Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Cheesus posted:

Are 8 month-olds supposed to poop more than once a day? Only rarely do we get a second poop a day out of him.

He's formula fed, so he's not getting any laxative effect from breast milk. But he also doesn't have any constipation-related complaints.

There's a wide-range of normal. As long as he is regular for himself and the consistency of the bowel movement is normal then he's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treman
Nov 12, 2008

Reason posted:

Ugh my two year old is in this stage where every loving thing is the opposite of what I say. My patience is pretty much zero all the time. Anyone got articles or anything about this poo poo? Every single loving thing is a huge fight or argument even simple poo poo and I've just about lost my mind.

When my kid did this, i noticed that it was mostly because he requires some time to accept a change. So if he's actively doing something at the moment, give him/her finish up, and prepare for what will come. And promote good behaviour. We have a system for when he behaves well, he gets a gold star. When he has a sufficient number (at the end of the starmap), he gets to choose something we do, or sometimes we buy him something inexpensive of his choosing. But yeah, 2 years can be a frustrating time. Suck it up and try to be a good example by being calm and fair, and it will change over time. They basically mimic what you do, so if you get angry about everything, they will think that this is the appropriate approach to handling any situation.

Treman fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 15, 2016

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
For pooping problems, we've generally had good success with prunes.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

Reason posted:

Ugh my two year old is in this stage where every loving thing is the opposite of what I say. My patience is pretty much zero all the time. Anyone got articles or anything about this poo poo? Every single loving thing is a huge fight or argument even simple poo poo and I've just about lost my mind.

So much this! I'd forgotten how extreme everything is for a two year old - mine is either riding high on life or in the depths of despair; there is no in-between.

Like Tom Swift Jr, I'm dealing with it by picking my battles. So, for example, I will have the fight with her about cleaning teeth but if she wants to wear a summer dress to preschool even though it's winter here and everyone else is in hats and coats? Meh, I'll make sure she knows there's warm stuff in her bag. I don't have the energy or sanity to make her do everything my way.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Re: picking your battles - A tip I've found really helpful is to pause and think properly about whatever weird-rear end toddler request comes up before saying no. It's incredibly frustrating when you end up in a battle of wills with a two year old because you reflexively said no to something that you realise belatedly isn't that big of a deal.

I've got no helpful advice on any other frustrating aspect of toddler tantrums - this evening's bedtime routine turned into a massive screamfest because my daughter wasn't allowed to bite me when she was pretending to be the Hulk.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Toddler: said while rubbing his belly "I'm hungry"
Me: "Ok! Lets go eat something."
Toddler: begins to rage "I don't WANT to EAT!"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sockmuppet posted:

Re: picking your battles - A tip I've found really helpful is to pause and think properly about whatever weird-rear end toddler request comes up before saying no. It's incredibly frustrating when you end up in a battle of wills with a two year old because you reflexively said no to something that you realise belatedly isn't that big of a deal.

I've got no helpful advice on any other frustrating aspect of toddler tantrums - this evening's bedtime routine turned into a massive screamfest because my daughter wasn't allowed to bite me when she was pretending to be the Hulk.

but... didn't you explain to her that it's "HULK SMASH, and not HULK BITE"!?!?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Turns out the baby decided to be allergic to peanuts and potentially (some kind of) nuts. Is there a thread about such things?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Could be worse- my goddaughter is allergic to corn. Try to find a kid-friendly food these days that doesn't have corn, corn meal, corn syrup, or corn starch in it, I dare you.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Alterian posted:

Toddler: said while rubbing his belly "I'm hungry"
Me: "Ok! Lets go eat something."
Toddler: begins to rage "I don't WANT to EAT!"

We talk about feelings and expressing emotions and how its ok. We had this exchange today:

Me: "I'm sad"
Toddler: "You're not sad. You're my best friend!"
Me: :kimchi:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Marchegiana posted:

Could be worse- my goddaughter is allergic to corn. Try to find a kid-friendly food these days that doesn't have corn, corn meal, corn syrup, or corn starch in it, I dare you.

How about cooking things? Or, I don't know, most foods? Not trying to be rude, I just imagine that actually being a pretty easy allergy to handle in general?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Marchegiana posted:

I can't think of anything I've given my son over the last couple of days that could have even possibly had corn in it.

Aside from the actual corn, of course.

I dunno, I've heard people say the same thing I guess my family just doesn't lean corn-wards taste-wise, at least not anymore.

Looking through the fridge, the only thing with corn as an ingredient seems to be my veggie patties.

Nuts would be way tough for us, though. We're crazy for nuts, and we have tons of things with nuts in the ingredient list, and I've heard it can trigger based on airborne byproducts which would be terrifying.

Speaking of food, I assume the whole "wants food, puts food in mouth, chews food, opens mouth and lets it fall out, asks for more" thing is not terribly uncommon? Mine likes doing that for foods he sees us eating but doesn't actually like, like peanut butter. Should we keep giving it to him and hoping he gets a taste for it and just accept the inevitable "bleh", or should we stop giving it to him since he doesn't even really want it anyway.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 17, 2016

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

How about cooking things? Or, I don't know, most foods? Not trying to be rude, I just imagine that actually being a pretty easy allergy to handle in general?

My friend's wife and one of their kids has a corn allergy. It's. In. Everything. Not just food. They discovered that Febreze had some sort of corn derivative. Something simple like graham crackers can be a pain in the rear end (Honey Maid for the win!). They claim a lot of stuff you don't even think twice about has hidden corn. Something to do with the processing.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

topenga posted:

My friend's wife and one of their kids has a corn allergy. It's. In. Everything. Not just food. They discovered that Febreze had some sort of corn derivative. Something simple like graham crackers can be a pain in the rear end (Honey Maid for the win!). They claim a lot of stuff you don't even think twice about has hidden corn. Something to do with the processing.

I got a notice from Amazon that some treat we bought had a previously unknown amount of peanut-exposed flour, so they had to do an entire recall of several products. We have no allergies so I'm just going to let the kids enjoy, but considering how specific that recall is makes me realize how terribly I would handle a food allergy in my family.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Having a corn allergy would make it impossible to eat out almost anywhere in the US. Corn syrup manages to find itself it a lot of places.

Having to make sure you cook everything yourself can get tiring. Sometimes you just need a day where you throw pre-made food at your kids.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I wasn't trying to start a competition where we judge which allergies are the worst, most of them are a pain in the butt and all have their own challenges. Processed food means that anything can be in everything nowaday, quite often ridiculous stuff gets into food you would never imagine. I can see how corn could be a bitch in the US since you guys seem to love using corn as sugar and also like to put sugar in everything.

We didn't care all that much about the peanut allergy because it's relatively easy to find stuff with no trace of peanuts in them (but I hated the fact that eating out, even at friends or family members would be a chore), but nuts on the other hand are a real bitch. So many things have "may contain trace of nuts" in them. Also, he's probably not allergic to almonds (he ate a lot of almond butter and never reacted until we gave him a paste of mixed nuts in his cereals). But try finding stupid almonds that have no trace of other nuts. I've read that a lot of people buy almonds in shells, clean them and then split them and then eat them. So I guess we might still be able to eat some kinds of nut if we're ok with doing 2 hours nut parties to get some almonds for the week. Only good thing is he won't be able to eat sugary junk because all candies have either nuts or peanuts in them.

Anyway, it's not too bad for when we're at home because we already cook 90% of what we eat, but never bringing him to thai restaurants and being scared anytime we go to the restaurant with him is going to suck. Also going to the Xmas family reunions and not trusting everyone to have checked everything is going to suck. We also love to travel and this is going to make it a lot harder to do with the kid which sucks. Basically a lot of things I love doing now have an added element of stress

So I'm guessing there is no allergy thread that you guys know about. Too bad since most of what I can find outside of SA is half full of people who are WAY more paranoid than I'll ever be and/or people with kids who are litteraly allergic to 16 different foods. So happy Charles isn't like that :| dealing with those two is enough

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 17, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Nora is allergic to peanuts too! No need for an allergy thread really when I think it can be contained here.

She wasn't allergic at first and we started giving her peanut products to make sure it stayed that way but she, nevertheless, developed the allergy. Luckily it's not severe so far... just a hive-y rash. But unfortunately it's one of those allergies that can get severe without prior precedent.

One ray of hope is that our allergy doc was talking about how the peanut industry is making huge strides in producing allergen free peanuts that will eventually replace all peanuts in our day to day life. So that's good!

Also anything made with hot pressed peanut oil is usually just fine... peanut allergy kids mostly have to watch out of cold pressed peanut oil products which, I think, typically are within the "organic" trend of products lately.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Re: corn allergy, obviously cooking at home is the best, but like Alterian said sometimes you just want a break and it's really hard to eat out anywhere without corn products sneaking in. This also means said goddaughter has a super hard time at places away from home like vacations; or even school because anytime there's a party or special occasion they usually do cupcakes (icing has corn starch) and soda or punch (corn syrup galore) and it sucks being seven and having to sit out from a class party.

But yeah, I didn't mean to start a " my dick is bigger allergy is worse" competition, just to say that food allergies of all stripes suck and it's really hard to accommodate them for kids without going insane, because everyone else is typically either clueless or outright hostile about it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I went to my father-in-law's retirement party tonight, and the only question people could think to ask me was "So, how's work going?"

I haven't had an office job in 6 years, I stay-at-home with three little kids ages 5, 3 & 2. I tell myself every day that my work is valuable, I am shaping human beings and making sure the house is livable. So why does one innocent question burn right into me?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

bilabial trill posted:

Seconding the No Cry Sleep solution. We got a lot of help from that book!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Gabriel is getting super hot in his car seat (keyfit 30) and we want to get something to cool him down. The stuff I found on Amazon was 50/50 on if it worked with the seat so I need recommendations. Help?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Noggle

http://www.nogglenation.com/Rear-Facing_c_16.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well Nora's staph infection came back in the same place (near her rectum) that required hospitalization last time. We were hoping we caught it early so we got some antibiotics called in (Bactrim - a sulfa drug) that she was on last time. Nora was actually totally normal so we were sure we got it in time.

Only she had an allergic reaction to Bactrim. We woke her up the morning after her first dose (which was in the evening) and she had full on puked ( a first) and was red all over and shaking. So our pediatrician saw us after hours and switched us to clindamycin as well as checking for other side effects - with the big one to watch out for being development of Stevens-Johnson syndrome.

I spent all day yesterday basically in a full blown panic attack (well, inwardly - outwardly I was keeping a good face on).

So now we're on Clindamycin three times a day and it's another week at home keeping an eye on her.

Sometimes my heart can't take being a parent :(.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So it turns out the wife doesn't have more fluid buildup, but actually has a bad hernia. We know this because she finally, after a year and a half of being dicked around, switched to a new doctor, and it took roughly 3 days after seeing him to figure out what the most likely cause was and we should have a surgery scheduled soonish.

It's unknown yet whether it's a direct result of the pregnancy, the c-section, or the complications afterwards, and I don't suppose it matters, but it explains the pain she's been in for the last year that's made simple tasks like "picking up the baby" so painful.

She's really upset now, because apparently the common treatment is also something that makes further pregnancies... not recommended.

But at least we might finally get this resolved.

Not the best news after a week of a rather feverish baby and a night of essentially no sleep because he keeps waking up every 20 minutes. At least his fever is gone today so we were able to leave him at daycare while she was at the doctors.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

My 1yo has two new devastating attacks:

1. when I am holding him to sleep he starts saying DA DA DA DA DA to melt my heart
2. I winked at him and he put great effort into blinking and it's so cute that he thinks he's winking and he's not!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

kaschei posted:

2. I winked at him and he put great effort into blinking and it's so cute that he thinks he's winking and he's not!

This sounds incredibly adorable.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

At some point today, each of my three small children have screamed in my ear. They were trying to be adorable, they were instead excruciatingly annoying and I sit here nursing a miserable headache while my husband takes care of every nighttime chore and gets these kids to bed.

Some days are better than others...

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

VorpalBunny posted:

I went to my father-in-law's retirement party tonight, and the only question people could think to ask me was "So, how's work going?"

I haven't had an office job in 6 years, I stay-at-home with three little kids ages 5, 3 & 2. I tell myself every day that my work is valuable, I am shaping human beings and making sure the house is livable. So why does one innocent question burn right into me?

Was he trying to get under your skin or had he really forgotten? Either way, your work is valuable. Next time he pulls that question out you gotta be ready with an answer - just tell him it's going great and give him updates on the kids, and what it's like to be home with them all day.

I can't speak for you, but speaking for myself, if a dig/question like that really gets to me it's because I feel insecure about it. You shouldn't feel insecure about being a stay-at-home parent, it's a hard, important, and often thankless job.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
We are throwing my daughter her first proper birthday party with friends this weekend! (oh god oh god oh god help) She's turning three, and we're inviting her peer group from kindergarten to a nearby park with a small practice lane for toddler bikes, as well as a couple of playgrounds. Anyone have any ideas or tips for games/activities that are simple and fun for six 3-4 year olds (who will each have a parent along)? I've never done this before, and I'm drawing a total blank on what on earth you do with a bunch of small children. I'm sure they can entertain themselves most of the two hours we've set aside for the party, but I'd like to have one or two slightly organised activities for them.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

I feel like that too, I think it's a society thing, the sense that peoples worth is intrinsically tied in with their salary. It probably is an insecurity thing like Seaniqua says - I don't have any advice but just to let you know that you're not alone :)

Sockmuppet posted:

We are throwing my daughter her first proper birthday party with friends this weekend! (oh god oh god oh god help) She's turning three, and we're inviting her peer group from kindergarten to a nearby park with a small practice lane for toddler bikes, as well as a couple of playgrounds. Anyone have any ideas or tips for games/activities that are simple and fun for six 3-4 year olds (who will each have a parent along)? I've never done this before, and I'm drawing a total blank on what on earth you do with a bunch of small children. I'm sure they can entertain themselves most of the two hours we've set aside for the party, but I'd like to have one or two slightly organised activities for them.

I had a party for our younger boy for his birthday this year, they seemed happiest when they were running around shrieking. When we had the party my kid was in the middle of not being able to cope at all with any kind of competitive game without having a screaming meltdown so we avoided anything like that but if your daughter is less of a drama queen then musical bump is always fun, duck duck goose and if you can get a parachute then there's games you can play with that. http://www.playparachutes.com/pagaac.html

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Irritated Goat posted:

Gabriel is getting super hot in his car seat (keyfit 30) and we want to get something to cool him down. The stuff I found on Amazon was 50/50 on if it worked with the seat so I need recommendations. Help?

I had no idea these existed, and don't need them so haven't tried them, but friends swear by "cooling towels" from Active 8, Activcool, Mission EnduraCool. If you Google them or check on Amazon, you can find good deals. I'm sorry, I don't know how old your son is--mine just turned 3 on the 17th (WHATTTTT?) so he's old enough to be trusted to not strangle himself with a towel, but I've never had to use one with him. Yet. We're in New England so while it gets hot the AC in the car is fine.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

What part of the world are we talking - is it hot and summery where you are? Off the top of my head, for summer parties:

water balloons!
bubbles
a big parachute to hold in a circle and float up and down
big plasticy balls to kick around and throw to each other
kids that young can still do a pinata, filled with bubbles and little frisbees and spyglasses and stuff is better then candy

I'll probably think of a few more. These aren't very hard to handle, just the water balloons need to be filled up before the party. The parachute might be hard to come by, they can be pricey at educational stores.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Ooo, water balloons! I hadn't even thought about water balloons!

We're in Norway, so the weather is kind of unpredictable - if we're lucky, it'll be nice, warm t-shirt weather, or it might cloud over or even rain a bit. We'll go inside if it gets too bad.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We got squirt guns for our kids, they mainly seem to use them as waterbottles. Only my fiance and I seemed to use them to shoot at each other.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Sockmuppet posted:

Ooo, water balloons! I hadn't even thought about water balloons!

We're in Norway, so the weather is kind of unpredictable - if we're lucky, it'll be nice, warm t-shirt weather, or it might cloud over or even rain a bit. We'll go inside if it gets too bad.

If you (or anyone else) goes the water balloon route, I highly recommend this: Bunch O Balloons.

We just had my son's 2nd birthday party and someone just happened to grab a pack (it was just the balloons, not the Jai Alai thing) and it is seriously amazing. 30-50 water balloons all ready in a minute, no tying off required. I would suggest you get something to catch them once filled because they tend to pop on nearly anything they land on.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thwomp posted:

If you (or anyone else) goes the water balloon route, I highly recommend this: Bunch O Balloons.

We just had my son's 2nd birthday party and someone just happened to grab a pack (it was just the balloons, not the Jai Alai thing) and it is seriously amazing. 30-50 water balloons all ready in a minute, no tying off required. I would suggest you get something to catch them once filled because they tend to pop on nearly anything they land on.

My mom got something similar when we visited and the balloons wouldn't pop and were hard as gently caress to get hit with.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Anyone else think the ones with food coloring added is just the worst loving idea ever?

http://www.colorburstballoons.com/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

topenga posted:

Anyone else think the ones with food coloring added is just the worst loving idea ever?

http://www.colorburstballoons.com/

yeah I mean at that point just go to paint.

I went to a birthday party as a kid with paint balloons, it was amazing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alterian posted:

My mom got something similar when we visited and the balloons wouldn't pop and were hard as gently caress to get hit with.

Huh, I was at a party a couple of weeks ago and the kids had the ones linked and they popped just fine. The kids loving loved them.

lovely mess to clean up afterwards though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Its possible my mom had a crappy off-brand one