Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Lawson posted:

Bob is the last survivor of the unwanted garbage birds that some in the thread gave me poo poo for some time ago. I got her from a neighbor so that our newly widowed (at the time) rooster would have companions. Some folks in the thread thought I was an idiot for not butchering the rooster instead. Oh well. Bob is a Good Girl and we love her to pieces. She makes the most adorable turkey impression whenever she goes broody.

Knowing how the neighbor keeps his chickens, chances are Bob is as much of a mutt as they come.

Bob appears to be a Dutch Bantam hen, and very pretty. And there's no such thing as a garbage bird. :)

As long as we're sharing chicken stories, Pong, our 14 year old white Frizzle bantam Cochin hen, just went back out to the flock..she'd been in the house eating snacks and watching TV since January 29th recovering from a fractured thigh. Cam, our big honkin' Giant Cochin/Americaunas mix rooboy had been infatuated her and SAT on her, trying to mate her. What a dunce.

Luckily Pong is a tough old lady, she healed up just fine!

Also: Chickam is coming! We're planning on setting eggs in the incubator on March 10th-11th, aiming for the hatch on March 31- April 1 (Easter)! Since it's also April Fool's Day though, I'm trying to get eggs from some silly looking birds to hatch...

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This is the surviving hen. She is a good girl and very assertive despite being small. We'll get some pictures of the rooster soon. Excuse the vacuum.

Oh she's stunning :kimchi:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chickam is coming! We're planning on setting eggs in the incubator on March 10th-11th, aiming for the hatch on March 31- April 1 (Easter)! Since it's also April Fool's Day though, I'm trying to get eggs from some silly looking birds to hatch...

Hi VS! (and 12_String and The Kid). :)

Are you planning on getting any unusual breeds (through eBay) this year? I keep hoping for some Frizzles or at least some Leg Bars or even more Barred Rocks.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

We're down to just two cemanis now, a hen and a rooster. They're "imperfect" though so they had little bits of white on their feet or their combs or wherever.

What a pretty girl! Please post pics of the roo! Those two need to make some little chicks! (or if you don't want chicks, there's others here who would love some fertilized eggs to hatch). ;)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also: Chickam is coming! We're planning on setting eggs in the incubator on March 10th-11th, aiming for the hatch on March 31- April 1 (Easter)! Since it's also April Fool's Day though, I'm trying to get eggs from some silly looking birds to hatch...

Aw yiss :dance:

(I managed to name Peepers and Cowbell (who turned out to be a roo) in the past).

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yay Chickam! Yay Ayam Cemani chix! Yay spring!

Poor Pong, though. How's Cam doing with the disappearance and reappearance of his lady love?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Crossposting from the bird thread:

Whats the best way to deal with chicken mites? Will mites off a chicken be able to live off of parrots? I know they cant live on humans for more than a few weeks. I handled chickens and their coop and sat on my computer chair in the same clothes to take my shoes off, now they are in that and my bed. I know they are mobile as hell if they are hungry, whats the best thing to spray/treat the birds with to stop then getting dug in?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 3, 2018

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I'm not sure about getting rid of them, but make sure they have areas to dust bathe as a way to help prevent them in the future.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

spookygonk posted:

My post from January 5th:

The current four, we found yesterday are all suffering with lice. Rubbed diatomaceous earth over them this morning and our awesome vet gave us a half bottle of Frontline Spray For Cats And Dogs so we can treat them as soon as possible. All nests are being cleaned out and scrubbed, cushions washed and mats are being binned. First time we've had hens with lice.

(I'm at work typing this and have started itching in sympathy)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I posted most of this in the bird thread too but:

For chickens you can purchase anti mite mixture from livestock stores, the same place you'd buy food, chicken accessories and baby chickens. If you have large quantities of chickens you make up a bucket and dunk the whole chook in. If you have only a few, you make up a smaller amount in a spray bottle and spray the chickens and all their stuff.

If the mites get onto a pet parrot, you can theoretically use chicken mite spray on them but probably check with your vet first. Otherwise, you can buy from a pet store or online parrot mite spray. It's much the same but easier to make in smaller quantities and maybe less likely to cause spontaneous random chicken death (a bad habit of chickens).

For your bedding, chairs, clothing, etc you can use regular insect spray but they should die out of their own accord within a week or so.

Wild birds are covered in mites. They are how most pet chickens get mites. Unless you are doing intercontinental traveling, don't worry about spreading mites to wild birds. They already have them.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Chooks get very offended when they get grabbed and sprayed with anti mite spray, so remember to take pictures.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My two girls have learned that i leave the front double doors open when it's raining.

Queue me coming back from the kitchen to see two very bedraggled and dirty hen-lets snuggly nestled in my bedsheets :(.

Also, they seem to have a great affinity for roosting as high as possible. They sleep on top of the sun shades of their small fenced area (which is just for show now as being able to get on the shades, they can jump over the fence and back whenever they please.) at night and seem completely unconcerned.

Is that normal for chickens? It is raining a lot here in queensland, so there are a lot of cane toads around, and they may have seen one and been all "nope, we're sleeping up high now".

