Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

In the spirit of :justpost:, I thought I'd add another strip to the rotation: Flo & Friends

Wikpedia posted:

Flo & Friends centers on Flo, a senior citizen whose life does not conform to the stereotypes about the elderly. She hosts a radio show and works hard to stay mentally youthful and active. Flo's granddaughter Treggie lives with her and does a lot to keep Flo young, and also frequently highlights the vast differences between her own generation and her grandmother's.

The strip also features Flo's close friends, Ruthie and Winnie, as well as Treggie's Uncles Larry and Jack, and Cleo the cat and Jasper the dog.

The strip's creator John Gibel, had the idea to create a strip about seniors while volunteering at non-profit organizations in Cleveland, Ohio. However, he felt he needed help since "he knew he wasn't funny or artistic," so he enlisted Jenny Campbell, a freelance illustrator, and John Murtha to assist.[2] Campbell assumed responsibility for the strip after the sudden death of John Gibel in early 2005.

Jenny Campbell grew up in the Phoenix–Scottsdale area, and graduated from Arizona State University in 1979, beginning as a fine arts major, but finishing with a BA in journalism.[3] While still in college, she started at The Arizona Republic as the paper's first female copyboy and went on to become a picture editor, occasional feature writer and sometime cartoonist. She then worked for the Pasadena Star-News and the Orange County Register. She eventually ended up in Chagrin Falls, Ohio in 1996, enabling her to connect with John Gibel through a mutual friend.[4]

Scary Gary :drac:

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

"Help me, Clinkety-Clank"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Rudy isn't your mom head of a corporation that does nothing but murder people

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House turns into "Our Boarding Party". (August 10-12, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (August 11, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (October 30-November 1, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Disaster Tourist (March 21, 1915)

The Adventures of Marmaduke (March 25-27, 1940)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Doomykins posted:

Yes but not rabbits so checkmate atheists.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

JethroMcB posted:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

yeah but she's one of the Good Predators unlike...everyone not Rudy and his friends and family.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 21, 1963)

Another guy loving around is about to find out.

JethroMcB posted:

:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Eat it, Wilbur. Eat the fish.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

I've worked in jewelry enough to know that the answer is "no, you don't". It's not just the price thing. Rose gold is not the hardest-wearing sort. If he got this necklace, I'd expect it back at the jeweler's in just a few months and then be put away and only taken out for special occasions which are never quite special enough so now it's just gathering dust.

Or else it just disappears.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People talk plenty about how lazy the art is in Mark Trail and the terrible characters who show up over and over again, but I think the thing I hate most about it are the ham-fisted attempts at creating catch-phrases.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (July 31-August 2, 2006)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Tomorrow: full Sunday spread of WIlbur "I Will Always Love You" Karaoke

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Has that dude always been drawn as a cyclops?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

i was just going to ask that. pretty sure his other eye is behind the hair cause you know, teens and their weird hair.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

howe_sam posted:

looks like it, yeah. here's his first appearance:

e: you can kinda see his eye drifting closer and closer to his nose over time, lmao

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 19, 2024

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Drimble Wedge posted:

In the spirit of :justpost:, I thought I'd add another strip to the rotation: Flo & Friends

This strip seems cute but I don't like how called out I feel by this one in particular

JethroMcB posted:

:haw:

This thread is great and I just want to thank everyone who posts comics, comments about comics, complains about comics, complains about complaining about comics, or whatever.
(edit to add a special thanks for the people translating comics which is such a generous contribution to the thread)

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (November 1, 1922)

They won't even let the dog in the basement? What the gently caress, Willie your parents suck

howe_sam posted:

I remember this exact comment when these strips were posted the first time. Donny's eye ends up so close to his nose that the art absolutley reads this way.

Prince Valiant

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 19, 2024

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Hail king Cat!!!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

yeah of course.

Kevin and Kell

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Poking through last year's thread, I noticed something interesting.

Look at the height of the row on the spinner rack where the glasses were taken from.

If it were any higher, it would have been impossible for Calvin to reach them, and therefore it would have had to be Hobbes who got them.

If they were any lower, it would have been easy for Calvin to reach them, without any need for Hobbes to be involved.

That row is just high enough that it's ambiguous whether Calvin could have reached the sunglasses himself (by, say, jumping), or whether Hobbes got the sunglasses (which would have meant Hobbes is real).

Am I overthinking this? Maybe, but "overthinking tiny details of decades-old comic strips" is why we're all here. (One day I'll post my explanation of why the best character in Peanuts is Peppermint Patty.)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

"Don't take revenge; go punch your friend in the face!"

Jesus Christ, Jules. If you're going to insist on running that catchphrase into the ground I guess we can't stop you, but at least make it make sense.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 16, 2002)

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vox Valentine posted:

yeah of course.

So this is more or less rape by deception.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Vox Valentine posted:

yeah of course.

Kevin and Kell

Par for the course . One thing that 's been evident, it's that every single interspecies relationship with a rabbit in the entire history of this comic starts with deception of some kind or another. (Kevin with Kell, George and the Original Danielle, George and the Replacement Danielle, Miranda with Edgar)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's got a one-track mind.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Am I overthinking this? Maybe, but "overthinking tiny details of decades-old comic strips" is why we're all here. (One day I'll post my explanation of why the best character in Peanuts is Peppermint Patty.)

I think it is a cool thing to note, anyways!

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Comanche

I'm looking forward to the next book of Blueberry, which has the story of by far, the most infuriatingly hateful of all the Blueberry villains in the series.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Vox Valentine posted:

"Finally, Someone I Can Marginalize Down Here!"

Vox Valentine posted:

yeah of course.

Amazing. The sheer breadth of stupidity and utter lack of self-awareness it must take to not realize that you've written a story where the rabbit ethnostate's paranoid monitoring of neighbors and the racists in old people's homes shouting about how immigrants are stealing our women are both proven 100% right.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

gently caress you, Rudy.

I'm guessing the idea is that we're supposed to think Fiona's so nice and reasonable while going "ohhh, that Rudy and his mistrustful ways again! Whatta scamp!" but neither of them come across as good people, at all.

They didn't earn the trust, they cornered the guy and forced him to spill his secret, or else. Rudy's clearly looking for someone to take out his frustrations on of being heavily scrutinized by the rabbits. And Fiona's not in need of friends, she's just always been a massive control freak who can't stand not knowing someone's innermost secrets and thoughts, and abuses her super-hearing accordingly. These two deserve each other and be stuck in a miserable marriage.

Tiggum posted:

People talk plenty about how lazy the art is in Mark Trail and the terrible characters who show up over and over again, but I think the thing I hate most about it are the ham-fisted attempts at creating catch-phrases.

You'd need to be at least on Flash Gordon or Sir Bok of the Dragonmen's level if you want to be catchphrase-worthy. NuTrail hasn't even encountered poachers or fought with a bear, or anything remotely cool.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Needs to end with the panel of Wilbur screaming

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Breadmaster posted:

Needs to end with the panel of Wilbur screaming

:hmmyes:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

rly want that astronaut Godzilla

Same

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Mr. Squishy posted:

Sentenced to the couch for insufficiently romantic thoughts.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/30/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(8/2/1994)

Ziggy

(1/3/1972)

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Learning a lot about life in Indiana, Pennsylvania from G.J.J.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/18/04

Brenda Starr 3/29/53

Smokey Stover 8/13/61

Everyday Movies 11/9/37

"I almost hate to go to bed when I think how I hate to get up in the morning."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/26/43

Closer Than We Think! 8/13/61

Bonus Story! Huh, I never knew this.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/26/43

I guess it's true what they say; draw Dick Tracy once and you'll be drawing him for the rest of your career.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Yeah, when we're not overthinking tiny details of yesterday's comics.

As for that last part...Patty has the type of faith in Charlie Brown that none of the other characters have, even Charlie Brown himself. It's usually a deeply misguided faith, because it's based on woefully bad estimations of his abilities, but everybody needs a booster.

I mean, if you were looking for a nudge. :getin:

Mutts (timg because today's theme goes a little hard)

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 22, 1977)

Crankshaft

Thimble Theater (December 22, 1940)

Popeye, with a reveal we knew was coming, but

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

This Is the Size and Quality of the Strip on GoComics. Blame Them.

Topical Event Funniez (timg'd because these Sunday Non Seq verticals are obnoxious)

Rose is Rose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot