Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

STACK OVERFLOW posted:

Well, I moved to Tokyo for an internship and had the goal of coming home with an amazing Japanese guitar. Yesterday that goal was met (sorry about the poor photography):

An MIJ all rosewood Telecaster. I am still going :aaa: over it.

Wow, that is awesome. I think you have made me more jealous than anyone else in this thread. What year is it and about how much did it run you? Also, in general how much are the MIJs over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STACK OVERFLOW
Apr 17, 2007

... PWND!

Narwhale posted:

Wow, that is awesome. I think you have made me more jealous than anyone else in this thread. What year is it and about how much did it run you? Also, in general how much are the MIJs over there?

Going by the Fender site, this was made in 1994/1995 (serial number starts with T). I got this yesterday and it cost me ¥100,000 (about $1050 USD), and is easily the most expensive MIJ I have seen. Here MIAs are >¥120,000, the rare MIM you find will be about ¥100,000 and the MIJs are the cheapest. Strats and Teles will usually range from ¥50,000 to ¥70,000 and Jaguars/Jazzmasters will be between ¥80,000 and ¥90,000. Do currency conversions as necessary.

Of course, there are some very good knock offs as well, usually strats and around the same price point.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
So I decided I need to have an acoustic I can plug in and I don't want to drill holes in my Blueridge. I aso decided that this is the only electronics setup that will make me truly happy. It's on its way now. Where will it live when it arrives?

:ohdear:

:buddy:

1978 Ibanez Vintage (it's actually called Vintage) model 981. Solid spruce top, one piece mahogany neck and solid mahogany back and sides. Not bad for $180. I gave it its own thread too with some general information about the Ibanez Concord and Vintage guitars. They are amazing instruments and amusingly seem to be undervalued in comparison to other "lawsuit" instruments that were never even peripherally involved in an actual lawsuit.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Carbohydrates posted:

Legacies and Comanches manage to be very similar and very different at the same time. Comanches can cover a greater range of tones, overlapping about everything a Legacy can do and then some, but for traditional strat stuff, Legacies do it better. If you want a guitar that sounds like a strat, the Legacy should be your pick, but if you want something a little more versatile/unique, grab that Comanche.

Oh, and honeyburst is, in fact, the best color. Good choice.

I hate you so much I hate you so much I hate you so much

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Agreed posted:

I hate you so much I hate you so much I hate you so much

That commanche is literally my dream G&L. If I were ever going to order a custom one it would be that, except maybe hardtail. Honeyburst on plain ash is pure class. What neck did you get?

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Found this tiger striped RG7620 on SD craigslist-snagged that poo poo up right away.

With my RG570

and my dogs, manzil and sheru :v:

These are all cellphone pics, btw

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What kind of pick ups you got in dem dogs?

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of pick ups you got in dem dogs?

The 7 has dimarzio evolutions, the 6 has an evolution and air norton

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

metalhead posted:

The 7 has dimarzio evolutions, the 6 has an evolution and air norton

You're the lucky one on SS.org who was asking about that.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Uh oh... I've got another EHX bug.

Incoming:
--- EHX Bass Big Muff
--- EHX Wiggler
--- EHX Memory Boy

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
Got my Keeley BD-2 back today, and after playing with it for about an hour, I like it, but it is VERY different from the stock BD-2. It's not just stock Boss, but with more low end, which is sort of how I've always heard it as, it's a very different pedal. I like it, but if you have the chance to A-B a stock and modded BD-2, I'd do it before making the plunge.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Ordered a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter tremolo today. Not a regret in the world about it, either.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Schatten posted:

Incoming:
--- EHX Bass Big Muff
--- EHX Wiggler
--- EHX Memory Boy

Wiggler is a great big box, and has some great sounds out of it. Enjoy that guy!

I think I might have fried mine the other day after I unplugged it for a few hours, I was replacing some loosened screws and a wire shorted across a capacitor and sparked...hopefully it still works...

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Wiggler is a great big box, and has some great sounds out of it. Enjoy that guy!

I think I might have fried mine the other day after I unplugged it for a few hours, I was replacing some loosened screws and a wire shorted across a capacitor and sparked...hopefully it still works...

Most likely what happened was that the cap just discharged. What did it discharge into? Most likely nothing, it just equalised the PD across both plates. When caps discharge suddenly like that and there's sparking involved it can sometimes gently caress up the soldering on the cap. If the box is dead, try reflowing the solder on the cap.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ratmtattat posted:

You're the lucky one on SS.org who was asking about that.

Yeah I jumped on it-it was well worth the 4 hour drive to pick it up. I'm very excited to own it-it's a fine instrument, really rips through my mesa. 7 strings just feel....right.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Incoming:
--- EHX Bass Big Muff
--- EHX Wiggler
--- EHX Memory Boy

Wiggler is loving great. Sounds pretty good on bass too. Sucked out a little bit of low end in my opinion, but it was certainly manageable.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Ordered a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter tremolo today. Not a regret in the world about it, either.
You're gonna love this one. I spent quite a while with one of these in a store one afternoon earlier this year. If I was a rich man I'd have bought it, I only resisted because I don't see any situation where I'd really use it (or any tremolo) in a song with the stuff I'm playing right now. I just wanted it for shoegazy wall-of-sound noisemaking sessions. Man can that thing do a sharp helicopter blade chopping kind of sound. As well as any other tremolo sound conceivable.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 25, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I'm itching the most for the wiggler. Came across a deal on GC's used list up the road. The other two are on trade and will arrive sometime next week. The mem boy should be more useful than the Mem Man with Hazarai. That was just a little too much for my short attention span at the time. Sold that and even my VT bass after ditching my passive basses, but darnit, I think I need another VT bass... again!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Oh, I guess I should include this too. Needed a replacement bridge pickup for my MIJ tele. Picked up this Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue along with a four position switch to replace the three position stocker that lacked good connections. (also places it in series/parallel modes)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Col.Kiwi posted:

You're gonna love this one. I spent quite a while with one of these in a store one afternoon earlier this year. If I was a rich man I'd have bought it, I only resisted because I don't see any situation where I'd really use it (or any tremolo) in a song with the stuff I'm playing right now. I just wanted it for shoegazy wall-of-sound noisemaking sessions. Man can that thing do a sharp helicopter blade chopping kind of sound. As well as any other tremolo sound conceivable.
The Shape Shifter is basically the most full featured and reasonably priced tremolo I could find. The only other tremolos I can think of that have more features would be the Cusack Tap-a-Whirl or the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper.

The Tap-A-Whirl has a bunch of neato features (like a brake/accelerator function) that are worth the $275 it costs, but I really couldn't imagine a scenario where I'd use them enough to warrant spending that now. I have a limited amount of time to spend money on gear, because I plan on going to school full time next August. See more about this below

As for the Goatkeeper, if you can even find one, you'll be lucky to get it for $600. The last batch made cost $350 new and sold in like 2 days. There were only 40 of them, I think? It's really cool, it's got a sequencer that can do various multiplication and division of tremolo speed, but the availability is horrendous.

On another note: I thought about making a post/thread about this, but I didn't think it was worthwhile. I'm currently trying to turn my current setup/pedalboard up to my dream setup/pedalboard. The Shape Shifter is just a piece of that puzzle. As I said, I have a limited amount of time to spend every last drop of my income on gear, so I had to pick wisely.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 30, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Zakalwe posted:

Most likely what happened was that the cap just discharged. What did it discharge into? Most likely nothing, it just equalised the PD across both plates. When caps discharge suddenly like that and there's sparking involved it can sometimes gently caress up the soldering on the cap. If the box is dead, try reflowing the solder on the cap.

