of their seats with newer, smaller ones that have these uncomfortable, cardboard-like cushions. It gets really uncomfortable if you have to fly for more than 4 hours.

Watch this hilarious and horrible official Frontier video where they frame the terrible seats, no entertainment options, no cushions, etc, as Actually Good Things:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2QOhKnW54

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
The point we should be considering here is there are people who live in tin sheds in loving swamps who will never fly on an airplane.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Joementum posted:

Donald Trump will speak here tomorrow night:

That's the Flynn Theatre in Burlington, Vermont. It seats 1,400 people. Bernie supporters (of which there's a sizable contingent in the area) have said they're reserving seats and planning to not show up.

Former Governor Jim Douglas (R): "I think Mr. Trump has made a lot of comments that don't reflect the values of Vermonters but one of our values is free speech and he'll have the opportunity to engage in that."

Former Governor Howard Dean (D): "I don't have a lot of respect for Donald Trump but he is an American candidate for president. He gets to say his piece, wherever that may be."
Trump's campaign has given out 20,000 tickets.

As a result, the city of Burlington will do what it would do if a concert oversold tickets; they are cancelling the event.

Ha ha, that's not true. They're shutting down downtown Burlington starting at 1pm today.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the yoogest, most luxurious gridlock

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Peachstapler posted:

The point we should be considering here is there are people who live in tin sheds in loving swamps who will never fly on an airplane.

Maybe I just associate with too many poors, but I know plenty of perfectly normal people and families who have never flown anywhere? :shrug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mark Conrad, 49, of Burlington has been standing outside the Flynn Center since 4:30am.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Joementum posted:

Mark Conrad, 49, of Burlington has been standing outside the Flynn Center since 4:30am.

He has a certain quality of youthful dumpiness about him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cheesus posted:

Ha ha, that's not true. They're shutting down downtown Burlington starting at 1pm today.

They're only closing the street for a block directly in front of the venue, though that does mean people will need to walk an extra block to get to the head shop.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Joementum posted:

Legit looking pretty good for fifty

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Trump has the Clintons and their media stooges all twisted up.

LOL at all the delusional fools who thought/think Hillary is somehow smarter and better than JEB!.

Abandon all hope, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. We're 12 months away from PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The deal with the rape accusations isn't whether Bill actually raped someone or not, as dumb as that sounds. If Bill were somehow shown to be a rapist, as opposed to just someone who shopped his penis around to any woman within arm's length, then Hillary could act appropriately shocked, claim she didn't know and leave him. And there would be a suprising amount of idiots out there who would actually believe that Hillary Clinton was dumb enough to not know her husband was a rapist and stood loyally by him for years as a loving wife, and not that it was always about political convenience and pursuit of power. The issue is Broaddrick is also accusing Hillary of being part of the silencing and cover up, which fits into the narrative of Hillary being part of the cover up on Benghazi.

Ultimately it probably won't move many votes even if it is investigated and Bill found to be a rapist. The right is already at maximum hate level and the left will go through the mental gymnastics necessary for her to remain a strong woman in power and yet dumb enough to not know about evil Bill. The mythical middle will probably just stay home like they do for any other election.

If no investigation happens, or Bill gets vindicated, it will be even less of an issue.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Ben Carson is in favor of medical marijuana legalization.

Also, he's further polished his proposal for healthcare reform and Obamacare repeal with "Health Empowerment Accounts"

Broke? It's okay, you can hit up your parents, aunts, great aunts, kids, and distant cousins for money. Or set up a Kickstarter or GoFundMe. Or be a camwhore if you're hot enough or are ugly but willing to indulge in some really sick poo poo.
Or die in the street, whatevs. The flexibility in your care options is staggering.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Are there any GOP candidates with interesting sex lives?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Don't ever read Jezebel and especially not the comment section, it makes Tumblr SJW look reasonable and sane. A morbidly obese woman with terribly bleeding acne could take a poo poo in the front of the bus topless and in a board shorts and they would write a glowing article about how it was an empowering story of modern day femininity, empowerment and challenging misogynistic beauty stereotypes.

And if anyone said anything in the comments that maybe she should do something about the acne or god forbid the morbid obesity it would turn into a 1000 replies on how the poster was basically worse than Hitler and wanted acne and fat genocide.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

It'll be hard to make this work for people that aren't already going to vote for whoever the GOP candidate is. Anyone over thirty has already heard all of this before and the people that haven't aren't likely to side with the person attacking the wife of a dude that might be a serial adulterer. Sure, it's great for the primaries, but is a huge risk in the general.

I'd suspect they'll just let Rush and the rest of the AM crowd run with it and maybe throw in some Vince Foster, but anyone other than Trump is probably going to avoid anything direct.

