Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Previa_fun posted:

Are weathertech floor mats worth it? I mean I've read probably a novel's worth of their ads in my lifetime but I never thought about actually buying any.

The thing I like the most about their molded mats is that a lot of times there will be pine needles everywhere here and there is nothing more annoying than trying to get them out of carpet. Instead of dealing with that I just left them out and hose them off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Got my Porter Cable 7424XP and Meguiars microfiber correction system.

I took my clear bra off after using a Bissel Steam Shot, detail spray, claybar, and so much elbow grease. As you can see, the paint difference was really noticible. :gonk:

After:

:science:

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 6, 2013

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
AC in the wife's car went out. I get to spend tomorrow putting a new compressor (and all the related poo poo) in because Ford/Mercury's engine designs in the Taurus/Sable sucks. Decided to go ahead and replace it instead of doing a bypass pulley because it also helps with defrost... and it's the wife's car. If it were mine, I'd bypass the fucker and leave it till spring.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Previa_fun posted:

Are weathertech floor mats worth it? I mean I've read probably a novel's worth of their ads in my lifetime but I never thought about actually buying any.

I got the digital fit ones for a 2003 suburban and they fit all 3 rows like a glove, as in perfect fit. Being very happy with that, I recently bought a set for a 2009 saab 9-7x aero and the fit is a little loose with bits of carpet not covered completely like they are in the suburban. So i guess it depends on the vehicle.

The best part about them is they do a good job of holding all the crap that comes in, and then you can just pull them out and hose them off. I will get them for every vehicle I own. The ones in the suburban have seen 4 years of mud/sand/salt 7 days a week and still look like new when I clean them.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

Fifty Three posted:

I dipped my wheels.

I like it, you can still see the red calipers through it (that's +5HP per caliper), and the rims blend nicely with the taillight as its about the same soft red color.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Got my Porter Cable 7424XP and Meguiars microfiber correction system.

I took my clear bra off after using a Bissel Steam Shot, detail spray, claybar, and so much elbow grease. As you can see, the paint difference was really noticible. :gonk:

After:

:science:

drat, son.

Great looking car, btw.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

That looks pretty neat, pretty good quality on the video as well. I noticed that it reads in km/h though, have you bothered changing that?

Nahh, I didn't read the effing manual and I havent played with it very much yet.

I was super excited when I *thought* I had gotten footage of a man walking across the freeway, ALMOST getting hit by a semi then by my car...

Turned out the semi just swept a rug or a mat of some sort up and it just looked like a human form ... haha

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fifty Three posted:

Which set [of Weathertech mats] did you end up getting? I'm looking to replace my stock WRX mats.

Black digital fits for both front and rear seats for my '06 WRX. The carpet was pretty nice underneath it because I threw them down just after a detail. I wish they covered the dead pedal better because that area of the carpet was dirty where the mat didn't go up high enough to reach.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Order for recirc motor was like 10 minutes too late to receive today - but of course, I wasn't told this until, oh, too late to get ordered for a Saturday delivery.. Looking forward to spending the weekend chauffering half of the dash about over the weekend. :shrek:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Static timed the Niva and adjusted tyre pressures. With a goddamned foot pump. I really need to replace some of my equipment. Stupid Xmas period.

Bonus was I found a complete roll of gaffer tape under the bonnet I had apparently used for something and forgotten about. I've beaten it to absolute poo poo since the last time I was under there and it hadn't moved. Can't think of what I used the tape for though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Went to the self service wreckers, got a stack of Niva parts for General Failure, A pair of struts for a corolla and an intake manifold for a ford 4.0 V6 for a mates exploder after he tried to roll start it and... exploded the intake manifold

Now i need to clean out my landcruiser and make it actually fit 4 people in it again!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

QuarkMartial posted:

AC in the wife's car went out. I get to spend tomorrow putting a new compressor (and all the related poo poo) in because Ford/Mercury's engine designs in the Taurus/Sable sucks. Decided to go ahead and replace it instead of doing a bypass pulley because it also helps with defrost... and it's the wife's car. If it were mine, I'd bypass the fucker and leave it till spring.

And it turned out to be too drat cold to do this today. Putting it off until Tuesday :argh:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Went to the self service wreckers, got a stack of Niva parts for General Failure, A pair of struts for a corolla and an intake manifold for a ford 4.0 V6 for a mates exploder after he tried to roll start it and... exploded the intake manifold

Now i need to clean out my landcruiser and make it actually fit 4 people in it again!

Oooh yeah. I'll try to get in touch a bit later. My attention is kind of divided with home stuffs today.

Also pulled out one of the Magna's front seats to do some measuring. It seems like a good candidate for this. I'd have to reuse the Niva rails and unfortunately going the simplest route would make the seats roughly the same height. It's pretty common for people to mod stock seats with box section to get some extra height. I'm pretty sure Soviet workers had massive torsos and tiny, tiny legs.
http://www.ladaniva.co.uk/baxter/resources/Seat_Swap.htm

e: The seat is held together kind of weird. Damnit. But on the bright side with some box, angle, and a fist full of bolts I think I can recreate the bottom of the height adjuster for the driver's side without too much trouble, allowing installation. Can't speak for the passenger side though.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 8, 2013

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Gorillian Dollars posted:

I like it, you can still see the red calipers through it (that's +5HP per caliper), and the rims blend nicely with the taillight as its about the same soft red color.
Thanks, the more I look at it the more I'm liking it. It was just a surprise at first.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Black digital fits for both front and rear seats for my '06 WRX. The carpet was pretty nice underneath it because I threw them down just after a detail. I wish they covered the dead pedal better because that area of the carpet was dirty where the mat didn't go up high enough to reach.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll probably wait until next winter and see how my interior fares, but that's good to know.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Bled and flushed about 1/2 quart or so of DOT4 through the clutch system in the GTO in hopes of improving the sudden out-of-nowhere terrible pedal feel and performance. Luckily I was able to make it to work without any incident, as it happened right as I got off the expressway. I discovered the reservoir had run almost completely empty with the exception of a layer of black sludge-like poo poo. I don't see any leaks from the master cylinder or the line going to the slave/actuator which on the LS1, is INSIDE the bellhousing. Even with the aid of a lift, bleeding it was a bit frustrating since you can't actually see the bleeder, let alone what's coming out of it. :argh:

The pedal eventually improved and I was satisfied until about halfway home when it started acting up again. The fluid level is still full and relatively clean and while I'm hoping it's just some trapped air that I missed, I fear it's much worse. The car is 9 years old and has 156,000 miles on it, I'm pretty sure most if not all suspect components are far past their life expectancy anyway. Time for an upgrade, let the parts hunt commence! :getin:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Modus Man posted:

I got the digital fit ones for a 2003 suburban and they fit all 3 rows like a glove, as in perfect fit.
The best part about them is they do a good job of holding all the crap that comes in, and then you can just pull them out and hose them off.

I had a set in my P38 Range Rover and were perfect. I need a set for my suburban as well...

(Side note - are you the guy that loves the Trailblazer on FB chat? Add me if you are I got a couple of questions for you concerning suburban stuff - I'm bitching about the 4L60E)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I jerked a tranny today.

a big fat greasy tranny.

Springs all hosed, and the friction material no better.
PO put in a Chinese clutch.

Notorious weakspot of the R380 LR 5 speed. These splines (poor design) wear into nothing. 185K and no wear yet.

Now to scrub this pile of poo poo, re-seal everything, install a clutch and put it back together.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Started reading the book for it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

Notorious weakspot of the R380 LR 5 speed. These splines (poor design) wear into nothing. 185K and no wear yet.

Now to scrub this pile of poo poo, re-seal everything, install a clutch and put it back together.

