Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Earwicker posted:

true, but thats partly because Bethesda has been releasing Skyrim over and over again for a decade now, and hasn't released a major new ES game since then. if they'd made new Special Editions of Oblivion with updated graphics for newer consoles, or versions for Switch or iOS or graphing calculators and so on, those numbers would be bigger too.

Oblivion was released on PC and 360 in 2006. In 2007 it was re-released as a GOTY edition on PC, 360, and PS3. The GOTY edition was later re-released on PC again in 2021. A 5th anniversary edition of Oblivion was released on PC, 360, and PS3 in 2011. Oblivion: GOTY Deluxe was released on PC in 2009. Oblivion was re-released on Xbox One in 2016, and again on Xbox Cloud Gaming in 2021.

Skyrim has more re-releases but it's not like Oblivion didn't get a buttload of them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Also people would like Oblivion way more than Skyrim if it wasn't so ugly and boring art design wise.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Skyrim was the game that introduced RPGs to players who didn't play RPGs

Okay but why specifically Skyrim? Oblivion is just Older Skyrim

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Simply because a whole shitload of people bought Skyrim when the same isn't true for Oblivion. Oblivion was notoriously hated by ES fans when it released and has only become acceptable in restrospect which is probably part of it. Everyone was pretty happy with Skyrim when it came out since it's literally just "Oblivion but better" in most ways and the world wasn't oversaturated with it yet.

e: I'm not making the argument that Skyrim is a great game or anything, just sharing my thoughts on why it was influential and speculating Starfield will be similar.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 4, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vic posted:

Also people would like Oblivion way more than Skyrim if it wasn't so ugly and boring art design wise.

true. imo morrowind was way more interesting than either in that department, but also too early to get as much mainstream attention. it's definitely my favorite of all the mainline es games though it also has some very irritating elements. but the main thing it had going for it is that it felt like a somewhat unique world rather than a generic western medieval fantasy world like oblivion and skyrim.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Lmao at you nerds who like to pretend that AKSHULLY Bethesda games have no appeal and are just terrible, no I don't care that everyone else seems to really like them, everyone else is wrong using my metric of *innovation*.

Imagine being so tedious that you measure the "goodness" of games by innovation jesus christ.

"Every game but the ones I like are bad and for dull minded plebians waaaah :qq:"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Lmao at you nerds who like to pretend that AKSHULLY Bethesda games have no appeal and are just terrible, no I don't care that everyone else seems to really like them, everyone else is wrong using my metric of *innovation*.

Imagine being so tedious that you measure the "goodness" of games by innovation jesus christ.

"Every game but the ones I like are bad and for dull minded plebians waaaah :qq:"

No one is measuring the goodness of a game by its innovation or doing any of the things you're talking about in this post, lmao

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

No one is measuring the goodness of a game by its innovation or doing any of the things you're talking about in this post, lmao

Actually they are :smug:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Skyrim is some of the least fun I have ever had playing a game. It's ugly and boring and cowardly.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i think starfield will be OK, and also sell a bajillion copies

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Bethesda has the market for insipid, mid garbage cornered.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Another advantage Skyrim has is that it came out later when more people were already playing and regularly exposed to videogames, folks with consoles laying around mostly for blu rays and watching Netflix. The next elder scrolls likewise will reach more folks and be more folks first intro to a big RPG like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

First time reading this thread huh

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

George posted:

Bethesda has the market for insipid, mid garbage cornered.

Your posting is Bethesda games lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Felt like Fallout 3 was really the game that gave Bethesda mainstream appeal. Not that morrowind or oblivion were obscure, but FO3 was the game where it seemed like everyone was getting it. I doubt it even had as much to do with the Fallout brand as much as it was a Post Apocalypse open world FPS. I think that is what set Skyrim up to be a big deal release and ultimately put them in the position they are in now. Skyrim also just had so much marketing and hype behind it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

syntaxfunction posted:

actually my measure of goodness is whether or not i can reach the ending without my save getting corrupted across three separate attempts, which no bethesda game has ever succeeded at

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fur20 posted:

actually my measure of goodness is whether or not i can reach the ending without my save getting corrupted across three separate attempts, which no bethesda game has ever succeeded at

Skill issue tbh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Skyrim may have the worst intro of any game ever.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Waltzing Along posted:

Skyrim may have the worst intro of any game ever.

the skyrim intro is fuckin :hellyeah: :krad: awesome if you have Macho Man Dragons installed

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MrQwerty posted:

the skyrim intro is fuckin :hellyeah: :krad: awesome if you have Macho Man Dragons installed

That's after the intro.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It's pretty simple anyone who defends Bethesda defends the fallout 3 in the bunker tutorial stuff and is a piece of poo poo who should have the right to play games taken away. Like holy poo poo the idea that you'd defend them or say anything they do could possibly be better than "ok". gently caress gamers are so god drat stupid no wonder these companies don't even bother trying to make fun games anymore.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

But this is true!

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I'm extremely angry that people like video games that I don't like

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I only get angry at people who like Disco Elysium but I'm also self aware enough to acknowledge that I'm a big stupid weirdo about that game

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Duck and Cover posted:

It's pretty simple anyone who defends Bethesda defends the fallout 3 in the bunker tutorial stuff and is a piece of poo poo who should have the right to play games taken away. Like holy poo poo the idea that you'd defend them or say anything they do could possibly be better than "ok". gently caress gamers are so god drat stupid no wonder these companies don't even bother trying to make fun games anymore.

The fallout 3 tutorial stuff was actually a fun little bit of storytelling, though? At least the first time through. Thankfully, FO3 also taught me the Bethesda style of game bores me to tears, so I never had to replay it. Because goddamn I can see that being annoying to replay.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The Bathesda suits must love how they can cut a shitton of corners and release a blatantly buggy and unfinished game just cause they know the modders will bugfix everything for them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fur20 posted:

No one has actually finished skyrim, eventually they realize that the game is kind of meh and didn't live up to the hype

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I only get angry at people who like Disco Elysium but I'm also self aware enough to acknowledge that I'm a big stupid weirdo about that game

There are dozens of us

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Are you like this irl too?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People who defend Fallout 3 will be the first ones with their backs against the wall when the revolution comes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Archer666 posted:

The Bathesda suits must love how they can cut a shitton of corners and release a blatantly buggy and unfinished game just cause they know the modders will bugfix everything for them.

People always say poo poo like this, but only 8% of players ever used a mod in Skyrim. Most of their customers play on platforms that don't really have a way of modding at all.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I play with mods but usually not until my 3rd ish playthrough

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Playing through a game more than once is wild unless it's been so long you forgot or never actually beat it the first time

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Are you like this irl too?

You think the internet isn't real? Whoa.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Khanstant posted:

Playing through a game more than once is wild unless it's been so long you forgot or never actually beat it the first time

Well, yes. But also gently caress it xcom is fun and it was still fun a second time.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Have you played flappy bird? You seem like you'd like flappy bird.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Have you played flappy bird? You seem like you'd like flappy bird.

It's normal to enjoy fappy bird.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It's a cool game :) They guy took it down but there's lots of copies so you can have variety too :)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

It's a cool game :) They guy took it down but there's lots of copies so you can have variety too :)

Oh flappy bird? No I don't play baby games for babies because I'm a true gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, floppy bird itself was a copy. That game had been around as long as cell phones existed, even back when they were a brick that could only handle a black pixelated ribbon going up and down. And it might have been on flash before that, I'm not sure which one of those came first.