Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

some dude punches you in the head and chokes you during sex you scream and run off

next day you decide to sext him?

poor victim

This is Canada, the victim will obviously apologize for such treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If you wanted to shake the guy down for money going this route seems like a really bad and arduous way to do it oh crap you weren't being serious

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Whoops!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
At this point, Ghomeshi deserves to get off because these women were so loving stupid.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Order?
Reverse
In
Posted
This
Is
Why
But
Curmudgeonly,
Be
To
Hate
I

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sliderule posted:

Order?
Reverse
In
Posted
This
Is
Why
But
Curmudgeonly,
Be
To
Hate
I

twitter

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

sliderule posted:

Order?
Reverse
In
Posted
This
Is
Why
But
Curmudgeonly,
Be
To
Hate
I

Because Twitter is garbage.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Because Twitter is garbage.

Twitter is great and comments like this is why they're inexplicably turning it into facebook little by little.

If you view a thread, it displays the original tweet at the top and the rest chronologically. If you're viewing a timeline, the most recent things are showed first. Perfectly simple.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Putting the cart before the horse: perfectly simple. -- An Albertan

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

jm20 posted:

Reva Seth, a lawyer and best-selling author, wrote about what she says was her own violent encounter with Ghomeshi on The Huffington Post. In her post, Seth anticipates the victim-blaming question of why she didn’t do anything about the assault in the immediate aftermath: “As a lawyer, I'm well aware that the scenario was just a ‘he said/she said’ situation. I was aware that I, as a woman who had had a drink or two, shared a joint, had gone to his house willingly and had a sexual past, would be eviscerated.”

Maybe they are trying to shake him down like those Cosby accusers, that guy is a quaalude saint.

So what exactly do you do in the criminal law context for sexual assault cases? A lawyer wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't try to question their credibility and asking for details in order to discredit their testimony. "what kind of car was he driving" is a legitimate question.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
sexual predators are worthless law breakers and don't deserve any sort of defence. You're either with us or with the rapists.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Twitter is great and comments like this is why they're inexplicably turning it into facebook little by little.

If you view a thread, it displays the original tweet at the top and the rest chronologically. If you're viewing a timeline, the most recent things are showed first. Perfectly simple.
The web UI is horrific. "View other replies"/"See all activity" is the worst thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh hey I didn't realize it's been a year since the ruling on Physician Assisted Death by the Supreme Court and even though there's a four month extension to develop legislation for it, individuals can apply to the courts directly for access in the meantime. Since legislature is dragging their feet on this, I just got an email from the College (I assume the same thing is happening across all health professions in every province) with some guidelines to follow in the meantime and they can basically be summarized as "if you have a conscientous objection, deal with it".

e: I'm really jealous how much better the CPSO's PDF designs are compared to the OCP, shows you where all the money really is :saddowns:

Eej fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 11, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait till it's legal to euthanize seniors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yeah, turns out people aren't perfect rational machines and social behaviour doesn't follow a perfect logic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't wait till it's legal to euthanize seniors

CI your posts are a highlight of my day

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Eej posted:

Oh hey I didn't realize it's been a year since the ruling on Physician Assisted Death by the Supreme Court and even though there's a four month extension to develop legislation for it, individuals can apply to the courts directly for access in the meantime. Since legislature is dragging their feet on this, I just got an email from the College (I assume the same thing is happening across all health professions in every province) with some guidelines to follow in the meantime and they can basically be summarized as "if you have a conscientous objection, deal with it".

e: I'm really jealous how much better the CPSO's PDF designs are compared to the OCP, shows you where all the money really is :saddowns:

Sorry I may be misreading this, but are they saying that the individual doctor has to perform assisted suicide, even if they have a conscientious objection to it?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 9, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I have a real problem defending the accusers in this case. I realize that it's incredibly hard to be in that type of situation and that the entire system is set up to protect the status quo, which definitely favours people who skirt and cross the line of abusive behaviour... but the accusers hurt not only their own case but future individuals who might have wanted to come forward when they experience their own abuse.

Also there's been something off about Lucy the entire time, going back to her interview on the Current right after the story broke, so I honestly can't say I'm surprised that the trial has gone sideways. I was really just expecting it to be her though.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 9, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's completely consistent to believe all the following things at the same time:

1) Jian Ghomeshi is a piece of poo poo.
2) Jian Ghomeshi is probably guilty of a crime.
3) It is a correct verdict to find Ghomeshi not guilty of the specific crimes he is being tried for.

People get away with crimes all the time, and instead of viewing it as the justice system failing, it should be viewed as the justice system working as intended to err on the side of not punishing innocent people.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Monaghan posted:

Sorry I may be misreading this, but are they saying that the individual doctor has to perform assisted suicide, even if they have a conscientious objection to it?

Hold on, I didn't read the Physician one completely I just marveled at how nice it looked. I was just speaking mostly from a Pharmacist POV where we may end up supplying the prescription for medications which will terminate a life.

College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario posted:

C. Conscientious Objection
The SCC’s decision in Carter v. Canada does not compel
physicians to provide physician-assisted death. The SCC
noted that the Charter rights of patients and physicians
would have to be reconciled.

At this interim stage, and in the absence of a framework to
govern the provision of physician-assisted death, physicians
are directed to comply with the expectations for conscientious
objections in general, set out in the Professional Obligations
and Human Rights policy.

These expectations are as follows:

• Where a physician declines to provide physician-assisted
death for reasons of conscience or religion, the physician
must do so in a manner that respects patient dignity. Physicians
must not impede access to physician-assisted death,
even if it conflicts with their conscience or religious beliefs.

• The physician must communicate his/her objection to
physician-assisted death to the patient directly and with
sensitivity. The physician must inform the patient that the
objection is due to personal and not clinical reasons. In the
course of communicating an objection, physicians must
not express personal moral judgments about the beliefs,
lifestyle, identity or characteristics of the patient.

• In order to uphold patient autonomy and facilitate the
decision-making process, physicians must provide the
patient with information about all options for care that
may be available or appropriate to meet the patient’s clinical
needs, concerns and/or wishes. Physicians must not
withhold information about the existence of any procedure
or treatment because it conflicts with their conscience or
religious beliefs.

• Where a physician declines to provide physician-assisted
death for reasons of conscience or religion, the physician
must not abandon the patient. An effective referral must
be provided. An effective referral means a referral made
in good faith, to a non-objecting, available, and accessible
physician or agency. The referral must be made in a timely
manner to allow the patient to access physician-assisted
death. Patients must not be exposed to adverse clinical
outcomes due to delayed referrals.

So no, they don't have to perform it if they don't want to. The one that's relevant to me:

Ontario College of Pharmacists posted:

Guiding Principles of Professionalism when Serving a Patient who has Qualified and Consented to Physician Assisted Death

1. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians must practice within their scope, and comply with the
Code of Ethics, Standards of Practice and in accordance with all relevant and applicable legal
and professional obligations to ensure they safely deliver quality health care.

2. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians limit their practice to services they have the
knowledge, skills and judgement to perform.

3. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians act in the best interest of their patients.

4. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians communicate sensitively and effectively with patients
in a manner that provides patients with health information, referrals, and health services in an
unbiased and respectful manner to enable patients to make well-informed decisions.

5. Pharmacists and pharmacy technicians must not impede access to care or abandon patients
they care for.

6. Conscientious objection by a pharmacist or pharmacy technician must not be directly
conveyed to the patient and no personal moral judgements about the beliefs, lifestyle, identity
or characteristics of the patient should be expressed.

7. Conscientious objections by a pharmacist or pharmacy technician must not impede the right of
patients to receive unbiased information, including an effective referral made in good faith, to
a non-objecting and accessible alternative provider.

To me, 6 and 7 indicate that you can't really do much if you are a conscientious objector because you can't actually voice your moral objection and you are ethically obliged to have the patient's well-being and interests in mind. Giving someone the run around to go to another pharmacy (in some indirect way since you cannot just tell them "I don't want to be involved with killing a person") means you're presumably extending the patient's (and their caretaker's) misery which would be counter to the principle of Beneficence.

Basically I don't see how anyone could ethically do the "oh we don't have any Plan B in stock" song and dance of Conscientious objection when someone's every waking moment is pain and misery.

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 12, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Newfie posted:

A great little capsule on an issue in the Ghomeshi trial on communications between complainants from a great criminal professor at UofA http://petersankoff.com/2016/02/09/ten-minutes-on-the-ghomeshi-trial-communication-between-witnesses/

This is super interesting and I wish a bunch of outlets would pay to post this.

It also basically goes to the point the Crown is hosed in this case and if it wasn't so high profile they would have dropped it before trial.

Newfie posted:

So i was thinking about the outcome of the ghomeshi trial today and one of the thoughts that came to mind was that even if he is found not guilty, isn't justice still served in a sense? From here on out his life is going to be living hell. Everyone he was friends with hate him, he will never have a career in broadcasting, nobody will hire him because if who he is and the claims against him, and he will never be able to go anywhere in Canada without glares or people spitting in his food. Honestly this seems like almost the best outcome possible and that jail time was really just icing on the cake of a scumbag getting his life ruined.

Ghomeshi is going to sue the CBC for millions of dollars for wrong termination and leave the country

PT6A posted:

It's completely consistent to believe all the following things at the same time:

1) Jian Ghomeshi is a piece of poo poo.
2) Jian Ghomeshi is probably guilty of a crime.
3) It is a correct verdict to find Ghomeshi not guilty of the specific crimes he is being tried for.

People get away with crimes all the time, and instead of viewing it as the justice system failing, it should be viewed as the justice system working as intended to err on the side of not punishing innocent people.

He's more then likely guilty as poo poo but he won't be convicted (I'd be suprised if he was)

I'm guessing he also has a bunch of stuff where he admits to women his likes kinky sex, which he admit in public in 2014. The Crown more then likely knows this too.

This whole trial has been a clusterfuck

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sbaldrick posted:

It also basically goes to the point the Crown is hosed in this case and if it wasn't so high profile they would have dropped it before trial.

On my planet, seeing a lot of people crowded around waiting for you to do something stupid makes you less likely to want to do a stupid thing.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

At this point, Ghomeshi deserves to get off because these women were so loving stupid.

If stupidity of the victim guaranteed acquittal there would be no white collar crime.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

sbaldrick posted:

I'm guessing he also has a bunch of stuff where he admits to women his likes kinky sex, which he admit in public in 2014. The Crown more then likely knows this too.

This comes off as a little "slut-shamey" which I didn't mean.

flakeloaf posted:

On my planet, seeing a lot of people crowded around waiting for you to do something stupid makes you less likely to want to do a stupid thing.

More then one lawyer is shocked based on the evidence in this case it went to trial.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

apatheticman posted:

If stupidity of the victim guaranteed acquittal there would be no white collar crime.

Certainly explains how no bankers went to jail for the '08 crash

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

apatheticman posted:

Well, it's not quite stupidity so much as how rich the criminals are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

He's more then likely guilty as poo poo but he won't be convicted (I'd be suprised if he was)

I agree, but the fact that he is factually guilty, which I believe he is, does not necessarily mean he should be found guilty by a court of law. Not only does he (theoretically) have to be guilty for that to happen, but the crown has to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt within the rules of the law.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

sbaldrick posted:

Ghomeshi is going to sue the CBC for millions of dollars for wrong termination and leave the country.
Wouldn't the harassment complaints still be reasonable grounds?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

FowlTheOwl posted:

Wouldn't the harassment complaints still be reasonable grounds?

His lawyer might be able to will get records showing CBC was receiving harassment complaints about him for a very long time before he was fired.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
He won't get a dime for wrongful dismissal. He had a history prior, and was likely told to knock it off. I don't think the CBC producer accuser went to trial but she directly complained and they dropped him after he was found to have violated company code or ethic behavior. They can also say he was sexually harassing women at work which has a much lower bar than this sexual assault after the fact he said she said we got right now.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Ghomeshi is going to sue the CBC for millions of dollars for wrong termination and leave the country

He's already tried...the case was dismissed withdrawn and he had to pay the CBC's legal fees.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

jm20 posted:

New topic, Law enforcement exceptionalism extends beyond the RCMP to the OPP.

What's up with this Bosma murder anyway? Was Bosma a drug dealer or is it really as they say, that he was trying to sell a truck on Kijiji and some guys killed him?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Whatever happened with the CBC shoving everything Ghomeshi was involved with down the memory hole?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Brannock posted:

Whatever happened with the CBC shoving everything Ghomeshi was involved with down the memory hole?

MODS: Post refs unpersons. Make goodspeak.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Like I don't really care that Ghomeshi got fired and I'm pretty sure he's a raper and a harasser and shouldn't be around other people, but it struck me as really weird that the CBC actively scrubbed everything involving him after he was fired. Was there ever any follow-up on that, or a statement from the CBC about it, or what?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

No follow-up is really needed. They did what any corporation would do.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

The Heathrow Express is 36 GBP return. :shrug:

But i thought toronto was world class like london

If you don't take the District/Picadilly to Heathrow like a poor you're doing it wrong.

mik fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 12, 2016

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

mik posted:

If you don't take the District/Picadilly to Heathrow like a poor you're doing it wrong.
Plus, when you leave Heathrow you have the additional joy of taking a train bound for Cockfosters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Brannock posted:

Like I don't really care that Ghomeshi got fired and I'm pretty sure he's a raper and a harasser and shouldn't be around other people, but it struck me as really weird that the CBC actively scrubbed everything involving him after he was fired. Was there ever any follow-up on that, or a statement from the CBC about it, or what?

huh? The Q archives are still up on the cbc site. When I occasionally find myself untriggered, I listen to Jian agree with Dana White that CBC operates in a competitive environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZY2fFYugjY&t=1543s