Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Gin posted:

Paper filters trap some of the coffee oils. The oils contain a lot of the flavor. It's not make or break but there is a noticable difference with a good metal filter. And it's also 1 more thing to keep clean.

I should point out that some people prefer the taste and body given by the oils, some prefer to have them left behind and intentionally use a paper filter for that reason. I've heard coffee geeks say the oils are good and plenty say they're bad and I think the most reasonable coffee geeks will say they are just different.

I like both personally and when I'm in the mood for the oily kind (or have a kind of coffee i think it works well with) I break out my french press, otherwise I use a paper filter in a drip maker or pour over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i keep my coffee beans on the counter in a big porcelain thing with a tight (but not airtight) lid and they taste good.

imo french press is absolutely both the easiest and best way to drink coffee and you can get a perfectly good one from like target for $15

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i keep my coffee beans on the counter in a big porcelain thing with a tight (but not airtight) lid and they taste good.

imo french press is absolutely both the easiest and best way to drink coffee and you can get a perfectly good one from like target for $15

I agree with all of this, especially the French press - but can I ask why you use tight but not airtight? I've been buying a month's worth of beans and then grinding them every morning but I store them in an airtight container, am I making my coffee worse?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I had no idea what I would unleash with coffee Qs.

alnilam posted:

I should point out that some people prefer the taste and body given by the oils, some prefer to have them left behind and intentionally use a paper filter for that reason. I've heard coffee geeks say the oils are good and plenty say they're bad and I think the most reasonable coffee geeks will say they are just different.

I like both personally and when I'm in the mood for the oily kind (or have a kind of coffee i think it works well with) I break out my french press, otherwise I use a paper filter in a drip maker or pour over.

That's super interesting! My machine doesn't have a metal filter, I'll maybe see if I can find one that fits and then compare the two.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

alnilam posted:

The oils are good, but the will eventually go bad, as oils exposed to air tend to. I worked in a very hipster (roasted our beans daily, had to know how to identify region/etc. by taste) coffee shop about twenty years ago, and we'd make sure to clean the oils off everything once a week to ensure good taste. That said, there's a lot of superstition in coffee prep.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

I agree with all of this, especially the French press - but can I ask why you use tight but not airtight? I've been buying a month's worth of beans and then grinding them every morning but I store them in an airtight container, am I making my coffee worse?

no i dont mean that i specifically avoided getting an airtight container, i was just saying that a pretty tight lid is good enough, you dont really need something that hermetically seals, at least not for the relative short term. but i dont store my beans for months i refill that container every couple weeks

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Someone around here posted the equivalent to a therapist search engine a few months ago. It would let you enter your area, type of therapy you were searching for, male or female doctor, etc. I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have that info handy?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

Someone around here posted the equivalent to a therapist search engine a few months ago. It would let you enter your area, type of therapy you were searching for, male or female doctor, etc. I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have that info handy?

psychology today?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Yup. Looks like. drat that was simple. Thanks.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Earwicker posted:

no i dont mean that i specifically avoided getting an airtight container, i was just saying that a pretty tight lid is good enough, you dont really need something that hermetically seals, at least not for the relative short term. but i dont store my beans for months i refill that container every couple weeks

Got it. I just had a left over big container for like oats/flour/etc after a kitchen reorganization and it holds exactly 1lb of beans.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The oils are good, but the will eventually go bad, as oils exposed to air tend to. I worked in a very hipster (roasted our beans daily, had to know how to identify region/etc. by taste) coffee shop about twenty years ago, and we'd make sure to clean the oils off everything once a week to ensure good taste. That said, there's a lot of superstition in coffee prep.

Hm interesting. I have a couple of extremely coffee geek friends who work or have worked in fancy single origin pour-over coffee shops and they specifically recommend a paper filter for e.g. east african beans, which people like for its light body and berry-forward flavor, and the oils you get from a french press or metal filter kind of drown these out. Like they would say a yirgacheffe bean would be best made with a paper filter (but still plenty tasty from a french press)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

A roaster buddy once explained it to me that the beans off-gas after being roasted and you need to let that escape for maximum freshness. This requires a one way valve on the container though not just a non-airtight seal.

For home coffee this is almost certainly pointless because you're not going to be turning over beans fast enough for this to matter but it can make a difference for the coffee shop experience.

Also the superior coffee maker is one of those $5 Vietnamese coffee makers that last so long that they'll outlive the sun (or at least more than the 3 weeks you'll get out of a french press that breaks when your pre coffee self drops it, causing you to have broken glass all over the kitchen floor and still not caffeinated).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

those things are great but man the iced version with the condensed milk is like my kryptonite. if i have one sip of an iced vietnamese coffee my reptile brain takes over and i have no choice but to drink the entire thing in 1 second and then it just destroys my stomach. i have one like every two months.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inceltown posted:

A roaster buddy once explained it to me that the beans off-gas after being roasted and you need to let that escape for maximum freshness. This requires a one way valve on the container though not just a non-airtight seal.

For home coffee this is almost certainly pointless because you're not going to be turning over beans fast enough for this to matter but it can make a difference for the coffee shop experience.

Also the superior coffee maker is one of those $5 Vietnamese coffee makers that last so long that they'll outlive the sun (or at least more than the 3 weeks you'll get out of a french press that breaks when your pre coffee self drops it, causing you to have broken glass all over the kitchen floor and still not caffeinated).

Or get a metal French press. :ssh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What's the easiest (and ideally cheap/free) way to find what font was used in a picture/drawing?

I get that I may never find a true 1 to1 match, especially since it could be one that's sort of "made up" for the property in question, but I would like to get pretty close.

I tried a couple online "font detector" webpages, but those did God-awful jobs, but I also suspect it may be because the source image quality wasn't good, so I have to try and get the best quality of that I can, which...might be tricky. I don't know if I can get a higher quality, so maybe I just have to take the picture to the CC forum and find some goons with encyclopedic font knowledge?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's the easiest (and ideally cheap/free) way to find what font was used in a picture/drawing?

I get that I may never find a true 1 to1 match, especially since it could be one that's sort of "made up" for the property in question, but I would like to get pretty close.

I tried a couple online "font detector" webpages, but those did God-awful jobs, but I also suspect it may be because the source image quality wasn't good, so I have to try and get the best quality of that I can, which...might be tricky. I don't know if I can get a higher quality, so maybe I just have to take the picture to the CC forum and find some goons with encyclopedic font knowledge?

whatthefont.com

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DrBouvenstein posted:

maybe I just have to take the picture to the CC forum and find some goons with encyclopedic font knowledge?
fonts itt

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I keep my coffee in a big jar with my wife.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuyop posted:

I keep my coffee in a big jar with my wife.

let her out!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Grassy Knowles posted:

whatthefont.com
Yeah I tried that but didn't get great answers earlier, the quality is..not great. At least not for an automated font detector.

I tried again now with the best version I could get and I think MAYBE I have the font it is, but it also says it's like a $40 font, so...

Maybe I'll pop in here and see if that is the right font, or if there's a better/closer one that also isn't $40 (I looked and I have a similar font installed on my system already, but it's not similar ENOUGH.)

