Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Revearsthe.

That's hard to say out loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Goon Boots posted:

well, those movements were a lot rougher and faster (maybe the video was sped up) than I was expecting

also, was it necessary to call one of the tools a chopper :whitewater:

i want some surgery with john madden arrows being drawn in with the commentary

There are some surgical instruments with amusing names. There is a clamp with particularly aggressive teeth called a "mother in laws tongue", and one if my favourites is a "savage decompressor".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dysgenesis posted:

There are some surgical instruments with amusing names. There is a clamp with particularly aggressive teeth called a "mother in laws tongue", and one if my favourites is a "savage decompressor".

And this happy little fellow is the gouger.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
stupid question that I can never get an answer to with quick googles

I have a computer, server A, and another computer, server B. Both those computers have shared folders to my macbook.

I access the shared folders in finder. If server A has a 10gb folder, and I click it in finder, press cmd+c to copy it, then click the destination in finder which is a folder in server B, the resulting copy/paste operation takes much longer than I think it should. Does finder make these files go through my mac to get from server A to B?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tuyop posted:

stupid question that I can never get an answer to with quick googles

I have a computer, server A, and another computer, server B. Both those computers have shared folders to my macbook.

I access the shared folders in finder. If server A has a 10gb folder, and I click it in finder, press cmd+c to copy it, then click the destination in finder which is a folder in server B, the resulting copy/paste operation takes much longer than I think it should. Does finder make these files go through my mac to get from server A to B?

Not a network or file sharing guy, but my guess would be yes, that's what's happening. You could cut out your laptop by making A and B know about each other, I assume.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hooah posted:

Not a network or file sharing guy, but my guess would be yes, that's what's happening. You could cut out your laptop by making A and B know about each other, I assume.

This but also using cli operations for filetransfers are exceedingly fast in comparison to drag and drop through finder. I doubt intranet bandwidth is the bottleneck even with a relay involved.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

Does finder make these files go through my mac to get from server A to B?

Yep. Not only is your MacBook a man-in-the-middle but it's also a completely different OS and file system so that's also a layer of complication. Copy from A to Mac, letting that finish, then from Mac to B might be a bit faster.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Can you ssh into server A and scp/rsync to server B?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What exactly is a stock? Like if I own 1 stock in GM, what do I actually own?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

a fraction of the company

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's a fraction of their physical assets (factories, products, land), the value of their IP/brand, their bank balance, etc etc etc. You can't actually walk up and exchange a stock certificate for, like, a spare car part or something. It's just a way of dividing up ownership of companies.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

a fraction of the company
In practical terms, this means a fraction of any dividends paid out (not all companies pay dividends, but if they do, all holders of a particular class of shares get equal $/share), a fraction of any voting rights (for board of directors, mergers, bylaw changes, etc.), and a fraction of any liquidated assets in a bankruptcy (maybe)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Killingyouguy! posted:

Long long ago someone gave GM (or one of its ancestors) some money for investment and in return they got one or more shares of fractional ownership in the company based on the amount of that investment. At some point they sold that share to someone else and now GM is beholden to a bunch of people that have never actually done anything for the company.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Trapick posted:

In practical terms, this means a fraction of any dividends paid out (not all companies pay dividends, but if they do, all holders of a particular class of shares get equal $/share), a fraction of any voting rights (for board of directors, mergers, bylaw changes, etc.), and a fraction of any liquidated assets in a bankruptcy (maybe)

it's also what allows for the structure where the high % stock owners can dictate business direction ('blame the shareholders') not that that level of stock ownership is accessible to more than the smallest handful of us.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dupersaurus posted:

Long long ago someone gave GM (or one of its ancestors) some money for investment and in return they got one or more shares of fractional ownership in the company based on the amount of that investment. At some point they sold that share to someone else and now GM is beholden to a bunch of people that have never actually done anything for the company.

By buying GM stock, you demonstrate demand for that stock, which allows them to print and sell more stock at a higher price than they would if nobody wanted it. So buying stock in a company does in fact benefit that company.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

By buying GM stock, you demonstrate demand for that stock, which allows them to print and sell more stock at a higher price than they would if nobody wanted it. So buying stock in a company does in fact benefit that company.

