Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Homefront: The Revolution is on sale for 4 bucks on Steam. It apparently has all of Timesplitters 2 in it as an easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/VidyaVolerm/status/1397934821264003074?s=20

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ponzicar posted:

Homefront: The Revolution is on sale for 4 bucks on Steam. It apparently has all of Timesplitters 2 in it as an easter egg.

Its pretty buggy so be warned

Homefront Revolution is definitely 4 bucks of game

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 28, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

Its pretty buggy and an actual port is being made.

Homefront Revolution is definitely 4 bucks of game

Have they announced ports? I thought they only said a new game is coming.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Have they announced ports? I thought they only said a new game is coming.

I was confused since it does appear to be a new game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You can emulate TS2 with dolphin and patch in mouse support, works fantastic and runs really really smooth

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
where do you get the mouse support patch

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The reference points for smart AI in shooters has always been three games:

Half-Life, FEAR, and Halo.

Half-Life's marines gave the illusion of being smart because they did simple stuff like flush you out of cover. Valve's got some smart designers and knew things like making the marines fire in bursts and only while standing still before repositioning forced the player to think on their toes, instead of Black Mesa's version where they just unloaded at full auto while running around like lemmings.

FEAR's Replicas did basically the same thing, but their big secret was that they had them constantly call out what they were going to do/where the player was/what was happening, diegetically explained as the enemy squads communicating with each other.

Halo's "smart" AI is just

Apparently having an enemy irritatingly juke the poo poo out of everything you throw at them is good. I hate it lol.

So yeah:

haveblue posted:

If the AI is too smart you won't be able to figure out how it beat you or what mistake you made and that's a bad feeling

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'd rather have AI that's kinda dumb than AI that's actually on the smart side, as it's not often particularly fun to actually play against(especially since making an AI seem smart usually is only really achievable by letting them cheat)

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Speaking of games with cursed Randy versions I finally got around to playing the console version of 007 Nightfire, which a lot of people swear is a both a really good FPS and one of the better ones that EA put out with the license.

It certainly peaks very early on with a couple of open-ish missions before slamming down hard on linearity and some binary pass/fail bullshit in the second half. The underwater stealth driving mission is absolute loving dogshit, same with the final level where you float around in space defusing nuclear missiles. There's also an extended sniper sequence in the game that feels like Medal of Honor's snipertown but worse - probably works better in an emulator with save states but I was working with original hardware.

Feel mixed on it overall but it's still better than Randy's version. After this the only Bond FPS that I haven't played would be TWINE...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Thing is, most games don't even try to reach those points. I swear, it's like devs have just given up on it. Instead it's all either generic troops standing out in the open/glued to a single piece of cover or different enemy types with a set of mechanical, clearly telegraphed attacks. And not that the latter can't be fun or anything but I can't remember the last time I thought "oh cool, that's clever" to myself about a combat AI.

E: Like, specific example. I played all the Bungie Halo games for the first time recently, and then I played a bunch of Destiny 2 for the first time and it's wild how much of a regression D2 is in that respect.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 28, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Half-Life's marines gave the illusion of being smart because they did simple stuff like flush you out of cover. Valve's got some smart designers and knew things like making the marines fire in bursts and only while standing still before repositioning forced the player to think on their toes, instead of Black Mesa's version where they just unloaded at full auto while running around like lemmings.

FEAR's Replicas did basically the same thing, but their big secret was that they had them constantly call out what they were going to do/where the player was/what was happening, diegetically explained as the enemy squads communicating with each other.

Apparently having an enemy irritatingly juke the poo poo out of everything you throw at them is good. I hate it lol.

So yeah:

And to add to Half Life’s marine AI in particular, it was one of the first games I recall playing where the enemy didn’t seem to be omniscient about your location. They’d throw grenades and focus on your last known location, but you could flank them and catch them off guard.

It’s such a small detail but even as a kid, I thought it was awesome after playing endless games where enemies always knew where you were the moment you alerted them.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Best AI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704XlavJJo4

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
the talk of timesplitters made me think- what is the best retro FPS you have never played?

I never played unreal and skipped directly to tournament, which I think probably means I should be threadbanned

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tim Thomas posted:

the talk of timesplitters made me think- what is the best retro FPS you have never played?

I never played unreal and skipped directly to tournament, which I think probably means I should be threadbanned

Unreal seems to be a bit divisive. I have so much nostalgia for it I probably can’t judge it fairly. It might be rough playing it for the first time in 2021.

I haven’t played more than a few minutes of any old console FPS - Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, Halo, etc. Hard to say which one I would think is the best because I haven’t played them!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tim Thomas posted:

I also skipped Unreal and went straight to tournament. I tried playing through it recently and didn’t care for it as much as Quake 2, which is another game I only tried for the first time recently. Even the lesser id games still nail the movement and feel.

I guess I’d say Timesplitters. I didn’t really play it back in the day other than a few MP games with friends. It’s strange I didn’t since I loved GoldenEye and Perfect Dark.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea there's a very big difference between "too smart to be fun to play against" and "so dumb it's offputting". Like, a massive ocean of difference. I'd rather have every fps dev aim for the moon, fail, and end up with a functional AI, than yet another ultra brain-dead script that's good enough for E3 demos and not much else.

