Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

AlternateAccount posted:

So is there a situation where the 6GB model is appreciably superior to teh 4GB?

I came here to ask this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes at draining your bank account for starters.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I think I read somewhere that 6gb performance is actually worse than the 4gb.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

I saw some shortcut on Twitter that crashed everything but the 6GB iPad.

Course it wasn’t an actual useful shortcut though, it was specifically a stress test thing that did some image edit on a large source image 1000 times or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

I think I read somewhere that 6gb performance is actually worse than the 4gb.

Probably because it uses the wrong kind of ram.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Does anyone have a recommendation for a pdf viewer that supports Apple Pencil and double page view? It doesn’t have to be free. iBooks is fine except for the lack of double page view in landscape.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Proteus Jones posted:

For the new iPad Pro, there is no Smart Cover.

The Smart Folio is $79 for the 11" and $99 for the 12.9"

All the 3rd party options are poo poo. None of them allow for charging the #2 Pencil, and many of them gently caress with FaceID.

All these people looking for smart covers.

Get a nice zippered sleeve for like $30 ya jabronis. When you aren’t using the pretty iPad it goes back in its sleeve problem solved. Bingo bango.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the truth posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a pdf viewer that supports Apple Pencil and double page view? It doesn’t have to be free. iBooks is fine except for the lack of double page view in landscape.

The aptly named PDF Viewer
https://pdfviewer.io/

It's also free. They have a pro version available if you want some niche features.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Sleeve + folio keyboard cover ftw

Visited the fruit stand today to play with the new pencil, it feels a lot more “real” than the first gen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Sleeve + folio keyboard cover ftw

Visited the fruit stand today to play with the new pencil, it feels a lot more “real” than the first gen.

It’s the flat side that makes it feel like a traditional wood and graphite pencil. It’s way more comfortable in my hand, that’s for sure.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The aptly named PDF Viewer
https://pdfviewer.io/

It's also free. They have a pro version available if you want some niche features.

Thanks!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

All these people looking for smart covers.

Get a nice zippered sleeve for like $30 ya jabronis. When you aren’t using the pretty iPad it goes back in its sleeve problem solved. Bingo bango.

Yep I came to the same conclusion, but had my gf sew me a sleeve for $0.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
News flash: hyperdrive MacBook usb-c docks fit and work perfectly with the new pros. Posting from one right now with it plugged in for headphone aux :pcgaming:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I found my old iPad 2 and the screen is terrible. Everything looks just slightly blurry. I can feel my eyes crossing while trying to look at text and icons.

Is it mean to donate this to Goodwill? Can these still download apps?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So the new 12.9 pro seems to have crazy good battery life or is just my imagination?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Holy poo poo I found my old iPad 2 and the screen is terrible. Everything looks just slightly blurry. I can feel my eyes crossing while trying to look at text and icons.

Is it mean to donate this to Goodwill? Can these still download apps?

i use my old ipad 3 as a digital picture frame

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

So the new 12.9 pro seems to have crazy good battery life or is just my imagination?

It seems like it to me as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

That one was retina, at least.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I still use my iPad 2. But I don’t know any better. My biggest hang up with it is the browser cache.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Last Chance posted:

My mom still uses the iPad 3 I gave her nearly 5 years ago as her primary computer. I wish I could afford to get her something newer. :saddowns:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

e.pilot posted:

My mom still uses the iPad 3 I gave her nearly 5 years ago as her primary computer. I wish I could afford to get her something newer. :saddowns:

stop buying all that fancy bike stuff then

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Electric Bugaloo posted:

stop buying all that fancy bike stuff then

No :colbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPad 3 was the one they replaced after 6 months because the performance was so bad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It was fine until iOS 7

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

The iPad 3 was the one they replaced after 6 months because the performance was so bad.

I thought it was because Johnny Ives made the cardinal sin of a new model thicker than the last.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I thought it was because Johnny Ives made the cardinal sin of a new model thicker than the last.

The iPad 3 was the first with a retina display but the SoC was the same CPU and slightly pumped GPU as the iPad 2 and it really struggled to push that many pixels.