So if a stock is a fraction of ownership in a company, if they're able to just decide to sell more stocks, the 1 stock i own is now the same price but a smaller fraction of the company?
And how is selling more stock beneficial to the company, doesn't that mean they own less of themselves?

...if i buy all the stocks (is it a finite amount?) can i just control the company?

Yeah, it's a fraction of their physical assets (factories, products, land), the value of their IP/brand, their bank balance, etc etc etc. You can't actually walk up and exchange a stock certificate for, like, a spare car part or something. It's just a way of dividing up ownership of companies.

but also like what do i 'own' if i'm not entitled to a (very very small) fraction of their poo poo?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

So if a stock is a fraction of ownership in a company, if they're able to just decide to sell more stocks, the 1 stock i own is now the same price but a smaller fraction of the company?
And how is selling more stock beneficial to the company, doesn't that mean they own less of themselves?

...if i buy all the stocks (is it a finite amount?) can i just control the company?

you can buy 51% of the stocks and control the company, yes it's a finite amount, and yes this happens pretty regularly

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Trapick posted:

Can you ssh into server A and scp/rsync to server B?

That’s what I usually do but sometimes I use Finder for little one-offs and small operations. This was a 12gb folder of audiobooks and I just didn’t really need it to be faster than 15 minutes or so, for instance.

But thanks for all the clarification, everyone

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 13, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

but also like what do i 'own' if i'm not entitled to a (very very small) fraction of their poo poo?

1. no, your stock will be split into multiple units so you can maintain parity
2. it can raise cash
3. yes, and yes
4. is well answered by Trapick

Trapick posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Like others have said, if you own stock in a company, you own some fraction of that company. There are three things that can mean:
  1. You get to vote on certain business decisions, with one vote for every share you own.
  2. You get money if the company decides to pay dividends.
  3. You're in line to receive some money if the company dissolves.
The complication is that there are different classes of stock. Most companies have two classes, known as common stock and preferred stock. Preferred stockholders get voting rights, they're the first in line for dividend payments, and they're the second in line for payouts in the event of dissolution after the company's debtors. Common stockholders get no voting rights, and they only get money from dividends and dissolutions after the preferred stockholders have been paid out. Common stock is generally cheaper to buy, though, and that makes it appealing.

Companies may also occasionally offer to buy your shares for their cash value. Because of the voting rights, they tend to prioritize buying preferred stock over common stock, but if they've got too much cash on hand buying the common stock can be appealing.

Finally, there are companies that have other classes of stock in addition to the ones above. Those structures are very specific to the companies that issue them, though, and anything that doesn't correspond to preferred or common stock as above generally isn't available to retail investors so I don't think there's much value in trying to describe them in general.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 13, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

Usually when the company prints more stock, really what they're doing is just selling more of the company. E.g. a company goes public by putting 10% of itself on the market for sale; later they need more money so they sell another 10%. 80% of the company is not available for people to buy. It's not like a country deciding to devalue its currency by printing more money.

A stock split is the only way to devalue stock I know of (short of running the company into the ground :v: ). When you split stock, basically what you do is say "okay, every stock out there is now 2 stocks". It doesn't change how much of the company you own, it just means that you have more shares that are individually not worth as much. It doesn't happen often.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A stock split is the only way to devalue stock I know of (short of running the company into the ground :v: ).

You can in theory devalue stock by issuing new classes of shares. That requires buy-in from all the voting shareholders and they're usually the ones whose stock is being devalued, it's pretty unusual.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

It's a ticket for a seat on a rollercoaster. Once or twice a year, it goes under a money waterfall , and everyone on the rollercoaster gets a bit of cash, which is the money the company makes. Like a few cents per share. These are called "dividends". If you have enough shares, this can be a substantial amount of money. Not all companies do this though.