The first Deus Ex devs said they wanted the AI to act like smart dogs, easily outplayed. They achieved that, but even that modicum of effort outstrips a lot of titles we've seen in the past 20 years.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Lol, I had forgotten it was UE4.

I want a old school looking shooter that also makes full use of the new technology of the engines too.
I'm not sure it's possible, game that looks like its from the 90s but is making extensive use of vector fields, ray tracing, shaders, physics while still looking like a 90s game and not a source port reskin / quake rtx / Amid evil.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Man Graven EA is rough. I mean I know its uhh... early in the Early Access cycle of things but I feel like a ton of the fun interactive environment stuff and combos from the demo were stripped out. I played about 2.5 hours so far (the next area past what was in the demo) and didn't even get the second spell. I just ended up bashing everything with a sword and not having any of the magic fun I had previously.

I'm trying to give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being, and I'm shelving it for at least a few months, but first impressions were not great

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Speaking thereof, does anyone have a copy of the Graven demo? It's such a weird thing to have to ask for, with it having been scrubbed from the internet so thoroughly. Modern game markets are weird.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

In the post EA release Graven update they mention that for design reasons they decided the spells in Graven were going to be utility for puzzles and physics stuff instead of direct damage like they were in the demo. I kind of get it, I mean who would use a sword if you can just shoot a million fireballs.

It makes the game feel less like Heretic... which kinda sucks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dishwasherlove posted:

In the post EA release Graven update they mention that for design reasons they decided the spells in Graven were going to be utility for puzzles and physics stuff instead of direct damage like they were in the demo. I kind of get it, I mean who would use a sword if you can just shoot a million fireballs.

It makes the game feel less like Heretic... which kinda sucks.

Well that kills any interest I had in the game

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
The Director in L4D is a pretty unique/recent (in the scope of the thread) take on enemy AI. Arranging a handful of simple parts in not-simple, dynamic ways. I did not think of it initially, but I think it counts.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Well that kills any interest I had in the game

I mean it's EA, things can change, and doesn't mean there aren't any late game offensive spells. They appear to be open to feedback.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

Can't they do both like one of the countless games that managed to balance this kind of melee/magic thing.

I understand they want you to use the sword but it's boring.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

caleb posted:

The Director in L4D is a pretty unique/recent (in the scope of the thread) take on enemy AI. Arranging a handful of simple parts in not-simple, dynamic ways. I did not think of it initially, but I think it counts.

Killing Floor 2 does something similar in how it directs waves of enemies

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I'll just dump the text because it has more nuance than my paraphrasing

quote:

We need to think about re-balancing weapons and damage. A lot of people don’t understand that spells are not weapons. Personally, the “Old” way with the Fire and Discharge spell was much more fun, and we get complaints because of this. I understand that it’s “not supposed” to be like it was in the demo, however, we also have to realize that using spells in combination with weapons is a ton of fun, alongside still being able to use spells for puzzle solving and environments. We need to discuss this. There’s a fine balance between what we want to do, and what people playing the game are actually finding fun to do.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1371690/view/3019080202256286850

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drat that's a good gif. I love Ralph Bakshi but never saw that one. If it's got moments like that, it might be worth a watch despite being a nonsensical adaptation.

My top 3 Bakshi films folks:

Hey Good Lookin'
American Pop
Wizards

Honorable mention: Cool World

And yes, there should be Doom wad adaptations of all these films.

If only Ralph Bakshi directed the Duke Nukem film in 1997. I need an alternate history where this happened. Hell, get him to make it today. I'll also accept Paul Verhoeven.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another trick from FEAR is that they flanked well the player... but they could do it because the levels were more or less linear, with usually two possible paths. So in firefights, some soldiers were assigned to path A and others to path B, and walked until reaching the player location. The players perceived as them being smart enough to notice their location and search an alternate way of approaching and "flanking" them through a side because they were being killed from the 'front'. But it didn't matter what 'side' the player was looking or shooting, which was the 'frontline', because enemies were assigned to the two ways of advancing through the set piece, eventually one of them would appear though the opposite side.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heavy Metal posted:

drat that's a good gif. I love Ralph Bakshi but never saw that one. If it's got moments like that, it might be worth a watch despite being a nonsensical adaptation.

I'd say its worth a watch. Its got some real good moments, and in some ways is more true to the books than the Jackson adaptation. I wouldn't call it nonsensical, so much as flawed and unfinished. (Only the first half of the story)

The mix of hand animation and rotoscoping also doesn't work so hot, the animation just looks so so so much better. Like in that shot, Gandalf looks great, but the orcs... you can see what they're going for but look at their legs for example!

The weathertop scene is just a mess as a result.

They made Aragorn look like a Native American, but he's voiced by John Hurt. Actually kinda owns. I much prefer Gimli in the Bakshi to the comedic-relief character he is in the Jackson, although he also looks more like a man than a dwarf.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Nah, strongly reject this.