I'm not concerned about them predated upon at night as they are as big as the butcher birds that were harassing them now, but maybe something else will take a swipe at them. Looking to get a big doghouse that can be converted into a night shelter for them in their joke pen.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Birds in general, chickens included, like to roost high up. Birds higher in the pecking order get to sleep higher while poo poo birds have to sleep lower. Parrots sleeping in cages will happily sleep with their heads touching the top if they have a perch that high, and wild parrot flocks will cause an ungodly cacophony bickering over who gets the highest spot in the best tree.

Chooks love to sleep high up and will hop onto the lower branches of trees to sleep if they get locked out of the pen. Usually they are limited by their jumping power and the sturdiness of the branches. They just like sleeping high up.

E: do encourage them to sleep inside a secure pen though. Wild dogs, cats, and foxes in QLD are their main predators and love hunting sleeping chickens.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Chooks love to get high

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Chooks love to get high

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Excellent advice, I'll put some time and money into building them a proper night lockup this week then. I was sure that letting them sleep in the open air like that was a bad idea.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Chooks love to get high

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
top 5 chook sounds:

1) PERCACK (the day i found out i could trigger this by throwing a beach towel in the air was a happy day)
2) the plook-plook-plook noise a mother hen makes when she's foraging for her chix, or a roo for his hens
3) when you reach for a broody hen's eggs and she goes borrrrrk
4) teenage rooster hurr hurrs
5) this one ridiculous chicken i had that used to stand outside the kitchen door going kyahahaha, hahaha, hahahaha! for hours on end sounding exactly like an insane elderly woman having an episode

comments/suggestions welcome

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
i also like it when chooks are conversing among themselves and i imitate their noises and they look at me askance and go bopple-popple?! like i just said something really shocking in their language, which i probably did

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

It feels like madness to me to go without a chicken coop, but in Australia of all places???

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite noise is made by roosters. It's a low pitched, squeal-ly drawn-out complaint noise my mothers rooster always makes when I run to him, exclaiming the virtues of the farm adventure he is going to accompany me on for that day.

Then he gets picked up, and he comes with me to visit all the horses, maybe ride one with me. I'm sure he enjoys it as much as I do.

Additionally, are big thick yellow legs in a juvenile RIR signs of Rooster-osity? I have mine in the suburbs with me and law is gender-discriminatory as to the social acceptability of chickens.

Edit: in the suburbs there is remarkably few foxes and snakes, so a full lockup coop is less needed than elsewhere. The one they have now is protective, they can just flutter up and over whenever they feel like it into the yard proper.

Butcher birds are a dime a dozen though, and I've actually had to chase the original one off the other day because it came back for round two while i was sleeping in the hammock with the chickens sleeping on the hammock edge with me.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 7, 2018

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Eggs! We have EGGS! :derp:

Here's what we'll be setting in the ReptiPro this weekend:
9 Dark India Cornish Bantams. It would have been 10 but the one at the top got broken in shipping and was tossed out--the USPS was NOT kind to the box and the eggs weren't packaged securely enough for my liking, but oh, well! There are numerous detached aircells in these as well so we've gotta hope for the best. The one that broke I was able to crack open and it WAS fertile, so that's a good sign:

These eggs had awesome packing.
On the right, 3 Polish (the white eggs)--possible colors include buff, speckled, gold laced and silver laced (possibly some frizzled)
5 Brahma or Brahma/Heavy Breed Mixes (the big honkin' brown eggs):

8 Bantam Cochin mixes (these are the ones on the left in the picture, ignore the 'Wiggles' egg)--calico (marked CB), MilleFleur (marked MF)--possibly some frizzled!

...and 14 eggs (blue ones! green ones! one from Wiggles!) from our girls with who knows WHAT hatching. I did add one tiny bantam egg at the last minute, not in picture. Since this is the 10th anniversary of Chickam AND the hatch will happen on April Fool's Day, we wanted weird and silly lookin' chickens this year. And yes, Groot has been doing his thang so he has daddy possibilities along with Cam and Milton this year, too!

The Reptipro is fired up and preheating! Tonight I candled the eggs and marked them, what we've got are good strong eggs. I'll set a total of 39 eggs this weekend to start-- 14 of ours and 25 shipped eggs. After 10 days in the incubator I'll candle them and pull any duds. Whatever live embryos we have at that point will be our Easter hatch!

3/10 EDIT: Incubation has begun! Candling is in 10 days!

Edit: We just got done doing the Springtime worming and spraying the chickens. *shudder* Had to lay in some serious corn on the cob and diced grapes as an instant apology for grabbing them by the head to drip icky liquid into their beaks and rubbing a fingerful of gunk into their wingpits...not to mention spraying their nether regions with that cold, wet, stinky Adams Flea & Tick Mist spray. :birddrugs:

Also--Pong, our 15 year old Frizzled bantam Cochin hen who Cam sat his fat rear end on and BROKE HER (Cam, you idiot), is fine again. She spent a few weeks in the house watching TV and eating goodies while her fractured thigh bone healed. Luckily it seems that Cam has forgotten about her, since the weather is warming up and everyone is gearing up to get properly twitterpated for Spring...plus he now has Groot for rooboy competition as well as Milton the banty roo.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 11, 2018

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Eggs! We have EGGS! :derp:

Oooh! I hope a lot of those eggs hatch. Especially the Frizzles and Polish chicks! Looking forward to Chickam this year! :dance:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Re Mites, keep an eye on the leg scales, if they become really coral like, slather them with Vaseline or parafin wax/oil to suffocate the mites.

As previously mentioned, commercially available dust is good for the other mites, just make sure you zero tolerance clean all the bedding/nest boxes etc to stop any re-infestation

In other news, I got six new Australorps/ISA Brown hybrids to start farting out eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yGwZleYKmM

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 12, 2018

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Commercially available dust is fine, but if you have any naturally dusty spots, I think that's the best, if only for purely aesthetic reasons.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

What ever happened to Banjo?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Saucer Crab posted:

What ever happened to Banjo?

We had to rehome Banjo, he went to a local house where he has a small number of hens JUST for him. The new owners came over and just fell in LOVE with him, once they picked him up to pet him they never put him down again. He was happy to be snoodled. :)

:derp:WE HAVE EMBRYOS! :derp: I candled the eggs tonight and we have 15 embryos! Of those, 3 are Dark India Cornish Bantams, 7 are Bantam Cochins (with a possibility of Frizzles) and 5 are eggs from our flock--mostly larger eggs but there is one *tiny* banty egg that we added to the ReptiPro at the last minute.

Further, there are another 13 eggs that I'm *pretty* sure are duds--some have detached aircells--but I'm leaving them in the incubator for now and will recandle them in 4 days; I'll pull any duds at that time.

11 other eggs were duds for sure and I pulled those. Of the duds, three had a broken yolk (a shipped egg, likely scrambled by the USPS), one was bad (one of ours, I suspect bacteria got in through the shell), one of ours was infertile, and the rest were fertile but never developed--three (all Dark India Cornish) had detached aircells, more victims of rough handling in shipping.

Twelve days to baby chicks!!!
...or a bit less, given that there are banty eggs in there, the little buggers like to hatch at 19-20 days instead of the standard 21...

EDIT: Candled the 13 questionable eggs tonight and yup, they were all duds...except one--it's shell is dark green and difficult to candle, there MAY be a chick in there, so I left it in the ReptiPro. I pulled the duds and we are left with 16 eggs, 15 of which for sure have chicks in there! Sadly, no Polish or Brahmas developed.
One week (or a bit less for the banty eggs) to go!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 24, 2018

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We had to rehome Banjo, he went to a local house where he has a small number of hens JUST for him. The new owners came over and just fell in LOVE with him, once they picked him up to pet him they never put him down again. He was happy to be snoodled. :)
That's a lovely story.

Twelve days to baby chicks!!!
...or a bit less, given that there are banty eggs in there, the little buggers like to hatch at 19-20 days instead of the standard 21...
[/quote]
Twelve days!!!!

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Just what I was hoping to hear, thanks for the update, I'm ready to watch more chicks.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Anyone have any experience/advice on building a chicken tractor for laying hens? The chicken pen we have keeps flooding in the rain and I keep seeing designs for them around and they seem pretty cool, there’s a few designs around but I want to try to make the actual carrying frame out of something really light like pvc so my wife can comfortable move the chooks around the yard if I’m not home

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Queuing up stupid names: pets shouldn't have people names.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Wonder if any of the chickens I've named have hatched chicks.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Toaster @ 2 months.

Tater Tot Hot Dish, aka "Tater":

]

Mailbox:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

MisterOblivious posted:

Our current hens are named,
Piper, Molly, Tix and Queen Pip the Glorious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MisterOblivious posted:

Clucktumbulous Penbuck. The Third.

Baw'kfluff F'thagn, the feathery demise.

Hellcry Blacktalon, Eater of Worms.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Someone's a dwarf fortress fan!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

Toaster @ 2 months.

Tater Tot Hot Dish, aka "Tater":

]

Mailbox:

Tater *might* be a mom this year, there are several banty eggs in the incubator--! Also, Tater is acting broody and being a bossy holy terror to her daddy Milton right now. But she is VERY pretty!
Toaster has three daughters--Bowie, Kotori and Fiver, all three of which ALSO might be moms this year.
Poor Mailbox didn't make it to adulthood. :(

When it comes to eggs from our flock, we'll have to wait and see what the chicks look like when they get adult feathering to know for sure who their parents are!

I realized today that we have never had a chicken named 'Pickle' or 'Chickity China, the Chinese Chicken'. We may need to rectify that...The eggs went into lockdown today, three more days to hatch! Likely less for those damned banty eggs tho...

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Toaster has three daughters--Bowie, Kotori and Fiver, all three of which ALSO might be moms this year.

Never realized and/or forgot that Kotori came from one of your eggs. I'm happy to hear that she's doing well and will be extra excited if she gave y'all a good egg this year!

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I've missed the past couple of years or Chickam but I'm excited for this years flock. I full intend on having the stream up and running at my work so everyone can hear the peeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
As they're being born at easter, I vote for naming one either Bunny or Rabbit :colbert:.