Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Saltin posted:

Shares were $61.79 on Dec 31st 2010, which is the highest they've ever been. I'm talking about common shares here - TCK.B, which is what gets traded in volume on the exchange. The reason they were so high is that they were printing money due to the Fording acquisition (met coal contracts were at or approaching $300/ton).

It was above $80 in 2005 or 2006, can't remember which, but I may be forgetting about a split that happened after that. I remember this specifically because I was intimately involved in the whole Falconbridge / Inco series of transactions and know TD and a syndicate tried to do an overnight marketed financing in the high 70s to try to help Teck increase its bid for Inco.

Fakeedit: found a source I can read on my phone and they did in fact have a split of the Class B shares in 2007, so you're right, my bad. I'm not sure why I forgot that they had recovered so much by 2010 (however briefly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baudin posted:

e: you should check out Edmonton around 2 am when all the snow removal crews are out to remove tons of snow from the middle of the streets.

My word, they actually remove the snow instead of pushing it around (or, on some streets, just leaving it) and then waiting for it to melt? Could you get them to share this fascinating new process with the City of Calgary?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PT6A posted:

My word, they actually remove the snow instead of pushing it around (or, on some streets, just leaving it) and then waiting for it to melt? Could you get them to share this fascinating new process with the City of Calgary?

They used to just push it around, but some bright spark with the city admin (I doubt this is the case) came up with the idea of magically lifting the snow using some form of magic [possibly a machine (or three) that breaks down constantly] to put snow into trucks.

We now have a gigantic pile of snow located somewhere outside of the city - I can't recall exactly where. My wife works night shifts sometimes and definitely notices the late night plowing out in the park

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baudin posted:

They used to just push it around, but some bright spark with the city admin (I doubt this is the case) came up with the idea of magically lifting the snow using some form of magic [possibly a machine (or three) that breaks down constantly] to put snow into trucks.

We now have a gigantic pile of snow located somewhere outside of the city - I can't recall exactly where. My wife works night shifts sometimes and definitely notices the late night plowing out in the park

And, if cars should happen to be in the way, is there some form of magic conveyance that will move them out of the way? We've come close to doing this for a few years when a "snow event" is declared (about twice a year) but everyone's so concerned about what people might say if their car gets towed that we simply give out tickets or warnings and wring our hands about it, because god forbid we could even plow the streets properly.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle21868695/

quote:

Jacques Marion still doesn’t know where all the money went. But somehow, he and his wife racked up $75,000 in credit card debt and borrowed another $70,000 on a line of credit.

“It’s easy to make purchases when you don’t have to pay right away,” Mr. Marion, now 63-years-old and retired in Bathurst, N.B., said. “Everything is tempting.”

gently caress YOU AND DIE

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Looks like we agree on something. A sign of the apocalypse?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PT6A posted:

And, if cars should happen to be in the way, is there some form of magic conveyance that will move them out of the way? We've come close to doing this for a few years when a "snow event" is declared (about twice a year) but everyone's so concerned about what people might say if their car gets towed that we simply give out tickets or warnings and wring our hands about it, because god forbid we could even plow the streets properly.

Cars get towed - you don't like it? Don't park along the street when there's warning signs everywhere about how you're going to get towed. The back alley ways where I live turn into a clusterfuck but it's extremely worth it.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Baudin posted:

Winnipeg has four of these piles. They persist until August.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus, maybe humans shouldn't live in places that get that much snow.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

quote:

The Marions don’t regret helping their children through school. They are fortunate that their federal pensions leave them with only $10,000 less than their net pre-retirement income. So although they have been retired for several years, they are able to keep repaying their debt.

they aren't hosed and will probably live long and prosper in their bungalow, sorry to say

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

PT6A posted:

Lol it's hilarious to contrast this with how Montreal deals with cars that are impeding snow removal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Lol it's hilarious to contrast this with how Montreal deals with cars that are impeding snow removal.

I know. It was magical to watch when I lived there... Chinooks have made us lazy assholes here in Calgary.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Do they just cover them in snow? Because sometimes that happens here too. I'd hate to have to dig out a small car under a large mound of very hard packed snow.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Baudin posted:

Do they just cover them in snow? Because sometimes that happens here too. I'd hate to have to dig out a small car under a large mound of very hard packed snow.

If they're feeling very generous, the tow truck will sound a siren for a few seconds to wake you and your neighbor up. If they don't see a front door open inside of a minute, your car's on it's way to Wherever The gently caress We Feel Like Dropping It Off, and you now owe the city $90.

If they're not feeling generous they don't sound the siren.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I imagine this playing out like a sitcom. Getting called into the bank one day, told their statements are overdue, a confused look passes between husband and wife "we...have to pay it back?". :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So when a truck plows snow it isn't actually like harvesting the snow into a dump truck it's just pushing the snow out the way, creating a huge wall of snow where cars park? How are sidewalks dealt with? I assume with that much snow it's more than "toss a bit of salt out the night before". I guess it's a bit of both because even in Victoria I remember seeing a few huge snow mountains they made after the big snow storm. It seems like if you have a city in a place with snow off-street parking becomes pretty important otherwise cars will be covered in snow mountains or scraped to poo poo by the plow.

If you have a road without parking where does the snow go? Onto the sidewalk? Where do people walk?

Is useless poo poo like front yards and setbacks just places to store snow in the winter?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 10, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Cities have these huge blowers that throw the snow into trucks, it's then taken to the city snow dump. They also have tiny little plows mounted on some sort of track driven buggy to clear sidewalks and pathways, those just push snow out of the way.

Then you have regular pick-up trucks with a blade on them that are used by private contractors to clear driveways and whatnot. Those just push the snow away.

Rime posted:

The average annual snowfall for Windsor is a piddly 50 inches over 44 days. I stand by my statement that when faced with 3-4 feet of snowfall in two days, most Canadians would have a panic attack and act like Floridians. :colbert:

Quebec gets 119 over 70 odd days, Montreal gets 82 inches over 59 days. Nowhere in the world can deal with a 3 feet day like it's a regular day, at least nowhere that you'd describe as developped and industrialy active.

We're expecting a foot by the end of the day tomorrrow. Business as usual in the city, some schools are closed I guess.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 10, 2014

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

So when a truck plows snow it isn't actually like harvesting the snow into a dump truck it's just pushing the snow out the way, creating a huge wall of snow where cars park? How are sidewalks dealt with? I assume with that much snow it's more than "toss a bit of salt out the night before". I guess it's a bit of both because even in Victoria I remember seeing a few huge snow mountains they made after the big snow storm. It seems like if you have a city in a place with snow off-street parking becomes pretty important otherwise cars will be covered in snow mountains or scraped to poo poo by the plow.

If you have a road without parking where does the snow go? Onto the sidewalk? Where do people walk?

This is why we have wide rear end streets. It's also why there was a lot of incredulous posting at your ideal "narrow street" cities.

Baronjutter posted:

We just lose a lane of traffic, but sometimes the plows dump snow on the sidewalks. People in walkers/wheelchairs and the infirm do not walk after a major snow storm, there's literally no place they can walk.

e: also I've seen people jump out of running cars (after parking them) to help some poor lady in a wheelchair that fell down and couldn't get back up. The lady was very clearly homeless, and the people running to save him very clearly didn't care. I had a lot of pride for my city that day.

Baronjutter posted:

Is useless poo poo like front yards and setbacks just places to store snow in the winter?
Front yards aren't useless, they're snow depositories.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 10, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You don't live in Vancouver right? The correct action to take would have been to lean on the horn, roll down the window and tell the bitch to get up and stop blocking traffic

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Twitter is on fire right now about BoC admitting there's a problem with the housing market BUT THERES GONNA BE A SOFT LANDING ANYWAAAY

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So Sapporo has some of the highest snowfall for a major city in the world and they still have those classic narrow japanese residential streets. Youtube has some videos of these combine-harvester like operations that just drive down the little streets collecting snow and spraying it into a truck, when the truck gets full there's an empty one behind it. Don't forget by having a much denser city and a much smaller amount of paved land there's less actual land you need to clear of snow.

Honestly I think north americans just have a really hard time imagining anything other than sprawling low density cities and will come up with every excuse why nothing but the status quo could ever work let alone be better, while totally ignoring how our pattern of land use and infrastructure is pretty much the more expensive and least efficient imaginable. Status quo is a powerful thing.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
There's also the sad feature that a lot of people rely on vehicles to get to, and perform, work. For all the talk of quad and heavy duty pick up driving Albertans there are a lot of guys who need pickups (preferably larger ones) to do their jobs. They don't need the biggest, baddest, most expensive truck out there but they actually do need a truck.

This causes a lot of problems with planning a city when a sizeable portion of your populace has a need for wide roads and parking for vehicles.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

Honestly I think north americans just have a really hard time imagining anything other than sprawling low density cities and will come up with every excuse why nothing but the status quo could ever work let alone be better, while totally ignoring how our pattern of land use and infrastructure is pretty much the more expensive and least efficient imaginable. Status quo is a powerful thing.

Eloquent and entirety accurate.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wti is almost 60 bucks

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Baudin posted:

Front yards aren't useless, they're snow depositories.

My personal favourite is when they finally get around to grading the residential streets and then they dump six to ten inches of compacted snow and ice onto everyone's front yard/walk. You come home to a six foot high pile of ice and then are expected to dig it out or the city might fine you if you don't chisel through it to keep a walkway clear.

This is a back lane where it has happened, probably the second pass that winter.:

On front streets, they will clear the windrows (what spills off the sides of the snowplow) from driveways, but not walkways. They won't clear them from back lanes because of cost reason. The estimate for doing the 900 km of back lanes in Winnipeg for last year was $6500 per km, or $5.85 million.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So, speaking of the housing bubble, is the deflated cost of oil going to affect the housing market? Lower prices are bad news for Alberta which could slow construction there or lower prices. But how might it affect other parts of the country?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Antifreeze Head posted:

On front streets, they will clear the windrows (what spills off the sides of the snowplow) from driveways, but not walkways. They won't clear them from back lanes because of cost reason. The estimate for doing the 900 km of back lanes in Winnipeg for last year was $6500 per km, or $5.85 million.

Yup. No wonder seniors have a hankering for moving out of single family housing in Canadian cities with actual snowfall - shovelling that snow with bad knees/back/everything would be painful, slow and dangerous. My dad moved near Victoria and loves the place compared to the Prairies.

Count Roland posted:

So, speaking of the housing bubble, is the deflated cost of oil going to affect the housing market? Lower prices are bad news for Alberta which could slow construction there or lower prices. But how might it affect other parts of the country?

Lower price of oil is, if it remains this way for more than a year, very bad for just about every facet of Alberta's economy. This includes, but is not limited to, public services (because the Tories are short sighted traditionally and will cut services to the bone), retail (because no one will buy expensive crap if they're under/unemployed), housing (because no one can afford a mortgage with certainty), and obviously oil services (because they're the ones under/unemployed). Welp, wish we had saved all that fat cash we got during the boom. Again.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 10, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

This is a searing indictment of the dozens of imaginary straw men who have been arguing for the status quo with no changes whatsoever.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Baudin posted:

There's also the sad feature that a lot of people rely on vehicles to get to, and perform, work. For all the talk of quad and heavy duty pick up driving Albertans there are a lot of guys who need pickups (preferably larger ones) to do their jobs. They don't need the biggest, baddest, most expensive truck out there but they actually do need a truck.

This causes a lot of problems with planning a city when a sizeable portion of your populace has a need for wide roads and parking for vehicles.

I needs me mah F350 with extended cab (like mah long peckerwood see) and duellies cuz otherwahs the lassies might be thinking me peckerwood is too smahl

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Antifreeze Head posted:

Winnipeg has four of these piles. They persist until August.

I've always wanted to sled down the one by Kenaston, but it'd probably be too dangerous with all the heavy machinery there. From the road it looks at least 50m tall in the winter, with bulldozers crawling all over it like ants.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Have you ever been to any sort of city hall meeting or community planning event? These people are not strawmen, they exist in huge vocal numbers. They not only love the status quo but they think it's under attack by bike lanes and transit spending and will make entire city elections about it, even get referendums about it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baudin posted:

Yup. No wonder seniors have a hankering for moving out of single family housing in Canadian cities with actual snowfall - shovelling that snow with bad knees/back/everything would be painful, slow and dangerous. My dad moved near Victoria and loves the place compared to the Prairies.

I made several thousand each winter throughout junior high shoveling roofs and driveways for old people, busy people, and lazy people. Are we a wealthy enough nation that kids no longer need to make mad cash? I thought the TFW's were taking all the trash jobs and leaving them unemployed.

(One winter a neighbor went on a cruise and did not retain my services, his carport collapsed and ripped the front of his house off, totaling the new truck he got from his brother and exposing the interior to the elements for weeks. My phone was ringing off the hook for weeks).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Have you ever been to any sort of city hall meeting or community planning event? These people are not strawmen, they exist in huge vocal numbers. They not only love the status quo but they think it's under attack by bike lanes and transit spending and will make entire city elections about it, even get referendums about it.

I wouldn't have a problem with bike lanes if bikers actually used them or were ticketed for not using them where possible. As it is they just make one street narrower and still have bikers making GBS threads up traffic on parallel streets.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Rime posted:

I made several thousand each winter throughout junior high shoveling roofs and driveways for old people, busy people, and lazy people. Are we a wealthy enough nation that kids no longer need to make mad cash? I thought the TFW's were taking all the trash jobs and leaving them unemployed.

(One winter a neighbor went on a cruise and did not retain my services, his carport collapsed and ripped the front of his house off, totaling the new truck he got from his brother and exposing the interior to the elements for weeks. My phone was ringing off the hook for weeks).

I hope you took a picture and made fliers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with bike lanes if bikers actually used them or were ticketed for not using them where possible. As it is they just make one street narrower and still have bikers making GBS threads up traffic on parallel streets.

I wouldn't have a problem with cars if they were ticketed for making GBS threads up traffic.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I'd like to point out you live in Victoria.

Though we do actually have plenty of people who bitch about bike lanes and transit spending - my uncle made a comment to me about how the LRT was a huge waste of money "because it only goes along a narrow path down the city and not everyone lives there. Plus what about drivers."

He made a snide remark about how I must not appreciate the LRT now that I commute from home last Thanksgiving. My reply was along the lines of "Thank god for the LRT - saves me a bunch of traffic congestion, and if I could take it [my work requires I have a vehicle to make inspections] I would." He didn't appreciate the response.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The bike lanes are so, so stupid in Calgary. We don't need them downtown where you can walk everywhere and traffic is slow as gently caress anyway, we need them on the main access routes to downtown because that's where traffic is fast and that's where all the congestion comes from in the first place. We need a separated bike lane along 8th Ave. like I need a loving hole in my head.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

where does my schadenfreude even begin? burn the canadian economy to the ground

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That Bank of Canada report is both damning and indicative of the mindset that got us into this problem:

quote:

The bank says it's about 95 per cent sure that house prices have been overvalued by an average of about 10 per cent since 2007. That's based on a new forecasting model the bank says it created, which incorporates existing data from private banks and other government institutions.

[...]

"It also tells you that we've been overvalued by at least 10 per cent for several years," Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz said at press conference after the report came out. "It's not as though we became overvalued yesterday."

[...]

And a lot of those inflated house prices are coming at a cost of rising debt loads. About 12 per cent of Canadian households are considered to be extremely indebted — which means they have a debt-to-income ratio of at least 250 per cent. That ratio has doubled since 2000, the report notes.

[...]

"Among the current generation of young households, those who own homes carry more mortgage debt relative to income than previous generations did at the same age," the review said.

There are gonna be quotes from Poloz in Canadian academic research papers for decades to come.

You might notice the massive spike and slam in about the mid-1980s, that was the last big Alberta crash (as opposed to the micro-booms and busts we've had since).

I wanna chart this one against the price of oil for armchair economist entertainment, but can't find the original data on the BoC website.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stephen Harper posted:

You won't recognize Canada when I get through with it.