Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Has there been any indication when we'll see a first patch? So far playing this at launch has just rekindled a dormant interest in Civ V for me again and I've gone back to playing that until at least some of the glaring things are patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

xrunner posted:

by the end I was popping barbarian encampments in the frozen wastelands on the edge of the map

ICEIS kekeke

Chin Strap posted:

Has there been any indication when we'll see a first patch? So far playing this at launch has just rekindled a dormant interest in Civ V for me again and I've gone back to playing that until at least some of the glaring things are patched.

Firaxis doesn't talk much and usually takes their time with their patches, it might be awhile. I'll bet we see one before the end of the year though.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I don't get it and Google isn't helping. Please make your joke funnier by explaining it :)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Won my first religious game as Spain last night, hopefully to get the We Are the Champions achievement (win religiously with Zoroastrianism and as the suzerain of Zanzibar) and managed to do it in a large inland sea map. The real star of the show was the city state of Yerevan, though: its suzerain bonus is to let you pick any promotion you want for your Apostles. I picked Proselytizer (conversion of a city also wipes out all foreign religions in that city!) and Translator (conversions are three times stronger in foreign cities) and basically overran the entire world with those guys. The coolest thing was that the AI basically helped me spread my religion as well because I soon started seeing Zoroastrianian Missionaries from other converted civs spreading the good word in their own lands. Awesome.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Boy do I feel dumb founding a city around the assumption I can build things on the cliffs of dover spaces.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I played a Germany game last night. And yea, the Hansa is definitely the best district, if only because of the reduced cost. You'll definitely want one in all of your cities (why wouldn't you?). However I'm not here to sing the praises of Germany.

England however, I will defend, England has a few interesting things.
  • Harbor - Unique district.
  • Free Melee unit per new city
  • Sea Dog
  • Red Coat

These things synergize in an interesting way, but only on island plates maps, obviously on Pangea or even Continents, England's strengths aren't applicable.

First England almost always starts on the coast, so on the first turn you get the break through for sailing. Researching that is necessary to unlock your district.
Now that you've got Sailing researched, you can build 2 galleys for the next eureka, which is also on the way to your District.
But once you've got the Galley's you can start exploring the ocean where you will very quickly start meeting a ton of City-states, often being the first to do so, get a huge influx of production, science, culture for your capital for free.
Additionally all of those city-states are prime trading targets and there are several policy cards that make those trades more lucrative.
Also you can expand everywhere. The more you expand the more useful your naval yard becomes and the more trade routes you can make getting exponential growth in your best cities.
Finally when Seadogs/Redcoats come online you can and should start aggressively expanding. Your cities start with a redcoat, and you will be rolling in the money allowing you to almost immediately conquer any coastal city you find with support from your navy. Seadogs allow anyone who wants to challenge you on the water, just add to your naval swarm (Seadogs can capture ships). By the time Seadogs/Redcoats fall our of favor you should be well established all over the world, just in time for you to start buying factories and changing all of your foreign trade routes to domestic routes for massive production bonuses.

It's a really fun way to play that is much different from the other civs I've found so far. The main downside is the UI makes each turn take 5-10 minutes of ordering units around, refreshing trade routes, and managing 20 or so cities, so it's not recommended for a "quick" game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played a game on King and while I was making Bombards and Musketmen, Gilgamesh was still tooling around with War Carts. A lot of War Carts, maybe, but still, I think I destroyed them all with like 2 units and no losses. Gandhi also declared Surprise War on me after years of friendship, so I rolled over him with my boomsticks, and the world somehow thinks I'm the warmonger. Although that makes me wonder, if I conquer the civs starting next to me on my home landmass, would unmet players know?

Edit: I also legitimately don't understand how they went backwards with the UI in places (e.g., last trade route).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

xrunner posted:

Not only do they start with more advanced technology, they stay ahead. I finished my first game last night with Gilgamesh and by the end I was popping barbarian encampments in the frozen wastelands on the edge of the map and they were sharing their knowledge of advanced composites with me. I started ignoring them around that point so I don't know if they can boost future tech, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Getting eurekas from barbarian huts as Gilgamesh isn't actually an indicator of the level of tech barbarians have. It just rolls a dice on a table and one of the results is "get a eureka for a researchable tech".

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Chalks posted:

Something is very broken with the expansion AI, it feel like the only ones that were settling aggressively were the ones that started out next to me.

I wonder if they're still using the Civ 5 expansion AI.

I know it took me quite a while to get over not spacing my cities exactly 6 hexes apart.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Brannock posted:

I wonder if they're still using the Civ 5 expansion AI.

I know it took me quite a while to get over not spacing my cities exactly 6 hexes apart.

Yeah, me too.

As for the Expansion AI, perhaps they got raided by barbarians? In one of my games poor Arabia only got one city because it got mauled by the barbs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So is the game any good?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It certainly has a lot of issues, but yes it is good.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

So is the game any good?

Yeah. Has a lot of issues, but it's definitely fun.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Gort posted:

Yeah. Has a lot of issues, but it's definitely fun.

To be fair, I also said the same thing about Civ 5. Civ games always come out of the gate a little wobbly.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Glidergun posted:

To make a corps: Have 2 of the same unit. Move them next to each other and select one. There should be a button on the unit action bar that is two stars. Click on that button, then click on the other unit. The two units should merge into a single unit, with two stars on the unit flag, and somewhat higher combat strength (about +5-+15-ish, I can't recall off the top of my head). Armies work the same way, but you have to merge a lone unit into a corps.

If you have an encampment in a city, you can build corps and armies directly - the unit build section should have little dropdown arrows on the military units, which you can use to select corp production. Later encampment buildings also make this more efficient than building regular units and then merging them.

Small exploit: There is currently nothing stopping a unit from attacking and then later that turn being merged with another unit and then attacking with the new unit. (Idk whichever unit you initially click to start the corps process might still have to have enough move to attack though)

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Chin Strap posted:

It took three months to "patch" xcom 2 and that broke more than it fixed.

Happy waiting.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

reignofevil posted:

Small exploit: There is currently nothing stopping a unit from attacking and then later that turn being merged with another unit and then attacking with the new unit. (Idk whichever unit you initially click to start the corps process might still have to have enough move to attack though)

I think the unit with fewer promotions gets merged into the more senior unit, so you can take a fresh rookie and merge it with a 3- or 4-promotion veteran for minor optimization.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lockback posted:

To be fair, I also said the same thing about Civ 5. Civ games always come out of the gate a little wobbly.

Civ 5 is decent. Beyond Earth is execrable.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

reignofevil posted:

Are you sure? I thought merging units into a corps/army used all of the new corps/army's movement.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Are you sure? I thought merging units into a corps/army used all of the new corps/army's movement.

I did it on my domination victory. I don't recall specifically if it was a corp merging into an army or a unit merging into a corp but I can say with 100% certainty that I attacked with the unit I later merged into an army and attacked again.

I'll try it again though just in case i'm insane. (always a real possibility)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

reignofevil posted:

I did it on my domination victory. I don't recall specifically if it was a corp merging into an army or a unit merging into a corp but I can say with 100% certainty that I attacked with the unit I later merged into an army and attacked again.

I'll try it again though just in case i'm insane. (always a real possibility)

Was it an army with the promotion that allows multiple attacks, maybe?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kassad posted:

It works if you consider each district is a city in its own right and Civ VI cities are more like region/provinces/states/etc.

Edit: And it worked for Bremen :v:

I'm not saying it's not realistic. Just that it's a first for Civ.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lockback posted:

Civ I was a perfect gem. Bombarding a barbarian phalanx with your battleship offshore and having the battleship lose and sink was a feature, not a bug.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

Civ I was a perfect gem. Bombarding a barbarian phalanx with your battleship offshore and having the battleship lose and sink was a feature, not a bug.

Fortunately in Civ 6 your battleships will never have to face anything but spearmen! Revenge is sweet.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Magil Zeal posted:

Attack with unit A, unit A is now beat to poo poo.
Unit B moves up and sucks unit A into a corps.
Their health is now an average and you won't lose any units in the counter-attack.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Civilization VI: I love pigs

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

uPen posted:

Attack with unit A, unit A is now beat to poo poo.
Unit B moves up and sucks unit A into a corps.
Their health is now an average and you won't lose any units in the counter-attack.

Yeah the first part works I was just curious about attacking with the corps/army after merging, that never worked for me. Though I never tried it with the attack after move promotion. I think I've seen ranged units attack with zero move if they have the final promotion.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

So is the game any good?
It is not, no.

Here are many reasons for why it is not good:

- The faction balance is terrible.

- The AI is unforgivably bad at literally all of the mechanics. Even giving it extra settlers and units to start with does not help.

- The AI is also incredibly pushy, but given that it is so inept at warfare on every difficulty, this is just annoying.

- Related to the above, too much diplomacy involves time-wasting animations

- There is no 'confirm' button on going to war with someone by accidentally clicking the Declare War button versus Whatever button in response to their dumbass complaint about troops near their territory, with a slightly laggy interface.

- Too many units are gated behind strategic resources. City states often cannot upgrade their literal bowmen and spears for the whole game because they don't have iron or niter. Your battleships cannot run on oil or coal, just coal, which is on a completely different tech path.

- Since City States are usually a pisstake to destroy because their units are bad and their city strength is not high, the Suzerain system only works for city states you actually want, that lie very securely inside your borders, and that you can keep control of easily with envoys. Otherwise anyone can just take them over by force with a couple of units.

- On the subject of units, if you like to click fast, you will hate the automatic (and laggy) unit cycling you can't turn off that will end in dragging move orders halfway over the map at least once per game.

- If you like to click slowly, you will lose every multiplayer game with simultaneous turns.

- There's no Sentry command, despite barbarians being more impactful and units being broadly faster, so you really have to go around every single city just checking there's nobody about kill your workers/improvements.

- Making your cities shoot things is actually quite awkward and needs a just-right level of zoom. It also sometimes doesn't happen because their code, like Jeb!, is a mess.

- There's stupid notifications about things you often can't do anything about (or that it is only very inefficient to do anything about) that appear nearly constantly and clart up your sidebar.

- There are no build queues in a game where ICS is by a long way the most optimal strategy. This is apparently to make turns resolve faster. Having to go around my entire empire every couple of turns does not feel fast.

- You can't even infinitely build research/culture/gold anymore, and the game doesn't tell you how much doing the barracks type Make Gold + GPP For Some Turns command makes versus the bank type Make Gold + GPP for Some Turns command.

- The game also doesn't tell you that disbanding units in your territory a) makes money, which it does, and consequently b) how much money it makes, which can be a lot.

- 2 of the victory conditions are hot garbage mechanically:

- For the Tourist victory, nowhere in the Civilopedia or in the Victory part of the interface are you told what a Tourist even is, what specifically attracts them away from home, if domestic tourists who go abroad can ever be lured back, how many turns it will take to win a tourist victory with your current output, or if you even can win a tourist victory with your current cultural output.

- Religious victories can only ever be won by slightly more than 50% of players, and the much touted Religious Combat is just regular combat but with less tactics. Mash units into each other forever for sick prizes, PS picker of the best religious combat trait wins. If you don't have 2 foreign religions in your land, you cannot expel religions from your own cities if you did not found one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

You forgot the AI denouncing you for essentially just playing the game. Generate any great people? Then Brazil is going to kick right off.

And it still doesn't take tech into effect when calculating your military so the AI who has 50 spearmen is going to declare war on your ten tanks.

