Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tabletops posted:

if theres a crafting recipe that requires them, it doesn't matter the durability.

Oh that's interesting--good, I'm glad I've been holding on to everything then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Now that's I'm starting to grasp the repair mechanics, GAMMA definitely strikes me as the sort of mod that was tailor-made for me. I'm having a blast with it.

1. Great variety, but not uneven--it doesn't feel like I'm fighting packs of dogs one minute and then slaying a hell knight from Doom 3 with the Halo assault rifle the next.
2. Firefights are fun and dangerous, but are neither so lethal that they're always "blink and your dead" classic Rainbow Six encounters where a single 9x18 will kill you, nor spongy RPG nightmares where you're just chasing bigger numbers to kill boars.
3. The weapon parts/repair/modding systems seem to be a great way to make building your dream kit more rewarding and less "oh I found this rifle on a dead mercenary an hour into the game and I don't really need anything else any more."
4. By default, it seems content to give you moments of silence; one of the things that annoyed me with old ShoC mods was when they felt the need to pack every single map with full of 10x enemies so that getting between point A and point B was a nonstop slog.
5. Pretty drat polished! I'm used to old STALKER mods that are filled with typos, and where you get whiplash from all of the different resolutions and qualities and colors of assets that clearly come from different sources. Clearly it's been many years since I've checked things out.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I started my first session of Gamma last night and it's fantastic. If you are thinking about trying it, make sure to get on Grok's discord because it made troubleshooting installation problems a breeze.

I'm still working on the framerates and probably can't leave the detail as high as I'd like on my rig but I'm reliving the atmosphere of the games as I remembered from years ago where the story and tension works even more in your mind than on the screen.

The weapon scavenging and rebuild mechanics seem a bit daunting but after watching some video tutorials I think I have the gist of it. I can understand how they might turn some people off but from a game progression standpoint it makes sense within the limits of the engine. I'm enjoying the loop of coming back to camp and picking through the loot next to the fire.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've briefly enabled magazines, but I'm not sure it's for me. Immersion is nice, but reloading mags gets tedious fast, and not in "it takes 30s to put bullets" but there's no drop-down menu for magazines to "load 5.56 AP", so I need to drag the ammo from the bottom of my inventory to the top, mag by mag.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

alex314 posted:

I've briefly enabled magazines, but I'm not sure it's for me. Immersion is nice, but reloading mags gets tedious fast, and not in "it takes 30s to put bullets" but there's no drop-down menu for magazines to "load 5.56 AP", so I need to drag the ammo from the bottom of my inventory to the top, mag by mag.

Mark them as favorites and they’ll pin to the top of your inventory

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

alex314 posted:

You can enable instant mag reloading in stashes so load them instantly in a box then put them in your inventory and top them off in between fights while sitting next to a fire or hiding.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Scut posted:

I started my first session of Gamma last night and it's fantastic. If you are thinking about trying it, make sure to get on Grok's discord because it made troubleshooting installation problems a breeze.

I'm still working on the framerates and probably can't leave the detail as high as I'd like on my rig but I'm reliving the atmosphere of the games as I remembered from years ago where the story and tension works even more in your mind than on the screen.

The weapon scavenging and rebuild mechanics seem a bit daunting but after watching some video tutorials I think I have the gist of it. I can understand how they might turn some people off but from a game progression standpoint it makes sense within the limits of the engine. I'm enjoying the loop of coming back to camp and picking through the loot next to the fire.

The biggest increase in framerate and stuttering reduction for me has been turning off 0 core. There's different ways to do that and the GAMMA discord has some instructions there too.

The crafting/repairing has been pretty balanced in GAMMA in my experience so far. I'm trying out new gear more often than I would be if I was just buying stuff in base Anomaly. Armor for instance is usually too prohibitively expensive to buy or repair up on a whim in Anomaly so I'd always have to stick to a predetermined progression of that early Beril military suit you can trade for vodka -> SEVA suit (ACE merc variant if possible) -> scavenged exo -> Nosorog. But in GAMMA, I can regularly swap out components and get a new suit up and running once I cart it back to base due to hoarding. Guns are the same way with a little less wriggle room since you need components at a base level condition, but I still have been able to try out more fun guns. It's definitely not easy mode, especially with all the upfront learning you need to do for crafting to make sense, but it feels super rewarding finishing up a fire fight and scoring some vital components you need to cobble together a new gun or armor.

Right now I'm gearing up to turn off the Brain Scorcher in Radar and I have a looted SKAT-9 suit (which hilariously has a player model that looks like a dude in tracksuit pants with a heavy armor top), an AN-94 with 300 rounds of AP armor since I'm scare armored enemies with the new armor re-work, and a Carabineer shotgun which is a mean little cut-down, semi-auto lead dispenser. It's all gear that I haven't really used before and might have overlooked in Anomaly, but it feels a lot more fulfilling and meaningful because it's gear that scavenged together through blood and toil.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

It's definitely not easy mode, especially with all the upfront learning you need to do for crafting to make sense, but it feels super rewarding finishing up a fire fight and scoring some vital components you need to cobble together a new gun or armor.

It's pretty funny: in a previous mod, the experience might be "Nice, an AS-VAL! I will take this back to a vendor and repair it to 100% with a small portion of my trillion-Ruble wallet" It's such a brief, singular experience.

But here it's more like, "Nice, the barrel and hammers on this TOZ are in great shape! Now if I can just find an extractor that hasn't been soaking in an acid anomaly, I might be able to get this back into operation." Like, I never thought I'd be getting excited about field stripping firearms for their precious extractors and spring assemblies, but here we are. It's more engaging and, for me at least, rewarding as a result.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

moot the hopple posted:

The biggest increase in framerate and stuttering reduction for me has been turning off 0 core. There's different ways to do that and the GAMMA discord has some instructions there too.

Yes I just tried the 'one time' 0 core disable and I'm pretty certain it helped a lot. I'll need to go through the tutorial tomorrow to make sure it stays disabled on game launch.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3noVdSIeEc
Hahaha love the clear sky pathing that allowed this, fun fact he won't path into the water though so you can dash back and fourth into the water and he'll path the long way around to try and get you.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks for magazine reload tips. I'll re-enable it again. I like how it makes you stop reloading every 5 rounds shot. I guess some really prolonged firefights with some mutants joining in might get spicy once you're out of your 4-5 ready mags, and possibly without even other loaded in the backpack. On the other hand you don't need any special variant of a gun to enjoy 45 or 60 round mags.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
For those that are interested, Zero Sievert is now available in early access on Steam.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I'm very interested in what people think of Zero Sievert. Hopefully someone tries it out before I get home from work so I can decide if I want to snag it

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

moot the hopple posted:

The crafting/repairing has been pretty balanced in GAMMA in my experience so far. I'm trying out new gear more often than I would be if I was just buying stuff in base Anomaly. Armor for instance is usually too prohibitively expensive to buy or repair up on a whim in Anomaly so I'd always have to stick to a predetermined progression of that early Beril military suit you can trade for vodka -> SEVA suit (ACE merc variant if possible) -> scavenged exo -> Nosorog. But in GAMMA, I can regularly swap out components and get a new suit up and running once I cart it back to base due to hoarding. Guns are the same way with a little less wriggle room since you need components at a base level condition, but I still have been able to try out more fun guns. It's definitely not easy mode, especially with all the upfront learning you need to do for crafting to make sense, but it feels super rewarding finishing up a fire fight and scoring some vital components you need to cobble together a new gun or armor.

Right now I'm gearing up to turn off the Brain Scorcher in Radar and I have a looted SKAT-9 suit (which hilariously has a player model that looks like a dude in tracksuit pants with a heavy armor top), an AN-94 with 300 rounds of AP armor since I'm scare armored enemies with the new armor re-work, and a Carabineer shotgun which is a mean little cut-down, semi-auto lead dispenser. It's all gear that I haven't really used before and might have overlooked in Anomaly, but it feels a lot more fulfilling and meaningful because it's gear that scavenged together through blood and toil.

unfortunately i didn't really have this experience. I've already found a lot of the best gear in the game. the merc VSS (the barrel was perfect so I was able to repair it, actually) and the RD 9x39. a vykhop. the ruger sr 556. an ACE merc suit. military and merc nosorogs. spartan helmet.

I just can't use them because I don't have expert tools. I've been using a ps5-9md pathfinder suit for a few days now, i think since hour ~6 or 7? I think i found the RD 9x39 and ACE suit the first time i went to wild territory a couple hours later. I also have nearly 2 million roubles.

It's kind of interesting, i'm wondering if once i get expert tools if i'll immediately lose steam and interest in this run.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

alex314 posted:

Thanks for magazine reload tips. I'll re-enable it again. I like how it makes you stop reloading every 5 rounds shot. I guess some really prolonged firefights with some mutants joining in might get spicy once you're out of your 4-5 ready mags, and possibly without even other loaded in the backpack. On the other hand you don't need any special variant of a gun to enjoy 45 or 60 round mags.

Yeah it always felt silly reloading constantly from a giant pile of apparently loose ammo sitting in your bag. I also like how with the limited suit mag slots you really gotta approach heated combat differently even when you bring a ton of mags. I enjoy hiding behind cover looking in my inventory for extra mags to strap to my chest and manually putting a mag into my gun. It also gates guns pretty well because you not only need to find the guns but mags for it too though if you know where the sleepy trader is hes got all the top end guns/mags for when you just want that one gun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Switching to your sidearm is faster than reloading your mags.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tibbeh posted:

I'm very interested in what people think of Zero Sievert. Hopefully someone tries it out before I get home from work so I can decide if I want to snag it

Assuming it’s unchanged from demos, it’s a very casual arcadey looter shooter. The demo limited progression by looted weapons being broken and vendors requiring faction reputation to buy fancy guns, I assume the main game will do similar. Also locked crafting behind some skill books and base building. I felt like I got powerful pretty fast, but also against unarmored bandits and ghouls. I’m sure later areas keep some difficulty curve.

The dev has built a big community discord server and I don’t think they’ll abandon it, but you never know. It had a good deal of content in the demo, and I put a good 10-12 hours into it. Gonna throw the bucks down just because I feel I’ll get what its worth even if it never gets “completed”. I’m pretty anti-early access in general otherwise.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Tabletops posted:

unfortunately i didn't really have this experience. I've already found a lot of the best gear in the game. the merc VSS (the barrel was perfect so I was able to repair it, actually) and the RD 9x39. a vykhop. the ruger sr 556. an ACE merc suit. military and merc nosorogs. spartan helmet.

I just can't use them because I don't have expert tools. I've been using a ps5-9md pathfinder suit for a few days now, i think since hour ~6 or 7? I think i found the RD 9x39 and ACE suit the first time i went to wild territory a couple hours later. I also have nearly 2 million roubles.

It's kind of interesting, i'm wondering if once i get expert tools if i'll immediately lose steam and interest in this run.

From that list of items, assuming you have advanced tools, you can probably get a lot of that stuff up and running. With advanced tools you can create a heavy armor repair kit, the recipe just requires a ridiculous amount of medium armor repair kits to craft which shouldn't be too bad with all that money you have. Also, make sure you're doing the quests to turn in duplicate tool sets to technicians because it expands their inventory and lets you buy more advanced repair items and kits. Sometimes they'll have the armor part you need and swapping it in will be enough to increase the overall condition of your armor to the point where you can repair the rest of the war with sewing kits or other repair items. Another tip is to turn extra toolsets to separate technicians, one who is NATO gear affiliated and another who is Warsaw Pact gear affiliated, so that you have access to all types of parts.

For guns, if you don't want to scrounge for parts, you can also just buy the corresponding weapon repair kit, right click on the gun, select maintain, select whatever part is clapped out, and it will magically replace it with a full condition part at the cost of a repair kit charge. It's very expensive doing it this method but it is an option when you have more money than you know what to do with.

If your concern is running out of fun things to to try, I'll just say that from the list of gear you mentioned, there's still a lot more endgame stuff to encounter. Exoskeletons are also quite the involved to get up and running, requiring you to find recipes and create involved power supplies, so just looting them is only the start of the process.

Also for expert tools, you need to look for stashes in Red Forest and beyond for them to spawn. I found a set of expert tools in Radar the first time I went to turn off the brain scorcher. Now I'm rocking a Monolith exosuit (not exoskeleton mind you, but still a decent heavy armor with good BR), a pimped out Saiga shotgun, and a M4 Tactical that I bought a sick 1-8X adjustable zoom scope that also has a backup canted red dot for CQB. All the BaS guns that you can install tactical kits onto have been super fun if you're looking for some cool weapons to try out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

From that list of items, assuming you have advanced tools, you can probably get a lot of that stuff up and running. With advanced tools you can create a heavy armor repair kit, the recipe just requires a ridiculous amount of medium armor repair kits to craft which shouldn't be too bad with all that money you have. Also, make sure you're doing the quests to turn in duplicate tool sets to technicians because it expands their inventory and lets you buy more advanced repair items and kits. Sometimes they'll have the armor part you need and swapping it in will be enough to increase the overall condition of your armor to the point where you can repair the rest of the war with sewing kits or other repair items. Another tip is to turn extra toolsets to separate technicians, one who is NATO gear affiliated and another who is Warsaw Pact gear affiliated, so that you have access to all types of parts.

Also for expert tools, you need to look for stashes in Red Forest and beyond for them to spawn. I found a set of expert tools in Radar the first time I went to turn off the brain scorcher. Now I'm rocking a Monolith exosuit (not exoskeleton mind you, but still a decent heavy armor with good BR), a pimped out Saiga shotgun, and a M4 Tactical that I bought a sick 1-8X adjustable zoom scope that also has a backup canted red dot for CQB. All the BaS guns that you can install tactical kits onto have been super fun if you're looking for some cool weapons to try out.

I've been going real slow and just found my first Basic Tools set (courtesy of Hip, since a TOZ-whatever finally graced me with its presence); I've currently got the Cordon and Great Swamps techs both asking for it. From what you're saying, it sounds like multiple copies of these tool sets can appear. Is there any reason for me to hang on to these tools instead? Or should I just pick a tech to give them to and then, presumably, I'd have access to the basic tools at their shop (and then start looking around for another set)?

Apologies for the questions, this just feels like the last aspect of the repair system that I'm still unsure on.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Alright stay away from EFP 4.0 until they fix the stupid loving ammo. You got tons of casual spawns in top tier armor that are basically invincible unless you have the best AP ammo in the game like some stupid rock paper scissor poo poo. Just mag dumped 60 rounds into the dome of an exosuit to no avail but killed him with 5-6 whacks of a knife. Devs said use AP ammo but not just any AP ammo you need class V penetration or every gun in the game is useless.

These are bandit and renegades in the loving great swamp rocking exosuits and radsuits.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've been going real slow and just found my first Basic Tools set (courtesy of Hip, since a TOZ-whatever finally graced me with its presence); I've currently got the Cordon and Great Swamps techs both asking for it. From what you're saying, it sounds like multiple copies of these tool sets can appear. Is there any reason for me to hang on to these tools instead? Or should I just pick a tech to give them to and then, presumably, I'd have access to the basic tools at their shop (and then start looking around for another set)?

Apologies for the questions, this just feels like the last aspect of the repair system that I'm still unsure on.

You definitely only want to give away duplicates and keep a set for yourself first and foremost, never give them your only set of tools (should also point out you will still need basic, advanced, and expert on hand as high level tools won't supersede lower level tools in terms of recipes). The techs will let you use their workbench but there's a time limit so it's way more useful to create your own workshop and retain your own tools. Giving duplicates to techs is mainly to increase faction rep and to get them to carry more types of items for sale. And yes you can find duplicate tools out in the wild in stashes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Also once you give techs the tools they can upgrade your armor and helmet to higher level. And some suit upgrades are pretty cool, like extra belt slots or even health regen.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

You definitely only want to give away duplicates and keep a set for yourself first and foremost, never give them your only set of tools (should also point out you will still need basic, advanced, and expert on hand as high level tools won't supersede lower level tools in terms of recipes). The techs will let you use their workbench but there's a time limit so it's way more useful to create your own workshop and retain your own tools. Giving duplicates to techs is mainly to increase faction rep and to get them to carry more types of items for sale. And yes you can find duplicate tools out in the wild in stashes.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So is it an oversight/unintended feature to be able to field strip parts from weapons and then reinstall parts by drag/dropping them onto the weapon from the inventory screen? Because if I open up my work bench, it won't let me swap out parts without having the corresponding toolkit...but I can still drag/drop those same parts onto the weapon in my inventory without issue.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
I think dragging and dropping parts like that to replace them without a workbench drops the condition of the gun ( and/or parts? ), simulating you getting dirt in the gun in the field or damaging them by not using proper tools to do the swap.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dude Sweet posted:

I think dragging and dropping parts like that to replace them without a workbench drops the condition of the gun ( and/or parts? ), simulating you getting dirt in the gun in the field or damaging them by not using proper tools to do the swap.

That's what I read somewhere, too. I messed around with it a couple of times and don't think it dropped the condition, but I'll have to test it some more tomorrow and see if it does it with repetition.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Swapping parts directly into guns will degrade the gun condition but only up until 50 percent. Go nuts if it's already under that, just keep in mind it requires more expensive cleaning/repair items to bring up to repair the lower condition you go.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Trying to get Stalker Gamma's performance up I learned this one weird trick for a noticeable jump in framerate; run the Anomaly launcher, set the shadow map to 1536, save settings, exit the launcher.

Once I fixed that, I was able to keep a lot of the post processing enabled while still gaining framerate.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Jf4XkmfX8&t=301s
This is for EFP but most mods use the same shaders but i run a steady 50-70 FPS with a potato and most settings on max.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Scut posted:

Trying to get Stalker Gamma's performance up I learned this one weird trick for a noticeable jump in framerate; run the Anomaly launcher, set the shadow map to 1536, save settings, exit the launcher.

Once I fixed that, I was able to keep a lot of the post processing enabled while still gaining framerate.

Under the "GAMMA Fixes" section in the modlist, there's an optional addon you can turn on if you get stuttering. I have it turned on but can't say I've noticed much difference. YMMV depending on your hardware.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I've been watching klean on Twitch play stalker anomaly gamma and it's sparked memories from 15 years ago.

Getting hosed up by military guys right beside the starting town...Brain melters.. getting pursued by a helicopter towards the nuclear plant.. monolith with rail guns in the long hall ways of the plant. Needing some kind of weird item to go into the psychic factory.

Anyways, since I'm old and don't mod quake 1 team fortress anymore, I'm wondering if anyone can hold my hand and point me in the right direction of installing this wonderful trip down memory lane.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Hit up here and then the discord

https://github.com/Grokitach/Stalker_GAMMA

Has step by step instructions

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
GAMMA is very user friendly and the Discord covers most issues you’ll encounter when installing it.

I had a lot of fun with it for a while, however once I was clued up on the systems I kinda ran out of steam. It’s fun to go around shooting different people/things in the face but without the original series’ story progression it just turned into inventory/stash management for me.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

8 Ball posted:

GAMMA is very user friendly and the Discord covers most issues you’ll encounter when installing it.

I had a lot of fun with it for a while, however once I was clued up on the systems I kinda ran out of steam. It’s fun to go around shooting different people/things in the face but without the original series’ story progression it just turned into inventory/stash management for me.

So gamma loses the actual game story? Does anomaly keep it?

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Anomaly (GAMMA is just a mod pack for Anomaly) is basically all 3 games smushed together - it’s meant to be set in 2018? so while there is a new story it’s uninspired ‘ooh Strelok is back! Go see this character you vaguely remember on the other side of the map!’ and I don’t think most people bother with it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So gamma loses the actual game story? Does anomaly keep it?

I barely remember original games questlines, but there are quests for finding Strelok, or deactivating brainscorcher.

Also for my earlier question about reloading mags: there's an ammo filter in the inventory that conveniently removes anything but ammo and mags...
Another important thing is you can initiate reload, close the inventory window and still have it going as long as you stand still. For slow reload 60 round mags it's waay safer, at least you know what wants to eat you.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

8 Ball posted:

Anomaly (GAMMA is just a mod pack for Anomaly) is basically all 3 games smushed together - it’s meant to be set in 2018? so while there is a new story it’s uninspired ‘ooh Strelok is back! Go see this character you vaguely remember on the other side of the map!’ and I don’t think most people bother with it.

So anomaly doesn't just upgrade the engine for Shadow of Chernobyl and others, it's a complete mash up of all 3 without the semi linear quest line?

I vaguely remember a progression to find this for scientist to be able to go to next area to get something for other scientist to get to the brain scorcher to deactivate...

Anyways I recognize the name strelok but nothing else.

Things I clearly remember is dying to military checkpoint at start.
Getting destroyed by a helicopter pursuit over and over on the way to the nuclear plant area.
Getting destroyed by guys in long hallways with Gauss rifles in the plant.
Getting on top of some weird elevated rail system where the douches with Gauss rifles were in plentiful supply after the core..

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyways I recognize the name strelok but nothing else.

strelok was the pc in game 1

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Wafflecopper posted:

strelok was the pc in game 1

Man memory is weird.. that one line just made it flood back... Right. You had amnesia and you were trying to kill yourself. You try to track down your crew to find out that you're strelok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So anomaly doesn't just upgrade the engine for Shadow of Chernobyl and others, it's a complete mash up of all 3 without the semi linear quest line?

Basically. Anomaly is a freeplay mod that combines the maps of all three games and is based on Call of Pripyat. It also comes packaged with a series of player made linear story lines which were created for Call of Chernobyl, Anomaly's predecessor. They're reasonably long, mostly OK and I think that most people don't know that they exist and will never start them.