Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ugleb posted:

If I were ever to find myself in a weird world where I paint other people's stuff for money, I'd like to think I could opt to turn down certain jobs.

But then I have the feeling that Mr obnoxious is also willing to obnoxiously throw money at this.

I've read more than one story from online artists who do work by commission about this sort of thing. It might kill your soul to do it, but furries are willing to spend a lot of money for decent quality artwork of their fursona or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
With WWII Germans being license to print money for any historical maker, you'd thing that shithead would find some quality decals to buy.

Then again, hams players somewhat less than informed about the gaming industry at large.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Honestly I've had a hard time finding ww1/Prussian/biker style iron crosses for my 15mm ww2 Nazi tanks. The best I've found so far is 3rd party Black Templar decals.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 10, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Bodily force the nazi sympathizer out of the store and spike his lovely knight into the dumpster real hard.

Edit: spike it into the dumpster of a restaurant if possible

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 10, 2017

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Speleothing posted:

Bodily force the nazi sympathizer out of the store and spike his lovely knight into the dumpster real hard.

Edit: spike it into the dumpster of a restaurant if possible

Tell the store owner your thoughts about the player and how inappropriate his army theme is. If the owner doesn't care or is on team Fascist, stop going there.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

No

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

DiHK posted:

Honestly I've had a hard time finding ww1/Prussian/biker style iron crosses for my 15mm ww2 Nazi tanks. The best I've found so far is 3rd party Black Templar decals.

It makes me wonder if anyone has ever painted nazis in confederate colours to double down on the stupid.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Grey Hunter posted:

It makes me wonder if anyone has ever painted nazis in confederate colours to double down on the stupid.

You know... technically the CSA uniform is gray (in practice OT was whatever those guys could get their hands on).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I agree, that is the worst Space Marine flyer since all SM flyers outside the thawk are bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Flipswitch posted:

The individual its being painted for is an annoying oval office and when he tried to play my system he got basically ignored by our regulars. I don't get the obsession with Nazi paraphernalia and the like, he isn't even that type of person ( i think)

Apparently he is

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah good point there. I'll do some digging.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Now I really want to see some of those 40k flyers with (tasteful) noseart.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Grey Hunter posted:

that's the incorrect feldgrau for Spring 1862

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

SRM posted:

that's the incorrect feldgrau for Spring 1862

THe important question is what did Gen. Rommel's personal battle flag look like. :colbert:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

raverrn posted:

Now I really want to see some of those 40k flyers with (tasteful) noseart.

I'm always on the lookout for nose/tank turret art books. Harder than you would think to search for because there's only so many pages of nose rings I'm willing to look at on :google: before I give up.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DiHK posted:

THe important question is what did Gen. Rommel's personal battle flag look like. :colbert:

Palm tree with a swastika.

You punch that Nazi yet, flipswitch?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

mango sentinel posted:

With the words "Saubere Wehrmacht" emblazoned on it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

You punch that Nazi yet, flipswitch?

nah not seen em there but haven't been looking either. Been playing kick rear end new board games instead tbh.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Well that's nice to know. Square jacks for ever *whistles Dixie*

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So we all know pauldron marines:

Well, Reaper made them into an actual (space mice) army:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

JcDent posted:

So we all know pauldron marines:

I didn't, but I am very happy to know now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I like it but why. I feel like it didn't quite commit to a theme enough

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:3:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

w00tmonger posted:

I like it but why. I feel like it didn't quite commit to a theme enough

:agreed:

If you are gonna go circus, I expect white face and red noses dammit. Or a yellow robe for the It thing.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I really like the star painted on the face of the fifth one's helmet. Heck, I like the subtle splotches of yellow and stars all around. Mixed in with the more outlandish elements, it feels like these guys are slowly figurimg out this whole party thing. :3:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Reminds me of the old Mordheim Carnival of Chaos. I like it.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Needs a Nurgling or Nurglings balancing on a ball, it'd be perfect then.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
Why do people in this thread hate boobs so much?

Warhammer 40k’s whole aesthetic is OTT pulpy/body-horror/H.R Giger-esque weirdness. Tits are totally appropriate.

Some of the titified conversions are hilariously silly and personally I wouldn’t buy a model that was hanging tit because I like a tiny bit of realism in my weird fantasy models.

But tits certainly aren’t bad or evil or even out of place in a 40k aesthetic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Source your quotes

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It's not the tits themselves that are the problem, really. It's the fact that the hobby is full of horrible greasy grogs that fixate on the idea of 'sexy' minis to a stupid degree, e.g. Doc Thunder.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
God forbid we have a single female miniature that isn't sexualised.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

It's not the tits themselves that are the problem, really. It's the fact that the hobby is full of horrible greasy grogs that fixate on the idea of 'sexy' minis to a stupid degree, e.g. Doc Thunder.
I really haven't met enough people who do the hobby to make any kind of survey but the people I have met are normal human beings, most of them average family men. I can't say I measured their greasiness levels.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Osric posted:

I really haven't met enough people who do the hobby to make any kind of survey but the people I have met are normal human beings, most of them average family men. I can't say I measured their greasiness levels.

The issue, again, isn't the depiction of the female form. I'm sure some people do take issue with that in general, but it's not representative of the complaints in this and other threads. There's an absurd double-standard when it comes to the depiction of men and women in this industry. The vast majority of men are wearing effective, if not necessarily practical, armor, are largely fully clothed save to show off the occasional pectoral muscle or bicep. There's very little about them that is overtly sexual. Compare this to boob armor, skimpy clothes and string bikinis, and absurd hips and bust sizes, plus poses that emphasize those assets.

You could argue that the majority of male figures are equally as unrealistic, and there's probably some merit to that argument. But the men are sensationalized to be warriors and heroes whereas the women are sensationalized to be hyper-sexual.

The biggest problem isn't that these figures exist, it's that they're the norm. They teach young men and boys from an early age that this is how women are supposed to be portrayed. We've normalized the fact that women aren't supposed to be depicted the same or valued for the same reasons as men.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

The issue, again, isn't the depiction of the female form. I'm sure some people do take issue with that in general, but it's not representative of the complaints in this and other threads. There's an absurd double-standard when it comes to the depiction of men and women in this industry. The vast majority of men are wearing effective, if not necessarily practical, armor, are largely fully clothed save to show off the occasional pectoral muscle or bicep. There's very little about them that is overtly sexual. Compare this to boob armor, skimpy clothes and string bikinis, and absurd hips and bust sizes, plus poses that emphasize those assets.

You could argue that the majority of male figures are equally as unrealistic, and there's probably some merit to that argument. But the men are sensationalized to be warriors and heroes whereas the women are sensationalized to be hyper-sexual.

The biggest problem isn't that these figures exist, it's that they're the norm. They teach young men and boys from an early age that this is how women are supposed to be portrayed. We've normalized the fact that women aren't supposed to be depicted the same or valued for the same reasons as men.
I would sincerely hope that boys aren’t learning about women from 40K models and if they are that seems like a failure of the parents rather than a failure of the models.

They might be silly little pieces of plastic but they are ultimately a kind of art, and the purpose of art isn’t to inculcate or indoctrinate the values you as a viewer like but rather to reflect the vision of the artists. In this case it’s a crazy (sometimes sleazy) hosed-up body horror vision. You like it or you don’t and if you don’t like the aesthetic no one is forcing you play 40k, but I would suggest there’s a fairly substantial dollop of irony that goes into GW minis.

All these models are xenocidal monsters of one sort or another who purge the impure with fire and fist-gently caress entire planets. Are your seriously complaining that they're not teaching the right sort of lessons about gender?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yes, because the media we consume has no impact on how we view the world around us and the products of an international corporate entity focused above all else on turning a profit are representative of genuine artist vision that can't be compromised. :rolleyes:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

40k hasn't been ironic in years and GW isn't the only miniature producer in town. You have stuff like Prodos Games's money burning pile called Space Crusade which is all naked lady space marines vs. naked lady CSM range, all the female miniatures in Brother Vinny's catalogue and some of the more unfortunate Infinity sculpts (Tech Bees, for example).

Now, "No Female Space Marines in 40k" is my hill to die on and the only issue that I have with SoBs is them not having an all plastic range, but making fun of bad titty miniatures (Wargame Exclusive, anything sculpted before the year 2000, Raging Hormones) is our meta constitutional right.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Osric posted:

Why do people in this thread hate boobs so much?

Warhammer 40k’s whole aesthetic is OTT pulpy/body-horror/H.R Giger-esque weirdness. Tits are totally appropriate.

Some of the titified conversions are hilariously silly and personally I wouldn’t buy a model that was hanging tit because I like a tiny bit of realism in my weird fantasy models.

But tits certainly aren’t bad or evil or even out of place in a 40k aesthetic.

Trap: Sprung.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yes, because the media we consume has no impact on how we view the world around us and the products of an international corporate entity focused above all else on turning a profit are representative of genuine artist vision that can't be compromised. :rolleyes:
People aren't unthinking receptacles of media and the need to make money is not and has never been incompatible with an artistic vision.

But why don't you test your theory. Make your own game: Non-Threatening Utensil 40k, in which players can use gender-neutral models to role-play peaceful exchanges and diplomacy between different Collectives of friendly xenos carefully calculated to teach the right sorts of lessons to kids of all ages.

That way people who like chaos sex daemons and interstellar murder can have their game and you can have yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Osric posted:

People aren't unthinking receptacles of media and the need to make money is not and has never been incompatible with an artistic vision.

But why don't you test your theory. Make your own game: Non-Threatening Utensil 40k, in which players can use gender-neutral models to role-play peaceful exchanges and diplomacy between different Collectives of friendly xenos carefully calculated to teach the right sorts of lessons to kids of all ages.

That way people who like chaos sex daemons and interstellar murder can have their game and you can have yours.

Cool, so you had no interest in a good faith conversation and are here specifically to troll. Good to know I don't need to continue this any further.