Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I just finished Where do we go from here by Martin Luther King Jr. Has me interested in reading about the horrors of the slave trade. The part from Africa and overseas. The conditions, etc.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

donkey salami posted:

I just finished Where do we go from here by Martin Luther King Jr. Has me interested in reading about the horrors of the slave trade. The part from Africa and overseas. The conditions, etc.

If you don't mind fiction, Charles Johnson's Middle Passage is an excellent read.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Thanks! Will give it a look

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

donkey salami posted:

I think Hugh Thomas's The Slave Trade may be the only modern single volume history of the subject pitched at academics and general public. The book is problematic on a couple of levels: the narrative could use a lot of editing as it is very tough to slog through, he doesn't really get into causal factors. But purely on a descriptive level it will be hard to find a book with more detail on do many different aspects of the subject.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Thanks for the tip. I saw that one and read the amazon reviews. I was little worried cause I am coming at the topic pretty ignorant and people were saying hard to grasp cause like you said the book needs a good editor.

Thanks for the tip!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

check out The Known World. Winner of the 2004 Pulitzer

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Thanks! This one looks like covers something I hadn't even considered

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hey so I just finished the Gulag Archipelago (and it was incredible) but I feel like I missed a lot of nuance because I don't really know anything about the October Revolution or the early Soviet Union in general. What're some good basic intros?

I'd also be super interested in reading more about samizdat (I'm reading Solzhenitsyn's Invisible Allies right now and will probably pick up his The Oak and the Calf next).

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Radio! posted:

Hey so I just finished the Gulag Archipelago (and it was incredible) but I feel like I missed a lot of nuance because I don't really know anything about the October Revolution or the early Soviet Union in general. What're some good basic intros?

I'd also be super interested in reading more about samizdat (I'm reading Solzhenitsyn's Invisible Allies right now and will probably pick up his The Oak and the Calf next).

I always post this but, the one and only, A People's Tragedy by Orlando Figes is the best history of the revolutions, covering the era from the late 1800's until Lenin's death.

Anne Applebaum wrote two amazing books, if you care about the CCCP era, Gulag and Iron Curtain.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

mcustic posted:

I always post this but, the one and only, A People's Tragedy by Orlando Figes is the best history of the revolutions, covering the era from the late 1800's until Lenin's death.

Anne Applebaum wrote two amazing books, if you care about the CCCP era, Gulag and Iron Curtain.

As those are both very right wing sources, I'd also suggest History of the Russian Revolution by Trotsky.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How's Needful Things?

I haven't read a Stephen King book in a while and I realized it sounded entertaining.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How's Needful Things?

I haven't read a Stephen King book in a while and I realized it sounded entertaining.

So, let's say you have a cool balloon, and you are blowing it up and it's getting bigger and bigger, and it's looking pretty great, and you're already cringing in anticipation of the almighty BLAM that's totally going to come when the quivering balloon finally pops--and then the balloon slips off the nozzle of the helium tank and deflates with a dull, wet flabbering sound that's not even all that impressive as a fart noise.

That's basically Needful Things. It's a good book and a fun, even exciting read, right up until the climactic scenes--if you can deal with that, though, do give the book a try. I've always liked it a lot.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

It's worth noting that Les Miserables isn't set during the French Revolution (if you mean the 1789-99 one). Not that that helps with you being put off by the the film/musical of course but you could say that it not being about the time period in question is a good enough reason not to read it right now.

You might like A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel though, which is about Danton, Desmoulins and Robespierre.

Sounds good. I'll add it to the list.

Tale of Two Cities is a good catch and Pimpernel too.

Stainless Steel Rat! I remember those from way back when. Probably where I got my original love of conman stories.

Thanks.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

On the con artists tip: you might want to take a look at Patricia Highsmith's Ripley books. They're a lot darker than the likes of Locke Lamora or Moist von Lipwig -- Ripley is a cold, vicious bastard -- but they're interesting reads.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Picayune posted:

So, let's say you have a cool balloon, and you are blowing it up and it's getting bigger and bigger, and it's looking pretty great, and you're already cringing in anticipation of the almighty BLAM that's totally going to come when the quivering balloon finally pops--and then the balloon slips off the nozzle of the helium tank and deflates with a dull, wet flabbering sound that's not even all that impressive as a fart noise.

That's basically Needful Things. It's a good book and a fun, even exciting read, right up until the climactic scenes--if you can deal with that, though, do give the book a try. I've always liked it a lot.

Oh, so it's a Stephen King book.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh, so it's a Stephen King book.

Exactly.

I do think it's one of his better ones, though.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I'm shopping around for audiobooks for my dad. I got him a Michael Crichton three pack a few years ago and he really enjoyed Airframe. He's really into shows like How Stuff Works and the like, so Cricthon's technical tangents are right in his wheelhouse. I was considering getting him a few more from Crichton but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on authors with a similar style that might also be good.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

dirksteadfast posted:

I was considering getting him a few more from Crichton but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on authors with a similar style that might also be good.

Robin Cook and Fredrick Forsyth.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

I'm shopping around for audiobooks for my dad. I got him a Michael Crichton three pack a few years ago and he really enjoyed Airframe. He's really into shows like How Stuff Works and the like, so Cricthon's technical tangents are right in his wheelhouse. I was considering getting him a few more from Crichton but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on authors with a similar style that might also be good.

Neal Stephenson is the king of technical tangents, with all types of complex concepts across many different fields being obsessively and lovingly detailed and explained in his novels. Cryptonomicon and Reamde are two of his books that have modern, thriller type settings that a Crichton fan would probably enjoy.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations. I started reading Snow Crash recently (sample only) and didn't catch that style at all, but then it's hard to gleam that from a limited number of pages.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I met Steph Cha in an event at my local library and now I'm very interested in her book "Follow Her Home" after she described her book as "femminist, Korean-American noir" and how her main inspiration was how she was a huge fan of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe books but couldn't stand his casual sexism. Has anybody read her books?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm interested in nice to read non-fiction informational books about various subjects. While this is a vague description, I mean books like (hopefully I won't get mocked for this) Freakonomics, the Drunkard's Walk, A Brief History Of Time and Godel, Escher, Bach.

Basically, anything that isn't too cumbersome too read but gives fun, new and relevant insights into various subject domains.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kalenden posted:

I'm interested in nice to read non-fiction informational books about various subjects. While this is a vague description, I mean books like (hopefully I won't get mocked for this) Freakonomics, the Drunkard's Walk, A Brief History Of Time and Godel, Escher, Bach.

Basically, anything that isn't too cumbersome too read but gives fun, new and relevant insights into various subject domains.

A short history of nearly everything. You're welcome

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kalenden posted:

Anything by Mary Roach. If you want a step in the more technical/less humorous direction, pretty much anything by Steven Johnson, and if you want a Brysonesque history of beer drinking in England, read Pete Brown's Man Walks into a Pub. Sudhir Venkatesh's Gang Leader for a Day was in Freakonomics, so that's another good one to check out. Oh, and Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation is great, too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kalenden posted:

You mentioned Godel, Escher, Bach but really all of Douglas Hofstadter's books are like this. Le Ton Beau de Marot may be my favorite. It covers (among many other topics) the meaning and art of translation ... and if that sounds boring, it's only because you haven't read the book yet. It's truly a fascinating subject, especially the manner in which he approaches it and all the byways he goes down.

His book of collected essays, Metamagical Themas, is also fantastic and includes penetrating looks into game theory, psychology, and fonts (another topic that sounds very dry until you read more about it).

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good non-fiction about the mob/mafia? Specifically early 1900's/prohibition era stuff.

Thanks book people!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

PleasusChrist posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good non-fiction about the mob/mafia? Specifically early 1900's/prohibition era stuff.

Thanks book people!

Mike Dash The First Family: Terror, Extortion and the Birth of the American Mafia. A very well written and well researched history of the development of one of the first crime families at the turn of the century.

quote:

In its skeleton, The First Family is the story of the birth of the Mafia in the United States; in its flesh, the tale documents the rise to power of Giuseppe Morello, a.k.a. "Clutch Hand" because of a birth defect that left his right arm ending in a single finger. Morello, a Sicilian murderer and cattle rustler on the run from the Mafia stronghold of Corleone, landed in the United States in 1892, at a time when the underworld was a free-for-all of various ethnic groups trying to slice themselves a thick slab of the American dream. Within a decade, Morello had put down the roots of a criminal organization that sparked the name of the book, and the tentacles of which endure to this day.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 16, 2015

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

dirksteadfast posted:

He might like Kolymsky Heights by Lionel Davidson, with the sole caveat that I'm not 100% sure that there's an audiobook version.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I require a non-ficion history book focusing on the 80s please, and make it grim as possible, arrroooo! :nixon:

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 19, 2015

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Kalenden posted:

This is usually called "Pop Sci" or something of the sort. Have you tried Brian Greene's books?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I require a non-ficion history book focusing on the 80s please, and make it grim as possible, arrroooo! :nixon:

Randy Shilts' And the Band Played On is a history of the early years of the AIDS epidemic. Grim enough for you?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Selachian posted:

Randy Shilts' And the Band Played On is a history of the early years of the AIDS epidemic. Grim enough for you?

Not quite, got anything on Iran-Contra?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Klaus88 posted:

Funny, yesterday I tried to post Malcolm Byrne's Iran-Contra: Reagan's Scandal and the Unchecked Abuse of Presidential Power, but the page kept timing out.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

You could try Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras and the Crack Cocaine Explosion by Gary Webb. It's very good.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Any recommendations for historical fiction similar in style to Sven Hassel's war books?

Borneo Jimmy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 22, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I need a audiobook that shows the high weirdness of the temprence movement in America

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

http://www.audible.com/pd/History/Last-Call-Audiobook/B005QDO0KW/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1434939674&sr=1-1

Last Call is a great history of prohibition

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My friends and I were having a group discussion, and we started talking about "the unexplained". One of my friends talked about quantum physics, and how dimensions and whatnot can explain why we perceive ghosts, supernatural occurances, etc. Are there any good books on quantum physics or theories similar that are written for someone who isn't familiar with anything in this vein?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Franchescanado posted:

My friends and I were having a group discussion, and we started talking about "the unexplained". One of my friends talked about quantum physics, and how dimensions and whatnot can explain why we perceive ghosts, supernatural occurances, etc. Are there any good books on quantum physics or theories similar that are written for someone who isn't familiar with anything in this vein?

Your friend was full of poo poo.

If you actually want to read about real quantum physics, maybe try How to Teach Quantum Physics to your Dog by Chad Orzel. Pretty decent layman's primer, although the dog aspect gets a bit tedious. http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Teach-Quantum-Physics-Your/dp/1851687793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah I don't think your friend has a proper grasp on the subject.

You could try The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, and A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking.