Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Z3n posted:

Get their plate number, pull off, and report them to the cops.

A million times this, even if you carry this is the right answer. If he gets out and you have to shoot him you'll have to defend that in court, and then for the next 2-5 years of civil cases brought against you by their family(possibly excluding one or two states, I haven't kept up on new self defense laws since I can't carry here anyway :ca:).

Basically if you have to shoot someone your life is hosed, unless you are in one of the few 'Prosecution must pay defendants legal fees' states.

You will also have to deal with the remorse of offing a guy you may not have had to. Sure he deserved it, but is that really enough for your conscience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

You'd be better off spending your time when you get engaged with these people figuring out the best way to get the hell away from them. If you're on a motorcycle, you should be able to outperform or get away from just about anyone, either with throttle or by going places cars can't go. Ride the drat thing into a mall if you have to. The first guy was an idiot for stopping where the truck would catch up, and the second guy was an idiot for following and confronting. Get their plate number, pull off, and report them to the cops.

My last post was mostly joking but you should balance the risk of panicking and splattering yourself somewhere during the escape. It sounds like this poo poo was happening in the middle of nowhere, not somewhere you could lane split away. Pure evasion may be less important than just getting off the road, away from his primary weapon, and getting help on the way. But if he sees you and pursues, and you are unarmed, the cops may find nothing but a well-armored corpse.

It's a ridiculous scenario, MC CC sounds impractical well to the point of unsafe and as always the best defense is to avoid driving down dark, abandoned roads frequented by the Tennessee Toecutter in the first place.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Z3n posted:

Get their plate number, pull off, and report them to the cops.

You need to be able to identify the driver, just having plate number won't cut it. I was assaulted once by a drunkie who got out of his pick-up truck to beat me up. Hhe kicked my bicycle while I was on it and tried to start a fight with me.

Even though an off-duty FBI was sitting across the parking lot and saw it, neither one of us were able to positively ID him from a line-up, so no prosecution.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

thylacine posted:

You need to be able to identify the driver, just having plate number won't cut it. I was assaulted once by a drunkie who got out of his pick-up truck to beat me up. Hhe kicked my bicycle while I was on it and tried to start a fight with me.

Even though an off-duty FBI was sitting across the parking lot and saw it, neither one of us were able to positively ID him from a line-up, so no prosecution.

Well, the plate number at least allows you to start a record on that vehicle...the rest of the story with those 2 guys and that truck is that guy was wanted for other crimes and that's what got him busted in the end, IIRC.

I mean, the sort of fucktard who would try and run a bike off the road is also the sort of fucktard who would be running around with a warrant.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That video really scared me. :ohdear:

It's so surreal because it looks like something out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

JP Money posted:

Even with armored power ranger gear a baseball bat is gonna gently caress you up. Those guys are lucky as hell he didn't get out of his truck swinging or with a gun. I personally don't think I woulda stopped - I'd be terrified homeboy had a gun and was just looking for someone to target practice on.

Rational thought would be hard to wrangle there, I imagine. Good on those dudes for staying fairly cool.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

You'd be better off spending your time when you get engaged with these people figuring out the best way to get the hell away from them. If you're on a motorcycle, you should be able to outperform or get away from just about anyone, either with throttle or by going places cars can't go.

Bollarded bike paths and forest paths are everywhere here. I'm reasonably comfortable taking my bike down a narrow gravel path, but it's going to be extremely hard fitting a car between two bollards meant for bicycle and foot traffic only.

I'd love to see someone try, though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think the most practical deterrent is an arm mounted crossbow, a red mohawk, and a blonde twink slave on the pillion.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Bollarded bike paths and forest paths are everywhere here. I'm reasonably comfortable taking my bike down a narrow gravel path, but it's going to be extremely hard fitting a car between two bollards meant for bicycle and foot traffic only.

I'd love to see someone try, though.

These are Americans with 2-ton SUVs. I don't think a little concrete bollard will stop a Dodge Ram. A smart forfour maybe.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Linedance posted:

I think the most practical deterrent is an arm mounted crossbow, a red mohawk, and a blonde twink slave on the pillion.

This is clearly the right answer. Don't forget a boomerang and a decoy tanker.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can see this leading into a CA/TFR crossover "how best do I conceal carry while still packing ATGATT and which gloves protect best during high-speed offs and still fit in the trigger guard" discussion.

CA/TFR crossover meets in:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > DIY & Hobbies > Custom MC gloves with .45s in the gauntlet

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

These are Americans with 2-ton SUVs. I don't think a little concrete bollard will stop a Dodge Ram. A smart forfour maybe.

You'd be surprised.

These (or similar) are the most used bollards. They're made from pine, 20cm thick and 50/50 above/below ground, anchored in concrete in some cases. I think you'll find that even lifted bro trucks are going to highside on them. I've seen a hatchback impact one and it sure wasn't pretty.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They might be able to punch through them, but it's going to seriously gently caress their poo poo up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmgjsYQHE0w

The ones guarding your trails likely aren't meant to keep suicide bombers at bay, but it's definitely not gonna carelessly break it down like an action movie, either.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've only heard one bollard joke in my life. It's at 0:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCTjL9zlaWA

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Bondematt posted:

A million times this, even if you carry this is the right answer. If he gets out and you have to shoot him you'll have to defend that in court, and then for the next 2-5 years of civil cases brought against you by their family(possibly excluding one or two states, I haven't kept up on new self defense laws since I can't carry here anyway :ca:).

Basically if you have to shoot someone your life is hosed, unless you are in one of the few 'Prosecution must pay defendants legal fees' states.

You will also have to deal with the remorse of offing a guy you may not have had to. Sure he deserved it, but is that really enough for your conscience?

Thank goodness I live in Michigan with the "shoot first" law. No duty to flee and immunity from civil cases if the prosecutors state the shooting was justified. I have a CPL and I can't think of anything less practical than carrying a pistol on a motorcycle for the purposes of protection from crazy drivers. If you are an ATGATT rider, how the Hell are you going to draw that weapon from a tank bag while wearing your super sexy armored gloves?

Just be the bigger man and let him pass you again or duck into a public place or whatever. Antagonizing a moron in a pickup truck with physics on his side can only end badly. Even if you confront and escape him, maybe you pushed him over the edge and he will just run the next guy on two wheels off the road faster to teach those dang burned squids a lesson!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I never thought I would say this in my life: I want to move to Michigan.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Who here rides the Blue SV650 and owns a ROOF helmet? I could have sworn I saw you on Geary in SF. You were making a turn and I was heading towards you and I waved. I was on a red VFR750 with a black helmet with a squid on the side.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Flat tires suck.

I made it 40 miles through gravel and dirt roads, then I turn around to come back home on the highway and get a 3" piece of metal in the tire. Slimed it and aired it back up... then aired it back up four or five times until I made it home (tubed tire.) Guess I'll start carying tire irons and another tube. The bike's tool-kit worked great to pop the wheel off though.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 3, 2011

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's a ridiculous scenario, MC CC sounds impractical well to the point of unsafe and as always the best defense is to avoid driving down dark, abandoned roads frequented by the Tennessee Toecutter in the first place.

I was once accused of having more firearms than Hamas. Still, I can't think of anything but a point to point ride to or through a warzone zip code (there are a few here) where I'd even contemplate the logistics of this. It is not an asset, it is a liability. Let's say you stop somewhere, however briefly. Do you leave it on the bike? Do you bring it into the establishment? Do they serve/sell alcohol? What's their seating capacity? Do they have posted rules that supersede state laws? Federal laws? Are you in any position to assess any of this horseshit at 3AM with a frozen brain and an adrenaline high? Never mind, homeboy just scored your poorly secured Nina and is off to collect $165 from a liquor store in the next county. Have fun 'splaining that one.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Girlfriend wrote off her second scooter in less than 4 months. :psyduck:

She was just putting away happily, where outta nowhere, this rear end in a top hat in a taxi hits the side of the scooter. The scooter is just FUBAR, and at this stage I'm just glad she's alive.

How the hell can people just NOT see a motor vehicle travelling in a straight line?!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Odette posted:

How the hell can people just NOT see a motor vehicle travelling in a straight line?!

If you're not paying attention, your brain sort of filters out objects moving on a set path in relation to your point of view.

It's much much easier to notice a vehicle that weaves back and forth in its lane slightly.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
This is why forums pariah Blaster of Justice always drinks before riding.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

This is why forums pariah Blaster of Justice always drinks before riding.

He likes Asti :ssh:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

KozmoNaut posted:

This is so interesting that I really want to know more about this guy!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Odette posted:

Girlfriend wrote off her second scooter in less than 4 months. :psyduck:

She was just putting away happily, where outta nowhere, this rear end in a top hat in a taxi hits the side of the scooter. The scooter is just FUBAR, and at this stage I'm just glad she's alive.

He's not people, he's a taxi driver :v:

(insert suv mom/housing contractor/other stereotype as needed)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Does drinking Asti Spumante have a particular significance in Denmark?

Are you trying to say he likes to "ride the Rød Pølse"? :blush: Or just that he's cheap?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Saga posted:

Are you trying to say he likes to "ride the Rød Pølse"? :blush:

Your knowledge of Scandinavian culture always impresses, this is the best euphemism I have heard in a long time.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
The weather in Houston is getting cooler! This is the best time to ride of the year I think. Beautiful warm 80-90 degree days, no more crazy summer highs of 106+

Plus I swear the cooler, denser air made my bike go faster this morning on the way in to work..

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Nothing beats a Rød Pølse, not even a Tuscan salami - wouldn't you agree Ola? :supaburn:

GanjamonII posted:

Plus I swear the cooler, denser air made my bike go faster this morning on the way in to work..

...your honor. Really, it wasn't my fault."

This is the one I always use.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Can anyone identify what bike this gas tank is for? It's listed as a GS500 tank, but it's definitely not:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-0...56#ht_500wt_749

Also, what's the gascap-esque hole on the bottom for?

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 4, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

No clue what bike it's for (if it indeed isn't fot some variant of the GS500), but the hole is likely for the gas gauge sender unit.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
It really wouldn't be a GS then, they never came with fuel gauges. I can't even find a modern Suzuki that has just the SUZUKI decal on the side, rather than their S logo :confused:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Not sure where this should go, so let's try here first!

I just purchased My First Bike (2005 GS500F) and I love it and I've been reading my owners manual and trying to do at least some basic maintenance/inspection, like checking the oil, brake fluid, air filter, yayyyy.

I was following this guide to get a look at the air filter. The air filter is under the gas tank. Upon removing the seat and the bolts holding the tank in place, as I lifted the tank I saw a hose slip and fall down into the bike.

Standing on the right side of the bike, tank is lifted (and held up by that 'husky' plastic tool resting on the battery), air filter is in view behind the hose in question:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/hose/pic1.JPG

Where the hose ends up, below the bike, next to the battery overflow hose:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/hose/pic2.JPG

The hose, removed:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4220513/hose/pic3.JPG

It ends up outside the bike, so I'm guessing it's got to be some sort of overflow hose. Maybe for the gas tank?

I've looked all around and don't see any obvious place for it to go. :ohdear:

Here is a hose routing diagram for the GS500, which I can't make head or tail of, as expected :v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 4, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
You're lucky I just took one of these apart :v:
The tank's overflow nipple is located on the underside, you probably pulled the tank off without disconnecting that hose first.

edit: This guy:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 4, 2011

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
You mean this nipple next to the fuel tap in a few of the images?

http://www.everydayriding.org/2011/06/gs500-gas-tank-removal.html

I saw that but the nipple seemed way too big for my tiny hose. I'll man up and try to force my hose onto that nipple.

E: I forced it good. Thanks :)

epswing fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 4, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yep, if it's the hose I'm thinking of, it's the one in this picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36878794@N03/5870279088/

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

AncientTV posted:

Can anyone identify what bike this gas tank is for?

Reminds me of the tank from my GSX600F (Katana in 'Merica). And the tank emblem seems to have changed from "Suzuki" to the "S" around 2003, at least here in Sweden.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
You're right, I just looked up an '02 Katana, and it is indeed that tank. Thanks for the help!

:smith:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
:siren: PORTLAND GOONS, ASSEMBLE! :siren:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/2627856744.html

I need the gas tank in this ad. I NEED it. It's literally the only one I've found for sale in the country, but, unfortunately, the guy I talked to at the ad's number is apparently borderline retarded.
I asked if he could ship it, and he said he doesn't know how to do that kind of thing (I even said that he could just take it to the post office and have them do everything). He doesn't know what Paypal is, and I fear that he wouldn't be able to figure it out anyway.

Even if he could ship it, I worry about the likeliness of it actually getting to my house.

Please, PLEASE let me Paypal one of you some money to act as my proxy, and then subsequently ship it to me.

edit: Forgot to say that I'll definitely compensate you for your leg-work.
My email is my username at gmail, if you can help out, go ahead and shoot me a message.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009

AncientTV posted:

:siren: PORTLAND GOONS, ASSEMBLE! :siren:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/2627856744.html

I need the gas tank in this ad. I NEED it. It's literally the only one I've found for sale in the country, but, unfortunately, the guy I talked to at the ad's number is apparently borderline retarded.
I asked if he could ship it, and he said he doesn't know how to do that kind of thing (I even said that he could just take it to the post office and have them do everything). He doesn't know what Paypal is, and I fear that he wouldn't be able to figure it out anyway.

Even if he could ship it, I worry about the likeliness of it actually getting to my house.

Please, PLEASE let me Paypal one of you some money to act as my proxy, and then subsequently ship it to me.

edit: Forgot to say that I'll definitely compensate you for your leg-work.
My email is my username at gmail, if you can help out, go ahead and shoot me a message.

Emailed you back. Lets get you that tank :)