Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Uterine Lineup posted:

A few years ago after our mom passed away we had to do something with her car. We offered it to our youngest sister since she needed a car and was just starting college but she decided that she needed a brand new car and didn't want it. We sold it to Carmax and went on our way. A few months later she leased a Honda Fit and borrowed $4,000 from our dad as a down payment. We all told her that was a dumb thing to do but people that are bad with money tend to be really stubborn.

Her lease is up in December and she decided she can't afford the car payment (still in college, sort of, even longer story) so she plans on giving it back to the dealer and this time buying a new car and financing it so the monthly payment is around $200 a month.

I am thankful every day she is not into horses or MLM schemes.

I'd put an asterisk on "don't buy a new car in 2017" with "except a Honda Fit". Great value, inexpensive car, and holds value on the used market really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Risky Bisquick posted:

I bought a brand new car, it still is GWM because of the new car smell maybe you bought too much car for your lifestyle. You do value the premium leather new car aroma right?

We bought a 65k car on roughly half a million a year in gross pay. The car is great, it drives great, it smells great, it looks great, I like the premium leather new car aroma. It's just about the dumbest way to spend money I've found.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Risky Bisquick posted:

I bought a brand new car, it still is GWM because of the new car smell maybe you bought too much car for your lifestyle. You do value the premium leather new car aroma right?

This is sarcasm, right? You can buy new car smell in a spray bottle for :10bux:

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We bought a 65k car on roughly half a million a year in gross pay. The car is great, it drives great, it smells great, it looks great, I like the premium leather new car aroma. It's just about the dumbest way to spend money I've found.

I thought humble brags were no longer allowed?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

drat man that is something *frantically mashing silent alarm button under the counter*

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
New cars are bad with money at every level of earnings.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Hutzpah posted:

I thought humble brags were no longer allowed?

Holy poo poo I can't believe every post that guy makes still has to talk about how much money he makes like a year after he started posting here

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Uterine Lineup posted:

A few years ago after our mom passed away we had to do something with her car. We offered it to our youngest sister since she needed a car and was just starting college but she decided that she needed a brand new car and didn't want it. We sold it to Carmax and went on our way. A few months later she leased a Honda Fit and borrowed $4,000 from our dad as a down payment. We all told her that was a dumb thing to do but people that are bad with money tend to be really stubborn.

Her lease is up in December and she decided she can't afford the car payment (still in college, sort of, even longer story) so she plans on giving it back to the dealer and this time buying a new car and financing it so the monthly payment is around $200 a month.

I am thankful every day she is not into horses or MLM schemes.

In all fairness, Honda FITs are up there in the least bad with money cars possible to drive and short of great returns on speculative investment vehicles the best possible with money (BPWM) new cars to buy, high reliability, highly desirable compact Hondas that depreciate almost linearly and are frequently sold with great manufacturer incentives.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Bro you got precision laser strike trolled with the "too much car for your lifestyle" comment

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

New cars are bad with money at every level of earnings.

I will spreadsheet fight you over the benefits of a brand new prius prime under the right circumstances.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

I will spreadsheet fight you over the benefits of a brand new prius prime under the right circumstances.

tough to beat the absurdly low tco on a used regular prius

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’ll give anyone involved with a spreadsheet fight a free wedgie.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

canyoneer posted:

I'd put an asterisk on "don't buy a new car in 2017" with "except a Honda Fit". Great value, inexpensive car, and holds value on the used market really well.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

In all fairness, Honda FITs are up there in the least bad with money cars possible to drive and short of great returns on speculative investment vehicles the best possible with money (BPWM) new cars to buy, high reliability, highly desirable compact Hondas that depreciate almost linearly and are frequently sold with great manufacturer incentives.

This may be true if you buy but a 20 year old leasing a car for 3 years with no plan on how she is going to pay for the car once the lease expires is certainly BWM.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congrats on your ridiculous household income. It's not even 15% of your gross income. This is not BWM but it is a humblebrag

edit: like this is seriously like a guy who makes 1 million coming in here and saying "man I"m SOOOO bad at money I bought a Lamborghini guys am I right :smug: "

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 22, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh God no please not another car discussion.

I think we can all agree that $60k trucks are not good and neither are high interest rates and screw leases. Otherwise people choose their automotive transportation based on such a wide variety of variables as to make it next to impossible to accurately mock people on the internet.

And really, anyone who humble brags should get banned because they can obviously afford another :10bux:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

And really, anyone who humble brags should get banned because they can obviously afford another :10bux:
I'm on board with this being a thread rule.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It really pained you when you put spoiler tags on your first humble brag didn't it? Just couldn't let that go.

Please get the gently caress out of this thread and don't come back.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

tough to beat the absurdly low tco on a used regular prius

I will free charge this car for 100 years if i have to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigDave posted:

I thought 'new car smell' was a combination of fumes from industrial solvents and adhesives.

It is, and someone gave me a novelty spray can of it as a joke. It's convincing. Smells like a mixture of various 3M vehicle adhesives and some petrochemicals.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Never, never cosign on private student loans. Especially with your college boyfriend while you are also in college, because you may break up and he may decide to stop paying.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7ehui2/wife_cosigned_loan_ex_says_he_will_no_longer_pay/
Wife Co-Signed Loan, EX says he will no longer pay / going to declare bankruptcy. (NJ)
(self.legaladvice)
submitted 14 hours ago by polishgoku

quote:

A Years ago (2012-13) my wife co-signed a private student loan with her at the time boyfriend.
Long story short he messaged my wife yesterday saying he will no longer be repaying the loan since he just had a child and can no longer afford it. His girlfriend (mother of the child) wants the money to go to them and the baby rather than paying the school loan. He is also going to be filing for bankruptcy. Wonderful.
The loan balance is $15,000. Not something we can afford at this time. We are in NJ. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

canyoneer posted:

Never, never cosign on private student loans.

this is dumb

the story is great though, and even though similar stories come up all the time, i enjoy each and every one of them

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm on board with this being a thread rule.

Pushing for a rule that might lead to you getting banned is BWM.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
You know, when I was in my early twenties I used to think my mom was overbearing and paranoid. She refused to cosign on anything with me, micromanaged a lot of things, and was convinced a lot of things were scams.

Reading a lot of these BWM stories made me realize she did a good job with me because I was a pretty gullible naive and stubborn kid. And she didn't magically know all this stiff; quite a bit of it was things she herself learned the hard way.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Never, never cosign on private student loans. Especially with your college boyfriend while you are also in college, because you may break up and he may decide to stop paying.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7ehui2/wife_cosigned_loan_ex_says_he_will_no_longer_pay/
Wife Co-Signed Loan, EX says he will no longer pay / going to declare bankruptcy. (NJ)
(self.legaladvice)
submitted 14 hours ago by polishgoku

On the other hand, if he was able to convince her to cosign the loans in the first place (seriously, why?), he may have a promising career in sales that will let him take care of the loans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hoodwinker posted:

He said literal children.

Regardless, bitcoin is in full-on mania at this point. With a rise in bitcoin prices comes a rise in BWM stories. Buy! Buy! Buy!

Less mania and more disaster. Bitfinex, one of the few exchanges that hasn't yet imploded, has been discovered to be vastly overcommitted compared to their cash reserves, and the price of BTC is being hugely inflated as buying BTC is the only effective way to get something of even theoretical value out of monies stored there now.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Less mania and more disaster. Bitfinex, one of the few exchanges that hasn't yet imploded, has been discovered to be vastly overcommitted compared to their cash reserves, and the price of BTC is being hugely inflated as buying BTC is the only effective way to get something of even theoretical value out of monies stored there now.
This is not the first time this has happened with an exchange either.

Also, source?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On the other hand, if he was able to convince her to cosign the loans in the first place (seriously, why?), he may have a promising career in sales that will let him take care of the loans.

Well IANAL, but if he's said he's not going to pay for them and there's a co-signer, that's pretty much not an issue, right?