That is what Im praying for. The Capacitor looks fine, so Im assuming it is. I just forgot that with these tube pedals there are higher voltages inside and caps can stay charged for a while also. Oops. Trying it out tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I've got a Shape Shifter, too. I don't use tremolo much and it isn't on my main board, but it's an incredibly varied and fun pedal to have around. Highly recommend. The tap feature is so useful, it makes me want a tap delay to go with.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Carbohydrates posted:

I've got a Shape Shifter, too. I don't use tremolo much and it isn't on my main board, but it's an incredibly varied and fun pedal to have around. Highly recommend. The tap feature is so useful, it makes me want a tap delay to go with.
Seymour Duncan makes a delay called the Deja Vu that has tap tempo, as well as both digital and analog signals. It's a really cool pedal that I'd like to have one day as well.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

The Shape Shifter is basically the most full featured and reasonably priced tremolo I could find. The only other tremolos I can think of that have more features would be the Cusack Tap-a-Whirl or the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper.

The Tap-A-Whirl has a bunch of neato features (like a brake/accelerator function) that are worth the $275 it costs, but I really couldn't imagine a scenario where I'd use them enough to warrant spending that now. I have a limited amount of time to spend money on gear, because I plan on going to school full time next August. See more about this below

As for the Goatkeeper, if you can even find one, you'll be lucky to get it for $600. The last batch made cost $350 new and sold in like 2 days. There were only 40 of them, I think? It's really cool, it's got a sequencer that can do various multiplication and division of tremolo speed, but the availability is horrendous.

On another note: I thought about making a post/thread about this, but I didn't think it was worthwhile. I'm currently trying to turn my current setup/pedalboard up to my dream setup/pedalboard. The Shape Shifter is just a piece of that puzzle. As I said, I have a limited amount of time to spend every last drop of my income on gear, so I had to pick wisely.

Double MM? Nice... Trying to get some galloping delays a-la-U2?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Double MM? Nice... Trying to get some galloping delays a-la-U2?
The idea was actually inspired by this Petrucci demo. I'm pretty sure he uses Eventide Timefactors, but I felt like that wasn't for me, for whatever reason. Then I saw this Andy Timmons demo where he does the same thing I'm proposing, and I felt like it was much cooler/nicer sounding, so I'm planning on going that route.

EDIT: Re-watching that Timmons demo makes me laugh. He's got every TGP poster's pedalboard from a few years ago, and the attitude to match, haha.
EDIT 2: I like that U2 idea too...I guess I can go either way if I like...

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 25, 2009

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

The idea was actually inspired by this Petrucci demo. I'm pretty sure he uses Eventide Timefactors, but I felt like that wasn't for me, for whatever reason. Then I saw this Andy Timmons demo where he does the same thing I'm proposing, and I felt like it was much cooler/nicer sounding, so I'm planning on going that route.

EDIT: Re-watching that Timmons demo makes me laugh. He's got every TGP poster's pedalboard from a few years ago, and the attitude to match, haha.
EDIT 2: I like that U2 idea too...I guess I can go either way if I like...

Do you happen to know what middle and neck pickup Andy is using in that video?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Thoogsby posted:

Do you happen to know what middle and neck pickup Andy is using in that video?

Google says Dimarzio Cruisers, but since it's a signature model, they're likely customs.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Gorilla Salsa posted:

What a douche... I couldn't watch the whole thing

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

the wizards beard posted:

His video was the reason I bought the Ibanez Tube King reissue. Because I had heard the Tube King and the Butler/Chandler Tube Driver were related. Turns out the reissue has gently caress all to do with the Tube Driver, but man it sounds nice, so happy accident I guess!

Runoir
Feb 25, 2007

Originally purchased a refurb unit on musicians friend for $400, called today as I hadn't gotten a confirmation email yet and was told they were out of the refurb units, so I got a new one discounted a to $450 (including 2-day fed-ex) which is almost 40% off.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

the wizards beard posted:

It's not that bad. He seems to be a bit of a true-bypass snob, but I'm almost exactly as fanatical about it, so no criticism from me.

Is there any interest in a dream rigs thread by any chance? I wouldn't mind writing a giant rear end OP about mine, since I'm more or less just waiting for gear to get here.

[chavez]
Dec 21, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Anyone good at identifying old guitars...or have a site they would recommend for such a thing? I've got an old 12-str acoustic in a case; my dad was going to throw it away, but it's been in our family since before I was born and I'd like to find out more about it.

According to my dad, who exaggerates, he knew a guy that worked at Gibson ages ago and the guy gave him this guitar, which he says is a prototype Gibson made for a new acoustic guitar. It does have some design elements that resemble typical Gibsons, but there are no identifying marks other than a small "GT-81" sticker on the back of the headstock.

If the story my dad tells is remotely true, I can only surmise that GT-81 could stand for something like 'Gibson-Twelve prototype 81', on the other hand it could mean nothing. I have pics, but I figured I'd wait to post them in case anyone could recommend a good place to hunt for information.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

"[chavez posted:

"]
Anyone good at identifying old guitars...or have a site they would recommend for such a thing? I've got an old 12-str acoustic in a case; my dad was going to throw it away, but it's been in our family since before I was born and I'd like to find out more about it.

According to my dad, who exaggerates, he knew a guy that worked at Gibson ages ago and the guy gave him this guitar, which he says is a prototype Gibson made for a new acoustic guitar. It does have some design elements that resemble typical Gibsons, but there are no identifying marks other than a small "GT-81" sticker on the back of the headstock.

If the story my dad tells is remotely true, I can only surmise that GT-81 could stand for something like 'Gibson-Twelve prototype 81', on the other hand it could mean nothing. I have pics, but I figured I'd wait to post them in case anyone could recommend a good place to hunt for information.

http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemNumber=ENS11068

Just did a google search, but nothing else came up. Maybe this will help point you in the right direction

[chavez]
Dec 21, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
ha ha, that's it! thanks.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Dig it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

They're sending me one of those for review. I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces. Barber's stuff that I've owned so far kicks rear end.

So I got a year license for GTR 3 for my blog, and a 90-day license for Softube's Amp Room Bundle and Effects Bundle. Still working with them to see what I think, but preliminarily I think GTR 3 full is much more impressive than GTR Solo, it's quite easy to dial in very professional, produced-sounding tones and the effects compliment is quite nice as well (as you'd expect from Waves). As for the Softube stuff, it was a bit of a let-down to only get 90 days, not how it usually works, but worse than that it's an awful TEASE, because one of the effects bundle plugins as it happens is the second coming of Christ.

Okay that's a bit extreme, but head over to my blog at geareview.wordpress.com and read my relatively sort review and listen to the clips for Softube Acoustic Feedback. It pretty much completes any amp modeler I've used it with. The number one problem with amp modeling software is that you're not generally able to record in a powerful, loud environment where you've got tons of air moving and the guitar has a strong relationship with the amp... It can be a little bit dead, forcing you to compensate insofar as possible by really upping your technique game if you want to have realistic sustain, etc., and kiss feedback goodbye for the most part unless you're using really high gain amp sims. Well, Acoustic Feedback fixes that problem. Through some kind of voodoo magic it makes your guitar come alive, giving you access to sounds you wouldn't normally get under 100dB. Go read the little bit of text and listen to the clips, see if you aren't as impressed as I am.

If nothing else from their bundle sticks, I will be purchasing that when the limited NFR runs dry. It's too good to let go.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Haha, ProGuitarShop is being wierd, but this pedal looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosC14nPLGY

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Agreed posted:

They're sending me one of those for review. I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces. Barber's stuff that I've owned so far kicks rear end.

Yeah, all of the sudden I'm really interested in all of the other Barber stuff. Thinking about checking out the Small Fry next.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Haha, ProGuitarShop is being wierd, but this pedal looks interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosC14nPLGY

HCFX has been making GBS threads its collective pants about the 616 and the fabled 919 for months.

Frankly I'm failing to see what it has over other delays now. When it was announced its features were hella cool, but now there are some big-name guys with analog tap delays - Seymour Duncan comes immediately to mind - and EHX has hit a home-run with the Memory Boy...

Still it's neat looking and the features are still cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o
Honestly, one of my favorite things to do with the Deluxe Memory Man is using it just for its tremolo, or just having the wet signal with no delay. I don't know what it is, but the tone coloration it gives is just beautiful when applied to an already distorted signal.