Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I tried to watch the latest QI on iPlayer last night and Nina Conti was such a comedy blackhole I couldn't make it past her first little skit. The other guests just seemed to be uncomfortable and wondering why she was there. It would have been funnier if she had her hand up the arse of an actual old woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm related to a famous ventriloquist. I wish I wasn't.

I hate that duck :(

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
You could just see Sean Locke thinking 'It's a loving puppet! Stop talking to the puppet. It's not real! Are you mad?'

... but he wasn't allowed to say it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It was the most unfunny thing I've seen on TV since Andy Parsons entire career.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Unkempt posted:

You could just see Sean Locke thinking 'It's a loving puppet! Stop talking to the puppet. It's not real! Are you mad?'

... but he wasn't allowed to say it.
Left to his own devices he may have just started chanting, "You're poo poo! And you know you are!"

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Oh dear. I don't even like it when they start talking to somebody in the audience, never mind having one of them on the panel. Think I'll give this week's one a miss.

Re: panel shows, do they have them in America? We had one over at the weekend and we watched hignfy and wilty on the iplayer and he loved them so much I'm surprised he didn't crawl over to the telly and lick it. It didn't occur to me to ask him whether that format had caught on in the states.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

thehustler posted:

Is it true what Herring said about one of your relative's characters?

I always heard America didn't really have panel shows because the majority of the audience didn't understand having a "quiz" where the goal isn't really to win, but for everybody to be as entertaining as they can be.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Wormophile posted:

Oh dear. I don't even like it when they start talking to somebody in the audience, never mind having one of them on the panel. Think I'll give this week's one a miss.

Re: panel shows, do they have them in America? We had one over at the weekend and we watched hignfy and wilty on the iplayer and he loved them so much I'm surprised he didn't crawl over to the telly and lick it. It didn't occur to me to ask him whether that format had caught on in the states.

No, whenever this gets asked people always say they have trouble with the concept of points/winning meaning nothing and just playing to make the audience laugh seems weird to them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I know I'm like last on the oh god a mad puppet woman on QI train but holy poo poo those things are genuinely unnerving and it's just not my type of humour.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Wormophile posted:

No, do watch it. The puppet bits are terrible sure, but there's some great material outside of that (especially when they give the normal panelists little puppets)

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Fatkraken posted:

No, do watch it. The puppet bits are terrible sure, but there's some great material outside of that (especially when they give the normal panelists little puppets)
Don't miss Seans line about hearing voices.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The bit with Bill breaking the panel buzzer had me laughing I have to admit.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

thehustler posted:

I'm related to a famous ventriloquist. I wish I wasn't.

The 'dirty'orville show that he tours with is amazing tho

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Would I Lie To You is the best panel show on TV. The chemistry between Mitchell, Brydon, & Mack is excellent.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

FreakyZoid posted:

Is it true what Herring said about one of your relative's characters?

I haven't heard it, what did he say?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Would I Lie To You is the best panel show on TV. The chemistry between Mitchell, Brydon, & Mack is excellent.

I completely agree, I don't usually like Lee Mack that much but he fits right in there. When Mitchell and Mack get into an argument it's great, you can really tell that they love doing the show.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I absolutely lost it at the half-shaven beardface argument.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I find Lee Mack to be the unfunniest man on TV. I haven't seen this week's QI yet, but I fail to see how even a loving ventriloquist could bring the show down as much as he did a few weeks ago.

Having said that, yes, for some reason he works well with Mitchell on WILTY.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Supreme Court posted:

I absolutely lost it at the half-shaven beardface argument.

Every man capable of growing hair on their face has done that at some point, I refuse to believe otherwise.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Wormophile posted:

Speaking as a Yank that lived in the UK when HIGNFY was just getting started: no, not really. There are panel discussion-type shows (such as "Real Time With Bill Maher"), but none that are treated like a game show in the same HIGNFY-style format.

There are different theories as to why we have a distinct lack of HIGNFY-style shows. The most likely theory is that the networks just figure most of us 'murricans are too dumb to realize the difference between something like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and HIGNFY, and would get confused at the arbitrary assignation of points and all the people going off on comedic tangents instead of properly answering the question.

This theory is further bolstered when you realize that on the American version of "Whose Line is it Anyway?", the host constantly told people "everything's made up and the points don't matter, they're just a gag to hold the show together" which is something Clive Anderson never had to do.