Plus barbarians can spawn in the tiniest bit of fog so have fun barb bashing well into the late game when it's nothing more than just boring as hell.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

All of that is true. There is a lot wrong with the game. It's still fun, though. Like Civ III, IV, and V, it is horribly broken and sometimes extremely frustrating at release. I'm confident that they'll iron out the kinks. By the time the second expansion comes out, the game will be so good that you'll forget it was ever bad and when Civ 7 comes out, you'll be amazed at how broken it and bad it is. This is the cycle of Civ. Even when it's bad and broken, we still keep clicking "Next Turn"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Like, technically all that is true and I agree. But I still have One More Turn Syndrome and I will probably put in at least another 30 hours growing more and more disillusioned with it before setting it aside until I pre-order the expansion

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mostly true, but you can turn off both Diplomacy animations and the unit cycling, though the latter requires an ini tweak.

Also the Archer and Spearman unit lines do not require resources to upgrade, only swordsmen, musketeers, knights, battleships, tanks, and a couple of other lategame dudes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I also find exploration really difficult. Usually in 4 you could trade maps and in 5 you'd easily cover the map with a few recon units. In 6 I've barely got any map explored until I get satellites. This is due to the new movement system that the AI isn't very good at handling. The ramping up of the cost of units is pretty insane too, it shouldn't take 3 turns to build a university but 15 to build an infantry.

Don't get me wrong I'm still bashing "end turn" at 3am on a weekday but the problems in the game really get annoying. How is that stupid unit cycling thing in there but the game doesn't notify you when your cities can fire at barbarians?

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 2, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've just got a couple of the early scouts on auto-explore and they seem to be doing a fine job.

I'm having fun so far.

What game are the critics playing instead where all these things are perfect? All video games are just that, Rust has a shitload of hackers, any RTS always falls into an actions-per-minute clickfest and iRacing is still about hip and shouldering your way through the field.

Just real wonders and races as opposed to what we got in Beyond Earth is enough to keep me interested at the moment.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

What game are the critics playing instead where all these things are perfect? All video games are just that, Rust has a shitload of hackers, any RTS always falls into an actions-per-minute clickfest and iRacing is still about hip and shouldering your way through the field.

Nobody's saying it should be perfect. More that these things were sorted already and it's weird to create (for example) a new UI that's so incredibly bad at showing information. Even little things, Civ5 had people clamouring for a map at the end of the game to show how the cities had progressed. That was added because so many people had issue with it. Yet it's missing from here. Or renaming cities. How the hell is that not in the game?!

I play on a "New" world so there's a lot of hills. The scouts can't get up them sometimes so instead they go back on themselves. Over and over and over. Then barbarians turn up so they're stuck there too.

Plus there's just no way the AI should still have spearmen when it is in the atomic age. It definitely shouldn't be spending money building warriors, like it does. I'm playing on Emperor as well which is way higher difficulty wise than I'd ever play any of the others.

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 2, 2016

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

GrandpaPants posted:

I played a game on King and while I was making Bombards and Musketmen, Gilgamesh was still tooling around with War Carts. A lot of War Carts, maybe, but still, I think I destroyed them all with like 2 units and no losses. Gandhi also declared Surprise War on me after years of friendship, so I rolled over him with my boomsticks, and the world somehow thinks I'm the warmonger. Although that makes me wonder, if I conquer the civs starting next to me on my home landmass, would unmet players know?

Edit: I also legitimately don't understand how they went backwards with the UI in places (e.g., last trade route).

war carts are one of the best units in the game. light cavalry from the start of the game that upgrades into knights? yes please!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Das Butterbrot posted:

war carts are one of the best units in the game. light cavalry from the start of the game that upgrades into knights? yes please!

They're heavy cavalry! The game tells you they're immune to the powers of anti cavalry units but Warcarts still seem to get a proper kicking off of spearmen.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really hate that trade routes rarely generate any benefit for the target civ. Part of the fun and intricacy of trading is that it benefits your opponent also.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why is there even a whole window in the UI for "Other Civ Gets" when 99 out of 100 times the answer is "Nothing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm really looking forward to the first patch. Not because I expect it to fix the game, but because I expect it to change enough that any game fixing mods I make now would break when it's released. We need that patch released so we can start making the game sensible.