If you want to get off the rollercoaster, that's cool, depending on how popular the ride is at that time, someone will pay a certain amount for your ticket. If you time the cycle of popularity / unpopularity right, you can also make (or lose) money getting on and off at the right time. This can be exhausting. Identifying good value tickets that will become popular is a notoriously dark art. Important to note - "popularity (or price of the ticket)" is distinct from "actual value", as people can be irrational and the market is imperfect. The discrepancy between the two is where fortunes are made and lost.

e -

But aside from getting a bunch of cash from the waterfalls, having a heap of tickets doesn't actually mean very much. If I buy a ticket for a dollar, and then the company invents some awesome product and all of a sudden people are willing to pay $100 for my ticket to get on that sweet sweet rollercoaster (so the "share price" is $100), that doesn't actually mean anything unless I decide to sell the ticket. Except for being able to go to a bank and say "look at how much wealth I have, please lend me some more cash, I'm totally good for it."

The next day, the product can turn out to be bunk, demand for the ticket goes back down, the price goes back down, and all I have is the story of the profit I could have made if I'd sold.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 13, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wow it all makes so much sense now

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Let's say I need to take a PVC pipe and cut it in half lengthwise. I'm assuming that'd be an easy job with a band saw, but I don't have a band saw. I'm assuming there are workshops around SOMEWHERE, so how would I get access to do this? Or better yet get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me so I don't slice my hand off in the process?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Usually when the company prints more stock, really what they're doing is just selling more of the company. E.g. a company goes public by putting 10% of itself on the market for sale; later they need more money so they sell another 10%. 80% of the company is not available for people to buy. It's not like a country deciding to devalue its currency by printing more money.

A stock split is the only way to devalue stock I know of (short of running the company into the ground :v: ). When you split stock, basically what you do is say "okay, every stock out there is now 2 stocks". It doesn't change how much of the company you own, it just means that you have more shares that are individually not worth as much. It doesn't happen often.

Stock isn't really a defined percentage though. If shareholders vote to authorize it a company can indeed just issue more stock, which will have the side effect of devaluing every existing stockholder (they now own maybe 1/300,000th instead of 1/200,000th of the company), but will also generate more money for the company which might be enough to save it from failing or going bankrupt.
During the meme stock mania one of AMC's big issues was that so many of its holders were oblivious reddity meme-stock people who didn't vote at all and probably didn't even know there was a vote happening. AMC wanted to issue more stock (to sell to meme stock rubes for inflated prices and pocket the free money), and the shareholders who did vote voted yes, but most shareholders didn't vote at all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

A company can't own itself.

Either you got a private company, which is fully owned by the founder(s) or whoever the founders sold it to (which can also be another legal person such as a foundation or even another company), or it is public and the entire ownership is divided among the shareholders, who get the final say using their votes.
Depending on the specific legislation there may also be some in-between things, where there are only a handful of people holding shares and it isn't traded publicly.

Also depending on the specific legislation, the owners of private vs public companies have different rights and duties. For instance, if you own a private company and the company goes bankrupt, in Europe it's very common for debts to be paid not only by leftover company assets but also by the owner's private assets. If the owner didn't take precautions this may lead to personal bankruptcy as well, and it is unlikely they'll ever gather the funds to start a new company. Bankruptcy of a privately owned company should be avoided at all costs.

But for public companies, as a shareholder, the worst you can lose is the value of the share. Even in a bankruptcy, they will not get access to your private assets, so the risk of a bankruptcy is much more limited for the shareholders.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

OneEightHundred posted:

Let's say I need to take a PVC pipe and cut it in half lengthwise. I'm assuming that'd be an easy job with a band saw, but I don't have a band saw. I'm assuming there are workshops around SOMEWHERE, so how would I get access to do this? Or better yet get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me so I don't slice my hand off in the process?

You’re likely looking for a “woodworking shop” or carpenter. I’ve done this for metal objects, just search for the appropriate category on your map app and call the nearest thing that looks promising. They’ll likely have some custom cutting fee but when I’ve had like, a couple square tubes cut at an angle, they just took it back, cut it, and wouldn’t take my money because it wasn’t even five minutes of work.

