Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know how they did it in VRAINS or Sevens, but there looks to be plenty of info on the cards here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=321wCzRSySw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

I don't know how they did it in VRAINS or Sevens, but there looks to be plenty of info on the cards here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=321wCzRSySw

Ah, nevermind then

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dabir posted:

The cards you see in the anime dub have no info on them and don't look like the actual game's cards because of American laws preventing use of actual merchandise in a show that's selling merch.

Wait this wasn't some 4kids thing?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait this wasn't some 4kids thing?

No, but they would've done it anyway. They're famous for removing text, even English text, from scenes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And with the latest SEVENS episode everyone is at last back to normal, how many episodes are left now out of curiosity (I forget when Go Rush is supposed to begin)?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOW7rnjRPfM

Found this new video essay from some dude. It's a 70 min essay about 5D's that makes me want to go back and watch the whole series. Last time I tried, I dropped off after the Dark Signers arc because I thought the filler bits that came after that were too goofy for what I wanted but now I want to finish it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Haven't watched that video but outside of a few standouts I feel the series does drastically fall off after Dark Signers. The plot slows to a crawl and a lot of the good character notes from the first two series are completely abandoned.

The things I like most from after that are Crashtown and the Team Taiyou match (both can be watched pretty independently).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crashtown is the Western town, right? Where the duel disc are just revolvers.

Cause that is top tier Yugioh imo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crash Town owns now, but at the time it really dragged on. Literal months of them still being in cowboy town, doing nothing that mattered in any way to the overall plot. And that's in a season of almost season 1 GX-tier filler.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Crashtown is weirdly situated but it works well as an epilogue to Dark Signers imo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just like the setup.

"Revovlers at noon except it's duel monsters" it rules.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
smh you're not calling it by its real name, Satisfaction Town

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Post-Dark Signers 5D's has it's moments, but as a whole it's a lot of weird and wasted plotlines, and a lot of it is just flat out boring and kind of a slog to get through.

Crashtown owns though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the Dark Signers saga kind of feels like something that should have come during the back half of 5Ds as opposed to around the middle

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dabir posted:

Crash Town owns now, but at the time it really dragged on. Literal months of them still being in cowboy town, doing nothing that mattered in any way to the overall plot. And that's in a season of almost season 1 GX-tier filler.

Season 1 GX filler is solid imo.

Anyway post Dark Signers 5Ds is much weaker than what came before but I think it's still a better back half than a lot of the other series got.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some shows do it better than others I feel. For example, SEVENS is currently on its last legs and that's stayed pretty consistent the whole way through in my opinion (GX and the original weren't too bad either in that regard as I recall)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway post Dark Signers 5Ds is much weaker than what came before but I think it's still a better back half than a lot of the other series got.

Each individual filler thing is fine, mostly, there's just too fuckin' much of it. It forgets to have a plot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think that's fine. I like monster of the week stuff.

The first half of the first season sets up the characters via school shenaningans and then the plot hits after a couple meaningless one-off duels. It works ok.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Having just recently watched season 1 of GX for the first time... there are a couple of gems in the filler but most of the time I was not into it.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
That model definitely didn't work for 5D's. I love the show, but I can't even recall what the main plot/resolution of season 3. Definitely recommend skipping through it. Any of the episodes centered around Jack are pretty good though like when he has to get a job to cover his maid cafe expenses or when he got an upgrade by defeating Satan.

The WRGPX is mostly a dud, but there's some fun moments like Jack getting into a brutal crash and walking a lap so the team wouldn't forfeit, or the plot *really* wanting to make Crow out to be a big deal for just barely surviving against this evil duel monster spirit only for Jack to clean up the enemy team in under a minute. Jack may not have the most consistent character development but he's consistently The Best.

The last two episodes are also really strong and there's no shame in just skipping to them because I think they work as a finale at any point.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The summoning of Shooting Quasar Dragon is the coolest, most triumphant moment in the entirety of 5D's, a moment that perfectly sums up the themes of the show and the character of Yusei...and then they ruin it by dragging the duel on afterward instead of letting that be the winning play.

That kinda sums up all of the latter bits of 5D's for me. A bunch of stuff that should be cool and neat and fun but gets undermined by everything else around it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I enjoyed how the Taiyou stuff seemed like it drew inspiration from how card games are played in the real world. Because if someone's on some stupid, terrible deck that miraculously managed to pop off then people are absolutely going to be cheering for it.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked the episode where they got stoned with the Mokey Mokey guy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

END YOUR GODDAMN TURN JEAN

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I enjoyed how the Taiyou stuff seemed like it drew inspiration from how card games are played in the real world. Because if someone's on some stupid, terrible deck that miraculously managed to pop off then people are absolutely going to be cheering for it.

I liked the episode where they got stoned with the Mokey Mokey guy

My appreciation for GX season 1 might be because I only remember 2 episodes, one of them being the Mokey Mokey duel. The other being sandwich Tarzan.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Grand Prix in season 1 is a filler arc that you could completely excise and not even realise it; Waking the Dragons is exceptionally stupid but it's a fun kind of stupid where you can get some enjoyment out of it, meanwhile the Grand Prix is boring and doesn't have any interesting duels.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The entire Virtual World arc is filler too, shoved into the series at the worst place possible.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also even in the Japanese version (including the Toei produced “Season 0”), the show in general was toned down considerably from the original manga

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

The summoning of Shooting Quasar Dragon is the coolest, most triumphant moment in the entirety of 5D's, a moment that perfectly sums up the themes of the show and the character of Yusei...and then they ruin it by dragging the duel on afterward instead of letting that be the winning play.

That kinda sums up all of the latter bits of 5D's for me. A bunch of stuff that should be cool and neat and fun but gets undermined by everything else around it.

That it happens alongside the villain's genuinely really interesting concept (Yusei from the future that got horribly warped by the hell he's lived) being revealed as a complete fake and he's only some dude that's a Yusei fan are why I can't like that fight as much as I want to. There's something really cool going on there - but so many missteps along the way.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I also think the Aphoria twist is pretty cool on paper but doesn't really matter.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I also think the Aphoria twist is pretty cool on paper but doesn't really matter.

I love his 3 on 1 duel featuring Rua's big moment though. I think my favorite 5D's duels are that, the other 3 on 1 against Rex, and the last one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dabir posted:

At the time, when the season was already doing tons of screwing around and avoiding the main plot, I found Crashtown absolutely intolerable. I thought it was the representation of everything that was wrong with the show at that point.

Now I can at least appreciate it had some style. Still don't like that Jack and co. just got hosed off for two months for Kiryu to show up and do some stuff that winds up completely not mattering.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Go Rush will begin on April 3, meaning SEVENS only has about two episodes left at most:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-03-05/yu-gi-oh-go-rush-anime-announces-cosplayer-enako-in-cast-song-artists-april-3-debut/.183282

As for this week’s entry: Card Games In Space (w/ Giant Robots)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 14, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's becoming increasingly clear to me we're never getting anything like 5D's ever again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

It's becoming increasingly clear to me we're never getting anything like 5D's ever again.

SEVENS is fun, you should watch it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

SEVENS is fun, you should watch it

Okay but is it good, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

Okay but is it good, though.

I and a large majority of this thread seem to think so at least, yes (and it pretty much stays consistent the whole way through)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arc V had a whole 50 episodes that was a lot like 5Ds tbh.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

sevens is the only yugioh anime that doesn't have any significant low points. it's just a consistently good time from start to finish. please consider it

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MJeff posted:

Zexal and Arc-V were both shows like 5D's where a great chunk of it was good and the rest wasn't. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Arc V had a whole 50 episodes that was a lot like 5Ds tbh.

yeah, the second half of 5Ds