Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Modernism is technique, not trend.
Well, it is now. Or I guess again. Nobody gave a poo poo about molecular gastronomy when all anyone did with alginate was make McNuggets, just like nobody gave a poo poo about sous vide when it was just used to batch prepare microwaveable dinners. Then it was all hep to know about and use that poo poo on get-you-laid level food. Now it's just background, something everyone should know.

Kinda the same thing that happened with `fusion' cuisine. And like every other goddamn thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
So what's the deal with pizza cones? Never really got answered :(

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

So what's the deal with pizza cones? Never really got answered :(

it's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. A pizza in the shape of a cone. Then there was hilarity with patents (as per usual ricola stuff, generally speaking when something weird like a ducksword or a lobsterknife or a pizza cone comes up it probably has to do with ricola finding a weird patent). Also the owner (OMBRELLO or something like that) was a hilarious weirdo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
pretentiousknifechat time paging subg

does anyone know anything about laguiole cutlery? more specifically, how I can go about obtaining some without A. paying out my butt or B. getting a knockoff from pakistan or china

I was really, really impressed by a knife I used at a nice place and took a photo of it, it was "jean dubost" laguiole - which actually looks a lot less expensive than the "forge de laguiole" or like "laguiole en aubrac". But I can't really figure out a reputable place to buy from / authorized reseller or whatever.

I really want this - http://www.laguiole.com/laguiole-steak-knives-several-woodsset-p-257.html - but lol 550EUR on 6 knives.

not sure how I can laugh at that and convince myself $300 on six dubost knives is any better, but it's happening... :(

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
My steak knives are paring knives, so I have no advice for you. (other than to not buy steak knives because they're dumb and you should know that)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

My steak knives are paring knives, so I have no advice for you. (other than to not buy steak knives because they're dumb and you should know that)

I have one wusthof steak knife from a set and I use it every now and again. It's serrated and reasonably sharp, so good for tomatoes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

mindphlux posted:

does anyone know anything about laguiole cutlery?
`Laguiole' is a style, not a trademark or brand. It's the name of a town, but virtually no Laguiole knives come from Laguiole anymore---the `authentic' French-made Laguiole knives are mostly made in Thiers, in the same way most German cutlery comes from Solingen.

If you like the knife pattern and aren't hung up on getting a set from France, you can find any number of high quality Laguiole steak knife sets made for different retailers. Or you could probably find a local knifemaker (or one on the internet) and have a set custom made for around what you'd be giving for the ones you're looking at.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Could you clarify? is this because nobody actually has fancy dinner parties that demand them (except in their imagination and in the TV show Hannibal)?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

When we were registering for our wedding I went through the same questions.

To Languiole? Entertained the notion of getting 6 paring or petty knives from an affordable Japanese manufacturer like a Honsho Kanemasa or something. But I decided to just roll with some cheaper Sabatier set mostly because I figured the act of using a petty on a plate would make me cringe every time I made a steak, I couldn't justify 50bux per knife for something I would use, like, twice a month maybe. The final thing was realizing that if I was hosting something fancy and plated I would slice the steak for service anyway so really, steak knives are relegated to casual dining options and a cheap set was perfectly fine for that.

Anyway, those were my thoughts. Now I'm fighting the urge to buy a yanagi. :ohdear:

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

No Wave posted:

Could you clarify? is this because nobody actually has fancy dinner parties that demand them (except in their imagination and in the TV show Hannibal)?

Sharp straight edge > serrated for anything but frozen foods, (some) breads and for chopping nuts or chocolate. At least that's what I see in it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyway, those were my thoughts. Now I'm fighting the urge to buy a yanagi. :ohdear:
I have a 27cm yanagi that I used to use almost exclusively for slicing brisket.

It got replaced by a like 32cm CCK butcher knife. :chef:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

All of my 'fancy' dinner parties are with coworkers. We all know paring knives are superior for cutting. So steak knives are stupid.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

All of my 'fancy' dinner parties are with coworkers. We all know paring knives are superior for cutting. So steak knives are stupid.

the particular knives I linked to were serrated, but they don't have to be - and in fact most of the ones I've seen in this style aren't. so it's not much different from a paring knife.

listen, I'm as pretentious as any industry worker about knives, and I was seriously impressed by these knives in actual use. (and the serrated style, at that). It's fine to be like :smug: paring knives are superior for cutting, because it's technically true. we all "know" that. But after using one for a dinner service, I'd vastly prefer (and am apparently willing to pay vast sums of money to obtain) these knives.

also, like no wave was hinting at - there's the aesthetic - the knife I used was loving beautiful, ornate, perfectly weighted, cut like butter - yeah maybe a paring knife does the job just as well, but that's not really the point. ikea 365 plates work just as well as china, but if you're aim is to be a little over the top, it's just not the same.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

4 nice looking paring knives are cheaper than the knives you linked, and far better.

And I don't think steak knives are nearly as important as good plates. I have nice plates at home. I would never buy a steak knife, I'd just buy some Tojiro DP 90mm parings fort $40 ea if I really, really needed some nice looking "steak" knives.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I took the spent grain from my first batch of homebrew and made tabbouleh with it :unsmith: it was a pleasant bonus!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

does anyone know anything about laguiole cutlery? more specifically, how I can go about obtaining some without A. paying out my butt or B. getting a knockoff from pakistan or china

I was really, really impressed by a knife I used at a nice place and took a photo of it, it was "jean dubost" laguiole - which actually looks a lot less expensive than the "forge de laguiole" or like "laguiole en aubrac". But I can't really figure out a reputable place to buy from / authorized reseller or whatever.

I really want this - http://www.laguiole.com/laguiole-steak-knives-several-woodsset-p-257.html - but lol 550EUR on 6 knives.

not sure how I can laugh at that and convince myself $300 on six dubost knives is any better, but it's happening... :(

We have a cheap set of laguiole steak knives that I really like. You can tell the handles are plastic but other then that I have no complaints. They cut foods with grace and ease and seem resistant to abuse.

I also have a much fancier laguiole folding knife with a nice wooden handle that I found at a flea market. One of these days I am going to fix it up and carry it when I am feeling sassy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

4 nice looking paring knives are cheaper than the knives you linked, and far better.

And I don't think steak knives are nearly as important as good plates. I have nice plates at home. I would never buy a steak knife, I'd just buy some Tojiro DP 90mm parings fort $40 ea if I really, really needed some nice looking "steak" knives.
It has to do with your own experience, too. I've eaten at a lot of fancy restaurants in Paris that used these knives, and using these would bring me back to places like L'Arpege, Septime, Vivant, etc... I think one's idea of fanciness and luxury will necessarily primed by one's experiences - you can't have something that's "objectively" more aesthetically luxurious. (This one's my choice)

http://www.sabatier-shop.com/pocket-knives_75_perceval_le-francais-table_6-pieces-box-francais-947-white-handle__16103.html

I don't think anyone would argue that a steak knife is nearly as functional as a japanese paring knife.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 6, 2013

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
lollllin at the avatars

Squashy Nipples posted:

last time I bought someone an AV was pr0k

Thanks! I'm not sure I knew that but thanks anyway. I don't remember what my name was then.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

pr0k posted:

lollllin at the avatars

Thanks! I'm not sure I knew that but thanks anyway. I don't remember what my name was then.

'Demagogue'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
on the topic of name changes, gws used to have a less than stellar admin (dude didn't know how to cook, was a troll)

I realized earlier today I couldn't remember his name. it was a good feeling.

:patriot:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

on the topic of name changes, gws used to have a less than stellar admin (dude didn't know how to cook, was a troll)

I realized earlier today I couldn't remember his name. it was a good feeling.

:patriot:

bartolimu?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

bartolimu?

no he's fine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

no he's fine.

Yeah, I was jesting. And will probably be perma-banned for mod sass. The only two sub forums I really visit are here and Cinema Discusso, both if which I think are well moderated. I'm all for freedom of speech but I think forums can rapidly descend into poo poo if certain rules aren't properly enforced.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Why don't bars serve Malt Liquor? This is some bullshit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Gotta go to better bars. One of my regulars keeps buzzbombs for people who don't want tap beer.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Try a pizza place, I used to get a king cobra and slice of pizza after donating blood

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Gourd of Taste posted:

Try a pizza place, I used to get a king cobra and slice of pizza after donating blood

I love you gourd.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I took the spent grain from my first batch of homebrew and made tabbouleh with it :unsmith: it was a pleasant bonus!

I made ice cream with some spent homebrew grains. A pretty good choice.

Halalelujah posted:

Why don't bars serve Malt Liquor? This is some bullshit.

Bar behind my apartment has $1 mickeys hand grenades on Mondays. A good deal.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Anybody remember that post a couple weeks ago about "cronuts"?

Well I made Doughssaints I guess...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Anybody remember that post a couple weeks ago about "cronuts"?

Well I made Doughssaints I guess...

It's so...glossy. :aaaaa:
I want to eat them all.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

It's so...glossy. :aaaaa:
I want to eat them all.

Not if I beat you to it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They were alright. I took like a million pictures. I've never made a laminated dough before and I wasn't super awesome at the folding and what not but they came out okay. I don't know if I would make them over regular or brioche donuts in the future since it was a ton more work for only marginally more yum.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Post your technique.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Send your donuts.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Make them for me in my kitchen.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Feed my erection (with pics).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So I was in Minneapolis this week and found a pretty decent Tequila Bar place.

It is called Barrio and it really saved me.

They have tequila a plenty:

And a few beer cocktails, which I love:

And many salsas:

And these bad motherfuckers:

The bartenders were pretty chill and friendly and very understanding of my need to get loaded at 2pm on a Wednesday. Totaly recomend the place if you are ever in Minneapolis for whatever reason.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
That hot dog looks like a god drat miracle.

Also just found out that Masterchef is back on. It's so bad but I love Gordan and I've been hooked since season one. At least it was easy to decide what to watch this weekend!

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

Iron Lung posted:

It's so bad but I love Gordan and I've been hooked since season one.

"It's masterchef not masterbate!"

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

bunnielab posted:

So I was in Minneapolis this week and found a pretty decent Tequila Bar place.

It is called Barrio and it really saved me.

They have tequila a plenty:

And a few beer cocktails, which I love:

And many salsas:

And these bad motherfuckers:

The bartenders were pretty chill and friendly and very understanding of my need to get loaded at 2pm on a Wednesday. Totaly recomend the place if you are ever in Minneapolis for whatever reason.

Been to the one in st Paul.

Nice lunch service as well.