Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think it's that pep chance goes up thanks to an invisible meter and the biggest contributor to pep is taking damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I have never played a DQ game before and the only JRPG I've ever really been able to get into was Super Mario RPG but I'm loving the hell out of this and it's amazingly charming. It feels relaxing to play.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This has one of the best Getting The Boat In A JRPG scenes ive ever seen. The world feels so huge!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly at this point in my life I think charm is the most important attribute a JRPG can have

Like Super Mario RPG is super charming and that's a big part of what makes it fun. The best Final Fantasy games have a bunch of character and charm. One of the reasons why I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear totally fail to be the successors to Chrono Trigger they're presented as is because they lack the personality that Chrono Trigger has (seriously, playing Chrono Trigger right after Setsuna made me really notice just how much character and life even the random enemies show).

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I have been wanting to do a big JRPG for a couple years now but just couldn't get into many for a variety of reasons. I REALLY wanted to get into Persona 5 but for all its style, it just felt totally overwhelming. This feels easy enough, but is also entertaining. Love the art style.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I played for a few more hours this morning and I'm super super happy with this game. I have to admit it's really been a test of remembering how things work in JRPGs since the last game I've been playing for the past year has been Breath Of The Wild (approximately 400 hours). Having borders where you can't climb/fall, being able to go places in the rain, and menus, menus, menus are something I haven't been used to in a long long time. I'm digging how granular it can get. Also I was surprised at how fun it is to forge stuff; I got a +3 sword almost immediately but a dagger I made "failed", but is still +1 which is a bit confusing. Also realizing that there is strategy in when you hit certain areas is interesting. I also now have mediocre scale mail armor :dance:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I have been wanting to do a big JRPG for a couple years now but just couldn't get into many for a variety of reasons. I REALLY wanted to get into Persona 5 but for all its style, it just felt totally overwhelming. This feels easy enough, but is also entertaining. Love the art style.

Yeah, I adored Persona 5 but "overwhelming" is a really valid take on it. If you're the kind of person who can't just switch off and accept that you're going to miss a bunch of stuff on your first playthrough, Persona games can be kind of stressful and there's a lot to take in. (Somehow I managed to max out all of the social links in Persona 5 in one playthrough with only minimal guide usage and it felt amazing, probably because I would've always been vaguely disappointed if I hadn't.)

Dragon Quest is pretty much the ultimate JRPG series for chilling out and taking it slow.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Had to force myself to stop to go have some lunch.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm pretty blown away by the overall production quality. The animations and cutscenes are crazy. I just finished the desert area and was consistently finding myself amazed at how well they frame things and how much unique non-canned animation is used. It's like some Witcher 3 level poo poo.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
Is there anything out there that explains how you learn pep powers? I learned the fire circle thing one for Erik and the MC, then messed something up and reloaded. It's been a couple hours and I haven't learned it again. I've used their decoy pep several times since-- totally lost on what triggers this unless learning skills is another wholly RNG based roll at the end of battles.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Is there anything out there that explains how you learn pep powers? I learned the fire circle thing one for Erik and the MC, then messed something up and reloaded. It's been a couple hours and I haven't learned it again. I've used their decoy pep several times since-- totally lost on what triggers this unless learning skills is another wholly RNG based roll at the end of battles.

At least one of the ways to learn pep powers is to have various abilities unlocked on the characters.

For instance, having flame slash on the MC and half-inch on Erik unlocks a pep-power that pretty much guarantees a successful steal. If said abilities unlocked would unlock a pep-power the game will tell you in the character builder.

There may be other ways but I haven't found them yet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

The one you're talking about requires one of Erik's Knife skills to be unlocked in his skill tree. I forget which one, but the skill tree itself does mention something to the effect of "This ability might unlock a Pep Power".

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Does party line-up have any influence over targeting frequency? So far it is seemingly like the two middle characters are being targeted more often, but that just may be confirmation bias at this point.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Zurai posted:

The one you're talking about requires one of Erik's Knife skills to be unlocked in his skill tree. I forget which one, but the skill tree itself does mention something to the effect of "This ability might unlock a Pep Power".

No, I've never spent a skill point so that's not possible. Or I got some really weird bug where it unlocked for no reason, either way. It definitely unlocked randomly after a battle with no skill points spent.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I believe it says "Pep Power Piece" in the character builder for those abilities that are part of Pep Powers. Alliteration is fun!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kiggles posted:

Does party line-up have any influence over targeting frequency? So far it is seemingly like the two middle characters are being targeted more often, but that just may be confirmation bias at this point.

Supposedly it's first character who gets attacked most often

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Why would anyone use the weird default battle camera? Potty!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Harrow posted:

Honestly at this point in my life I think charm is the most important attribute a JRPG can have

Speaking of... ( Kind of )

What does the charm attribute actually do in game?

content
Feb 13, 2014

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Why would anyone use the weird default battle camera? Potty!

I was wondering if most people are going to turn on the other, saner option. Making that the default is an interesting choice.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

katkillad2 posted:

Speaking of... ( Kind of )

What does the charm attribute actually do in game?

The higher your charm, the higher %chance a monster will be stunned by your awesomeness and lose a turn.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
heliodor is kind of a hosed up place

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The King's logic is... flawed.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Anyone know offhand if the +attack skills stack in this one? I would guess that they do, the numbers seem lower than normal to account for it but...

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

The higher your charm, the higher %chance a monster will be stunned by your awesomeness and lose a turn.

I believe it also affects certain skills. Like Hustle Dance.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Love love love the numbers in this series and how small they are compared to pretty much any jrpg out there. Making it to double digit damage doesn’t take long but it feels like a big deal. Same with 20, 30, etc etc.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I'm pretty blown away by the overall production quality. The animations and cutscenes are crazy. I just finished the desert area and was consistently finding myself amazed at how well they frame things and how much unique non-canned animation is used. It's like some Witcher 3 level poo poo.

I really hope this game does well because we need more Dragon Quest in the west. :(

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
boy I sure wish they named the skill system anything other than Character Builder. but yeah I'm speccing the Hero into 1h Swords and Erik into Knives cause dual wield sounds sick. how's everyone else doing

don't wanna bust on anyone but if you go for the +2% to Crit, you're a rube

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Expect My Mom posted:

boy I sure wish they named the skill system anything other than Character Builder.

But you're using it to build character!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Expect My Mom posted:

boy I sure wish they named the skill system anything other than Character Builder. but yeah I'm speccing the Hero into 1h Swords and Erik into Knives cause dual wield sounds sick. how's everyone else doing

don't wanna bust on anyone but if you go for the +2% to Crit, you're a rube

Going down greatswords for hero because the animations and weight to them are :cabot: but yeah beelining dual wield for Erik because my friend tim rogers told me to

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

New drinking game: every time the party hurls themselves off a cliff to escape certain doom, take a shot

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Mover posted:

New drinking game: every time the party hurls themselves off a cliff to escape certain doom, take a shot

please do not encourage goons to kill themselves

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Charlie Bobson posted:

heliodor is kind of a hosed up place

It's a nice place to get imprisoned

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

What's a good skill/weapon setup for the 5th party member (are we spoiling party members? The game's not shy about letting you know who you get)? I've gotten pretty comfortable with the first four and the newbie feels like they don't really fit in a certain role, unlike the others.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Was really enjoying harder monsters mode til i got the 3rd and 4th party members.

Now regular battles seem pretty drat tedious. Might hafta turn it off...

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The puns in enemy names have always been very strong, but I don't know how they're going to top the Sham Hatwitch.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Dr.Smasher posted:

It's a nice place to get imprisoned

It also has a walled off ghetto for all the poor people to live, with travel between the downtown and main city impossible unless you bribe the guards

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dude789 posted:

The puns in enemy names have always been very strong, but I don't know how they're going to top the Sham Hatwitch.

They reach a bit far in many cases. but this one is pretty ok. I'd translate the Japanese name as "Swinebrero" (ton(meaning pig)burero)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What's a good skill/weapon setup for the 5th party member (are we spoiling party members? The game's not shy about letting you know who you get)? I've gotten pretty comfortable with the first four and the newbie feels like they don't really fit in a certain role, unlike the others.

No you don't need to spoiler party members shown in the game's opening cinematic. That'd be worse than people spoilering Zeke in the XC2 thread.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Going down greatswords for hero because the animations and weight to them are :cabot: but yeah beelining dual wield for Erik because my friend tim rogers told me to

Funny, I'm doing dual wield Erik cause of Tim Rogers as well!

Well, that and a thief with duel daggers just makes sense. I could just cheese it and use the preorder bonuses to get it quicker but nah.

I've got the Less exp from monsters draconian restriction, but managed to run into 2 metal slimes and got 4081 exp. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

No you don't need to spoiler party members shown in the game's opening cinematic. That'd be worse than people spoilering Zeke in the XC2 thread.

Not to mention every time you start up the game you get to see every one of them during the loading screen. It's real obvious about it.