Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is C1 Remastered still a mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/CSoftproducts/status/1399775995117330434?s=20

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Volte posted:

I remember that, it looked goddamn awful. The site is still up on the Web Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20061108052322/http://www.quake10year.com/

:whitewater:

what the gently caress lmao, I remember thinking this was amazing in 2006, ahahahaha

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Mandalore's Necromunda: Hired Gun review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOt6Nl1K5xU

They fixed the Bolter sound for the retail game lol.

I just booted this up and saw Kal Jerico and I'm happy

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

every time i try to play project warlock i lose interest during the ancient egypt episode. normally ancient egypt is my favourite setting, but having it be entirely inside brick tombs isnt fun

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Volte posted:

I remember that, it looked goddamn awful. The site is still up on the Web Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20061108052322/http://www.quake10year.com/

:lol:

That Ogre puts it over even those Doom remakes in Unreal Engine that look like fake games

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

david_a posted:

:lol:

That Ogre puts it over even those Doom remakes in Unreal Engine that look like fake games

lol he looks like he's doing the Charlie Brown sad walk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

lol he looks like he's doing the Charlie Brown sad walk

Hello darkness my old friend...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Kins posted:

Speaking of old FPSes and tons of graphical greeblies, this just got announced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0csk7IdJw

Crysis 1 Remastered came out in September, the other two will be landing this fall, both seperately and in a bundle package.
Where's Warhead?!

Volte posted:

Give us graphics card box art quake!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'd like to try Arcane Dimensions. Is regular Quakespasm fine or am I going to want the Spiked fork? If I do want spiked, I'm curious what exactly it adds to the mix? Unlocked fps and particle effects?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kazvall posted:

I'd like to try Arcane Dimensions. Is regular Quakespasm fine or am I going to want the Spiked fork? If I do want spiked, I'm curious what exactly it adds to the mix? Unlocked fps and particle effects?

Feature list for Spiked is here

I know I downloaded it because something required it, but I can't remember if that was AD or Dwell or something else. More likely Dwell, since it's newer? Though Spiked does call out AD specifically on that page (something to do with MP support and buffers).

Just get Spiked. As far as I know it's just Quakespasm++.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHlJOMjon4Y

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Kins posted:

divine light... restored?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

The Marathon games have a legendarily low FOV, likely due to them only rendering to part of the screen back on the Mac. On modern platforms where they run in fullscreen it's a massive nausea inducer. Marathon XBLA ended up patching in a classic/modern FOV toggle, while last I checked, Aleph One still insists that you write a script to manually alter the FOV setting because gently caress you specifically.

https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1399453030286774273

Does Aleph One still make you quit the game to enter the options menu

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Feature list for Spiked is here

I know I downloaded it because something required it, but I can't remember if that was AD or Dwell or something else. More likely Dwell, since it's newer? Though Spiked does call out AD specifically on that page (something to do with MP support and buffers).

Just get Spiked. As far as I know it's just Quakespasm++.

Forgotten Sepulcher was added to AD after release and needed Spiked

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fallom posted:

Does Aleph One still make you quit the game to enter the options menu

Yes, because vanilla did

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CrueltySquadBot/status/1398484651593932802

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Kazvall posted:

FWIW, my decision tree for choosing a singleplayer Quake engine is like this...

Getting the "specialty" stuff out of the way first:
  • If you are going to be using a mod that REQUIRES Darkplaces, then use Darkplaces. Otherwise probably not.
  • FTE can be fun to mess around with due to its Swiss-Army-Knife nature, but for the same reasons has all sorts of little issues you may have to fight. It's kind of the Linux of Quake engines. :-) You'll already know if you are going to be fine messing around with FTE; if you don't know, it's probably not the right choice.
  • Qbism Super8 is fun to play around with if you want to explore the software-rendering aesthetic.

For the "daily driver" though, you probably want a Fitzquake descendant:
  • Mark V has some nice QoL features and a cool software-renderer version. It hasn't been maintained though and can't run some of the newest stuff.
  • Quakespasm is the reference standard for modern SP releases. Pretty much everything works there and looks correct (for GLQuake-style). However it lacks the added features of the next two Quakespasm-derivatives:
  • Quakespasm-Spiked (QSS) has several features ported from FTE. Major relevant ones: supports fancy particles and custom HUDs if the mod takes advantage of it (like Arcane Dimensions does); allows raising the framerate cap without breaking physics. Also auto-detects whether a map has not been compiled to use transparent water, so that if you have transparency settings in your config the water rendering on old maps doesn't go glitchy.
  • vkQuake uses a Vulkan renderer -- so your GPU does need to be not-ancient. It has a nice software-renderer-style water-warp effect (unlike pretty much all the other GLQuake-descended engines), and like QSS it allows raising the framerate cap without breaking physics. It's from an id software guy so that gets it some cool points?

For Arcane Dimensions I'd say yeah, try Quakespasm-Spiked. If you don't like the particle effects then there are ways to dial them back or disable them (see the quake.rc file in the AD mod folder).

If QSS just ends up not working for you for some reason, then vkQuake if your GPU is OK with that. If not QSS or vkQuake, then Quakespasm.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1399786990841696259
:shepspends:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like they finally hired some fans

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just let quakestarter set everything up and install arcane dimensions for me. works great. it uses qs-spiked for what it’s worth

https://neogeographica.com/site/pages/tools/quakestarter.html

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/FPSCarol/status/1399921829813186564

Need to kickstarter to get the original voice actors to come back just to say these lines.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

In my adventure with the Super Analogue + Everdrive, I've discovered there's about 100 or so SNES games that have special chips in them that aren't really compatible with the Everdrive.

Most of the games I don't care about but one of those is Doom for SNES.

Now I've heard about how bad this game is but I don't know, how bad could it really be?

Dear lord it is really bad.

D-Pad for the control just feels weird, and I grew up playing DOS Doom with a keyboard. And Doom Guy sometimes just seems to get stuck in places.

Buttons feel really not responsive. I swear sometimes I am firing and nothing happens. I push foward and Doom Guy just stays in place.

It seems to make up for the lack of movement, they've made weapon accuracy a lot. The shotgun is even more of a sniper rifle in this game than it normally is. But it has also made all the other firearm wielding zombies into sharpshooters!

And the "always facing you" actually can really be taken advantage of. If you can just barely see a monster's arm around a corner, you can pretty much snipe them before they even have a chance at you.

I mean yeah it is still DOOM and hey, red cart. This system had no business running Doom but I guess it technically does.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It definitely isn’t playable today but it was a great port to have back then as someone that didn’t have a computer in their house. It was how I played it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 2, 2021

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, getting Doom to work on the SNES was a minor miracle. And it at least plays better than Duke 3d on PSX, with so much constant slowdown that the framerate hovers in the single digits.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

JLaw posted:

FWIW, my decision tree for choosing a singleplayer Quake engine is like this...

Getting the "specialty" stuff out of the way first:
  • If you are going to be using a mod that REQUIRES Darkplaces, then use Darkplaces. Otherwise probably not.
  • FTE can be fun to mess around with due to its Swiss-Army-Knife nature, but for the same reasons has all sorts of little issues you may have to fight. It's kind of the Linux of Quake engines. :-) You'll already know if you are going to be fine messing around with FTE; if you don't know, it's probably not the right choice.
  • Qbism Super8 is fun to play around with if you want to explore the software-rendering aesthetic.

For the "daily driver" though, you probably want a Fitzquake descendant:
  • Mark V has some nice QoL features and a cool software-renderer version. It hasn't been maintained though and can't run some of the newest stuff.
  • Quakespasm is the reference standard for modern SP releases. Pretty much everything works there and looks correct (for GLQuake-style). However it lacks the added features of the next two Quakespasm-derivatives:
  • Quakespasm-Spiked (QSS) has several features ported from FTE. Major relevant ones: supports fancy particles and custom HUDs if the mod takes advantage of it (like Arcane Dimensions does); allows raising the framerate cap without breaking physics. Also auto-detects whether a map has not been compiled to use transparent water, so that if you have transparency settings in your config the water rendering on old maps doesn't go glitchy.
  • vkQuake uses a Vulkan renderer -- so your GPU does need to be not-ancient. It has a nice software-renderer-style water-warp effect (unlike pretty much all the other GLQuake-descended engines), and like QSS it allows raising the framerate cap without breaking physics. It's from an id software guy so that gets it some cool points?

For Arcane Dimensions I'd say yeah, try Quakespasm-Spiked. If you don't like the particle effects then there are ways to dial them back or disable them (see the quake.rc file in the AD mod folder).

If QSS just ends up not working for you for some reason, then vkQuake if your GPU is OK with that. If not QSS or vkQuake, then Quakespasm.

Ok, cool. I suppose I should ask, as well, is multiplayer/quakeworld as active as the q2 tastyspleen servers? It might be fun to do some casual deathmatch, but I have a funny feeling there will be like one active team fortress server.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
There are active servers but I'm not really up on them. It seems like the way to get into games these days is to be on various Discord servers that run periodic events, do pickup games, etc. Quake.World, US QuakeWorld, US Doom & Quake Community, In the Keep, probably others... certainly there are at least one or two Team Fortress discords that I've seen advertised.

e: some links/info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/quake/wiki/quake/multiplayer

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Kazvall posted:

Ok, cool. I suppose I should ask, as well, is multiplayer/quakeworld as active as the q2 tastyspleen servers? It might be fun to do some casual deathmatch, but I have a funny feeling there will be like one active team fortress server.

I’m in a fairly active QWTF discord group that plays nightly on US times. I think there’s a European and Aussie groups as well I could patch you into.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Welp, bring on more source ports, I suppose. Are you using nquake or will I want fte instead? Thanks for all the clarification, guys.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0csk7IdJw

Crysis 1 Remastered came out in September, the other two will be landing this fall, both seperately and in a bundle package.

Betting on Optimized for Next gen means made graphically worse.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
You're....huge.

That means....you MUST have....huge....guts.

https://twitter.com/ABrut_us/status/1400424602736775168

Weedle
May 31, 2006

to... win the game... you must... kill... me............ william shatner

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Star Trek ii: wrath of khan battle royale when

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
You don't find the BFG, you construct it over the course of the map. Look around you, can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Well, I bought Red Faction 2 because it was on sale and I haven't played it for a long time. It's merely okay, I seem to recall it was a disappointment for most people at the time and that's not terribly surprising.

Good things:

- It's a post-Halo FPS playing on a console that actually allows you to carry your entire arsenal. The means for selecting it is actually not half bad either, radial selections hadn't quite been figured out yet (I think) but it uses a scrolling menu that works fairly quickly. It feels pretty old but it's perfectly serviceable.

- The game gives you a grenade launcher at the start and it can really just carry you through most of the game.

- It has mech suit sections that are actually pretty fun. It feels like it has a lot of weight and you feel super powerful when you use it.

- Weapon variety is pretty good for what it is. Doesn't go too crazy but it's decent, really only shines in the late game though (more on that below).

- Health system is a hybrid between pickups and regenerating health. You carry health packs that get used instantly when your health bar runs out, but the bar itself regenerates if you don't get hit for long enough. It works pretty well, probably not a great fit for a multiplayer game but it works great in the campaign.

- Guy yelling about the Red Faction and THE GLORY OF THE COMMONWEALTH in the main menu is iconic.

Bad things:

- Extremely of-its-time features like endless vehicle sections that feel like poo poo (aside from the aforementioned mech suit). Notably follows the Nightfire trend of the time of having an absolutely dreadful submarine level (though it's no where near as trial-and-error bullshit as in Nightfire).

- Geomod is barely used at all. Like ever, in each level you might get some set piece area where it comes up but that's about it. The further in the game you get the less it comes up, with the biggest gently caress you being that it is used predominantly in the final boss fight, but only to make your life worse.

- Sewer level pretty early on and it's filled with tiny enemies that run up to you and explode. Woof.

- The last boss fight is terrible. No space to move, limited resources, a friendly gunship spinning around the map that can easily hit you if you're too close to the boss, and a second phase of the boss where his railgun kills you in one shot through cover (haven't actually beaten this bit yet and genuinely not sure if I can). Maybe I'm missing something, but if I'm not it's definitely one of the worst boss fights on an older FPS that I have ever played.

- Despite the weapon variety, the earlier stuff is pretty much useless from the word go (probably because you get a grenade launcher all game) and it's only in the later parts of the game that you get guns that can match the all-rounder power of the grenade launcher. The semi-auto sniper in particular is amazing (has big RTCW FG-42 energy) but you get it so late that you get like 30 minutes of use of it.

- Overall gunfeel is kind of iffy, but then I am playing the PS2 port on a PS4 and I think this is just how a lot of PS2 FPS games felt back then. There's serious whiplash in the feel if you try to play something like Titanfall 2 and then go back to Red Faction 2.

- Story is firmly Not Good and has both Lance Henriksen and Jason Statham but they both really phone it in. Some of the other voice acting is pretty awful too, I have no idea what's going on with Tangier, some of her deliveries sound like first takes.

- Shotgun is rear end. Does crap damage, is slow in general and there is pretty much no reason to use it over nearly anything else. Big thumbs down for that.

I don't think I'd actually recommend the game overall, but it's kind of interesting. It feels a lot like other shooters from that era, with both the good and bad that entails. Probably the worst game in the Saints Row franchise

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 4, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Repta Plus was the funniest boss name to me when the game came out

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Repta+ was a real bastard. Wouldn't have been so bad if he wasn't flanked by those red demon men the whole time. The game sounds a lot cooler when typed out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHm2d3wf8EU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Geomod was cool and most games have done little or nothing with destructible terrain to the present day. Like the biggest destructible terrain games are now survival crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Minecraft is a retro fps. You can tell because you have nine weapon slots.