Apple introduced the iPad 4 just 6 months later (it was a surprise announcement) and completely wiped the 3 off the market. When they introduced the iPad 4 they also announced the iPad 2 was going to be their "budget option".

I believe they've gone enough software optimization where the performance is perfectly fine now but at the time it was a mess.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I was one of the ipad 3 early adopters. I was pissed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

Not going to empty quote this but yeah this was me. I went from a 1 to a 3 and I was happy with it till they did all that poo poo.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My dad just upgraded from his iPad 3 like two weeks ago. No idea how he used it for that long. I guess that’s what it’s like to be a normal person who can stand to wait a couple of seconds for a computer to do something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

The iPad 3 was the first with a retina display but the SoC was the same CPU and slightly pumped GPU as the iPad 2 and it really struggled to push that many pixels.

Apple introduced the iPad 4 just 6 months later (it was a surprise announcement) and completely wiped the 3 off the market. When they introduced the iPad 4 they also announced the iPad 2 was going to be their "budget option".

I believe they've gone enough software optimization where the performance is perfectly fine now but at the time it was a mess.

But wasn't the 4 actually the iPad 3.5? They introduced the 3 with Retina and then the 3 with Retina and Lightning. I'm guessing those performance issues were resolved with the 2nd iteration of the 3 (which was also thinner, praise Ives).

Similar to the first rMBP. They introduced this great new screen, but didn't upgrade the insides enough to power it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

But wasn't the 4 actually the iPad 3.5? They introduced the 3 with Retina and then the 3 with Retina and Lightning. I'm guessing those performance issues were resolved with the 2nd iteration of the 3 (which was also thinner, praise Ives).

Similar to the first rMBP. They introduced this great new screen, but didn't upgrade the insides enough to power it.

No, the 3 was basically the 2 with a retina screen and slightly bumped GPU but same CPU. The iPad 4 introduced a new SOC which was more than twice as fast as the 3.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Eh, kinda sorta? In iPhone terms, the iPad 4 would be an iPad 3S. It was a newer SoC and such, so it was a good bit faster. The iPad 3 was, at best, slightly faster than the iPad 2 at launch, but not really.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

arbybaconator posted:

Same

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Eh, kinda sorta? In iPhone terms, the iPad 4 would be an iPad 3S. It was a newer SoC and such, so it was a good bit faster. The iPad 3 was, at best, slightly faster than the iPad 2 at launch, but not really.

Didn’t they also switch the port from 30-pin to lightning?

Also, not sure if your iPhone analogy holds up that great given that iPads haven’t seen dramatic redesigns so much as they’ve seen new models and form factors introduced. Like, the iPad Air, Air 2, and new iPad are visually indistinguishable until you use them, just like the iPad mini has been since the first model launched. There isn’t the same annual tick-tock cycle that iPhones have mostly stuck to and when there have been model updates virtually all of the changes have been internals/camera/etc rather than big form factor changes.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 14, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Also was an iPad 3 buyer and fuuuuuuuck. I forgot how mad I was over that. Even for Apple that life cycle was insultingly short and it was definitely a crappy product.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

iPad 3 was my first iPad. It couldn't reliably browse with more than 2 tabs open and it was slow even with just 1. Drove me nuts since that's one of the primary things I tend to do with my tablets is just browse stuff that I want to look up.

I ended up just giving it away for free when I got the 2016 iPad Pro.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Didn’t they also switch the port from 30-pin to lightning?

Also, not sure if your iPhone analogy holds up that great given that iPads haven’t seen dramatic redesigns so much as they’ve seen new models and form factors introduced. Like, the iPad Air, Air 2, and new iPad are visually indistinguishable until you use them, just like the iPad mini has been since the first model launched. There isn’t the same annual tick-tock cycle that iPhones have mostly stuck to and when there have been model updates virtually all of the changes have been internals/camera/etc rather than big form factor changes.

I was just using it in that one case, buddy, not as an all-encompassing Theory of iPads.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i call my ipad 3 "the ipad that tim forgot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I generally pass down my old phone/tablets to my mom or brother once I upgrade.

I didn't bother passing down the iPad 3.