It could be a legitimate demotivator on the Left. Folks talk about how people will do the mental gymnastics necessary to pull the lever for Clinton and spare themselves a Trump win, but if you move a non-trivial number of activists down to just occasional volunteers or volunteers down to just voters, you've accomplished something.

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Not during the Rape Zone 90s

It's definitely a much different environment than it was 20 years ago.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Jackson Taus posted:

It could be a legitimate demotivator on the Left. Folks talk about how people will do the mental gymnastics necessary to pull the lever for Clinton and spare themselves a Trump win, but if you move a non-trivial number of activists down to just occasional volunteers or volunteers down to just voters, you've accomplished something.

quote:

After his impeachment proceedings in 1998 and 1999, Clinton's rating reached its highest point at 73% approval. He finished with a Gallup poll approval rating of 65%, higher than that of every other departing president measured since Harry Truman.

It is insanity to think that trying to tie Hillary Clinton to a 15 year old sex scandal with her husband that everyone was sick to death of and pretty much backfired on Republicans at the time is going to hurt her with voters today.

If there was a recent scandal sure but no one gives a gently caress about Paula Jones that wasn't already voting GOP.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Don't ever read Jezebel and especially not the comment section, it makes Tumblr SJW look reasonable and sane. A morbidly obese woman with terribly bleeding acne could take a poo poo in the front of the bus topless and in a board shorts and they would write a glowing article about how it was an empowering story of modern day femininity, empowerment and challenging misogynistic beauty stereotypes.

And if anyone said anything in the comments that maybe she should do something about the acne or god forbid the morbid obesity it would turn into a 1000 replies on how the poster was basically worse than Hitler and wanted acne and fat genocide.

Wait she took a poo poo through her shorts or she took the shorts off first, it's unclear

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

It is insanity to think that trying to tie Hillary Clinton to a 15 year old sex scandal with her husband that everyone was sick to death of and pretty much backfired on Republicans at the time is going to hurt her with voters today.

If there was a recent scandal sure but no one gives a gently caress about Paula Jones that wasn't already voting GOP.

Considering there has been at least one high-profile case that touches on exactly that subject (sexual assault that happened a loooong time ago), and considering we have at least two new generations of voters in the mix with a constant ear to social media and any scandals they report, I'm not inclined to agree with you!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

[Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail]
Thanks for making me finally read this, which contains a quote which seems apposite for this election:

Hunter S Thompson posted:

The "mood of the nation," in 1972, was so overwhelmingly vengeful, greedy, bigoted and blindly reactionary that no presidential candidate who even faintly reminded "typical voters" of the fear & anxiety they'd felt during the constant "social upheavals" of the Sixties had any chance at all of beating Nixon last year – not even Ted Kennedy – because the "pendulum effect" that began with Nixon's slim victory in '68 was totally irreversible by 1972. After a decade of left-bent chaos, the Silent Majority was so deep in a behavorial sink that their only feeling for politics was a powerful sense of revulsion. All they wanted in the White House was a man who would leave them alone and do anything necessary to bring calmness back into their lives – even if it meant turning the whole state of Nevada into a concentration camp for hippies, niggers, dope fiends, do-gooders, and anyone else who might threaten the status quo.
It's up to you whether Trump or Cruz is 2016's Nixon.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's possible that Trump doesn't have Cruz's best interests in mind here. :)

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
If anyone starts claiming to you that the left stops caring about rape accusations as soon as it's against somebody they like, you can safely make the assumption that they don't actually care about rape victims and are more interested in empty point scoring. Whenever anyone brings up that talking point it becomes incredibly obvious that they think we should actually believe rape victims less than we currently do, which is heinous.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Like if Cruz received the Ben Carson treatment he would be saddled with an incredible amount of icky poo poo and would never be president, but he'd probably still be able to D'Souza his way into good money.

BTW, did a google search on good ol' Dinesh to see what he was up to, after leaving the half-way house he was sentenced to (the horror).

quote:

D’Souza’s time spent with criminals has revealed for him a symmetry between the operations of gangs and those of progressives, particularly in proceeding through the stages of theft from plan, through recruitment and rationalization, and finally on to cover-up.

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2015/12/dinesh-dsouzas-horrible-halfway-house-experience-in-a-rundown-part-of-san-diego/

Yup sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Three Olives posted:

It's a totally different culture from what it was 15-20 years ago in terms of how we treat sexual harassment and sexual assault. Even where it's just bosses nailing interns, it's much less "oh that's just a thing that happens" and much more "that's an abuse of power over a helpless college student" type of thing.

• Locked thread