Edit: if you want to do it yourself, see if you have a local tool library with a workshop. Usually run by volunteers and you have to pay a membership fee and sign a waiver.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OneEightHundred posted:

One thing you can try is looking for Maker Space [City Name]. You might have to join a club and there might be some kind of membership fee, but they're pretty popular.

I also know that in my city there are a few technical colleges/tech/trade schools, and you might be able to talk to one of the instructors and slip them $5 to do it for you.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

A company can't own itself.

...public/private...

...For instance, if you own a private company and the company goes bankrupt, in Europe it's very common for debts to be paid not only by leftover company assets but also by the owner's private assets...

But for public companies, as a shareholder, the worst you can lose is the value of the share. Even in a bankruptcy, they will not get access to your private assets, so the risk of a bankruptcy is much more limited for the shareholders.
Companies can do stock buybacks and hold that as treasury stock for future sale/re-issue, which is kinda like owning pieces of itself, but yeah, it's all ultimately owned by the shareholders.

For the bankruptcy bit, at least in Canada/USA, as long as it's a proper corporation and the (private) owners haven't been doing some real hinky poo poo, it's pretty much unheard of to pierce the corporate veil like that. But yeah Europe ymmv.

There's also the whole weird world of options, which is basically one person paying another for the right to buy or sell a stock for a particular price on a particular date. If you ever hear of someone making or losing 1000x their money, it was probably because of options.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe an easier digest way to understand stocks is to think of a small business. Say it's a nanobrewery founded (or bought) by 3 people. They might declare that the company has 99 shares, and each of them owns 33. Business decisions are voted on by proportion of shares (so, equally). Profit that accrues in the brewery's bank account can be withdrawn equally by all 3 of them, so the shares represent rights to the profits made by the company.

One day partner A decides she wants out, maybe she's moving to a new city idk. Maybe the head brewer and head bottler want in and have the funds to buy in. She isn't going to give her shares away for free - after all she spent a lot of her own money (or took out a lot of loan) to found or buy the place! So they have to put in the effort to determine the value of the business and how much to buy the shares for - this is called valuation and can be a real substantial process. This value will include the physical assets, the cash in the bank account, maybe some abstract value of the business's name/brand, and finally, some speculative value of how much you expect the biz to continue earning (called a forward earnings multiple). They come to an agreement and Partner A sells 16 shares to the head brewer and 17 to the head bottler. She gets the money and leaves. Now the new folks are entitled to 16/99ths of the profit and also a seat at the table for business decisions, although their voice is smaller than the other 2 founders.

Maybe one day they decide to close up shop :rip:. They each literally own 33/99 or 16/99th of the fermenting tanks, the bottling line, the land, the building, etc etc. If they sell off that equipment, they split the resulting money by shares.

Or maybe they decide to become an entirely worker owned coöp - good for them imo! They do a valuation, split their 99 shares among the workers (or maybe they split the shares into a more divisible number), ask for buy-in cash from said workers, and now forevermore each worker is entitled to a share of the profit. If a worker leaves, they sell their share back. If the place goes belly up, they each get their share of cash from selling off the equipment.

This is for real how a ton of small businesses are structured, you just never know it because they are not publicly traded, and all this goes on among the couple of partners who own the place. And I think it's easier to wrap your head around than huge public companies.

Huge companies that are publicly traded are the same basic idea, except there are so many shares out there that your voice is pretty much meaningless unless you own a ton of them. People are constantly re-performing valuation (or just following the herd) based on news from the company, which drives the share price up and down because if they think it's a good deal, they will buy. Also public companies can have insane forward earnings multiples, which is subject to a lot of debate and criticism. And all of this is subject to caveats like people might be lying or exaggerating, some assets (like brand names or tech services) are very hard to value, etc.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trapick posted:

Companies can do stock buybacks and hold that as treasury stock for future sale/re-issue, which is kinda like owning pieces of itself, but yeah, it's all ultimately owned by the shareholders.

For the bankruptcy bit, at least in Canada/USA, as long as it's a proper corporation and the (private) owners haven't been doing some real hinky poo poo, it's pretty much unheard of to pierce the corporate veil like that. But yeah Europe ymmv.

As far as I know in Europe it generally depends on the terms of the incorporation. E.g. in Germany one of the most common types of company is a "GmbH", which basically translates to "company with limited liability". It basically does what it says on the tin, limiting any liability solely to the company's assets while protecting the owner(s), but it also has additional requirements such as a having minimum amount of capital to put on its books before you're allowed to found it. But conversely there are also other types of companies that may be easier to found, but may lead to the owner(s) potentially being personally liable.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Perestroika posted:

As far as I know in Europe it generally depends on the terms of the incorporation. E.g. in Germany one of the most common types of company is a "GmbH", which basically translates to "company with limited liability". It basically does what it says on the tin, limiting any liability solely to the company's assets while protecting the owner(s), but it also has additional requirements such as a having minimum amount of capital to put on its books before you're allowed to found it. But conversely there are also other types of companies that may be easier to found, but may lead to the owner(s) potentially being personally liable.

The US has a corporate structure known as an LLC (for limited liability company) which is basically the same thing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The correct way of owning a business in Denmark at least is creating a holding company which owns the actual company (or shares in it). I don't know how this works, but it presumably insulates the physical person from financial obligations if the company goes bankrupt. I know this is done at all levels from independent carpenter to guillotine bait.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I own an LLC for my gamedev work. It has one employee (me), and its assets consist entirely of the company bank account (which has just enough money to cover ongoing expenses), the game I made, and whatever minimal value the company name/brand has. In order to found it, I just had to file documents with the California state government, and pay an annual $800 (ouch) franchise fee. There's no minimal capital investment or other requirements for how I operate the business. Just do the paperwork, pay the money, and the state is happy. More complicated company setups (e.g. a C corp) have greater overhead, e.g. requiring you to have an annual shareholder meeting with published meeting notes. If you're the only shareholder, then that meeting might consist of you sitting in your office chair and saying to an empty room "the annual shareholder meeting is now open. Does anyone have any business to bring to the shareholders? No? Meeting adjourned." But you still have to file the paperwork.

The amount of work that goes into starting up a new company is part of what defines a place as "business-friendly" or "business-unfriendly". If it's a pain in the rear end to file documents, or it's expensive, or if the business entity doesn't actually give you much of any legal protection worth having, then people aren't going to want to make businesses there.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

alnilam posted:

Maybe an easier digest way to understand stocks is to think of a small business.

no no it's definitely a seat on rollercoaster going under a money waterfall

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 14, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
for big publicly traded companies the rollercoaster is honestly a more accurate analogy than talking about actual cash flows and assets. you think tesla's valuation is based on any real world dollars? especially when comparing it to the other major manufacturers which all sell far more cars and make more money.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

One way to value something (an asset, company, whatever) is "discounted future cash flow" - basically the value today of a bunch of money you'll get slowly in the fullness of time. Like if I had a magic money tree that grew $1mil/year, how much should I sell it for?

This is easy enough to calculate for something stable and boring (magic money tree, government bonds), a bit trickier for super-solid business (Coke, insurance companies), hard for normal real-world companies (Ford, GM), and basically nonsense horoscope guesswork for e.g. Tesla.

Related are the efficient market hypothesis - the idea that stock prices accurately reflect the "true" value of the thing, vs the greater fool theory, which is basically "lol I don't give a poo poo what this is worth as long as I can still it to some chump for twice as much".

It's all a mess, I hate finance.

edit:

abelwingnut posted:

and that gets to a very important part of finance. like with gambling and how it tries to create very roundabout ways of expressing odds and what one's risking so as to dupe suckers, the confusion is often the point. the more confusing (exotic is usually the finance way of saying this) the financial instrument, the better for the financial engineer and their firm.
Absolutely! Companies like Robinhood making options trading super-easy for retail investors is straight-up evil. Even buying individual stocks is nearly always a bad idea.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 14, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

and that gets to a very important part of finance. like with gambling and how it tries to create very roundabout ways of expressing odds and what one's risking so as to dupe suckers, the confusion is often the point. the more confusing (exotic is usually the finance way of saying this) the financial instrument, the better for the financial engineer and their firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

source is SMBC Comics, of course