Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

zoux posted:

I saw this and thought, hmm Timm Mr. Freeze and Breyfogle Batman but actually, I learned that Mignola did the redesign of Freeze's costume for BTAS.

That...wow, I should've made that connection given how it looked. Now I want to see a Mignola Joker....well, really a Mignola everything batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

That...wow, I should've made that connection given how it looked. Now I want to see a Mignola Joker....well, really a Mignola everything batman.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Monaghan posted:

I've heard the hilarious argument that "Comics made fantastic sales back in the nineties, therefore we should try to emulate the writing and art style of that period. "

Like for gently caress's sake do you people honestly not know about the speculation bubble that happened with comics?

A surprising number of them don't. Even fewer know about the mass distributor die-ff after Marvel bought HeroesWorld.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Generally if the question is "do these people know X" the answer is no. They don't know poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who decided that 'Captain Caveman' would be a good look for Wolverine?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This isn't the "good/bad character redesigns" thread.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bit presumptuous to describe your dick as a wagon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of, is Bat Dick good art or bad art?

:thunk:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's bad art. Just dumb.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bit presumptuous to describe your dick as a wagon.
What he lost in schnoz he made up in shvantz

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Batman's hog NWS obv

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Say Nothing posted:

Who decided that 'Captain Caveman' would be a good look for Wolverine?

This all happened because he lost his nose!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Secondary mutation: Grandmaboob

X-Force v1 #81

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yikes, I used to love Adam Polina's work.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did Warpath suddenly lose 100 lbs of muscle?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just how Polina drew him. This was when they were trying to play up that he was the physically strongest mutant ever.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel like it would be more thematically appropriate for Batman to have a micropenis.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I feel like it would be more thematically appropriate for Batman to have a micropenis.

This just popped up on a friend's FB page.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Avengers West Coast #75

sigh

a bad panel from yet another interminable Roy Thomas story about Arkon, one of the most boring and dopey villains ever

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ygolonac posted:

Secondary mutation: Grandmaboob

X-Force v1 #81

I kind of like everything on the left hand side of the panel, and dislike everything on the right hand side.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Pastry of the Year posted:

Avengers West Coast #75

sigh

a bad panel from yet another interminable Roy Thomas story about Arkon, one of the most boring and dopey villains ever

How did you also miss the anorexic WonderMan/Sub-Mariner hybrid in the background????

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't believe someone dared to draw a boob that isn't huge and lifted by antigravity

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

I can't believe someone dared to draw a boob that isn't huge and lifted by antigravity

At least they had the decency to draw them on the boobutt pose.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vincent posted:

At least they had the decency to draw them on the boobutt pose.

I figure site was talking more about Moonstar.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GPTribefan posted:

How did you also miss the anorexic WonderMan/Sub-Mariner hybrid in the background????

because I was making this face the whole time I was reading the issue

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Pastry of the Year posted:

because I was making this face the whole time I was reading the issue

I was betting dollars to donuts it was Tom Morgan on pencils, but my memory betrayed me - it was Herb Trimpe on pencils AND inks.

Poor old guy :(. I know we’ve gone through it before, but He tried to hard to adjust to the 90s and just couldn’t.

PS - Tom Morgan was one of those guys that when I saw his name as the fill-in artist, I knew I was going to be skipping that issue. His biggest claim to fame was drawing a 6 page Fartman comic for Howard Stern, so yeah.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
We talk a lot about Image and all the EXTREME 90' s stuff in this thread. I stumbled on this documentary I'd never seen before that seems to sum up the era pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dsjiLERfs

Whoops. that was part 2. Part 1 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9a1XSyjjNg

I can actually honestly see the appeal and understand the hype, as cringe worthy as it is now. The stuff was seen as different and mold breaking after 30 years of bascially by the book house styles of Marvel and DC. Their heart seemed to be in the right place regarding artist and creator control too.

