Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
We haven't even seen Flame play in a while, I don't think we know if he's good right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Shadow225 posted:

I don't watch a lot of LCK, or even league period these days, but I don't think it's fair to say Flame isn't as good as the two SKT top laners. Like obviously you're going to appear to play better when a slump season for your team still ends up with a Worlds spot.

Has Marin even done anything since leaving last year?

e: I am nitpicking your post, but everything else made sense
I tried to emphasis that Flame at his best isn't as good as the SKT top laners at their best. CJ Entus funneled all their resources into Flame carrying the game (Thus the "Flame Horizon") whereas Marin and Duke and Smeb were doing the exact same thing in the lane swap meta where they were being starved through the first 10 minutes of the game because of lane swaps, and they weren't constantly getting tons of creep waves from their team.

Flame played a couple champions at a really, really dominant level but meta shifts always seemed to gently caress him over, especially when it moved away from top carry champions. If Flame were on CJ Entus in Season 5 instead of in China he probably would have been outstanding in that World's patch cycle, but I don't know how good his Fiora/Gangplank/Darius actually stacked up to other great top laners since he only played like 2 games at Worlds.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Regardless of how you feel about flame, we all know it's one of the core components of the game.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
not being on the starting roster means he sucks too much to make the first string

i'm clueless as to why anyone ever cared to talk up his play/abilities after he got benched like 3 years ago

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

To be fair, Flame Horizon is really fun to say

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

exethan posted:

not being on the starting roster means he sucks too much to make the first string

i'm clueless as to why anyone ever cared to talk up his play/abilities after he got benched like 3 years ago
Flame could have done well but we'll never know because he was stuck in the Lonzhu prison

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Save was better than Flame and had the most inexplicable implosion of skill I think has ever happened in competitive League.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Folks if you turn on annie bots stream right now hes top laning against hanshinshin... u dont want to miss... this...

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

Save was better than Flame and had the most inexplicable implosion of skill I think has ever happened in competitive League.

That whole team was dumbly talented and played like horrific poo poo at worlds, I didn't understand it then and I don't now.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Sexpansion posted:

That whole team was dumbly talented and played like horrific poo poo at worlds, I didn't understand it then and I don't now.

The difference in play between their 9-1 run in the gauntlet and then struggling in groups and losing 3-0 in the quarters was...something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wol posted:

Gotta keep players sleeping under the staircase like Harry loving Potter or they'll just lose that hunger for gold, man.

What a load of crap. I don't know where all these dumb opinions you keep mentioning come from (Reddit? Twitter?) but it's good to know the average level of pro League discourse is apparently on twitch chat level.

you cant write anything about league without having twitter egg randos coming in and yelling these things at you

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

rabidsquid posted:

you cant write anything about league without having twitter egg randos coming in and yelling these things at you

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

exethan posted:

well, a dude being on the bench isn't necessarily an indication he's not good. watch was rusty as gently caress and definitely not better than peanut, and they didnt bother to develop peanut or even try starting him on a roster that had duke and ohq and was literally one player away from being decent

of course then they became KONGDOO MONSTER so it worked out in the end

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Someone who is on the bench should deserve to be there with the limited info we have. You would assume orgs would scrim with their actual bench players regularly to assess their skill and make correct lineup decisions. You would assume a lot of things about pro league teams though and be wrong a lot of the time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

They weren't all amazing. Ggong was great on Zed/Nid/Lb but on other champs he is very weak.. Even Hai did well vs him. Save was really good so it was weird he didn't live upto standards. In the gauntlet they mostly got carried by Watch/Zefa which only happened once in a blue moon. Gorilla/Save were the best players and most consistent. Ggong at his peak was Top3 mid but he was very inconsistent.

Also talking about Zefa wasn't there an article about him having cancer? Hopefully he recovers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

Someone who is on the bench should deserve to be there with the limited info we have. You would assume orgs would scrim with their actual bench players regularly to assess their skill and make correct lineup decisions. You would assume a lot of things about pro league teams though and be wrong a lot of the time.

The saga of LZIM this summer basically proves that even Korean teams can apparently not know poo poo about poo poo. How do you have that roster, consistently always choose the wrong players to start, and also ruin Coco in the course of a single split? That's nearly unparalleled organizational incompetence.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

The saga of LZIM this summer basically proves that even Korean teams can apparently not know poo poo about poo poo. How do you have that roster, consistently always choose the wrong players to start, and also ruin Coco in the course of a single split? That's nearly unparalleled organizational incompetence.
Lustboy is their coach.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Scarra and QT and Dyrus talking about season 2 worlds is really heartwarming :3:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

RealFoxy posted:

Lustboy is their coach.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

Schnorkles posted:

Scarra and QT and Dyrus talking about season 2 worlds is really heartwarming :3:

Not to be the worst, but they only vaguely referenced what happened and a cursory Google search didn't really clarify much. Could someone explain or link and explanation about what happened? I didn't start following league until late season 4 and all I could find was Dyrus's apology video.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

siriuslysomething posted:

Not to be the worst, but they only vaguely referenced what happened and a cursory Google search didn't really clarify much. Could someone explain or link and explanation about what happened? I didn't start following league until late season 4 and all I could find was Dyrus's apology video.

dyrus was trying to fit in with the europeans and leaked dignitas strategy they had for CLG EU (froggen's team)

everyone got mad at him and he cried about it, even his team hated him, and every NA team played like poo poo

what they fail to mention is that they would've got stomped into the dirt either way

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

siriuslysomething posted:

Dignitas were the weakest team in their group at Worlds Season 2 so they came up with a cheese strat (involving a roaming taric support) to take advantage of the fact that the teams only played a single Bo1 against each other. Dyrus knew about the strat because the two teams had been scrimming each other and his dumb rear end leaked it.

Savage Cracker fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 24, 2016

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

exethan posted:

dyrus was trying to fit in with the europeans and leaked dignitas strategy they had for CLG EU (froggen's team)

everyone got mad at him and he cried about it, even his team hated him, and every NA team played like poo poo

what they fail to mention is that they would've got stomped into the dirt either way

He's said multiple times on stream that it's his biggest regret in his career but qtpie and dom have both joked about it with him so much that at the least it's apparent it's not a big deal to them anymore

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

At best Dig could have used it to cheese two or three wins before a better team just shut it down. They never would have made it past first round of knockouts.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
Great thanks for the responses!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Luna Was Here posted:

He's said multiple times on stream that it's his biggest regret in his career but qtpie and dom have both joked about it with him so much that at the least it's apparent it's not a big deal to them anymore

Well, Qtpie did also apparently ask for some apology Taco Bell.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Well, Qtpie did also apparently ask for some apology Taco Bell.

That seems like fair compensation for leaking the ultimate cheese strat roaming taric support which a team like CLG EU which was legendary for stalling out games could never have adapted to.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

That seems like fair compensation for leaking the ultimate cheese strat roaming taric support which a team like CLG EU which was legendary for stalling out games could never have adapted to.

Truth

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

so what if they played one game with roaming taric and then the next team they played just banned it

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
shoulda gone back to the old rock solid strats like qtpie on lich bane cait mid

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Radical posted:

so what if they played one game with roaming taric and then the next team they played just banned it

Maybe they would've adopted some CLG blue side strats

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Lovechop posted:

shoulda gone back to the old rock solid strats like qtpie on lich bane cait mid

Now that's a spicy throwback right there

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
new monte video, havent watched it yet but the thumbnail is him sipping some coffee, take a shot for every minute of pure smug he exhibits in the video rule is now in effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwakvAuHobA

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Luna Was Here posted:

new monte video, havent watched it yet but the thumbnail is him sipping some coffee, take a shot for every minute of pure smug he exhibits in the video rule is now in effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwakvAuHobA

Just in time for my new avatar

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Libertine posted:

Just in time for my new avatar

loving perfect

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
First half the top 20 players is out

http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/featured/top2016/

Since Riot already said how many players from each position made the list we know the top 10 will consist of 2 toplaners, 2 junglers, 2 mids, 3 adc's and 1 support.
Smeb, Duke, Clearlove, Peanut, Bjergsen, Faker, Deft, Bang, Pray and Gorilla seem like the obvious candidates for the top 10 in some kind of order.

Savage Cracker fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 24, 2016

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Listening to this dude it's kinda exhausting. I don't know if he fully grasps that at the end of the day, Riot is keeping these folks from basically becoming Monte juniors and demanding way more. I mean whether or not you see it as lovely is one thing but it makes complete sense that Riot or any other big company on earth wouldn't want their employees to moonlight other products or even themselves because the whole point is promoting their product. For Monte being freelance this just seems utterly alien to him so he's talking out of his rear end and trying to start some kinda revolution nobody is going to dare do because that just isn't how things are. If you're hired in as a full time employee the rules are infinitely different from being just a dude that shows up, talks massive poo poo about how every region is inferior to Korea, and gets a paycheck and sits really far back in his chair with a smirk.

The dude is impressively burying himself from doing anything with Riot though and the fact he's even the slightest bit bitter that they want nothing to do with him is hilarious.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
He's for sure a huge dipshit

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
And I mean I get his appeal but I've never liked it. Yeah, sure, it's great that he can call a game over five minutes in while Rioters will try to make it seem like the rank 12 team stands a chance against rank 1. But that kind of casting relies insanely heavily on the casters and their personality. He's made no attempt to hide he's a douche, starting off with the train conductor schtick in S3 Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I don't know how you guys watch the hour-plus long individual talking about their opinions videos.

When I open a youtube video and it's one guy with a microphone and the run-time of the video is more than 5 minutes, that's an immediate browser tab close for me.

• Locked thread