Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Tae posted:

Apparently the Tokiden steam is the worst Koei port yet by far. And it's the vita port, not the PS4. How do you gently caress up so bad when your DW games work perfectly smooth.

The DW8 games didn't work perfectly smooth on release. They were really broken when they came out for a lot of people.

Here's what TB has to say about it, if anyone cares and I agree with a lot of what he has to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pD0S2ux6go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waitaminute, are the Tatara blacksmith inventory limit quests broken in Toukiden PC?

I've got multiple of them done but my inventory limit hasn't changed at all.

This is really bad.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Waitaminute, are the Tatara blacksmith inventory limit quests broken in Toukiden PC?

I've got multiple of them done but my inventory limit hasn't changed at all.

This is really bad.

I just came here to give out a warning about this. Yeah, apparently they botched the quests or something and the limit won't upgrade at all. Which makes things uh. Kinda unplayable. Apparently the people who did the port job are aware of it now, but evidently the developers aren't there for the weekend, so wait until Monday at the absolute earliest for a fix.

This is pretty lovely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did they make the new version of Bladestorm even easier? :psyduck: Like I don't even need to change squads anymore just steamroll over everything while the game throws ludicrous amounts of XP and SP at you.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Try using the station feature. It utterly breaks the game in half.

Tae posted:

Apparently the Tokiden steam is the worst Koei port yet by far. And it's the vita port, not the PS4. How do you gently caress up so bad when your DW games work perfectly smooth.

It's probably the same reason they use the PS3 ports for DW8: Chinese toaster computers and internet cafes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
But the problem with the Tokiden port is that it runs lovely even on good computers. Like literally 20 FPS in the village at all times.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Did they make the new version of Bladestorm even easier? :psyduck: Like I don't even need to change squads anymore just steamroll over everything while the game throws ludicrous amounts of XP and SP at you.

greatsword -> damage buff -> sword wave

unstoppable

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can you turn up the difficulty in Bladestorm when you feel it's getting to easy or does the pain train keep rolling down hill once you've got it moving?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no difficulty setting for the original campaign, Nightmare mode does have the usual Easy, Normal, Hard options when you first start but it doesn't look like you can change at all them after that.

Also just got to the point where you can have a second squad but it looks like an annoying grind because all their books start at level 1 again. Buying a whole other set of equipment for them is a pain too.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 28, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Someone mentioned there's a feature where you can make a whole bunch of created characters and then turn them loose to gain levels and such on their own, which brings in a wealth of resources. Could help with that?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, Station, apparently it breaks the game even more, so probably!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, Station will leave you rolling in SP and cash, especially during the occasional 'Expect better results' timed events.

Even in the base game you could reach a point where you were functionally unstoppable no matter which unit (ahem poleswords) but now it's doable so much sooner.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, Samurai warriors chronicles 3 is coming out in a few days. Anyone know what the differences are between it and the Chronicles mode in 4?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought the EU version last week but haven't put much time in to it. Basically it's very similar only with a structured story mode rather than just wandering around the map. The story stages are linear but with alternate stages available if you get certain characters friendship levels up high enough kind of like WO3. Otherwise it's not much different to SW4, you get up to four characters to switch between and Hero Moves which are a bit like the Stratagems from Empires games, also there's a DW:G style dash move that breaks people's guards that I don't remember being in other games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Is there any kind of SW4 to SWC3 save data transfer? Like some kind of bonus for having SW4 or maybe some data carryover or is it entirely standalone?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As far as I know it's completely standalone, however I played the PS4 version of SW4 so I can't be 100% sure.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Hopefully SWC3 is better than the first game was. Chronicles 1 is kinda awful, since there's generally more officers on screen than generic soldiers, and the difficulty curve is kinda hosed up. It doens't help that half of the missions are extremely difficult on Medium difficulty unless you grind a lot, and the Combo or KO based missions might as well fail instantly because I'm sure as hell not getting 100ko's in 2 minutes when there's maybe 5 soldiers on screen at a time.

edit: also it probably doesn't have import features, since it's 3DS/Vita exclusive.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 29, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a lot easier than the first Chronicle since it's not trying to make up for the fact that there's about five enemies on screen at once (at least on Vita). There's still some bullshit Missions that you've no hope of getting unless you know about them in advance and have a character way higher level than you would normally have first time.

Fair warning though, I got the game to hard lock just by scrolling through the available armour crests too quickly. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I sort of take back what I said about SWC3 difficulty, just had to fight a retreating battle where you were constantly fighting in high morale areas and everyone died apart from my CAW.
Still not as hard as the first one though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Koei fixed the Toukiden inventory upgrade bug pretty quickly. So I guess it must've been a really minor oversight.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven't played Chronicle mode yet in SW4, but I sold off the game earlier this year. I am wondering if I want to get this new game or just rebuy 4.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 30, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Koei fixed the Toukiden inventory upgrade bug pretty quickly. So I guess it must've been a really minor oversight.

Did they fix everything else

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You already know the answer to that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

They might fix issues regarding hardware vsync and poo poo, but anyone expecting them to "fix" the 30 fps is probably poo poo outta luck. It's practically hard-coded into the game.

As I don't get eyecancer from 30 fps like some people, I've been playing it and it's like... It's fine, I suppose. It's no Monster Hunter, but it's a fair enough approximation, just kind of annoyed at how samey the weapons are, statistically. I have like three different earth-elemental spears by Chapter 4 and the only difference between them is very minor amounts of damage and elemental damage. And the armor is kinda weirdly balanced and samey, again, statistically. I do like how the weapons and armor look, VISUALLY. I am particularly a fan of how every weapon upgrade is at least a recolor, makes for a nice little extra.

I may or may not just be trying to justify spending 60 bucks on this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unlucky7 posted:

I haven't played Chronicle mode yet in SW4, but I sold off the game earlier this year. I am wondering if I want to get this new game or just rebuy 4.

Chronicles 3 is more about taking your CAW through the actual historical battles rather than the more random nature of SW4 chronicle mode. If that doesn't appeal there's not really much to choose between them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm liking Toukiden thus far, am at the front end of Chapter 5 solo and in Phase 5 multiplayer with friends. One of us has Win 8.1 so he's had the bulk of the technical difficulties, but it's led to some rare but hilarious moments where his slowdown causes our games to sync weirdly. By "weirdly" I mean one of my charged Explosive shots will hit a monster like ten or twenty times for every shot, killing large mons in under a minute.

Not great for all-break runs since the monster tends to die right before the last body part explodes, but it's hilarious when it happens. And we absolutely do notice when it happens because the monster will start staggering repeatedly like it's having a seizure, dropping limbs and horns all over the place.

Really digging the aesthetics, but yes it's no Monster Hunter.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Sakurazuka posted:

Chronicles 3 is more about taking your CAW through the actual historical battles rather than the more random nature of SW4 chronicle mode. If that doesn't appeal there's not really much to choose between them.
SW4 chronicle mode is about most of the famous officers hitting on your CAW, Kiyomasa raising puppies, and Ginchiyo orgasming over mochi.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm liking Toukiden thus far, am at the front end of Chapter 5 solo and in Phase 5 multiplayer with friends. One of us has Win 8.1 so he's had the bulk of the technical difficulties, but it's led to some rare but hilarious moments where his slowdown causes our games to sync weirdly. By "weirdly" I mean one of my charged Explosive shots will hit a monster like ten or twenty times for every shot, killing large mons in under a minute.

Not great for all-break runs since the monster tends to die right before the last body part explodes, but it's hilarious when it happens. And we absolutely do notice when it happens because the monster will start staggering repeatedly like it's having a seizure, dropping limbs and horns all over the place.

Really digging the aesthetics, but yes it's no Monster Hunter.

How IS the multiplayer anyways? I couldn't convince any of my friends to drop 60 bucks on it, so I've just been playing the main campaign. Same deal as Monster Hunter, I assume, where it's a different progression?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

grrarg posted:

SW4 chronicle mode is about most of the famous officers hitting on your CAW, Kiyomasa raising puppies, and Ginchiyo orgasming over mochi.

You forgot a very important one

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

How IS the multiplayer anyways? I couldn't convince any of my friends to drop 60 bucks on it, so I've just been playing the main campaign. Same deal as Monster Hunter, I assume, where it's a different progression?

Yup, basically the same. The only real difference is that you can't go to town while in a lobby, unlike MH. Which makes tending to your Tenko, Guardian Tree, and checking out the blacksmith less convenient than it ought to be. It's a pretty glaring oversight, but we manage. Progression through multiplayer is lightning fast, too, because the singleplayer campaign has a story and stuff to sit through. In multiplayer, you just bumrush the red key missions and unlock the next phase.

I think it might be possible to solo your way through the normal/low-rank chunk of multiplayer, since the NPCs are all reasonably bright and well-equipped.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Really though the lobby system is incredibly bad but if you can put up with it, I'm Xarbala on Steam.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, I didn't realize that Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 was in English this time. Maybe I'll get it at some point, but September's gonna have English Nobunaga's Ambition and SW4-II so I think I'm booked full for the Sengoku period.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm so excited to see Nobunaga's Ambition coming back, what made it sweeter was the 1-2 punch of Nobunaga and the announcement of a new officer-based RoTK. I love you Koei.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Policenaut posted:

I'm so excited to see Nobunaga's Ambition coming back, what made it sweeter was the 1-2 punch of Nobunaga and the announcement of a new officer-based RoTK. I love you Koei.

Oh poo poo, really?

Where's this?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Koei Tecmo Japan announced Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII shortly after USA announced Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. The wording they're using on their website and the screenshots suggest this is the first officer-based game since X which came out 11 years ago.

I was going to buy Nobunaga anyway, but knowing that we might get another RoTK in the future gets me very excited.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ah, Chronicles' Red Zones. How I've missed you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

That Arslan thing has a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK57YX6CKaQ

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I keep wanting to read the name as Arse-land. Also, that pink-haired Edward (from Full Metal Alchemist) looks like Sakura (from Naruto) in the thumbnail.

Are those 4 dudes the only playable characters?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

PureRok posted:

I keep wanting to read the name as Arse-land.

I mean, that's how the narrator's saying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

PureRok posted:

I keep wanting to read the name as Arse-land. Also, that pink-haired Edward (from Full Metal Alchemist) looks like Sakura (from Naruto) in the thumbnail.

Are those 4 dudes the only playable characters?

there's more obviously playable characters in the anime so far including a priestess who uses bows, a bearded guy who uses double swords, a barbarian girl who uses knives and a guy with a huge sword. also a bunch of western knight looking dudes i'm sure will play a bigger role later on and thus be playable. also hinted so far: indians with elephants, which should make for fun levels