Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Scyantific posted:

Don't worry this time we'll hit em with Cryptolocker and lock up their weapon systems :downs:

Extorting the aliens for some space bitcoins is going to be the B-plot that starts this whole invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Extorting the aliens for some space bitcoins is going to be the B-plot that starts this whole invasion.

No, that's how we beat them, we show them bitcoin and they spend all their computer cycles mining and eventually burn up from the waste heat. The part where the huge ship is wreathed in fire? That's bitcoin, baby.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

A: That is terrible music for the trailer.
B: I thought the Beastie Boys didn't licence their music for commercial use.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Star Trek looks stupid and fun in the right way that a Justin Lin movie should and sounds more like a TOS episode than the previous two movies did. Loved those and will probably love this too.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I thought the Beastie Boys didn't licence their music for commercial use.

They've been in every single one of the Pine Trek movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Surlaw posted:

They must be huge Trek fans judging by all the Star Trek references in their songs.

Also there was a theory that 'Sabotage' was used in the '09 film as a dig at William Shatner because he famously had trouble pronouncing that word.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Surlaw posted:

Star Trek looks stupid and fun in the right way that a Justin Lin movie should and sounds more like a TOS episode than the previous two movies did. Loved those and will probably love this too.

Yeah, I'm definitely down for this movie based on the trailer.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Surlaw posted:

I didn't remember that.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Awesome stunts, hot alien chicks, space explosions, what more could you want from a summer blockbuster?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Star Trek looked very "meh" to me. Looked like a Marvel movie with "Generic Bad Guy." Who are the antagonists, Cardassians? (Kardashians?)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

I didn't remember that.

Young Kirk was listening to Sabotage in his father's car before sending it down a cliff. In the second movie, another Beastie Boys song (was it Intergalactic?) was his clock alarm when he woke up with two catgirl aliens (maybe the same species as M'ress in the animated Trek).

FooF posted:

Star Trek looked very "meh" to me. Looked like a Marvel movie with "Generic Bad Guy." Who are the antagonists, Cardassians? (Kardashians?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2XOLoeBPEk

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mulva posted:

Awesome stunts, hot alien chicks, space explosions, what more could you want from a summer blockbuster?

Let's not forget about the pun-overload that will be the Michael Giacchino soundtrack.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look up a tracklisting for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It is some of his finest work.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FooF posted:

It's Idris Elba playing a new character, I'm down for that.

Mierenneuker posted:

Let's not forget about the pun-overload that will be the Michael Giacchino soundtrack.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look up a tracklisting for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It is some of his finest work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes#Soundtrack
Goddamit :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 14, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Deakul posted:

What the hell did they do this franchise?
:lol: YES yes! I'm drinking this up. I'm going to show this to my one (I only allow one) Trekkie friend and drink up her delicious agony as she realizes the series has become Sci-Fi Fast and Furious. Awesome.

WOAH CHECK IT OUT BRO

THE NEW STAR TREK LOOKS FLIPPIN' RAD

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

commy gun posted:

Just a reminder that Jeff Goldblum bested the aliens by giving them malware so if they upgraded to McAfee platinum or something earth is hosed.

edit: I'm suddenly ashamed I'm making anti-virus jokes, I'm better than this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Please God give over control of the Marvel Cinematic Universe to Justin Lin.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

TheFallenEvincar posted:

:lol: YES yes! I'm drinking this up. I'm going to show this to my one (I only allow one) Trekkie friend and drink up her delicious agony as she realizes the series has become Sci-Fi Fast and Furious. Awesome.

WOAH CHECK IT OUT BRO

It's been a series of loud, bombastic action movies since the mid-90's, people have no excuse to still be surprised.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Surlaw posted:

It's been a series of loud, bombastic action movies since the mid-90's, people have no excuse to still be surprised.
I don't think it's so much about surprise as rubbing salt in old wounds. That's a good point though, I'll make sure to point out to her that at this point in the series this is more Star Trek than TNG. :)

Vintersorg posted:

Eat poo poo Trekkies if you dislike that trailer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress yah, new Trek looks awesome. This summer is gonna own.

Eat poo poo Trekkies if you dislike that trailer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What I like is that it's not just a Star Trek trailer with Sabotage playing; it's a trailer that you know is for Star Trek because Sabotage is playing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

WOAH CHECK IT OUT BRO

You sound like an excellent friend, since you're so interested in "drinking up delicious agony" of a friend, and definitely not insufferable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You sound like an excellent friend, since you're so interested in "drinking up delicious agony" of a friend, and definitely not insufferable.
Thank you.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
They're making Star Trek movies? I hadn't noticed because STAR WARS STARWARSTSTARWARSSTARWARSSTARWARSSTARWARSSTARWARSSTAR

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

People who hardcore identify with their entertainment choices deserve this kind of agony: ie. Trekkies, Star Wars fans, Middle Earth people, Dr.Who people.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

People who hardcore identify with their entertainment choices deserve this kind of agony: ie. Trekkies, Star Wars fans, Middle Earth people, Dr.Who people.

I feel like a lot of these people crossover. Like Firefly fans are just Star Wars fans in cowboy gear.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teaser trailer for High-Rise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRBeZGYisLg
As you can probably guess, things don't stay so peachy keen.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Vintersorg posted:

The Star Trek movie thread's pretty funny/sad right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kiimo posted:

I feel like a lot of these people crossover. Like Firefly fans are just Star Wars fans in cowboy gear.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Good trailer. Color me interested.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

The guy who did Kill List, eh? Based off what I'm seeing about the novel, I'm expecting something akin to Snowpiercer, and that's okay by me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

So psyched for this

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

I was kinda hoping for a Die Hard reboot there for a second.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Finally!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming there's some rejiggering of the story to make Tom Hiddleston's character the main one all the way through. In the book he kind of trades off with Luke Evans' character for the middle section.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I'm assuming there's some rejiggering of the story to make Tom Hiddleston's character the main one all the way through. In the book he kind of trades off with Luke Evans' character for the middle section.

It would be way more interesting if they left in the trade off, but you are probably correct; modern film audiences might not be able to understand that kind of transition.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The use of Sabotage has got to be the worst choice for a trailer in a long time. Absolutely tone-deaf (and I don't care that it's a reference to previous Trek stuff). Maybe worse than San Andreas. Definitely worse than San Andreas.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Actually, it's great.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Actually, it's great.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jewmanji posted:

The use of Sabotage has got to be the worst choice for a trailer in a long time. Absolutely tone-deaf (and I don't care that it's a reference to previous Trek stuff). Maybe worse than San Andreas. Definitely worse than San Andreas.

Dont be such a sourpuss poster Jewmanji.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

Actually, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jewmanji posted:

No.

• Locked thread