I'm sure if someone actually did a HIGNFY-style show over here, it'd take off like gangbusters; while there are a lot of dumb people here, there are a lot of dumb people everywhere, and they still probably get better television than we do. :sigh:

Carrier
May 12, 2009

David Mitchell is the funniest man on TV.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Every man capable of growing hair on their face has done that at some point, I refuse to believe otherwise.

And experimented with every beard style possible via shaving in increments! Soul patch and Hitler 'tache was the most horrendous beardstyle I've ever come up with, but it was quite neat.

Ready for junior apprentice tonight?

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009

Ready for junior apprentice tonight?

Not to ruin your day but I thought that was next week? :ohdear:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Infected Mushroom posted:

Not to ruin your day but I thought that was next week? :ohdear:

Balls. I can't watch it next week :saddowns:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Grandpa Pap posted:

I'm sure if someone actually did a HIGNFY-style show over here, it'd take off like gangbusters; while there are a lot of dumb people here, there are a lot of dumb people everywhere, and they still probably get better television than we do. :sigh:
I can definitely see it, there's probably more political comedy in the US than there is here (atleast mainstream political comedy). Pick any SNL Weekend Update anchor for the past 10 years, they'd make a good HIGNFY team captain.

The only problem would be the lack of centrists in America that can be political without alienating half the country. Having one captain be on the right and one on the left (Drew Carey and say, Lewis Black? John Oliver? Chris Rock?) and pitting them against each other could work, as long as they're likeable. But that's not exactly "the winner doesn't matter", the vibe might be a bit too competitive.

The best host they could ever get? Bill Clinton.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Balls. I can't watch it next week :saddowns:

It is next week. And I might not be able to watch it either, depending on how late into the evening a work meal drags.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
I know it's been mentioned but how, how, does Lorraine Pascale have a cook show.

Tonight she literally made a pepperami wrapped in pre made puff pastry.

I mean thats not even edible food far less an actual recipe.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Oh god there's a celeb edition of Bake Off coming..

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

:stare:

Don't you play with me boy.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Nooo, my precious little show is going to be eaten alive, overpackaged, tarted up and turned into a sad clone of Masterchef/Come Dine With Me.

Don't do it, Mary Berry!

Mr Empty
Feb 23, 2011

gross. whiny, dramatic, egoistic celebs are the exact opposite of the amazing regular people with talent and passion like mary-anne that make the show good.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
As long as every single celeb is sue perkins I will be cool with this.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Wormophile posted:

Sue Perkins isn't even hosting. :(

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
My... my bake off :qq:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I don't really know much more than this http://www.thegreatbritishbakeoff.com/celebrity-great-british-bake-off/ because it's being edited at the place I'm working at, so I'm not much help with who's on it and whatnot.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

The only good "celebrity" style Bake-Off would be if Giles Coren & Sue Perkins reunited and attempted to make a croquembouche.

It would be amazing. After an hour the kitchen would be razed to the ground and in the smouldering remains Giles and Sue would be getting blitzed on a bottle of cooking wine, singing a dirty song about a hedgehog and flinging uncooked lumps of dough at Paul Hollywood.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Irisi posted:

The only good "celebrity" style Bake-Off would be if Giles Coren & Sue Perkins reunited and attempted to make a croquembouche.

I found out Giles hates Polish people something fierce today, put me off him a bit.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Irisi posted:

iles and Sue would be getting blitzed on a bottle of cooking wine, singing a dirty song about a hedgehog and flinging uncooked lumps of dough at Paul Hollywood.
Not gonna lie, I'd watch the poo poo out of that.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I found out Giles hates Polish people something fierce today, put me off him a bit.

What, where did you find that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Sion posted:

What, where did you find that out.

quote:

In his next article, on 26 July 2008, Coren said his Jewish ancestors had been persecuted by Poles. He stated that Poles used to burn Jews in synagogues for entertainment at Easter; and that Poland is in denial about its role in the Holocaust. He used the racial slur "Polack" to describe immigrant Poles, arguing that "if England is not the land of milk and honey it appeared to them three or four years ago, then, frankly, they can clear off out of it".

quote:

Coren responded: "I wrote in passing that the Poles remain in denial about their responsibility for the Holocaust. How gratifying, then, to see so many letters in The Times in the subsequent days from Poles denying their responsibility for the Holocaust." He also told The Jewish Chronicle: "gently caress the Poles"