Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Magmarashi posted:

What are the go-to retuexture options for SE since aMidianBorn is never getting ported over properly?

Still aMidianBorn, just run the assets through Cathedral and resave the esp in the SE Creation Kit. I use that with Noble Skyrim, SMIM and a couple of other personally converted/customized retexture mods.

timn posted:

Does there exist a mod for SE that adds horse support for vanilla followers without changing other horse/follower mechanics? Everything I can find is part of some kind of larger immersive overhaul with a bunch of other crap I don't want to fuss with.

I use Immersive Horses. Nice new features, but very unobtrusive.

Edit: Sniiiipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Ass_Burgerer posted:

That's fuckin 8.7 GB total good god.

That's 1) a 2 and a half hour download with nexus' speed limit, and 2) 8.7 GB of extra disc space required for goddamn texture replacers. Nothing new, just huger textures.

I guess it's worth it for some people. Get their faces right up to the tavern wall and marvel at all the pixels...

I'm running Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (10GB) with Noble Skyrim (5GB) for my large-scale textures, and that's before smaller packs like caves/clutter/etc but that's kinda what happens when you replace all the textures in the game, even if you keep them at the same size (Special edition's are all 2k). The vanilla texture bsas stack up to about 7GB on their own.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tyty posted:

I'm running Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (10GB) with Noble Skyrim (5GB) for my large-scale textures, and that's before smaller packs like caves/clutter/etc but that's kinda what happens when you replace all the textures in the game, even if you keep them at the same size (Special edition's are all 2k). The vanilla texture bsas stack up to about 7GB on their own.

Actually SEs are 4k, if you count "Resampled up and noise filter added" to be 4k. aMidianBorn, even the 2k version, looks way better than the vanilla textures.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually SEs are 4k, if you count "Resampled up and noise filter added" to be 4k. aMidianBorn, even the 2k version, looks way better than the vanilla textures.

Waaait wait wait wait, does this mean you could get a tangible performance gain (or at least more efficient VRAM utilization) by swapping out the upscaled 4k vanilla textures for better quality modded 2k textures? Or at least that you wouldn't expect to see any performance hit by swapping to modded native 4k textures?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yep!

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Hah, I swear I heard they were 2k. That's actually worse then. I have to wonder why Bethesda didn't just use their source textures as a base instead.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tyty posted:

Hah, I swear I heard they were 2k. That's actually worse then. I have to wonder why Bethesda didn't just use their source textures as a base instead.
It's possible that they were dumb enough too delete their source textures when they shut down the Skyrim development team. But more likely is that grabbing the vanilla textures and running them through a batch converter was the cheaper option.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Or perhaps the source textures were upscaled-converted then downscaled for LE this whole time?

So then SE comes around and they go back to the un-downscaled upscaled textures.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So, ok, I went to check, and apparently I've been talking out my rear end. The Skyrim SE textures are, from a quick check, identical to the HD DLC textures, at least the armor textures. As penance, I went ahead and made a comparison of all the texture sizes, from Morrowind to Skyrim SE (because of course I have all these games installed.:frogc00l:)

One thing you might enjoy is that I included the aMidianBorn Iron Cuirass texture for comparison, so you can see that while it's the same size as the SE texture, you can tell that a lot more care has been put into it and that it looks so much better as a result.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I've been using AMB textures as part of the Lexy's modlist, and they look so good I've had to do a double take at times. "poo poo, is that some new armor.. no, it's just steel armor that looks like someone gave a drat." Also love the kinda black and gold elven armors. They look a lot more like thalmor robes/colors, and I almost never saw anyone in the game wearing it besides thalmor trash anyway.

edit: vvv That's fair. They just look hugely better to me.

graynull fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 11, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I don't think it's "gave a drat" so much as "has a month to spend on one armor texture."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

graynull posted:

Also love the kinda black and gold elven armors. They look a lot more like thalmor robes/colors, and I almost never saw anyone in the game wearing it besides thalmor trash anyway.
No, elves are all pricks with cheap brass with goes-fast wings on it, I will die on this hill

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One thing I really liked about Skyrim was how you could see that Glass was similar to Elven in make, and that Daedric was corrupted Ebony armor.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

AMB is nice but it kind of drives me nuts how inconsistent it is with other armors not covered by it that i end up just not really using it

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If you're talking Mod Added armors, I can understand that, but there are some pretty good retextures of the Armors Not Held Against The Body not covered by AMB. Ashland Apparel comes to mind.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

One thing I really liked about Skyrim was how you could see that Glass was similar to Elven in make, and that Daedric was corrupted Ebony armor.
yeah, the game has surprisingly good art direction in some places (which unfortunately makes the rest stand out more). There are some really nice armours and I'm glad they finally made Daedric look closer to what it's supposed to be.

the weapons on the other hand...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I thought glass armor looked really stupid in Skyrim, after Oblivion :shrug:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

After reading this thread I usually feel like the only person here who actually likes Skyrim.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like Skyrim, I just don't like some of the armor design. And the civil war plot. And half the guilds. And everything about Riften :v:

But the game is pretty chill otherwise and console command shenanigans can fix a lot of the annoyances I would otherwise have with the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

orcane posted:

I thought glass armor looked really stupid in Skyrim, after Oblivion :shrug:
glass armour always looks loving idiotic, which is part of its charm, but Oblivion failed to understand that it must be spiky and idiotic.

also it was hard to look at it without going blind

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i just wear leather armor or banded iron bonemold all game

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

After reading this thread I usually feel like the only person here who actually likes Skyrim.

No one actually likes Skyrim, friend.

Serious Post: AMB actually fits in pretty well with the 2k version of stuff like Rustic Armor/Clothing, Frankly HD’s Imperial/Stormcloak and armors, and the like. If anything it’s the Frankly HD stuff that kind of stands out because it’s too detailed for Skyrim sometimes.

Though I’ve also created a custom mishmash of textures, some I’ve edited myself in photoshop to my specifications so I’ve also gone deeper than any human being should really go into Skyrim Textures for the sake of my own enjoyment.

In conclusion, no one actually likes Skyrim.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i dont like skyrim

i love skyrim

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

I like Skyrim, and after playing with certain mods I'm finding I like a surprising amount of base Skyrim too. The scaling honestly works better than any of the unleveled world mods like to claim.

Frankly if it wasn't 80 of my currency I would've considered picking up the switch version of the game but that's a ton more than I paid for the legendary edition so it's really not worth it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Skyrim is fine, but only the hunting and mining survival game where you don't really go into town ever and just stay in the wilderness, killing animals by fire punching, making your own equipment out of the stuff you find.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I think vanilla Skyrim is actually quite solid (much moreso than vanilla Oblivion for sure). Like 95% of my mods that affect gameplay are just quality of life tweaks.

Though I am a big advocate now for experience mods that ditch the traditional level skills by use system. That's admittedly a major departure, but I think it's a really good one once you see the problems it fixes in the core gameplay loop.

Otherwise, even commonly criticized stuff like the combat and the writing I've increasingly come to appreciate as decently functional despite its flaws.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't looked into it too much, and I think it involves hacking your firmware, but you can get ordinator and Apocalypse spells on the Switch version now.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bony tony posted:

Skyrim is fine, but only the hunting and mining survival game where you don't really go into town ever and just stay in the wilderness, killing animals by fire punching, making your own equipment out of the stuff you find.

Almost all of Vanilla Skyrim is -fine-, people just like to be the hyperbolic 'it was never good!' cool guy/girl

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Vanilla Skyrim is kind of eh. It's okay. Dwemer urbex hell is kind of cool I guess, but that's balanced by loving hating huge segments of the overworld and main plotline. The game kept my attention long enough that I ended up completing the main story, which is more than I can say for unmodded Oblivion, which I only beat out of spite for the leveled lists breaking and half the enemies becoming rats with a hundred times more hp than me. Made the churlish and idiotic mistake of making my leveled skills stuff that I wanted to max out and then proceeding to do so, what kind of fool would do that.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Magmarashi posted:

Almost all of Vanilla Skyrim is -fine-, people just like to be the hyperbolic 'it was never good!' cool guy/girl

yeah

also that its 9 years old and everyone has put like 2000 hours into it

and with SE the game runs great, which was the real problem with oldrim

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Vanilla Skyrim is kind of eh. It's okay. Dwemer urbex hell is kind of cool I guess, but that's balanced by loving hating huge segments of the overworld and main plotline. The game kept my attention long enough that I ended up completing the main story, which is more than I can say for unmodded Oblivion, which I only beat out of spite for the leveled lists breaking and half the enemies becoming rats with a hundred times more hp than me. Made the churlish and idiotic mistake of making my leveled skills stuff that I wanted to max out and then proceeding to do so, what kind of fool would do that.

this too burned me on my first oblivion runs

"hey ill be a cool stealthy persuasive character stealing and sometimes shooting my bow"

then next thing you know im level 10 and instead of scamps kvatch has daedroth standing outside it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

First and only time I played Oblivion I only did the core quest line and was fighting Sickly Scamps straight through to the end

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Seems like modded environmental textures just aren't for me. I tried both Skyrim HD SE and Skyrim 2020 and found a lot of issues between both of them, including:

- Stark changes to art direction, for example the red shingle rooftops that Skyrim HD SE adds to Whiterun which I think are pretty garish.

- Mediocre to poor scaling and alignment, egregiously so in Skyrim 2020 but also enough in Skyrim HD SE to make the 2011-era geometry stick out like a sore thumb.

- Excessive contrast and/or parallax effects, making the game look like a lovely HDR photo. Any and all stonework is a top offender here.

For all their muddiness up close, the vanilla Skyrim textures still have professional art direction and blend properly with the geometry. With a good ENB that makes solid use of soft lighting, I think the game ends up looking better untouched in this area.

That said, the book of silence stuff looks great, and I've always been fan. Characters/weapons/armor don't seem to pose the same challenges that environmental stuff does.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Are you using SMIM? SMIM + Noble Skyrim looks great IMHO.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Agents are GO! posted:

Are you using SMIM? SMIM + Noble Skyrim looks great IMHO.

This. The 20XX mods look like garbage

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
SMIM + Ruins Clutter Improved + Noble Skyrim has been my go-to for years. It sets a great baseline for the look of the world.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Been playing the First Prong wabbajack list and having a squad of followers is massively breaking difficultly over my knee. Its great. Also got a spell to summon a pack of wolves, for extra bodies to throw at problems. Should probably go to a lower level area to grind destruction so I can contribute some.

Appropriately leveled stuff is still using iron and steel, but through the power of throwing bodies at the problem two of my followers already have daedric weaponry. Also have a black soul gem I'm saving for after I get better at enchanting.

Skyrim is great.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
What is the virus/malware risk like on downloading an installing mods from Nexus?

I've already installed a bunch, so too late if there is any. I haven't noticed any issues, but just wondered.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Minimal at best.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
So the list in the OP is from 2017. I'm going for mods more like Frostfall and more random encounters. Survival/additional mechanics and mods that make the world feel more alive. Any recommendations for things not on the list that sound like that?

Edit: I just saw the link to the wiki... recommendations still welcome though.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I believe Ultimate Skyrim is full of mods like that, using Requiem as a core, though survival mods never appealed to me so I haven't actually tried it.