Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It was really weird coincidentally watching Rififi and Le Cercle Rouge side by side since there were so many similarities between the two. I'm not even sure which one I like better, since I thought that Rififi was better paced and had an overall better heist with more fleshed out characters so that when things inevitably went south, I felt more for them. Le Cercle Rouge had some fantastic cinematography and style, though, going for a much deeper noir look than Rififi, with a lot of characters draped in shadows and silhouettes (and so many trenchcoats!). I think I saw Band of Outsiders recently too, so maybe I'm just in a really big French heist movie mood?

Also my copy of Cercle Rouge gets stuck during the heist and skips every few seconds :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nate RFB posted:

All of the Kurosawa Criterions are excellent and worth owning. I have some issues with Kagemusha I guess but it's still very good.

Ineffiable posted:

I think the only Kurosawa bluray I'm missing is Kagemusha. But I have a copy of high and low I've never seen.

Kagemusha is my favorite Kurosawa, but I realize I'm probably alone there. It's a slow-moving but epic moral tale, and is really very thoughtful. You need to watch it in a dark room with the sound up.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The B&N 50% off sale is being extended until Aug 3rd.

So far I've just impulse bought Kuroneko, knowing nothing about it other than it was from the director of Onibaba. Probably going to pick up Sword of Doom too, another mostly blind buy.

Kuroneko is great. it has some good as hell chiaroscuro photography, a bamboo forest, and like lots of fog.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

david crosby posted:

Kuroneko is great. it has some good as hell chiaroscuro photography, a bamboo forest, and like lots of fog.

Watched it last year as part of horror movie-a-day thing in October. I second it is great

I have one more $25 gift card to spend. Thinking of picking up Thief, but I have done no blinds buys this time around.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Kuroneko is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I really wish Shoah was on Hulu because I desperately want to see it but I can't imagine its one of those films I'd want to watch every year like a lot of the other Criterions I own. I expect its a pretty draining experience.

I think it's a real shame that it isn't on Hulu. It seems like if there was ever a film that should be as widely available to watch, it should be this one.

And yes, it's an unbelievably draining experience.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Walked into B&N today to buy a book, walked out with the Tati set on Blu. Mostly a blind buy, I've seen Playtime but it was a long time ago. Only $45 after a couple coupons though, I couldn't resist.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'll echo the recommendations for Kuroneko, I got to see it in theaters when Janus was touring a print. It's beautiful and a great balance of creepy and fun.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Bought The Black Stallion and Time Bandits through B&N. Would have bought Kwaidan instead of the latter if it were released already.

Maybe I'll splurge on two more - perhaps Harakiri and Kuroneko? Or Rashomon and Ran? Currently, my minuscule collection consists only of 80's films or Japanese films.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Wizchine posted:

Bought The Black Stallion and Time Bandits through B&N. Would have bought Kwaidan instead of the latter if it were released already.

Maybe I'll splurge on two more - perhaps Harakiri and Kuroneko? Or Rashomon and Ran? Currently, my minuscule collection consists only of 80's films or Japanese films.

Don't sleep on Harakiri.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Seriously get harakiri. And rashomon. Your Japanese movie collection won't be complete without those.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, Harakiri and Rashomon are on my short list. I haven't seen the former. I've got one week and a pending paycheck to pull the trigger...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wizchine posted:

Yeah, Harakiri and Rashomon are on my short list. I haven't seen the former. I've got one week and a pending paycheck to pull the trigger...

I would recommend Harikiri. It's a really brutal film in its way, since it's about the depravity of man, especially in regards to honor.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I would go as far as to say that Harakiri is the best non-Kurosawa samurai film.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The B&N 50% off sale is being extended until Aug 3rd.

So far I've just impulse bought Kuroneko, knowing nothing about it other than it was from the director of Onibaba. Probably going to pick up Sword of Doom too, another mostly blind buy.
I grabbed Watership Down today on that sale. Money is tight but I'm hoping to grab Overlord and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold before the sale ends.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

I would go as far as to say that Harakiri is the best non-Kurosawa samurai film.

I'd go so far as to say that qualifier probably isn't necessary.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The best non-Kurosawa samurai film is The Sword of Doom. :colbert:

Though I should mention that I haven't seen Harakiri yet, but I liked Samurai Rebellion until the last 20 or so minutes.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Funnily enough, I'm planning to get Harakiri but went off the board for my other choice and was going to get The Sword of Doom. Glad to see an unprompted recommendation for that one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to someone on CriterionForum, it looks like Criterion is working on a restored version of The World's Greatest Sinner.

Edit: posted here

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 25, 2015

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

According to someone on CriterionForum, it looks like Criterion is working on a restored version of The World's Greatest Sinner.

bullpoo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I still wanna know when Criterion is going to get off their rear end and re-release 'Armageddon', 'The Rock', and 'Robocop' as blurays. :colbert:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Egbert Souse posted:

Once I saw a screening of Phase IV and afterwards Saul Bass's estate's film archivist mentioned Criterion was interested in the film. That was over 3 years ago. So, maybe?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Time Dissolver posted:

Once I saw a screening of Phase IV and afterwards Saul Bass's estate's film archivist mentioned Criterion was interested in the film. That was over 3 years ago. So, maybe?

It's with Olive Films, along with the rest of the Paramount films previously licensed to Legend Films. On the upside, they don't sit on any titles unless there's serious problems with the rights or film elements, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of extras. They do often include alternate cuts and the preview cut does exist in full.

Xenomrph posted:

I still wanna know when Criterion is going to get off their rear end and re-release 'Armageddon', 'The Rock', and 'Robocop' as blurays. :colbert:

The Rock has all the extras from Criterion's edition, including the commentary. The newer 4K remastered Robocop has the same unrated cut and nearly all the same extras, plus more. It also has a newer commentary with the same participants. Armageddon seems to be bare-bones, but I'd expect any new edition to come from Disney because Criterion doesn't have the rights any longer. And if The Rock is any indicator, they would also have the rights to all the supplements.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Good to know, I didn't realize the Rock bluray carried forward all the Criterion extras.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
For science-fiction films, I'd love to see a restored Silent Running get a blu-ray release, period - never mind if it gets the Criterion treatment

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Xenomrph posted:

I'd love to see Akira get the sweet modern Criterion treatment, even if it already has a DVD and Blu-ray release available.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wizchine posted:

For science-fiction films, I'd love to see a restored Silent Running get a blu-ray release, period - never mind if it gets the Criterion treatment

Dunno about restored, but it's been released on bluray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Silent-Running-Blu-ray/42303/

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Xenomrph posted:

Dunno about restored, but it's been released on bluray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Silent-Running-Blu-ray/42303/

Well how about that - just last April. I hadn't checked in a while. Thanks.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Wizchine posted:

Well how about that - just last April. I hadn't checked in a while. I'd best take advantage of Google before I post... Thanks.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Egbert Souse posted:

That's what I'm talking about! I've always wanted to see that, this is what I wish Criterion focuses more on, extremely rare films that don't even have a DVD release. I understand they probably don't make as much dough on stuff like this, but the last thing I want from them is more loving Michael Bay or Wes Anderson movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is there a good place to stream some of the more obscure Criterion films before I consider buying them? I'd love to broaden my cinematic horizons but I don't really have the disposable income to blind-purchase movies I may or may not like, especially at Criterion prices.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a good place to stream some of the more obscure Criterion films before I consider buying them? I'd love to broaden my cinematic horizons but I don't really have the disposable income to blind-purchase movies I may or may not like, especially at Criterion prices.

Hulu Plus has a lot of Criterion releases. Check that out if you haven't yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Yea you can spend a few bucks for three months of Hulu and watch a new Criterion every day without running out of good poo poo to watch. I subscribed a while ago and I'm coming to the end of the Criterions I'm really interested in, but it took several months. Very, very worth it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion's channel on Hulu Plus has pretty much everything except for major studio licenses.

You can view the list on Criterion's site:
https://www.criterion.com/hulu

Last count is 930 movies/shorts/TV episodes, including 300+ exclusive to Hulu Plus.

While Hulu's quality movie selection is limited mainly to Criterion's channel and a few others, they have some excellent complete TV shows. They just got the entire run of Seinfeld and they also have every episode of Saturday Night Live, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, South Park, and uh, Teen Mom.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Asnorban posted:

Hulu Plus has a lot of Criterion releases. Check that out if you haven't yet.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea you can spend a few bucks for three months of Hulu and watch a new Criterion every day without running out of good poo poo to watch. I subscribed a while ago and I'm coming to the end of the Criterions I'm really interested in, but it took several months. Very, very worth it.

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion's channel on Hulu Plus has pretty much everything except for major studio licenses.

You can view the list on Criterion's site:
https://www.criterion.com/hulu

Last count is 930 movies/shorts/TV episodes, including 300+ exclusive to Hulu Plus.

While Hulu's quality movie selection is limited mainly to Criterion's channel and a few others, they have some excellent complete TV shows. They just got the entire run of Seinfeld and they also have every episode of Saturday Night Live, Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, South Park, and uh, Teen Mom.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Edit-- I wish I'd thought to ask this before the B&N half off sale was nearly over. :suicide:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 28, 2015

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hulu has the new restoration of Orson Welles' Othello up, albeit cropped to 16x9:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/773305

(Criterion will be releasing it soon, along with Chimes at Midnight and It's All True)

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Chimes at Midnight

ffffffffffffuck yes

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Hulu has the new restoration of Orson Welles' Othello up, albeit cropped to 16x9:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/773305

(Criterion will be releasing it soon, along with Chimes at Midnight and It's All True)

First I'm hearing about "Chimes" being released by Criterion, is that an official announcement?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zandert33 posted:

First I'm hearing about "Chimes" being released by Criterion, is that an official announcement?

It was mentioned at a screening or panel. No timeframe, obviously. Now that they're able to license from Warner Bros., I wouldn't be surprised to see them get The Magnificent Ambersons as well. Although, they already confirmed they don't have rights, at least not yet.

Criterion Forum has a running list of titles confirmed, hinted, or highly likely

I'd take some on the list with a grain of salt, though.

edit: Fixed

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Did the topic dissappear? Link doesn't appear to work.