Unless she literally starves to death, that is.

That doesn't take away from the fact that this guy is a HUGE piece of poo poo, and his girlfriend is as well for knowing the situation and saying "yeah, go ahead and gently caress her over for no reason." I hate people.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

To be fair, the wife in question may just be as thick as two short planks.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Co-signing for someone else's student loans may be bad but I think my sister's got them beat.

She took out the full amount of student loans for 3-4 years of a very expensive private university in southern California, which my dad was already paying for, to fund her then husband's magic internet woo-woo company in 1997-99. I can't remember what they were doing exactly, I think designing e-commerce portals using flash or some crap, but he and his brother and their 4 employees needed a massive office in LA with a marble foyer to do this and since he'd already bled his dad's retirement savings dry he had the brilliant idea of getting low-interest loans entirely in my sister's name. We don't talk a lot about money between siblings, but my mom says it was over $200,000 that she gave him.

Guess what happened in 2001? Yeah, *poof* all the money's gone, he's got no business and tons of bills and he's bust. Fortunately, she got a degree in pharmacology and passed the state licensing test so she could start working as a pharmacist/pharmacy manager so they didn't get evicted from their internet-cool-guy Santa Monica apartment. Meanwhile he's all depressed and mopey and not working so when she gets a job offer in a small town near the mountains they decide to move. "They" got approved for a mortgage on a duplex (she was the only one with any income), so he said he'd be the handyman and fix it up and be the landlord etc. etc. while she works but instead he got into rock climbing and just spent any money she brought home on ropes, harnesses, shoes, bags and whatever else he wanted. Never did any work on the house at all. Eventually she made him get an actual job so he got a job at the rock climbing gear store and just worked directly for gear basically and then made her pay when he wanted to go out with his buddies.

In the end, she got sick of his bullshit and divorced him. In the settlement, he graciously gave up his "equity" in the duplex in exchange for the loan debt. But seeing as how he'd never actually done any work on the house (and not to mention she'd made all the payments anyway), it was in desperate shape and I think she barely managed to break even on it after it was all over.

I'll skip a lot of E/N drama to let you know that she later married a guy who is on the deadbeat dad register because he'd been paying his child support in cash to his ex and once the kid was 18 she reported him for non-payment to get that gravy train started again.

And dude? Last year his new company (he was co-founder and C level) got bought for an absurd sum of money and he's suddenly worth several hundreds of millions of dollars and getting glowing profiles written about him in Forbes and poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

This is not the first time this has happened with an exchange either.

Also, source?

The Bitcoin Thread is a joy of misery.

Azathoth posted:

Okay, effort post incoming, because it's far funnier and way more scammy.

It was, and continues to be, at a technical level more or less what you describe: an extra layer on top of bitcoin, but that's not really why anyone is buying or selling them. They're effectively a way for Bitfinex to keep from the wolves from the door, at least for a while.

The company that is responsible for creating and issuing Tether started separate, but was bought out/merged/whatever with Bitfinex at some point. For the longest time, Bitfinex pretended that it was totally a completely separate company, but the cat's out of the bag on that, so they've shifted to "sister companies" of late, but for all intents and purposes, they act as a single entity.

They've publicly promised that all Tether issued is backed by USD held by the company, and they only issue more when they get more USD. Over time, Tether has issued literally hundreds of millions of dollars worth into the market, and despite promised audits, there's no proof they've got any cash reserves at all, let alone hundreds of millions of dollars.

As for Bitfinex, they have not allowed withdrawals in cash for some time, but continue to allow withdrawals in Bitcoin. As such, any cash balance on Bitfinex is purely notional, and as the realization that they're insolvent has spread, more and more people buy Bitcoin at any price, not because they think it will go up, but because they want out before the house of cards collapses. The rising price provides an incentive to get out sooner, as cash in Bitfinex becomes increasingly devalued.

Anyone who still has cash in Bitfinex has a vested interest in not looking too deeply into what is happening while they withdraw what they can in Bitcoin. This staves off immediate collapse, but means that the company starts burning Bitcoin faster than it is coming in, and puts Bitfinex on a path to disorderly collapse once Bitcoin reserves run dry. To buy more time, the company routinely drops a shitload of Tether on Bitfinex, which is immediately used to buy all the Bitcoin it can.

Of late, there's been increasingly large and more frequent releases of Tether, which is making it harder for them to find bag hodlers, which means they need to issue even more Tether to keep solvent, which further makes it harder to find new bag hodlers, etc.

At some point, the whole thing will collapse once Bitfinex either finally runs out of Bitcoin or gets busted for fraud, but who knows when that'll be.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What is Tether?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Tether is an altcoin supposedly backed by real dollars (it isn't). It's basically a gigantic scam of an altcoin and you should never hold any for any reason whatsoever.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Paying child support in cash, just.... WHY?!?!?!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Under the table business?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Paying child support in cash, just.... WHY?!?!?!

Because you were making your money in a way that you can't deal with banks?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

The Bitcoin Thread is a joy of misery.
How much of all Bitcoin is traded/held/sold/whatever'd on Bitfinex? How much of an effect will this have on the insane circus we know and love/hate?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Phanatic posted:

Because you were making your money in a way that you can't deal with banks?

Even then, I'd just eat the fee and use money orders or some other traceable payment method.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

How much of all Bitcoin is traded/held/sold/whatever'd on Bitfinex? How much of an effect will this have on the insane circus we know and love/hate?

The bad thing is, it doesn't matter. Due to the cargo cult nature of bitcoin, the devaluation of paper balances on bitfinex pushing up the price of coin there as the only way to launder the value out leads to the rest of the bitcoin sphere of influence seizing on these new values as good.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

greazeball posted:

Co-signing for someone else's student loans may be bad but I think my sister's got them beat.

She took out the full amount of student loans for 3-4 years of a very expensive private university in southern California, which my dad was already paying for, to fund her then husband's magic internet woo-woo company in 1997-99. I can't remember what they were doing exactly, I think designing e-commerce portals using flash or some crap, but he and his brother and their 4 employees needed a massive office in LA with a marble foyer to do this and since he'd already bled his dad's retirement savings dry he had the brilliant idea of getting low-interest loans entirely in my sister's name. We don't talk a lot about money between siblings, but my mom says it was over $200,000 that she gave him.

Guess what happened in 2001? Yeah, *poof* all the money's gone, he's got no business and tons of bills and he's bust. Fortunately, she got a degree in pharmacology and passed the state licensing test so she could start working as a pharmacist/pharmacy manager so they didn't get evicted from their internet-cool-guy Santa Monica apartment. Meanwhile he's all depressed and mopey and not working so when she gets a job offer in a small town near the mountains they decide to move. "They" got approved for a mortgage on a duplex (she was the only one with any income), so he said he'd be the handyman and fix it up and be the landlord etc. etc. while she works but instead he got into rock climbing and just spent any money she brought home on ropes, harnesses, shoes, bags and whatever else he wanted. Never did any work on the house at all. Eventually she made him get an actual job so he got a job at the rock climbing gear store and just worked directly for gear basically and then made her pay when he wanted to go out with his buddies.

In the end, she got sick of his bullshit and divorced him. In the settlement, he graciously gave up his "equity" in the duplex in exchange for the loan debt. But seeing as how he'd never actually done any work on the house (and not to mention she'd made all the payments anyway), it was in desperate shape and I think she barely managed to break even on it after it was all over.

I'll skip a lot of E/N drama to let you know that she later married a guy who is on the deadbeat dad register because he'd been paying his child support in cash to his ex and once the kid was 18 she reported him for non-payment to get that gravy train started again.

And dude? Last year his new company (he was co-founder and C level) got bought for an absurd sum of money and he's suddenly worth several hundreds of millions of dollars and getting glowing profiles written about him in Forbes and poo poo.

This story had the worst punchline :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I couldn't follow who is dude