It's a good watch. Kind of like a VH1: Behind the Music episode

It hasn't aged well, of course, but a lot of things don't. God, Liefeld is a goofball.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 22, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Madkal posted:

I kind of like everything on the left hand side of the panel, and dislike everything on the right hand side.

Polina's art on X-Force was by and large very good and aside from kind of a stiff and dopey pose I don't have any big objections to the stylized anatomy. He had great facial expressions, kind of Giffen-y, kind of in a similar 90s vein as like Pasqual Ferry. He could draw people looking happy in interesting ways which was no small feat in an era of titanic grimaces. I do think it's very funny that Dani is reading a Barry Gifford book at the beach.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

We talk a lot about Image and all the EXTREME 90' s stuff in this thread. I stumbled on this documentary I'd never seen before that seems to sum up the era pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dsjiLERfs

Whoops. that was part 2. Part 1 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9a1XSyjjNg

I can actually honestly see the appeal and understand the hype, as cringe worthy as it is now. The stuff was seen as different and mold breaking after 30 years of bascially by the book house styles of Marvel and DC. Their heart seemed to be in the right place regarding artist and creator control too.

It's a good watch. Kind of like a VH1: Behind the Music episode

It hasn't aged well, of course, but a lot of things don't. God, Liefeld is a goofball.

This is great, I loved his back-handed comment re Liefeld at 9:50 ”it’s always good to have people who know how to draw feet because some people aren’t that great at it, lol”

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I just got into comics and only really read Image stuff and European stuff. How did Image from from Spawn to what it is now? It seemed really bizarre to me that they managed to go from knockoff superheroes to almost entirely non-superhero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean short answer is the speculator bubble burst and all the lovely knockoff superheroes stopped selling, then they started trying new stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Was the start of their revitalization when Liefeld gave Prophet and Glory to indie folks a handful of years ago? Weird that it hasn't been that long.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

Was the start of their revitalization when Liefeld gave Prophet and Glory to indie folks a handful of years ago? Weird that it hasn't been that long.

I don't know, he'd given Supreme and Youngblood to Moore (and Lee had done likewise with WildC.A.T.S.) a good bit before that.

I actually think a big part of the revitalisation is the arrival of Robert Kirkman, for better or worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There have been a few times where a bunch of Indy creators have come to Image for brief times.. Bone and Strangers in Paradise were both Image books for chunks of their runs. I don't have any sales data to back things up but the explosion in popularity of the Walking Dead is probably the moment when Image was revitalized.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Walking Dead (and maybe Invincible) is definitely what led to Kirkman getting bumped up to more or less equal status with the company's founding partners.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Walking Dead (and maybe Invincible) is definitely what led to Kirkman getting bumped up to more or less equal status with the company's founding partners.

Definitely Invincible was a factor. It was the first time Image had a superhero book that worked in years. Also Kirkman proved that the creative partnership he'd made with Charlie Adlard on The Walking Dead after Tony Moore left wasn't a fluke when he paired up with Ryan Ottley.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Rhyno posted:

They really want their JNCOs back.

look... they're very comfortable pants and I have very tiny legs

incidentally, Burger King has brought back Surge, and I weep as everything from the 90s but huge pant legs rise from the grave

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Mister Kingdom posted:

This just popped up on a friend's FB page.

Sorry, but this is amazing.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

look... they're very comfortable pants and I have very tiny legs

incidentally, Burger King has brought back Surge, and I weep as everything from the 90s but huge pant legs rise from the grave

I don't know where you live but, Surge has been back in gas stations around here for a few years now.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

quote:

This hand-colored splash page by Marie Severin (pencils and colors) and Johnny Craig (inks) from Sub-Mariner #19 (November 1969) features caricatures of the entire Marvel Bullpen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I like that she drew Kirby with a cigar jammed in the corner of his mouth.

David D. Davidson posted:

I don't know where you live but, Surge has been back in gas stations around here for a few years now.

Whenever anyone mentions Surge I still think of this guy: