Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mortimer posted:

Are they added to games already in progress or do you have to restart to see them?

You have to restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The Kins posted:

Is there still a Prison Architect thread somewhere? I finally got around to giving it a quick spin before bed last night and then I looked up and it was 6am and oh jeez.

I also played some Prison Architect last night. It was pretty fun, but jeez, they really should have got someone to proofread and fix the backer prisoner bios because it seems like every one of them was written by a drunk and illiterate monkey.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Going through the bios will hopefully come at some point close to "release".

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Not quite. Today's patch was in preparation for the upcoming Companion DLC. It appears in the main menu, but you can't actually use it yet.

Since I only just the other day got unbusy enough to play, I may as well start a new game once it comes out.

Aaah, my bad. I saw a smallish patch go up, then a much larger one - I assumed that second download was the companion update.

Edit: A couple of folks a page or two back were worried about that Wasteland 2 trailer that seemed to show a freshly-rolled party getting curbstomped by murderbots. I'm about 95% certain that was just illustrative of what happens if you go into a situation completely unprepared, as the early-game combat looks pretty easy and tutorial'ish according to this Eurogamer footage of the release build here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xivQWTWkWRw

It looks very Fallout-ish now. Guess we've come full circle.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 15, 2014

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Somebody posted an old gamespy link to something Derek Smart-related earlier, and then when I browsed the rest of the article I came upon this: Valve's PowerPlay Initiative

quote:

In January of 2000, Valve Software, makers of Half-Life, announced that it was teaming up with networking giant Cisco Systems to "revolutionize Internet gaming" with an amazing new technology called PowerPlay. A whole bunch of developers, Epic Games, BioWare, Red Storm, Relic, Ritual, Shiny, Volition, and Ensemble among them, immediately signed up, pledging allegiance to this incredible breakthrough to how games would be played online.

What exactly was PowerPlay? Valve's Gabe Newell explained at the time that, "PowerPlay is an industry effort to identify ways to make the Internet a better platform for entertainment," and more specifically, "a set of protocols and deployment standards." He went on to say that, "initially with PowerPlay 1.0 the focus will be on quality of service (i.e. making playing on the Internet feel like playing on a LAN), but over time PowerPlay 2.0 will address functionality as well."

So, in short, PowerPlay was supposed to make playing on the Internet -- even on a dial-up connection -- just as good as playing on a local area network. Gabe went on to boast that, "we had people on a LAN playing [TFC] against someone with a 1000 ping, and it was playable," and that PowerPlay dial-up service would begin in Q1 2000.

Yes, PowerPlay was a truly magical thing that would eliminate lag forever, instantly banish all cheaters to a Scottish gulag, do your taxes, and boost your sex life to stratospheric new heights. It's no wonder so many different companies supported it! Oh wait, PowerPlay was never released, and all traces of its existence were swept under a huge rug. Why?

You'll note that id Software is absent from the list of companies that endorsed PowerPlay. id Lead Programmer John Carmack explained his reasoning for not jumping on the PowerPlay bandwagon shortly after PowerPlay's official announcement went live:
"I had a long talk with a couple people from Valve about the PowerPlay initiative, but they couldn't give me enough specific technical details for me to endorse it. I'm all for improvements in networking infrastructure, but at this point, there isn't anything actually there, just an intention to improve gaming. They need to tell me SPECIFICALLY what I am supposed to be endorsing. At some point, bits have to go into packets and routers need to make decisions on them. Changes at that level is what I want to hear about, not strategic company relationships."
Mr. Carmack was ultimately right: PowerPlay's "revolution" turned out to be little more than some dubious technology backed by a heaping helping of outrageous hype.

I was gaming back then, but I only read the occasional PC Gamer so I guess I wasn't really keeping track of developer shenanigans. It's kind of amusing to read about Valve antics back when Steam was barely a gleam in GabeN's eye.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

quote:

Mr. Carmack was ultimately right: PowerPlay's "revolution" turned out to be little more than some dubious technology backed by a heaping helping of outrageous hype.

Just like steambox.

Marlow Briggs (and some other games) for $1! Mehish IG bundle (although Hero Siege is great)

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

LibbyM posted:

How's that Starpoint Gemini 2 game? I'd really love a game that was a mixture of open world space trading games and the combat of starfleet command. Is this the game I've been waiting for?

I picked it up and it seems pretty nice. Some balance things to be sorted out, as the only bearable to way to make money is capturing and scrapping ships (low end ships cost around 300k, early missions get you maybe 10k for the objective, but another 90k if you can capture even a single ship, and I haven't tried trading yet but until you can start with a trader it seems almost useless). The control system is pretty nice; there are different schemes depending on if you're dogfighting with something small with all its guns on the nose or a turret-based mode if you're flying a ship-of-the-line style capital ship.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Minimum has no right being out of Early Access, but I'll be damned if it isn't a blast to play.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Receiver for free at Humble Store

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Store deals today:

Hitman: Absolution - $4.99
Goat Simulator - $5.99
Proteus - $1.99
Typing of the Dead - $4.99
Edna and Harvey: The Breakout - $3.74
Mount & Blade Warband: The Napoleanic Wars - $1.99
Sacred Citidel - $0.99
Some other poo poo

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Receiver is awesome, unless you are one of those people that expect to hit "R" and you instantly reload your gun, which is not the point of the game. Hell, there are even mods for it that add a shotgun, bolt action rifles and a M1A1 Thompson.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sakura spirit is 50% off all week!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Hogo Fogo posted:

Receiver for free at Humble Store
I've entered my email and haven't gotten a key yet, is it just going to take a while?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Zeether posted:

I've entered my email and haven't gotten a key yet, is it just going to take a while?

I haven't gotten an email from them yet either but check your Humble library, it showed up for me there and I could already redeem it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

I haven't gotten an email from them yet either but check your Humble library, it showed up for me there and I could already redeem it.
Oh whoops, I went for it twice.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Articy:Draft is on sale for 35 bucks, and it's a really good tool for mapping dialog among other related textual and environmental design things.

It's certainly better than notepads on a whiteboard.

But, Chat Mapper (not on steam) is free, so it's a hard sell unless you're actually a business - in which case go for the pro articy license.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can just give the extra away. no big deal

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Awesome! posted:

this was my poo poo back in the day

Best game.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
What's the best cheap-rear end xbox-like controller on pc? Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

Edit: A couple of folks a page or two back were worried about that Wasteland 2 trailer that seemed to show a freshly-rolled party getting curbstomped by murderbots. I'm about 95% certain that was just illustrative of what happens if you go into a situation completely unprepared, as the early-game combat looks pretty easy and tutorial'ish according to this Eurogamer footage of the release build here:

I think that was mostly me. Thanks for that. :)

Seventh Arrow posted:

Somebody posted an old gamespy link to something Derek Smart-related earlier, and then when I browsed the rest of the article I came upon this: Valve's PowerPlay Initiative

Oh god, I remember that. Of all the goofy stunts pulled trying to level the playing field between low and high-ping bastards, that had to be the goofiest. I mean, they were basically trying to sell magic with that.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'd say pay the extra $15 and get an actual 360 controller. Third party controllers are really hit or miss with what drivers they use and can have all sorts of dumb detection and button mapping issues. Wired 360 controller has few to no problems. Though if someone has come out with a really good third party controller since the dogshit Logitech one I had that treated the triggers as an analog stick axis, well, I'm all ears.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Awesome! posted:

sakura spirit is 50% off all week!

It is an excellent game that everybody should play.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

FadedReality posted:

I'd say pay the extra $15 and get an actual 360 controller. Third party controllers are really hit or miss with what drivers they use and can have all sorts of dumb detection and button mapping issues. Wired 360 controller has few to no problems. Though if someone has come out with a really good third party controller since the dogshit Logitech one I had that treated the triggers as an analog stick axis, well, I'm all ears.
Rock Candy makes a very solid $25 third party wired controller that has worked great in all controller compatible games I've played.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Flash Bundle:

$1
Really Big Sky
Syder Arcade

BTA
Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender
Danmaku Unlimited 2

$7+
Crimzon Clover: World Ignition

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I currently(and only ever) use a Logitech Rumblepad 2 with x360ce and it works perfectly all of the time. You build a profile for general use in 360ce which takes maybe a minute, and then drop 4 files into the install folder of a game you want to play with a controller.

Never had an issue.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humble Flash Bundle:

$1
Really Big Sky
Syder Arcade

BTA
Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender
Danmaku Unlimited 2

$7+

The first two: Not so hot. The $7 bundle? Three really good shmups, especially Crimzon Clover.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pay What U Want Bundle:

Marlow Briggs & The Mask of Death
Tiny Brains
Battlepaths
Steel & Steam Episode 1

https://www.paywuw.com/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Rock Candy makes a very solid $25 third party wired controller that has worked great in all controller compatible games I've played.

I use something called Afterglow. Also works great. They were right next to the Rock Candy ones at Wal-mart, but umm... I wanted blue, not pink.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Defy Gravity is a weekly sale for 0,19 and it has cards.
You can make money by buying this game.
A dream has come true.

On a side note:
Why is the list of weeklong deals shuffing every time you open it up (or return back to it)?
My guess is some marketing genius thought that this way more games will be displayed "above the fold", but if you're actually browsing through the list, it's aggravating as hell.

P.S.: That cheeseburger video did not make me want to buy Facerig less.
Furry stuff is still creeping me out, though.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I just got done watching the latest Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter update video. Along with releasing the two companions today, they're currently working on improving the look of some of the spells and skills, allowing you to listen in on dialogue in co-op, improving inventory management, and are testing controllers for same screen co-op. The game has awesome post-release support so far and looks like it isn't slowing down anytime soon.

e: Last I had a third party controller was back in 2010 x360ce didn't fix the weird rear end problems I was having with Splinter Cell: Conviction :effort:

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 15, 2014

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

FadedReality posted:

Right, but see I need to buy two controllers for my sister so she can play lego games with her kid, and they don't need quality controllers. I just want something cheap that will function like a 360 controller out of the box, which I believe this one will (since its x-input).

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

FadedReality posted:

I just got done watching the latest Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter update video. Along with releasing the two companions today, they're currently working on improving the look of some of the spells and skills, allowing you to listen in on dialogue in co-op, improving inventory management, and are testing controllers for same screen co-op. The game has awesome post-release support so far and looks like it isn't slowing down anytime soon.

Better list here. I hope we see an expo like Divinity 2 (specifically a more talky/ puzzle solvey one).

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is a really good controller - I've got one myself. Plug and play and you can switch between dpad/ stick and xinput/ dinput. Really good price for it as well.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Right, but see I need to buy two controllers for my sister so she can play lego games with her kid, and they don't need quality controllers. I just want something cheap that will function like a 360 controller out of the box, which I believe this one will (since its x-input).

It will.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
Deus Ex: The Fall is going for $2.49 today. I hear it's not a good game, but is it not even worth the sale price?

or should I just save my money for Sakura Spirit :unsmigghh:

Also I have no idea what any of the other games are like, but that Indie Gala Monday Bundle is worth it just for Hero Siege.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FadedReality posted:

I like that they just kinda casually mention new dungeons in development then go into the update. Looks like the game will be growing for a while yet.

Also, tres cute that they did Smash Bros style intros for the new characters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They had to cut some dungeon areas to get the game out so they might be finishing up that content.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Unbalanced posted:

Deus Ex: The Fall is going for $2.49 today. I hear it's not a good game, but is it not even worth the sale price?

or should I just save my money for Sakura Spirit :unsmigghh:

Also I have no idea what any of the other games are like, but that Indie Gala Monday Bundle is worth it just for Hero Siege.

No, Deus Ex The Fall is an absolutely awful mobile port and the story will never be actually completed or matter in any sense. Replay the Director's Cut of Human Revolution if you haven't already instead.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

The moves aren't why Remember Me's combat sucked. You can make big, custom combos but you never needed any of it because a simple one that gave health back kept you going forever.

Yeah, so far the combat seems like simple is best. This does not bother me, the reason the combat sucks is that if combat is simple I want to focus on the world and not deal with battles taking me away from the world.

Armor-Piercing posted:

The description says it just adds a few moves, so no, it probably doesn't make it not suck.

Does the game stay linear or does it ever allow me to explore a bit? Right now I keep trying to check out areas but basically am fighting against a straight line looking for secrets.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Quest For Glory II posted:

$7+

It's also a weekly sale on steam for 7.49, if you wanna use steambucks to get it. Just picked it up and this game is loving awesome. It's an incredibly intense bullet hell shmup with an amazing soundtrack, and it subscribes to the "everything loving explodes" school of game design. Also it has unlimited continues, so you don't need to worry about being good at the game.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Does the game stay linear or does it ever allow me to explore a bit? Right now I keep trying to check out areas but basically am fighting against a straight line looking for secrets.

Remember Me is 100% linear (with tiny detours for secrets) to the bitter end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I can recommend the MadCatz Fight/Brawlpad if you like to play 2D/fighting games and don't want to use the horrendous D-pad on the XB360 controller. Its pretty cheap and it works like a charm on PC. Some people say that they are pretty flimsy and get broken pretty quickly, but I have had mine for quite some time without an issue.

• Locked thread