Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I havent played in 18 months. But im gonna slay it up like a scrub loser who has no idea how to wild assault in 2 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I should really play again. I've been on a KOF and Tekken kick lately, but I should at least try and requalify for celestial. I think you fall out eventually right?

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

you must give up playing this hole

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I should really play again. I've been on a KOF and Tekken kick lately, but I should at least try and requalify for celestial. I think you fall out eventually right?

You fall out at the start of every month unless you're top ranked by raw number of wins (iirc you have to get like 600+ wins in a month). Imo it's the worst part of a bad ranked system and makes me dread playing the game at the start of each month because of how tedious it can be to get back in, I only stick with it because once I get in after a couple days and can play with people at/above my level without constant rating updates booting me to a different lobby, it's my favourite modern fighting game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

dprk -i juche.deb posted:

You fall out at the start of every month unless you're top ranked by raw number of wins (iirc you have to get like 600+ wins in a month). Imo it's the worst part of a bad ranked system and makes me dread playing the game at the start of each month because of how tedious it can be to get back in, I only stick with it because once I get in after a couple days and can play with people at/above my level without constant rating updates booting me to a different lobby, it's my favourite modern fighting game.

lol drat, that's actually a pretty intense requirement to stay qualified.

It'd make sense if Celestial was the tippy top of the ladder or something I guess, like Challenger is in League, but once you actually get in to celestial the skill range is insanely wide.

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

lol drat, that's actually a pretty intense requirement to stay qualified.

It'd make sense if Celestial was the tippy top of the ladder or something I guess, like Challenger is in League, but once you actually get in to celestial the skill range is insanely wide.

Yeah, especially at this point in the month, Celestial is basically like the park 2.0, where you could play a top tournament player or someone from floor 10 who just happened to squeak in.

If I was in charge I'd just take a cue from SF6 Master rank and make getting into Celestial unlock a traditional elo-based matchmaking system, and you stay in at the end of the month if you maintain a certain elo. As it is, being able to stay in doesn't say that much about your actual ability — obviously many of the people who do are very good, but you could have a ton of wins with a very negative winrate and still top the leaderboard because it's the only thing you did with your free time all month.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
broken record, but there should really just be a single Elo pool except for a global / same region toggle and maybe a seasonal qualifier / kiddy pool queue for brand new accounts

big games can survive lovely, over-segregated matchmaking systems, but no game stays big forever and queues can never be too fast

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

broken record, but there should really just be a single Elo pool except for a global / same region toggle and maybe a seasonal qualifier / kiddy pool queue for brand new accounts

big games can survive lovely, over-segregated matchmaking systems, but no game stays big forever and queues can never be too fast

Yup

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

oh for sure, I was operating on the assumption that the pixel art floor system is here to stay because daisuke's nephew made it or w/e but replacing the whole thing with an actual matchmaking queue would obviously be best. would also presumably fix Strive's perennial problems with broken setups, lobbies crashing and booting out half the people in them midgame, etc.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dprk -i juche.deb posted:

oh for sure, I was operating on the assumption that the pixel art floor system is here to stay because daisuke's nephew made it or w/e but replacing the whole thing with an actual matchmaking queue would obviously be best. would also presumably fix Strive's perennial problems with broken setups, lobbies crashing and booting out half the people in them midgame, etc.

Lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just want to use rollback to play people from all over, not the 31 other people in my region that got a spot in the first or second lobby

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally got my rear end into Celestial. It was a long journey but I guess I just needed a bigger brain and Ky's Honest Mids

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So I'm back into Strive and played one local in Season 3 with Gio, so I have a solid base to understand Orange WA, but I wanna play Slayer, and don't have experience with Blue WA: Is it something to use in pressure, is doing so a read or a frame trap? Is it an oki tool? How do I most safely slot Blue WA into my pressure and gameplan?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
blue WA is guard crush and is generally used to link your pressure/mixup strings together

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If combo get blocked do blue wa and then bsu.
If combo no blocked do da mappa

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
slayer's 6P is no longer shoulder tackle, but also lmao
https://i.imgur.com/vur9ORO.mp4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is that a double pass-thru dandy or a dash through and dandy back?
It looks like 6p xx dandy, raw dandy xx low

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
c.S > dash cancel > 214 P -> K

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ok weird so theres no bats when he dashes or am i not seeing them?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Double post, may as well make use of it...

Right, close slash. Duh i thought you were showing off 6p from your description and got confused.

Goddamn forward only dandy is gonna kick rear end

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 30, 2024

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Oh yeah no I'm just noting a trade off. Nah his 6P is just an elbow strike now

There are bats they're just hard to see on that color because they're small and white against a bright background.
https://i.imgur.com/ofPmV9O.mp4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TGLT posted:

There are bats they're just hard to see on that color because they're small and white against a bright background. That being said the yellow sparks at the feet indicate a dash cancel
https://i.imgur.com/ofPmV9O.mp4

Thanks!
They're super hard to see.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
For good measure here's his new 6P. No clue how actually good it is I just know I'm gonna miss the world's most ignorant button

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fingers crossed it still beats or trades with supers

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Aww boo, dash cancel loses to throw even on hit so it's fake as hell. Can probably still knowledge check some one with it or find some way to incorporate it into his game plan. e: Make them scared enough of K dandy to not mash after a block I guess.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 30, 2024

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, historically, every Slayer mix has been fake as hell: you need a spot to potentially pile bunker them for a counter hit lol

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

I will never be able to not read that as crouch Slash and I will always be confused for at least 10 seconds

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2 is crouch like #2 for poopin

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i recently picked this game up since it was on sale and i'm enjoying millia

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've tried to get into this game a few times now, but the Oceanic ranked lobby is dead, and the Japanese one is perceptibly laggy even to my noob arse. All the Australian players play in unranked, so I played against a couple of people there, but the skill difference was, predictably, massive. In both cases, they obliterated me in about 20 seconds in the first match, then in the second, they started beating me by spamming a single move. Is that a normal way to try to teach a new player you meet in the wild? It just felt like BM to me.

Any options left that don't involve begging strangers on some Discord somewhere to teach me?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

The beating you with one move thing might be a knowledge check thing yeah, might be you're not using burst or roman cancel or teching throws or countering with 6p or even just correctly blocking a thing, and there's very little you can learn from a match like that if you just don't know what to do. But it definitely could be some player telling you 'you'll need to learn to deal with this.' For example if an Axl or Bridget was just smacking you around with the same long range move all day you can probably just punch their attack with 6p and then get in and take your turn off of that, but I wouldn't blame anyone for not knowing they could punch the yo yo to damage the Bridget.

As for where to go to learn in order to avoid that situation I only have a few vague suggestions. The game itself has a training mode that will show off all it's various mechanics, it also lets you look up matches between by player or character so you can see what other people using your character do against whatever character was beating you and youtube has entire channels devoted to these replays where you can look up the same. If you're really just starting out and unfamiliar with fighting games you'll probably see some stuff you don't understand and in that case you can google dustloop, a site that will give you all the details you could ever want behind various mechanics, frame timings that you don't need to worry about yet, basic and medium combo routes for any and every character, hitbox info to see what move was beating you and why, etc.

From there we can answer questions and there are tons of fgc creators who give varying levels of indepth analysis on different characters. I'm a fan of LordKnight and Diaphone but I don't think they have guides for every character. KizzyKay is pretty great too.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 31, 2024

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

then in the second, they started beating me by spamming a single move. Is that a normal way to try to teach a new player you meet in the wild? It just felt like BM to me.

It's impossible to know what they intended, but rather than interpreting it as BM it's more useful to think of it as an opportunity to learn — by doing the same move over and over again, they're giving you the chance to recognize there's a move you don't know the counter to and then try out different stuff until it works. If you're unable to figure out the counter live, it gives you something to work on next time you go into training mode.

FractalSandwich posted:

Any options left that don't involve begging strangers on some Discord somewhere to teach me?

You could try the goonsgarden discord linked in the OP to try linking up with other goons for learning games if that's more palatable. Not sure how much Oceania representation there is in there though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

FractalSandwich posted:

I've tried to get into this game a few times now, but the Oceanic ranked lobby is dead, and the Japanese one is perceptibly laggy even to my noob arse. All the Australian players play in unranked, so I played against a couple of people there, but the skill difference was, predictably, massive. In both cases, they obliterated me in about 20 seconds in the first match, then in the second, they started beating me by spamming a single move. Is that a normal way to try to teach a new player you meet in the wild? It just felt like BM to me.

Think of #2 as a learning opportunity, they're basically waiting for you to find the counter play to that move before they start mixing things up. If you have a replay we might be able to help you figure that out.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Might sound odd but if you encounter someone who seems skilled and willing to rematch you send them a message that you're just learning and would love to fight their worst character or have some light matches to learn. Fighting games are kind of all about community in smaller locales so getting a buddy can make the learning process much more fun. A lot of guilty players have been playing for years and years so they really have like thousands of hours more on the characters than even strive time ha.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Absent any in-game communication, spamming one move is probably the best you could do when it comes to teaching someone something since it gives them something predictable to respond to.

If you're getting beat by them spamming literally one move, you may want to spend some time in arcade mode or the missions section of the dojo (which are really a long series of focused tutorials) since it sounds like you're missing some fundamentals. But sometimes when people say they got beat by one move they mean "they just spammed fireballs and kept anti-airing me when I jumped over" or it's a slayer/elephelt where they have one move has like 3 different mix-ups that come out of it, which are different situations and may just need a lot of practice.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
A big part of fighting games is trying to figure out where your opponent is weak and then hammering them on that weakness. If some one's trying to be disrespectful they'll be teabagging or shittalking you in the chat - exploiting a gap in your opponent's knowledge by using a move they don't know how to deal with is just playing the game. If you stick with this, or any fighting game, you'll eventually find yourself on the other side of it. You shouldn't feel bad doing it and you shouldn't read it the wrong way if your opponent does it to you. As others said, use it as a learning opportunity. You can ask in here or a discord - but you can also play back the replay with the input history on, identify how they're doing whatever they're doing, then record that action in training mode to test out ways around it.

Here's a timestamp for a video about GGST's training mode showing off some ways you can use the mode to figure out those sort of situations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USb5mgfJRBU&t=457s

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
There's also likely an Oceana discord for guilty gear where you can pick up friendlies with people!

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

yook posted:

or it's a slayer/elephelt where they have one move has like 3 different mix-ups that come out of it, which are different situations and may just need a lot of practice.

Yeah this is why it's hard to tell exactly what was going on without any more context. One move could actually be four moves.

Also yeah teaching by doing is a tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkapfBYIfc&t=53s

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks all. I should say: this is the first fighting game I've played with randos, yeah, but I'm not completely new; I've played a little bit of this, BBCF and MBAACC with a few of my friends, and then I played in the Japanese lobby for, I dunno, maybe a couple of hours total, until my rank dropped a bit and the matches got even enough for me to tell the lag apart from a pure skill issue.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 31, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Getting destroyed by one move when someone is way better than you is a time honored tradition that always feels kinda frustrating. Especially when it's a really good move or a knowledge check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Getting destroyed by one move when someone is way better than you is a time honored tradition that always feels kinda frustrating. Especially when it's a really good move or a knowledge check

The only way to soothe the pain is to do the same to a newer player yourself: continue the cycle of trauma