Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Wirth1000 posted:

god drat season 4 is good

Bart/Pepe's bigger brother Tom was written to be played by Tom Cruise. They had been trying to get him but he always turned them down, so they made basically a perfect character with no flaws whatsoever to try and coax him into it. He's even an F-14 pilot like Maverick! But he still wouldn't do it, so Phil Hartman got called in (the sign in this fight scene towards the end- "Phil's gas"- also what this episode is running on).

Analytic Engine posted:

My friend told me in high school but I never had the chance to verify

that's even cooler than the burning Twin Towers picture on the monorail in Marge vs the Monorail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Those old episodes of the Simpsons are fantastic!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

The Bible posted:

People who still like the Simpsons only need vague references to things they recognize.

"Lol, blue cupcakes, like the meth on Breaking Bad. LOLOL. And Homer is dressed like Walter! It's funny because it is something I recognize from somewhere else."

Any deeper than that and the effort is wasted on them. It's like someone mentioned earlier about these people watching older, actually funny episodes, like Krusty becoming a standup comedian. They see the "Me so solly" bit and laugh at that alone, totally oblivious to the fact that the humor is supposed to come from the fact that that mode of humor is incredibly racist and inappropriate now.

"Lol, that's how oriental people talk!"

What I love about that episode is that clearly, at one point, the writers understood that racial stereotype jokes can become offensive and just plain not funny to a modern audience.

Compare that to their completely ham-fisted response to The Problem with Apu. They became the Krusty they were parodying 20 years earlier.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

Compare that to their completely ham-fisted response to The Problem with Apu. They became the Krusty they were parodying 20 years earlier.

That's really not fair.

At least Krusty is willing to admit he's become an out-of-touch hack.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

Any excuse to post this Season 28 clip for everyone to groan at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ&t=45s

:catstare: holy loving poo poo, i would have been embarrassed to voice-act that scene

that said, i laughed super hard at the very end, where the guy's like "at least i have my health!" and immediately gets clunked in the head with an android head. full disclosure though -- i'm pretty high right now.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Mark Maguires "Yoink!" and how his eyes dart around after bugs me. Bad acting and bad animation.

I am like four days late, but, do you think Mark Mcguire acted in a cartoon?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6lgjd6MLDE

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Perfect!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

He did

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I only just found out that there was a Treehouse of Horror parody of Split. For the villain, who has to play multiple different personalities and voices they use... Lisa.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

brugroffil posted:

What I love about that episode is that clearly, at one point, the writers understood that racial stereotype jokes can become offensive and just plain not funny to a modern audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CjvHI5luL0

15 years ago this would have been a lovely parody made by some 12 year old on new grounds.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PostNouveau posted:

Any excuse to post this Season 28 clip for everyone to groan at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ&t=45s

You know how you should never read the comments?

I read the comments. :smith:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You know how you should never read the comments?

I read the comments. :smith:

Heh, you actually let that enter your viewing history? Owned.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I know this is old hat but I’ve been streaming season 30 in the background and in episode 11, Marge is trying to get Homer into some pants or something and her voice sounds so loving bad, like, wow. I went back and found a clip of grandma Bouvier from like season 3 or so 4 and it actually sounded better than contemporary Marge. They need to replace her with someone who can actually do the characters voice because she and Lenny are honestly unrecognizable, like, Bart and Lisa sound a little different but Julie Kavner sounds like an entirely different person and it’s jarring as gently caress

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Frog Act posted:

I know this is old hat but I’ve been streaming season 30 in the background and in episode 11, Marge is trying to get Homer into some pants or something and her voice sounds so loving bad, like, wow. I went back and found a clip of grandma Bouvier from like season 3 or so 4 and it actually sounded better than contemporary Marge. They need to replace her with someone who can actually do the characters voice because she and Lenny are honestly unrecognizable, like, Bart and Lisa sound a little different but Julie Kavner sounds like an entirely different person and it’s jarring as gently caress

Behold, the ravages of age! (and doing the Marge voice for 3 decades, probably)

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

They are presumably working very hard on technology to perfectly imitate people's voices, just so that Simpsons episodes can continue to be made after all the main voice actors die of old age. Plus, the computers won't demand pay increases, so there's that to consider.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I only just found out that there was a Treehouse of Horror parody of Split. For the villain, who has to play multiple different personalities and voices they use... Lisa.

Ok, that at least sounds like a pretty clever gag.

I can't imagine they pulled it off, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jollity Farm posted:

They are presumably working very hard on technology to perfectly imitate people's voices, just so that Simpsons episodes can continue to be made after all the main voice actors die of old age. Plus, the computers won't demand pay increases, so there's that to consider.

B’oh!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Jollity Farm posted:

What a bunch of clowns

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Jollity Farm posted:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen a few episodes from season 30 and kind of like some of them. there was a good ralph gag in one episode, "my face has five holes", it might have been the first time I laughed at new simpsons in 15 years at least

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

I've seen a few episodes from season 30 and kind of like some of them. there was a good ralph gag in one episode, "my face has five holes", it might have been the first time I laughed at new simpsons in 15 years at least

that was alway what I liked about the simpsons, it made me laugh

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Bible posted:

Ok, that at least sounds like a pretty clever gag.

I can't imagine they pulled it off, though.

They didn't.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1130325233972391937?s=21

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
they can't all be winners

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
none of them can be winners, in fact

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

You know what wouldn't have a controversial ending?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anything!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The ideal:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm over here chuckling about Frostillicus

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

It's not a self-own if they refuse to give their own show an ending.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

:effort:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Plan Z posted:

Season 11, Episode 8, "Brother's Little Helper":

Principal Skinner holds a Fire Prevention site at the Springfield Elementary Schoolyard. Then a skit featuring Ned and Maude Flanders goes awry. Suddenly, a tidal wave bursts out, which Bart rides a basketball hoop on having flooded the gym, drenching the school yard and saving Ned. Furious at the mess Bart made, Skinner has Homer and Marge come to the school, where they learn Bart has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). Principal Skinner tells Marge and Homer that Bart must take a radical, untested new behavioral medicine called Focusyn or he will have to expel him.

After several failed attempts by Homer, Marge convinces Bart to take the medication and his behavior immediately improves, paying attention in school, being respectful to his parents, and tutoring a Navajo boy in his spare time. One night, however, Marge and Homer come home from a date to find Bart in his room wrapped in aluminum foil and coat hangers on the ceiling. Suffering from drug psychosis and paranoia, he claims Major League Baseball is spying on the town using a satellite. The doctors recommend that Bart go off Focusyn, but he refuses, swallows several handfuls of Focusyn and runs away.

Bart wanders onto a U.S. Army base and manages to hijack a tank. He cuts a swath of destruction through the town and eventually stops at the school. There, he points the tank's cannon into the sky and shoots down a Major League Baseball satellite; inside are detailed documents on everybody's behaviors. Mark McGwire appears, distracts the citizens with a long home run, and hides the evidence under his cap. Marge takes Bart off Focusyn for good and puts him back on Ritalin. Major League Baseball, however, still spies on the Simpson family due to an autographed bat McGwire gave Bart that has a hidden camera.

At least that one had the dingers line

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this dummy needs more attention btw

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

That eyeroll UGHHH! :argh:

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I did like Mel's line, "Not the sky! There's where CLOUDS are born!!"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i never had any issues with the MLB episode, but i'm starting to understand why people disliked it now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always thought the ineptness of the Mark McGwire scene was sort of intentional. You've got the bad acting and the actual bad animation, but what he's doing is lamely stuffing the printout under his cap and then reaches up to "fix" it falling out. It's like, it's supposed to look stupid, because what he's doing is stupid.

It's hard to tell where the line is between, like, diegetically bad and accidentally bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Riptor posted:

this dummy needs more attention btw

Stupid babies need the most attention!