Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like a tamagotchi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Like a tamagotchi?

Pretty much but I'm thinking about it more in the terms of a "game" - like you would buy it on Steam and launch it on your computer as opposed to being a standalone piece of cheap electronics.

The Ramp is a good example of the kind of thing I'm thinking about, but despite its Overwhelmingly Positive reviews it only sold like 30k copies. It's just purely this little skateboard sim toy, there are no scores or points or objectives or anything, the entire point is "just relax and have fun for a few mins"
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256845134/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628006398

I guess a Tamogotchi is much closer to the GaaS model though (it has dailies)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 2, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

What I hate about it all is that as the GaaS addiction games have grown in popularity, it has become increasingly difficult for developers to be successful with actual well-made games. An explicit point of the GaaS games is to steal players' time away from other games so that they're more likely to spend money on your game ("engagement").

I still think there's a huge potential market for "digital toys" that can give you a regular dopamine drip without attaching itself to time-devouring videogame mechanics, but I'm not sure what exactly a successful one would look like.

This was already invented, in the 90s my parents installed some kind of desktop fidget app and it loving ruled using a chainsaw on my Windows 95 desktop icons

Vakal
May 11, 2008
That's all we need, a new Bonzai Buddy.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I liked the one where the sheep would wander around and climb up on your windows.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Dogz or gtfo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beartaco posted:

I liked the one where the sheep would wander around and climb up on your windows.

Yea I bet you did

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
There isn't a single metroidvania that wouldn't be improved drastically by being entirely linear in its map progression. Get rid of backtracking entirely, still retain an ever increasing number of movement and combat options, that's fine, but the slew of backtracking and pixel hunting is just tedious.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

There isn't a single metroidvania that wouldn't be improved drastically by being entirely linear in its map progression. Get rid of backtracking entirely, still retain an ever increasing number of movement and combat options, that's fine, but the slew of backtracking and pixel hunting is just tedious.

No, because the core distilled essence of a metroidvania is seeing a Red Door in the first five minutes of gameplay, and getting the Red Door Opener 8 hours later

Without that specific mechanism its just an action game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Backtracking kicks rear end because it lets the player learn and master an environment and that's cool

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It's about exploring and learning a space more than the actual mechanics.

It's why platformers didn't get good until the N64. They're all about poking about these crafted worlds and finding new things rather than moving left to right, doing a series of jumping challenges.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Beartaco posted:

It's why platformers didn't get good until the N64.

:allears:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Pitfall 2 was alright

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: In a similar vein, the Jedi Survivor sub is almost entirely "I cant beat Certain Boss Spawn of Oggdo" and everyone says "just turn the game difficulty down because it doesnt matter" and it seems to break a lot of brains. Its a single player game where you can turn the difficulty up or down, instantly, without any repercussions, but people want their Cheevos I guess

There's nothing wrong with wanting to overcome a challenge, I personally feel more gratified overcoming something difficult over something just meeting my skill level and getting past it, or just being trivial.

But you gotta know when something is just out of your grasp or the time/commitment you're willing to expend on one thing, and how much satisfaction it will bring. If you're at the point of complaining online, like, either you get it next try or you admit they got ya, gave it your best shot, and just make things easier on yourself and soldier on marginally humbled by tricky software.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vakal posted:

That's all we need, a new Bonzai Buddy.

Honestly I'd let those intrusive Alexas and Siris into my life if they were more bonzi buddy like.

Desktop widgets and games are still something I can believe in. Also waiting for proper animated backgrounds w/o needing some special program. There should be a bonzi buddy on my phone right now helping me.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to overcome a challenge, I personally feel more gratified overcoming something difficult over something just meeting my skill level and getting past it, or just being trivial.

But you gotta know when something is just out of your grasp or the time/commitment you're willing to expend on one thing, and how much satisfaction it will bring. If you're at the point of complaining online, like, either you get it next try or you admit they got ya, gave it your best shot, and just make things easier on yourself and soldier on marginally humbled by tricky software.

:same: I have done some pretty dumb stuff to get the personal satisfaction of beating a challenge. Personally I think every single player game should be like Jedi Survivor - turn the difficulty up or down, whatever, its a single player game. Its literally for solipsistic enjoyment. I think its weird when people chase cheevos trying to light up the same part of their brain as a slot machine, and also I think its a :lol: that people are doing that on a lovely combat system such as Jedi Outcast/Survivor

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

Desktop widgets and games are still something I can believe in. Also waiting for proper animated backgrounds w/o needing some special program. There should be a bonzi buddy on my phone right now helping me.

Bring back all the weird 90s desktop animation things. Its 2023 my UI should be some insane flashing complicated thing with tons of greeblies

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

:same: I have done some pretty dumb stuff to get the personal satisfaction of beating a challenge. Personally I think every single player game should be like Jedi Survivor - turn the difficulty up or down, whatever, its a single player game. Its literally for solipsistic enjoyment. I think its weird when people chase cheevos trying to light up the same part of their brain as a slot machine, and also I think its a :lol: that people are doing that on a lovely combat system such as Jedi Outcast/Survivor

I think the better explanation is a lot of very online complainers are very bad at video games, but they imagine themselves to be very good, and the dissonance both wrecks their self esteem and leads to a complete lack of self reflection

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
streaming is cool, people need some dumb entertainment to watch in their lives so why the heck not eh? its no different to folk worshiping movie or sports stars

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hades is a game for people who write erotic fanfiction about video game characters

Truth

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jedi Survivor is pretty easy/boring. The only difficult part is this one badly designed giant frog boss.

Vampire Panties posted:

No, because the core distilled essence of a metroidvania is seeing a Red Door in the first five minutes of gameplay, and getting the Red Door Opener 8 hours later

Without that specific mechanism its just an action game.