V V V Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I don't need a perfect match, just close enough. So far the closest one is the $40 one, but I bet if I looked I might find it cheaper someone else, or maybe it's included with the fonts you get with Adobe CC? V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 23, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

From occasionally reading the font thread, I've also learned that sometimes people modify fonts slightly to suit their needs, especially in a logo or image where a lot of effort was put into the design. So there might not be an exact match from an off the shelf font.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Do all Discord transactions list San Francisco? I have an unrecognized charge from on one of my accounts, and it has San Francisco listed in the charge but almost no other info.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does anything still use / care about covid vaccine cards?
I put my wallet through the laundry machine accidentally and the (paper) card got wet. it's dried now but it's kinda hosed up in the way that paper which gets wet and then dries always is. anyways now that I've actually looked at it for the first time in a year or so I've gotten to wondering whether I should still carry it around with me

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
"first time in a year" I think you answered your own question

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea the last time anyone asked me for proof of vaccination was like january of 2022. i didnt even update my card when i got the last booster bc i didnt remember where it was.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

For what it's worth, I brought my card when I got my updated booster last month and the technician didn't even want to look at it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, when I got my booster, I said "oh dangit, I forgot my vaccine card!", and the nurse said "that's fine, we're not doing them anyway."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I asked them to sign my card for my most recent booster but I doubt that I'll ever use it.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Late to coffee chat, but if you don't have a French press an Aeropress is maybe a little bit nicer, and pretty cheap.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does anything still use / care about covid vaccine cards?
NYTimes had an article on this earlier this month.

quote:

Once a Ticket to Travel and to Socialize, Paper Covid-19 Cards Are Going Away

The C.D.C. has stopped distributing the 3-by-4-inch cards, a mainstay of American wallets in the earlier days of the pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/05/...ce=articleShare

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is ball lightning a real thing or a myth? I remember learning about it as a kid and it seemed like the coolest thing ever. I guess there’d be some footage of it if it actually existed though, right?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dupersaurus posted:

Stealth aircraft aren’t radar invisible, they just don’t appear as strongly so they can get a little closer before being detected

Edit: ex: SAM sites would be placed with overlapping ranges so there aren’t holes for non-stealth aircraft, but a stealth aircraft would decrease the effective ranges of each site, opening up a hole between the sites to sneak through.

Oh that makes sense. Thanks!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RCarr posted:

Is ball lightning a real thing or a myth? I remember learning about it as a kid and it seemed like the coolest thing ever. I guess there’d be some footage of it if it actually existed though, right?

https://www.britannica.com/story/do...tremely%20rare.

Edit chopped up my first paragraph phone posting:

This link goes into the doubts and weirdness of it. There are lots of reports of it doing unlikely things, but it can be observed in certain circumstances. Basically, it exists, it's just not that common and atypically filmed. You can find some shots on youtube but it's electricity being weird so it often doesn't last long. Here's a video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jwCDxCmW5pg&pp=ygUTI2JyaXNiYW5lbGlnaHRpbmluZw%3D%3D

I also thought it was cool when I was in my preteen ufo and weird weather phase.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 24, 2023

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is it possible to emulate Qi Gon Jins hair without extensions/wigs?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Is it possible to emulate Qi Gon Jins hair without extensions/wigs?

For you, no, but I could. It's just long with only the front part tied back without a parting as far as I can tell.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

BonHair posted:

For you, no, but I could. It's just long with only the front part tied back without a parting as far as I can tell.

Why are you assuming I don't have long hair?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Why are you assuming I don't have long hair?

I was assuming you are going bald specifically, but mostly just to be an rear end. Also from the fact that you didn't just try.

You might need to have thick hair, I'm pretty confident my wife could never pull out off for example.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BonHair posted:

I was assuming you are going bald specifically, but mostly just to be an rear end. Also from the fact that you didn't just try.

You might need to have thick hair, I'm pretty confident my wife could never pull out off for example.

I thought it was a username joke

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

Is there a thread for giving advice on what language to learn? I've been wanting to for years but can't seem to decide what would benefit me/be fun to study the most.

I know a little Spanish, a lot of Serbian (family from there, so I can read Cyrillic) and some Swedish because of a Moomin themed hyperfixation. I'm in Cyber Security so I'm kinda leaning towards Russian since I can already read Cyrillic and it'd be nice for my job, but idk. Just looking for input. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

SAL has a general discussion thread, it's a subforum of Ask/Tell.