The "Smart AI" isn't so much smart as Dynamic AI. What's great about Halo, more than any FPS I've played, is if you die and play the same battle over and over and over, it'll go wildly different each time.

There's enough variability in what the enemy AI can do that it keeps things feeling fresh. That's fantastic. But the enemy also have easily recognized types (grunts, jackals, elites) which have unique, predictable behaviors and attacks. That's just generally good enemy design.

Then there's the thing where there's like a little 'morale' system going on, an Elite will lead some Grunts and embolden their attacks, but if he falls then the Grunts will rout and run away to cower behind cover. That's good AI for an FPS, especially when Halo launched.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Halo also just straight up does this, having the Grunts and Elites comment on the Chief's existence and actions audibly for the player to hear (inexplicably in English)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s all true about Halo’s enemy design but I still just don’t find them to be that fun to fight. The gunplay in Halo just feels like junk to me and ruins everything else positive about it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Turin Turambar posted:

Another trick from FEAR is that they flanked well the player... but they could do it because the levels were more or less linear, with usually two possible paths. So in firefights, some soldiers were assigned to path A and others to path B, and walked until reaching the player location. The players perceived as them being smart enough to notice their location and search an alternate way of approaching and "flanking" them through a side because they were being killed from the 'front'. But it didn't matter what 'side' the player was looking or shooting, which was the 'frontline', because enemies were assigned to the two ways of advancing through the set piece, eventually one of them would appear though the opposite side.

And the final piece of the puzzle is that they could interact with the environment in simple but noticeable ways. Jumping through windows (especially as an extension of those all important flanking routes), knocking poo poo over to create impromptu cover...and uh...actually I think it may have literally been just those two things. But good enough!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd say its worth a watch. Its got some real good moments, and in some ways is more true to the books than the Jackson adaptation. I wouldn't call it nonsensical, so much as flawed and unfinished. (Only the first half of the story)

The mix of hand animation and rotoscoping also doesn't work so hot, the animation just looks so so so much better. Like in that shot, Gandalf looks great, but the orcs... you can see what they're going for but look at their legs for example!

The weathertop scene is just a mess as a result.

They made Aragorn look like a Native American, but he's voiced by John Hurt. Actually kinda owns. I much prefer Gimli in the Bakshi to the comedic-relief character he is in the Jackson, although he also looks more like a man than a dwarf.

Right on, cool, I'll definitely put that on the watchlist. I'm sure I'll dig it for some stylistic stuff, even if it can't cram two of those books into two hours and whatnot. I love the look of the rotoscoping in American Pop etc. The LOTR rotoscoping stuff looks weird, but that kinda makes it intriguing, I'll definitely check it out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Zaphod42 posted:

Halo also just straight up does this, having the Grunts and Elites comment on the Chief's existence and actions audibly for the player to hear (inexplicably in English)

I always thought it was because by that point in the war (25+ years I think?) most humans in the UNSC understood Sangheli. Sanghelis? Sungondese??

But that might not make sense, because in Halo Reach, which takes place only days before the events of CE, all the Covenant speak in their weird alien language.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tim Thomas posted:

Half Life 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t14yjrswh4w

Weedle
May 31, 2006

this is a pretty grandiose comparison but it seems appropriate for this page. the way the half-life series recontextualizes the elements of the first game’s story and setting to create a successor with a dramatically different theme and tone reminds me of the transition from the hobbit to the lord of the rings. just a massive expansion in scale and stakes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I always thought it was because by that point in the war (25+ years I think?) most humans in the UNSC understood Sangheli. Sanghelis? Sungondese??

But that might not make sense, because in Halo Reach, which takes place only days before the events of CE, all the Covenant speak in their weird alien language.

In CE you can understand grunts but not the rest of them. By 2/3 everyone speaks space English

Alternative explanation: Cortana recorded enough instances of “wort wort wort” and “ahh wubadugh” that she cracked the elite language between the events of 1 & 2

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

same, ish- I got to ravenholm, saw black headcrabs and my arachnophobia triggered and that was that for me

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

UnknownMercenary posted:

Speaking of games with cursed Randy versions I finally got around to playing the console version of 007 Nightfire, which a lot of people swear is a both a really good FPS and one of the better ones that EA put out with the license.

It certainly peaks very early on with a couple of open-ish missions before slamming down hard on linearity and some binary pass/fail bullshit in the second half. The underwater stealth driving mission is absolute loving dogshit, same with the final level where you float around in space defusing nuclear missiles. There's also an extended sniper sequence in the game that feels like Medal of Honor's snipertown but worse - probably works better in an emulator with save states but I was working with original hardware.

Feel mixed on it overall but it's still better than Randy's version. After this the only Bond FPS that I haven't played would be TWINE...

The best and legitimately great thing about Nightfire is the multiplayer map Sky Rail. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I liked how smart the imps could be in Doom 2016. One of the many reasons Eternal didn't click with me is that the enemies got all dumbed-down and horde-y and just tried to mob you.