I still can't believe they used square cut splines on that poo poo. That's like, first year engineering student grade stupidity.

At least they were semi intelligent and made the minor diameter of the splines roughly the same as the shaft diameter.

Today I discovered that my positive battery terminal in the crapcan has been the cause of my intermittent "completely dead vehicle" and "hiccups when hitting bumps, entering zero-G, or taking sharp left turns at speed" problems. I had a sneaking suspicion it was something between the positive battery terminal and the fusebox input lug, but hadn't verified it till the goddamn thing went dead on me this morning when I was already late to work. Fortunately had my DMM and 8 pound hand sledge with me, which were enough to debug the problem :argh:

Guess I am digging up the 8 ton harbor freight hydraulic crimper and putting a proper marine terminal set on it tonight like I should have years ago.

E: holy gently caress, it starts beautifully now and yes, the maddening intermittents are gone. Good loving riddance, and now I know that my battery I thought was failing is actually fine, it just had poo poo connections this whole time!

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 10, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Gave the Niva a good drive after the timing was done. Adjusted the idle mixture about a turn richer. Just stabbing in the dark but it has near 0 power at low RPMs like takeoffs but the accelerator pump is working right. The carb is pretty hosed so tuning it right isn't going to happen. Should be getting hold of a spare and a rebuild kit though.

Also drove it through muddy puddles and boggy wheel ruts with two wheels just to see what happens. Still not really sure. It seems to track pretty straight, and it looked like the dry side was getting torn up. However I know I have lovely luck so there's no way it has Torsens already fitted. Just wish I could see inside the diffs without buying an inspection camera or dismantling half the drivetrain.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

New wiper blades - AutoZone has a buy one, get one 50% off deal for Bosch Evolutions. Hopefully these will outlast the ValueCraft poo poo I've been using.

Oh yeah, safety+smog done today.

Spent $70 between the two of those, and still have to renew my registration this month. :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I broke the driver side seat belt retractor in the Miata. Not sure how I did it but I heard a snap and now it won't retract.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

I broke the driver side seat belt retractor in the Miata. Not sure how I did it but I heard a snap and now it won't retract.

Clock spring snapped from fatigue, most likely. It happens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Clock spring snapped from fatigue, most likely. It happens.

The last time a seat belt broke in one of my cars it heralded a never ending stream of things breaking.

I am afraid.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The last time a seat belt broke in one of my cars it heralded a never ending stream of things breaking.

I am afraid.

Yes it's the seal

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Put the in-laws explorer's front up on stands so I can put it together and get it out of our yard. What a bitch of a job. The ground's gone all soft. Thought I'd try out the bottle jack too, and couldn't get it underneath it anywhere. Resorted to using the trolley jack and the bottle jack to get it up successfully to get the stands under. For a vehicle with such big wheels it really does ride low.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Having my side windows retinted from 50% to 20%. It was just too light and my 330ci has pretty large windows so eh it was time. Now I can pick my nose in privacy thank you very much.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Chinatown posted:

Having my side windows retinted from 50% to 20%. It was just too light and my 330ci has pretty large windows so eh it was time. Now I can pick my nose in privacy thank you very much.
My old car had 35% tint and within 2 weeks of getting a job at my university I got a ticket from the campus police. I wanted to sell the car, and I did but now Im scared of even getting 50% on my new car since only 75% is legal here in NY. When I was sitting there waiting for the cop to write me a ticket I started counting cars with tint darker than mine, I stopped once I hit 20.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

My old car had 35% tint and within 2 weeks of getting a job at my university I got a ticket from the campus police. I wanted to sell the car, and I did but now Im scared of even getting 50% on my new car since only 75% is legal here in NY. When I was sitting there waiting for the cop to write me a ticket I started counting cars with tint darker than mine, I stopped once I hit 20.

Cops here in San Diego just don't give a poo poo unless its full blown limo 5% in my experience.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can I just unload a little bit?

