Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Not sure if you read this thread any more... I was curious what CAD package you used to design the printed part? Or was this an existing design that you printed? Were the v-tails simply glued in? Any other thoughts or ruminations you have about it, I would be interested to hear.

I am. The project took a big step back as I couldn't get it to balance and I had to discard the first prototype. Next one (over the winter, probably) will be made from foamboard first :).

It's designed in Fusion360. I then had a small carbon tube for aligning the tail planes and it was held in place by a 8mm nylon bolt. (finger tightened).
The whole thing was designed for tool-less field assembly and that bit actually worked fairly well, although in my weight saving attempts, the tail did end up more fragile than I would have liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I am. The project took a big step back as I couldn't get it to balance and I had to discard the first prototype. Next one (over the winter, probably) will be made from foamboard first :).

It's designed in Fusion360. I then had a small carbon tube for aligning the tail planes and it was held in place by a 8mm nylon bolt. (finger tightened).
The whole thing was designed for tool-less field assembly and that bit actually worked fairly well, although in my weight saving attempts, the tail did end up more fragile than I would have liked.
I really should pay attention to avatars more - you're the murder-heli guy, and the UAV guy. That's pretty awesome.

That kinda confirms my suspicions a bit, thanks for the info. Looking forward to the next version.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

Apparently recently DJI plugged in requirements from Transport Canada and nothing within 9km of an airport.

Will have to look it up, kinda wondered if maybe it was old news. I remember vaguely something recently about DJIs changes re: Transport Canada and how it was clunky.

E: Latest update from DJI which I haven't applied says only "fixes bugs with geofencing". If that's what's going on then lmao get hosed DJI

dji spends a significant amount of time and money engaging governments in order for them to not pass this poo poo (they also do stuff with NODE to help with local government). The (final?) ft after hours podcast before they went on to be rc after hours had a goodish interview with Brendan Schulman about this. As the defacfo consumer drone these days, I can see how they feel the need to cover their rear end from ever being responsible for the news reports of DRONES ON THE RUNWAY (even if we will be seeing phantom 1 and 2 stock imagery for the rest of time). The Canada poo poo came completely out of nowhere and is the most hilariously restrictive of first world countries now. Brendan mentioned that they're supposed to engage with affected industries before passing this kind of stuff, which they didn't.

I'd suggest to your mavic owning friend that they join the NODE network and get in contact with their legislators through it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What's kind of whacked is that even if I get an SFOC (ie permission from TC to break the usual rules in a specific way at a specific time and place for a particular purpose) if DJIs software says I can't fly because rules, I have no way to tell it that actually yeah I can :haw:

Thanks for the heads up about NODE, I hadn't heard of them.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Why even take that risk tho?

I don't watch mine too closely either after the first minute. But I have taken steps to mitigate risks should something go wrong. Use fiberglass charge bags, Inside a ceramic pot, on top of a metal surface, with nothing flammable withing 3-4 feet. I usually only charge at 1.5C tops.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

What's kind of whacked is that even if I get an SFOC (ie permission from TC to break the usual rules in a specific way at a specific time and place for a particular purpose) if DJIs software says I can't fly because rules, I have no way to tell it that actually yeah I can :haw:

Do they not have http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock set up for canadians yet? In the US, its mostly automated, with the higher risk areas needing to be unlocked by support.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

moron izzard posted:

The (final?) ft after hours podcast before they went on to be rc after hours
They're now RC Afterhours.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Nerobro posted:

They're now RC Afterhours.

:confused:
That's what the post your quoting says?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
well don't I look like an idiot.

Who do I send the apology forms to? hah.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moron izzard posted:

Do they not have http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock set up for canadians yet? In the US, its mostly automated, with the higher risk areas needing to be unlocked by support.

Also related - coptersafe has a software solution now (originally just hardware)

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/drone-pilots-are-buying-russian-software-to-hack-their-way-past-djis-no-fly-zones

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Golluk posted:

I don't watch mine too closely either after the first minute. But I have taken steps to mitigate risks should something go wrong. Use fiberglass charge bags, Inside a ceramic pot, on top of a metal surface, with nothing flammable withing 3-4 feet. I usually only charge at 1.5C tops.

I don't stare at my packs while they charge, but I do charge outside where I can see them as I'm on the computer or whatever. If I need to leave the room I'll just pause it. I personally don't trust lipos, to each their own though. I do highly suggest buy a couple cinderblocks with caps to split up your cache if one does pop off.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a concrete coffin for my charging needs. cinderblocks sandwiched by concrete backer board

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So the motor leads for my 5 inch build are about .3 cm too short to reach the AiO motor pads. And I'm out of 20GA wire :/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I was wondering about this sort of thing, what's stopping some guys from replacing DJI's firmware entirely? Like an Ardupilot type thing

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Probably poo poo like chipset specific firmware images and such. The MCU in their controllers is probably locked.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm within 9km of Pitt Meadows airport just barely and I flew my Mavic in the backyard last week. Is this update more recent than this? There doesn't appear to be any changes on the dji geo maps for Canada either.

The only thing that triggers at my place is an enhanced warning zone that I have to say ok to to make it go away.

I don't normally fly the Mavic in the city at all but I was using the drone to check how much moss was on my roof. There was a lot of moss.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The runcam swift micro is such a good loving camera for its size, and they managed to keep some mounting threads on the sides. It's exactly what I've wanted since I started building quads.

1304-4000kv motors are so fun on 4s

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

I'm building a custom twin engine cth pelican, a fixed wing plane. My split is in transit from China, but I have a brand new micro as well. Ugh.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 24, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hello!

I'm looking to get into flying drones. I'm not really sure what I want to do, exactly. Flying via a VR headset would really just be super wonderful, but I'm no where near that point since I assume it would cost $5,000 or something. So, I'm happy to just start with something cheap.

Are there any starter kits to recommend? Companies to look at or avoid? Resources to read before doing anything else? I've got a Go Pro HERO 5, so being able to mount it on to something would be fun.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What kinda flying do you want to do? If you just want to put-put around a mavic and DJI goggles is more like 1,5k.

If you're ok with breaking poo poo and lovely video you can build an acro quad instead. In return you get mind-bending speed and maneuverability.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

If you just want to fly around get a phantom or spark. Acro fpv quads are a lot of work to get into, and will end up costing just as much of not more then a mavic. You can easily get a phantom 3 for around $350 if you look around a bit.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Yeah you really need to decide what kind of flying you're interested in first.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Picked up a mavic, seems like a good choice.

Now I'm just stuck trying to baby it through downloading firmware so that I can pretty please be allowed to use the drone that I just bought, but it's just constantly erroring out :gonk:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are you using the phone or pc? Updating my inspire 2 takes forever with the phone. They have an windows program somewhere on the support page that does the same function of updating though.

Worst case just give the online support a ring, they were responsive enough when I was working through it. I wish they stuck with sd card updates

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Phone; their desktop app apparently isn't compatible with Windows 10.

Anyway, it turned out to be the location I was in for some reason that killed the connection; moving about 20 feet made everything go nice and quick, and I got the chance to take a couple of practice shots on a quick test flight.

Thanks everyone who replied!

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Out of curiosity, are there any part 107 pilots here who have contacted an airport and have been told "No?" How close is too close?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've flown about a mile out, but it was a smaller executive airport. They were fine as long as you weren't above 300ft and weren't on the final approach path.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they finally announced it. Its been whispered about for months now https://www.airmap.com/controlled-airspace-authorization-laanc/

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Well the Strix Goblin slow boat shipment finally made it to RMRC, so my order's on the way.

I'm a little intimidated by this plane, it only really has speeds that range from "fast" to "fastest"

Music is silly, but watch the climb rate number in the bottom right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6d3DdiPvSs
Some napkin math says he's going 60mph at about 45 degrees up at the start there.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A friend of mine has it and it flies reasonably slow if needed. Stalling characteristics are very good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it's not a tip-stall-into-unrecoverable-spin POS from what I've read.

I just saw a vid of that flitetest intern putting an entire baby hawk power train onto a wing and now I want to make a baby hawk Martin mars or something equally dumb.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone did a FOIA request on on FAA's investigation of Casey

turns out registering complaints is mostly worthless unless you saw him in person (he probably has a good lawyer as well but still).

I don't think the majority of his shots were a safety issue (even the one flying the spark really loving low over peoples heads,) but it really highlights the impotence of the FAA at the moment (and I guess how little electronic evidence is valued in the courts).

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Phone; their desktop app apparently isn't compatible with Windows 10.

Anyway, it turned out to be the location I was in for some reason that killed the connection; moving about 20 feet made everything go nice and quick, and I got the chance to take a couple of practice shots on a quick test flight.

Thanks everyone who replied!

Check out this thread. It's for the Naza flight controller technically but the instructions are the same for installing the unsigned DJI Assistant driver in Windows 10. I didn't have to do this on my desktop but did need to on my laptop. Both Windows 10.

Also good choice with the Mavic. I had to send mine in on the 15th to get the vertical positioning system fixed and I'm going through withdraws. Good news is that DJI support handled my case flawlessly. I was nervous after reading some of the horror stories on their forums but it turns out if you can manage to type a full English sentence and follow their instructions it's pretty painless!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

moron izzard posted:

Someone did a FOIA request on on FAA's investigation of Casey

Here's the link you didn't bother to post: http://andystravelblog.boardingarea.com/2017/06/28/exclusive-details-of-casey-neistats-faa-investigation/

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So if Casey ever sells his footage and signs his name to the contract as the photographer, the investigation can move against him?

That sounds like a lovely business plan.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Facebook says the guy from project blue falcon has died. Dirt bike accident. Shame, he had decent reviews without being overly glowing like UAV futures.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh what that blows so much

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That's awful. I'm not super familiar with him but I remember seeing his channel back when I first jumped into this hobby and started researching drones. I saw this post on reddit and thought it was worth sharing. He seemed like a wonderful guy with a genuine passion for this stuff.

quote:

I dont really know what to do or say so im probably just going to write a whole bunch. But I felt like JC was one of the most genuine and kind hearted people I have ever met. not just in this hobby but in the world. He just wanted to help.

He really did make the world a better place. He just wanted to help people and share his love for the hobby. He was so humble and never took any handouts from anyone. The drone community tried so hard straight up fund him and give him $$$ and he wouldnt take any of it. I remember spending hours on skype tryign to convince him to start patreon because people really wanted to support him. He was a real legend who made amazing content and would help anyone at the drop of a hat. The most amazing part was that even though he had been through some poo poo and seen and had thign happen to him that sucked and would make most people bitter. He instead was still so positive about life and happy and grateful.

he will be sorely missed. he was an inspiration to myself and im sure he helped so many of us in this hobby. His videos helped me all the time. Im in sock he is no longer here with us. My heart goes out to his family and his dad who I know he had a very special relationship with. This really sucks.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Oh man, that's horrible. He seemed like a super kind and genuine guy, a rarity in the drone world. The good die young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Oh that sucks a lot. I enjoyed his channel