The number of games that actually do it well is pretty small. Most of the time you're just walking past the red door because you haven't picked up the red key yet, and then eight hours later you find the red key and come back to pick up your +5 missiles. The good ones actually make you feel like your ability to explore the world has been significantly expanded and reward you with interesting content. I guess that's a lot more difficult/resource intensive.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 2, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

streaming is cool, people need some dumb entertainment to watch in their lives so why the heck not eh? its no different to folk worshiping movie or sports stars

3 things being equally lame doesn't mean we can't make fun of them. Tearing down things you aren't personally interested in is one of the most important things you can do.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: In a similar vein, the Jedi Survivor sub is almost entirely "I cant beat Certain Boss Spawn of Oggdo" and everyone says "just turn the game difficulty down because it doesnt matter" and it seems to break a lot of brains. Its a single player game where you can turn the difficulty up or down, instantly, without any repercussions, but people want their Cheevos I guess

people get like this in discussions of Souls games, which of course don't have a "difficulty setting" but there are plenty of hard bosses you can beat by cheesing them in some specific way, and there are just reams and reams of tedious hand-wringing about the acceptability of this

imo if the game allows you to do something, whether thats changing a setting or cheesing a boss, its fair play.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

The Moon Monster posted:

Jedi Survivor is pretty easy/boring. The only difficult part is this one badly designed giant frog boss.

The number of games that actually do it well is pretty small. Most of the time you're just walking past the red door because you haven't picked up the red key yet, and then eight hours later you find the red key and come back to pick up your +5 missiles. The good ones actually make you feel like your ability to explore the world has been significantly expanded and reward you with interesting content. I guess that's a lot more difficult/resource intensive.

The formula works best when the abilities that open paths also change how you move through the game, so that on a revisit that same old terrain opens up to you differently with your new movement.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I directionally agree that it's the same as worshipping other celebrities, but Streaming does differentiate itself enough to be "worse" imo.

Streamers pump out way more content and engage people for much longer periods of time. You see star athletes during the games they play in and then when they're doing interviews with the press, if they're controversial maybe they pop up in news headlines occasionally. A movie star has their screentime in the movies they're in, and any interviews/headlines they show up in. In the vast majority of these cases they are not interacting directly with the fans.

You'll almost never see a popular streamer just playing a game without interacting with the audience, because those streamers only become popular if they are so phenomenally good at the game that their gameplay leaves people in awe. They also spend like 4+ hours per day streaming, 5 days a week. So that's 20 hours every week that a fan can spend "interacting" with the Streamer (in quotes because the fans don't get to do much interacting themselves, it's all about the streamer), and that's just one streamer on a platform with millions of other streamers to watch when their favorite streamer is offline.

The content is more engaging (it offers a thin veil of interaction) and it engages people for more hours per week so there's more likelihood for fans to get extreme about their fandom, because there's enough engaging content for them to spend the majority of all of their time there.

None of that is really a videogame problem though, it applies to all other kind of streamers and most internet-based content creators, and it's really the same problem that plagues f2p battlepass GaaS games and etc. That's just silicon valley these days

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Earwicker posted:

people get like this in discussions of Souls games, which of course don't have a "difficulty setting" but there are plenty of hard bosses you can beat by cheesing them in some specific way, and there are just reams and reams of tedious hand-wringing about the acceptability of this

imo if the game allows you to do something, whether thats changing a setting or cheesing a boss, its fair play.

depends on whether you view boss fights as a fun thing an and of themselves or just an obstacle on your way to get the next story cutscene
in which case you should probably just play a bad genre like jrpg instead

not that skipping parts of a game you dont think are fun is a bad idea, but if such large portions of a game are unfun to you you might want a different game

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 2, 2023

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
4x strategy game, but with metaprogression

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ocean Book posted:

I honestly believe you could make a card-based MOO2 roguelike with meta progression and it would be a fantastic game.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Ocean Book posted:

I could dig it, start with something like the board game Small World where you control a civilization and at some point mechanically it's better to restart as a new civilization rather than keep going with your current one. On top of that, add something like you get some bonus based on what you were able to do with your civilization before restarting.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Paper Tiger posted:

I could dig it, start with something like the board game Small World where you control a civilization and at some point mechanically it's better to restart as a new civilization rather than keep going with your current one. On top of that, add something like you get some bonus based on what you were able to do with your civilization before restarting.

You send your army into a wormhole and fight a timeless Boss, and the meta progression is whatever survives the wormhole.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ocean Book posted:

4x strategy games already have metaprogression! the more games you play, the more you learn about how the AI weights its actions, and you can use this knowledge to herd it adeptly toward advancing your agenda in future games

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

it’s only metaprogression if a number goes up :|

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

5x strategy game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

eXplore
eXpand
eXploit
eXterminate
mtX

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 4, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
tbh i'm more about 3x games these days. nekopara. sakura fantasy. magic sword for kamonegi-gou. and so on

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Fur20 posted:

tbh i'm more about 3x games these days. nekopara. sakura fantasy. magic sword for kamonegi-gou. and so on

those are made up games, right? They don't sound real. They certainly don't sound like they should be played.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Fur20 posted:

drat it you got me I googled these and now they're in my search history

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ocean Book posted:

bad news, it's already happening, see age of wonders 4

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Panzeh posted:

bad news, it's already happening, see age of wonders 4

Utoh that's on my wishlist, what does it do wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Serephina posted:

Utoh that's on my wishlist, what does it do wrong?

There's cosmetics and map mods that you unlock through play.

Edit and racial mods too I think? I haven't played much since the first couple days of release

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 4, 2023