'01 Mercury Sable, with the DOHC engine:

gently caress you Ford for putting the belt tensioner in the tightest of spaces. We had to unbolt and shift a/c lines, remove the coolant tank, passenger headlight, and it was still a pain in the rear end to remove.
gently caress you again for putting the a/c compressor on the bottom of the engine. It'll be terrible to remove it in the spring (though I'm hoping to limp through winter with my wife using the defroster as little as possible).
gently caress you thrice on general principle for also putting the alternator at the rear and basically underside of the engine (though it does not need replacing at this time). Also the water pump is way on the opposite side of the engine :wtc:
gently caress you a fourth time - couldn't you have made the car six inches wider? loving come one, the bay is so tight that if you drop a ratchet, socket, bolt, or even a nut it won't fall to the ground. It just falls right there and you can pick it up it's that tight.

A hearty "Why are you so damned useless" goes out to my peeps at Haynes repair manuals who had no instructions for removing the tensioner at all, no pictures of the DOHC engine, and lacked a mother loving belt routing diagram for the DOHC engine. OHV engine? Sure, they had side pictures, diagrams, and so on. The other engine style, the DOHC? Not poo poo for it. Didn't make me feel good that the first thing they cover for repairs on the DOHC engine are the timing chains. I get the impression that the Haynes manuals aren't really the greatest things, but they should include basic stuff like that since they are (or claim to be) based on a teardown and rebuild of the engine. (And before one asks, it did advertise and have limited information on the DOHC engine. I didn't mistakenly buy one that said "Except DOHC engines" or something similar.)

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Can I just unload a little bit?
Yes, yes you can

QuarkMartial posted:

A hearty "Why are you so damned useless" goes out to my peeps at Haynes repair manuals....

...I get the impression that the Haynes manuals aren't really the greatest things

Yeah, for a couple I bought one Haynes and then went and bought the Chiltons too (or vice versa). Neither one is better, but between the 2 of them you kinda get an idea of what you are doing. Find the factory manual if plan on keeping and wrenching on the car. It is worth it.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
I'm pretty sure any repair begins with this step in a Haynes manual:

Step one - Disconnect Battery

Haynes is a decent base but an actual service manual is like a bible for your car. No comparison. Once you have one use the Haynes manual for emergency tender for starting a fire if your stranded.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress you thrice on general principle for also putting the alternator at the rear and basically underside of the engine (though it does not need replacing at this time). Also the water pump is way on the opposite side of the engine :wtc:

This isn't the only car or engine they had this brilliant idea to do it to. And let me say you would think the four cylinder option would be easier. BUT gently caress NO WERE FOMOCO WE RUN THIS poo poo. I feel your pain. My wife has an 03 escape with the same engine and even less room....I dropped a socket in there once and still haven't found it. It never fell down it never fell anywhere damaging. The socket just disappeared. So in conclusion gently caress you ford for making the DOHC v6. I never had these problems in my 95 Taurus with the OHV engine.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
New recirc motor. Its nice and warm inside now. :kimchi:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I also forgot: gently caress Ford because we also had to remove the coolant reservoir. Yeah. Asses.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Washed it. :argh: winter :argh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KennyLoggins posted:

Haynes is a decent base

hahahahahaha, no.

KennyLoggins posted:

Once you have one use the Haynes manual for emergency tender for starting a fire if your stranded.

Yes.

Here's a helpful guide to applying the knowledge found within a Haynes manual: http://www.mez.co.uk/haynes.html

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Nodoze posted:

Washed it. :argh: winter :argh:

I did this yesterday because it was finally above 32* and a 'nice' Pacific Northwest day. It rained today and kicked all the poo poo up again so I'm gonna stop caring for another two weeks now :hfive:

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
The Haynes for my generation rx-7 is actually decent. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I got a factory service manual for my Fit for like $25 shipped off ebay. I will now buy a FSM for every vehicle I own from here on out.