Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

I have bolded the parts that I think you got wrong. I do this all the time at work, except it's with Preview and not PS. Maybe that's the difference? My work flow:

Open File
Add annotations
Duplicate
Save
I'm prompted for a new name and path
I now have two files, the unmodified one that I originally opened and one with the new name I just gave it that has my annotations. I've never gone back to the original document to undo changes I've made so that I can save a vanilla version.
Just tested Preview out on 10.8 and 10.7 machines. In 10.7 when duplicating it pops up a dialog asking whether to "duplicate" or "duplicate and revert", default being duplicate, which auto saves the changes to the original as well.

In 10.8 it doesn't give me the dialog, it just auto saves the original (which can be reverted, but that's an extra manual step)...unless you have the "ask to keep changes" option on in System Prefs-General, then it brings up the old save or revert dialog when closing the original.

Nuntius posted:

I wouldn't. I would always encourage people to use Google's services - my free Gmail has been fine since the day I got it, where as the apple services have gone down several times and transitioned through several iterations, each incompatible with the previous.
Yeah I'm paranoid about Apple's mail outages so I've just stuck with Gmail, plus I have my own domain thing so transferring over might not be as easy. That said I do use iCloud for pretty much everything else since it all plays nicer with the Apple stuff, and outages to them wouldn't really affect me much. I keep calendars around on Google for some subscriptions but that's about it outside of mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

tonic posted:

I've been having this issue off and on in Firefox as well, with CSS not loading on lots of random pages in ML. Refreshing never helps, but closing and reopening firefox seems to do the trick. I don't get it.

I had issues when I first installed it yesterday with Chrome but a few hard refreshes fixed it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Anyone had problems with Quick Look Helper before? Lately I've been experiencing slowdowns and some of the time I find that that is cropping up in Activity Monitor, using like 40% CPU for ages. It just appears, if I terminate it it starts again and continues using lots of resources. OS 10.7.4.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Anjow posted:

Anyone had problems with Quick Look Helper before? Lately I've been experiencing slowdowns and some of the time I find that that is cropping up in Activity Monitor, using like 40% CPU for ages. It just appears, if I terminate it it starts again and continues using lots of resources. OS 10.7.4.

I've not had it so bad that it ends up crashing the machine but I have noticed it cropping up in Activity Monitor taking up more CPU than I'd like to / remember seeing before.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
If you had enabled TRIM support for a non-apple ssd via terminal, you might want to check if its still active, because mine had switched back to having TRIM off, and I had to reset it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This is a late 2008 iMac with no SSD, it doesn't crash the machine but it does make it so things like page loading in Chrome is stuttery, and 720p video is unwatchable.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

duck monster posted:

Am I the only person for whom firefox is incredibly broken in mountain lion?
Web pages seem to be fine for me so far, but now the bookmark and status bars disappear in fullscreen mode.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Porkchop Express posted:

If you had enabled TRIM support for a non-apple ssd via terminal, you might want to check if its still active, because mine had switched back to having TRIM off, and I had to reset it.

Thank you for reminding me to do this.

Also is anyone else having connection problems with AirPlay since upgrading? As in I can't get a darn thing to work anymore.

e: Buh, I reapplied the TRIM patch and restarted and now things to be working okay again. Voodoo.

Manky fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 26, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I am migrating from Windows to Mac (at least on the laptop), and I want to just ease into it, but are there any ridiculous default settings that you should always change, when you boot up a fresh OS X?

I still remember the dreadful Windows rituals with ClearType, page file size, and whatnot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The thing with OSX upgrades is that I like to use the opportunity to take stock of and to clean my computer. Since all the data I can't bear to lose lives on Dropbox and Time Machine anyway, I find it's really therapeutic and liberating to just start off fresh; take a day to install all the things I can't bear to live without.

Apple and Dropbox have made it really easy for me to get from zero -> productive in a super short amount of time.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

ufarn posted:

I am migrating from Windows to Mac (at least on the laptop), and I want to just ease into it, but are there any ridiculous default settings that you should always change, when you boot up a fresh OS X?

I still remember the dreadful Windows rituals with ClearType, page file size, and whatnot.
Nope, that's kind of the whole point.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

porkface posted:

Nope, that's kind of the whole point.

Yeah, find out what you do and don't like, then look into changing what bothers you.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I won't get into the details but I spilled almost half a bottle of AstroGlide lube onto the keyboard of my new Macbook Pro Retina. (not me)

I installed an SSD and upgraded to ML yesterday. Everything is amazing, however I had trouble booting from an 8GB flash drive. I had to use my old hard drive, boot into Lion and run the 10.8 install from there.

zalmoxes fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 26, 2012

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Is there a way to get weather in Notification Center? If no, who wants to make an app that does this and become a millionaire and why the gently caress would Apple not do this when they've got it in iOS?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

Is there a way to get weather in Notification Center? If no, who wants to make an app that does this and become a millionaire and why the gently caress would Apple not do this when they've got it in iOS?

You could use the Goon-developed WeatherMin, it has growl notifications, and then use Hiss to get them into Notification Center. Or that's what I'm doing at least

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

maduin posted:

Notification Center is for "stuff you missed while you were away". You've still got Dashboard for "Information at a glance" type stuff.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Martytoof posted:

The thing with OSX upgrades is that I like to use the opportunity to take stock of and to clean my computer. Since all the data I can't bear to lose lives on Dropbox and Time Machine anyway, I find it's really therapeutic and liberating to just start off fresh; take a day to install all the things I can't bear to live without.

Apple and Dropbox have made it really easy for me to get from zero -> productive in a super short amount of time.

Right now it's irrelevant because Apple refuses to give me my free upgrade :argh:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Why after upgrading to ML does my year old* 2008 macbook pro battery need to be serviced?
edit: been running on battery for 45 minutes now, and it says 3 hours left.

*I purchased a replacement battery from apple some time in 2011.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 26, 2012

alo
May 1, 2005

Is anyone unable to capture screenshots (command control shift 4). I've tried it on two computers, they make the film advance sound but nothing appears on my desktop.

I did get it to work once, but that was just a screenshot of me googling to see if anyone else had the issue.

Hopefully Apple didn't forget about this feature like they seemed to have forgotten about the NeXT icons.

edit: Holy crap, I take that back, there's a new camera icon (but it still doesn't work).

edit 2: I'm dumb, not suppose to hold down control (I usually just jam keys until I get the right modifiers).

alo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 26, 2012

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

alo posted:

Is anyone unable to capture screenshots (command control shift 4). I've tried it on two computers, they make the film advance sound but nothing appears on my desktop.

I did get it to work once, but that was just a screenshot of me googling to see if anyone else had the issue.

Hopefully Apple didn't forget about this feature like they seemed to have forgotten about the NeXT icons.

edit: Holy crap, I take that back, there's a new camera icon (but it still doesn't work).

The ctrl key copies it to the clipboard. Try just cmd-shift-4.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?

tofes posted:

Right now it's irrelevant because Apple refuses to give me my free upgrade :argh:

Same here, they sure botched the up to date program.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I am also still waiting for my Up-to-Date redemption code. It's been just about 24 hours now. Come on, Apple!!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So I just had something freak me the hell out.

After the update to Safari 6 on my Lion machine, all of the sudden the searches I would do from the address bar would redirect me to a russian search site instead of Google. And it wasn't seeming to pay attention to what search engine I had set in Safari's preferences.

After a bit of freaking out and checking my DNS and router to see if they had been hacked, I finally realized that prior to Safari's unified search/address bar, I had been using a plugin called "Omnibar" to do the same thing. And apparently the upgrade screwed up it's settings and pointed me at a Russian search site instead of Google.

And then I sighed a huge sigh of relief and thought I'd post it in here in case it happens to someone else.

I just uninstalled Omnibar since Safari 6 has it built in now.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
My Safari 6 (oh my god, I am way too impressed with the new omnibar) just went "Hey this omnibar extension hasn't been tested, so it's turned off."

This is a good thing, because I can't figure out where the button is to get rid of it! :shobon:

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
For anyone considering downloading Mountain Lion, go into Disk Utilities and check the HDD you want to install to for S.M.A.R.T errors. It straight up wont install to a drive with these errors on it (probably a good thing) but it would be nice if they could check this before shelling out $20 for it.

On a positive note, the drive is being replaced next week through Applecare, so I can finally upgrade from Snow Leopard.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Baggot posted:

I am also still waiting for my Up-to-Date redemption code. It's been just about 24 hours now. Come on, Apple!!

They just sent me a fourth one. On a whim I used the third one (with ML already installed) and it downloaded OS X Server.

The Up-to-Date program should be really simple so I'm not sure how they've managed to screw it up this much.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mo0 posted:

My Safari 6 (oh my god, I am way too impressed with the new omnibar) just went "Hey this omnibar extension hasn't been tested, so it's turned off."

This is a good thing, because I can't figure out where the button is to get rid of it! :shobon:

It'll do that every time and there's no button to remove it. You have to delete /Library/Application/Support/SIMBL/Plugins/SafariOmnibar.bundle

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Can you AirPlay video without mirroring? Like sending a YouTube video only to the apple tv?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Enderzero posted:

Can you AirPlay video without mirroring? Like sending a YouTube video only to the apple tv?

Using Safari and ClickToPlugin, yes.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I have a Macbook and like to back up my data onto two external hard drives regularly as I take a lot of photos / make music and losing any amount of data would be disatrous.

Is there a program that will let me plug in an external hard drive and then automatially backup any files that have been created or modified in a selected folder since the last time I backed up?

At the moment I just do my backups manually but I always worry about forgetting to backup something and it's a really time-consuming process.

I tried using Time Machine but it seems to just create an image of the entire computer and I couldn't find an option to select only a few folders to backup.

So if anyone has any recommendations they would be much appreciated.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Time Machine does what you want it to do, but the opposite. Basically you need to tell it what NOT to back up. As of 10.8 it now also lets you back up to multiple hard drives, which is also what you want. And it only backs up what has changed each time, and keeps a copy of previous versions of a file until it runs out of space

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Admiral posted:

For anyone considering downloading Mountain Lion, go into Disk Utilities and check the HDD you want to install to for S.M.A.R.T errors. It straight up wont install to a drive with these errors on it (probably a good thing) but it would be nice if they could check this before shelling out $20 for it.

On a positive note, the drive is being replaced next week through Applecare, so I can finally upgrade from Snow Leopard.

You're quite correct to suggest everyone should check their hard drive's condition before a major upgrade.

However, Disk Utility's SMART triggers won't go off until the drive is beeping and screeching, and smoke is billowing from your computer. The few times I've seen 'S.M.A.R.T. status: failed' in little red letters the drive was already beyond repair.

Better to download the trial of SMART Utility and see if it thinks the drive is failing. It will give you a more detailed idea of what's wrong (bad sectors, pending bad sectors, reallocated sectors, etc.) than Disk Utility.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Nuntius posted:

Time Machine does what you want it to do, but the opposite. Basically you need to tell it what NOT to back up. As of 10.8 it now also lets you back up to multiple hard drives, which is also what you want. And it only backs up what has changed each time, and keeps a copy of previous versions of a file until it runs out of space

Cool, I did not see that option last time I played with it so I will have another look tonight.

To clarify, if I have a file on my computer that I back up through Time Machine and then delete the file from my Macbook will the Time Machine hard drive retain that file next time I do a back up?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wario In Real Life posted:

Notification Center is for "stuff you missed while you were away". You've still got Dashboard for "Information at a glance" type stuff.

Is the dashboard actually useful though? I rarely hear about anyone using it.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I am noticing that after updating Mountain Lion that my computer is running warmer, and my battery life is not as good as it used to be. After web browsing for 15 minutes my battery has already dropped 10%, whereas before it would have probably been half of that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why don't you look at Activity Monitor and try to look for a rogue process?

My battery life hasn't changed at all.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

What should I be looking for, something taking up a lot of processing and threads? There isnt a lot running right now, the highest process on the activity monitor is Chrome sucking up a whopping 4% of the CPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wario In Real Life posted:

It's not very good. Actually, it's unusable. Unless one actually wants to carefully read it a bunch of finely crafted words, have it disappear for half an hour and return with garbled Vogan.poetry.

I'm guessing it's just your weird voice. This entire post was done with dictation and I encountered little to no problems with it. Certainly not unusable in any sense of the word.

Yeah I wouldn't complain about the speed either. The time taken for it to return text to your machine is actually very good.

I think that guy always complains about having lovely internet so it's probably just him.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is the dashboard actually useful though? I rarely hear about anyone using it.
I spent a while trying to find widgets that would make the dashboard useful for anything and failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

This Hidden Files widget and iStat Pro are the only two widgets I keep around. iStat Pro really only for remembering how long it has been since I've restarted my machine.