Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rabidsquid posted:

back when all there was to play was the bouncer, ring of red, and i cant remember the third game

Shadow of Memories/Destiny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mastershakeman posted:

How can someone hate Tetris, it's the actual perfect game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sf2V2Raqtc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
By not liking puzzle games and preferring games involving actual characters, I guess. I just don’t see any entertainment value in fitting squares together.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

By not liking puzzle games and preferring games involving actual characters, I guess. I just don’t see any entertainment value in fitting squares together.

You must achieve a flow state

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the semi-comeback of FMV games has been by far the most perplexing game trend recently

That need for speed game with the first person fmv story was weird as hell

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I had 15 minutes of fun on a friends gameboy playing Tetris in 1992/1993 and i wouldn't have thought about it again outside of the internets influence. Its a cool game but there's not much there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

To me, puzzle games, racing/sports games, and adventure games serve very different purposes. Fifteen minutes just mindlessly making boxes disappear or trying not to crash my Oldsmobile into literally everything after work requires enough concentration to take my mind completely off work things.

Adventure games are for fun.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Lumines a lot but it's become a problem that a single "run" of it now takes like 90 minutes for me because Lumines is actually not difficult

the ideal "short" game for me is arcade golf like Everybody's Golf or Neo Turf Masters

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like Lumines a lot but it's become a problem that a single "run" of it now takes like 90 minutes for me because Lumines is actually not difficult

:negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the semi-comeback of FMV games has been by far the most perplexing game trend recently

My guess is the Night Trap remaster is to blame.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
none of them are good except Contradiction! Spot the Liar which is better than RDR2

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I feel like this image really captures the spirit of Spyro 2.

Also, Spyro and I had very similar reactions to this:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Does anyone have an opinion on Onrush?
If so, how active is the player base? The concept sounds intriguing, and 20 bucks is the point where it may e worth a flier if it isn't dead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dear Spider-Man, if you're gonna steal Batman's combat don't change the dodge button, TIA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

Dear Spider-Man, if you're gonna steal Batman's combat don't change the dodge button, TIA

I had the same problem going from MGSV’s dive to HZD’s dodge

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Dear Nioh, if you're gonna steal Dark Soul's combat don't change the attack button, TIA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started the second chapter of the Spidey DLC earlier and I don’t dislike the combat like some others here so but the combat sections are way too loving long sometimes. Literally the first 15 minutes of the chapter was fighting like 5 waves and then 2 more smaller waves of enemies

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I had the same problem going from MGSV’s dive to HZD’s dodge

I was playing both of these at the same time alternating each one every other day. I died a lot because of it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Escobarbarian posted:

Started the second chapter of the Spidey DLC earlier and I don’t dislike the combat like some others here so but the combat sections are way too loving long sometimes. Literally the first 15 minutes of the chapter was fighting like 5 waves and then 2 more smaller waves of enemies

It does not help that the activity for this dlc is taking down crime bases, which all have 5 waves of enemies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
if those bases include the loving brutes with miniguns or these dudes with sable jetpacks I am not going to have a good time with that

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

mastershakeman posted:

How can someone hate Tetris, it's the actual perfect game

This.

I'm hoping it means I can put the original NES and all the gubbins to get it looking good on my TV away for a while, if Effect is good.
The holding pieces for later mechanic is BS though, hopefully you can disable it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Nioh stance system and swapping made it easier to have the buttons on that vertical plan from low to high. I liked it better than souls.

Also it literally had dark souls style in there as control scheme B.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Nioh stance system and swapping made it easier to have the buttons on that vertical plan from low to high. I liked it better than souls.

Also it literally had dark souls style in there as control scheme B.

But then the dodge button is different as far as I remember. I don't think it has a 1:1 copy

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I don't thinking's they've said yet but the previous expac Stormblood came bundled with Heavensward so you should be fine.

Oh, I didn't know this! Thank you, this'll save me like $15!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ineffiable posted:

It does not help that the activity for this dlc is taking down crime bases, which all have 5 waves of enemies.

Am I the only one that loves the base missions? They’re so hectic and full of really good quips. v:shobon:v

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

But then the dodge button is different as far as I remember. I don't think it has a 1:1 copy

Oh weird. I never tried it, but thought it was the DS controls here you go. What's even weirder was Lord of the Fallen/Surge changing the dodge button. Like that's an explicit clone that changed a thing for reasons?!?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't like Tetris. In general I don't like any of those real time puzzle type games. Idk what the word is for that genre but it does nothing for me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Escobarbarian posted:

if those bases include the loving brutes with miniguns or these dudes with sable jetpacks I am not going to have a good time with that

They do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fix posted:

To add in agreement with this:

Don't try to push through VR sickness. Just take a break and re-orient yourself. You'll grow more accustomed to it in time. Learn to recognize when you are about to push too far because if you overdo it, it can take you much longer to recover than if you get out when things start to get rough.

Dramamine does work, but ginseng can, too if you want to go the more natural candy route.

Some games have bad implementation and will just never work for you, no matter how used to it you get. It's still an emerging field and especially with the earlier titles, devs used us as guinea pigs out of necessity. Some games never really got fixes. (RIGS among them)

Thanks for the advice. I actually carry dramamine on my person at all times since I have benign positional vertigo (making my purchase of a VR set well thought-out) but I'm avoiding medicating myself just to game. Want to see what I can get acclimated to first

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

avoiding medicating myself just to game.

:420:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m happy with my choice to sleep on the Spider-Man DLC since it sounds like both episodes have been short and lackluster. If I buy them all at once in December it’ll feel like a much bigger chunk of content.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it clearly should have just been one thing, there was no reason to split it

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have big old turbonerd glasses, does the PSVR headset have room for them or am I hosed?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

BigHandsVince posted:

This.

I'm hoping it means I can put the original NES and all the gubbins to get it looking good on my TV away for a while, if Effect is good.
The holding pieces for later mechanic is BS though, hopefully you can disable it.
You can. Or you can just, you know, not use it if you're tryna be hardcore

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Montalvo posted:

I have big old turbonerd glasses, does the PSVR headset have room for them or am I hosed?

At first I was having issues with light leaks but the headset is actually pretty customizable and I was able to find a position that minimized the issue. There's definitely room inside for glasses

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There is room for glasses for sure but it isn’t always super comfy for me. I might get some custom prescription lenses for it one day.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I don’t mean this smug, but I don’t get motion sickness at all. Like at an amusement park my friend and I were the only ones on the Rotor (just a big spinning cylinder that sticks you to the inside wall and the bottom drops out) for literally 40 minutes because the guy said he’d keep it going until someone else showed up and that’s how long it took. I didn’t get sick or even feel queasy.

So what is it about VR in particular that makes people motion sick? I’m just curious since I don’t get it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The basic premise for most motion sickness is that you have a sense of how your body is positioned in space (proprioception) which is mainly sensed by crystals in your inner ear. For people with motion sickness, rides like the Rotor shake up those crystals and confuse the body so nausea results.

It's the same with VR, if the visual information your eyes are taking in conflicts with what the inner ear is telling you, that conflict can make people sick. I have it pretty bad and cannot even read in a moving car because staring at a static page while moving is enough to affect me

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The basic premise for most motion sickness is that you have a sense of how your body is positioned in space (proprioception) which is mainly sensed by crystals in your inner ear. For people with motion sickness, rides like the Rotor shake up those crystals and confuse the body so nausea results.

It's the same with VR, if the visual information your eyes are taking in conflicts with what the inner ear is telling you, that conflict can make people sick. I have it pretty bad and cannot even read in a moving car because staring at a static page while moving is enough to affect me

I had a glitch in Skyrim VR where all head movements reversed and its been the only time a video game has made me nauseous. Its nice to know what caused it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That sucks, do you ever get motion sickness from a fast moving fps or racing games?