Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I use my PC at my desk but also from my couch to watch stuff, and just put the keyboard/mouse on the table next to me. I use Magnifier when I'm trying to navigate the screen from the sofa, and this works well, however it's annoying that when I first open the program a small window opens that goes on top of everything else. I just minimize it and then it's fine, but is there a way to make it automatically minimize when I first open it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

doesn't maintaining an atmosphere require a magnetosphere as well? hence why mars has none

OK, also inject a lot of molten iron into the moon's core, and stick some rockets on the equator to give it enough spin that the iron does something useful. Probably do that before you add the air.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

OK, also inject a lot of molten iron into the moon's core, and stick some rockets on the equator to give it enough spin that the iron does something useful. Probably do that before you add the air.

Got it; add people, then iron, then rockets, and finally air

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bonus option: add enough mass to the moon for it to retain an atmosphere, and then give it said atmosphere, and you can walk around without a spacesuit, perfectly safely.

The atmosphere needs to be a very specific composition.

One might say you're being too "abstract".

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Why don't you put polysporin on a piercing? I'd put it on any other wound

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was told it was fine to use anti-bacterial ointments, not sure where that advice came from. Although what I found most effective was to soak the area in warm salt water before bed, rinse, and apply a bit of unscented lotion to keep it from getting too dry.

Hydrogen peroxide or anything that also kills skin cells is a no-no because it increases the chances of funky scars forming.

Piercing/tattoo shops love advocating holistic solutions so maybe that's why. Tea tree oil will dry the poo poo out of a piercing so maybe avoid anybody who recommends that. Salt just happens to actually be effective.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why don't you put polysporin on a piercing? I'd put it on any other wound

You absolutely should. It's an idiotic myth spread by idiots that don't know/trust science or medicine.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why does it hurt to shave with a dull razor?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The blade is less cutting the hair, more pulling through it at that point, I think.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Along the same line, why is a regular disposable blade practically unusable after a week or two but an electric can shave fine for months? My Braun recommends changing the blade and foil every 18 months! I do it around 6 months but that's still exponentially longer than I'd expect from a disposable or even a high quality blade on a manual.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

regulargonzalez posted:

Along the same line, why is a regular disposable blade practically unusable after a week or two but an electric can shave fine for months? My Braun recommends changing the blade and foil every 18 months! I do it around 6 months but that's still exponentially longer than I'd expect from a disposable or even a high quality blade on a manual.

A razor works like a knife, while a shaver works like scissors, so the blades don't need to be as sharp.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why do (American) shoe sizes describe the length and width but not the height?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They don’t make the same shoe in different heights

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Marx Headroom posted:

Would it be possible, using contemporary materials, to build a log cabin on the moon that you could hang out in without wearing a spacesuit?

1 atm = 15 psi, and even soft woods have strengths in the (low) hundreds of psi, so structurally you should be fine - the structure should be able to be made strong enough with throughbolts etc. to maintain a 1 atm differential for at least a little while (or do the spacesuit trick with 5psi pure oxygen, although that's not recommended in a flammable environment).

If you use irradiated wood, which is basically internally plasticised wood, you probably won't need a lot of sealant to make the place airtight enough to be able to spend an hour or two sans spacesuit.

Apparently there are areas on the moon that keep a fairly constant 65F so we can put the cabin there and ignore structural issues due to extreme heat or cold, but I'd expect that the filler/wood structure would do something odd in vacuum conditions so long-term structural health probably isn't great.

Of course, the other problem is that sending stuff to the moon costs about $500,000/kg, and to make an approx 10x10 log cabin with 8-inch walls (20cm) you need around 0.2*(4*3x2.5+2*3*3) or close enough to 10 cubic metres of wood (it's 2*3*3 because you can't get away with a dirt floor), which at around 600 kg/m3 for traditional log cabin woods means you're going to need $3 billion plus land cost and labor.

Estimating a moon outhouse is left as an excercise for the reader.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hyperlynx posted:

Why does it hurt to shave with a dull razor?

The blade gets little bumps and notches and jagged bits that scratch your skin.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

What's weird to me about razors, is that I last replaced the blades in my Gillete Mach 3, with a generic blade, during lockdown. This week I got as good a shave with it as I ever did when it was new. I don't know how that works, but I do know WFH and only shaving twice a week has saved me a ton of money.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

A follow-up:

Hyperlynx posted:

Anyway, my small question: I have a very fluffy cat, and when I brush him it builds up a static charge and, as I stroke him with my free hand, he gets zapped. I don't think he likes it very much (heck, I don't).

Would an anti-static wristband help?

Now for the silly question: would it go on me, or the cat (somehow)? By brushing the cat, wouldn't I be charging his fur, rather than charging myself?

I bought a wristband, put it on myself (not the cat) and it worked like a charm!

mystes
May 31, 2006

thepopmonster posted:

Estimating a moon outhouse is left as an excercise for the reader.
We already have moon outhouses

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I have shoulder-length, very thin and straight hair. I usually wash it every other day. I've moved somewhere with very hard water, and my hair is somehow both greasier and less soft than it was before. Could anyone recommend a shampoo that's good for hard water?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

DildenAnders posted:

I have shoulder-length, very thin and straight hair. I usually wash it every other day. I've moved somewhere with very hard water, and my hair is somehow both greasier and less soft than it was before. Could anyone recommend a shampoo that's good for hard water?

I love Biolage's clean reset to get my hair and scalp unfucked. I also wash my hair every other day or so and I haven't had any issues with it harming my hair (sometimes clarifying shampoos are best as a once a week thing). I do make sure to use a good conditioner too on my ends but not my scalp. It's expensive but I swear by it. For your reference my hair is thick, wavy, and is about mid-back length.

You might also try giving your hair a vinegar rinse every couple weeks or so. Mix a cup of water into a shower-safe (so not glass) pitcher and dilute it with water. Rinse your hair with it in between shampoo and conditioner. The vinegar smell will go away after drying (apple cider vinegar might be a less powerfully smelly option) and it's also a quick way to clear gunk out of your hair without turning it into dry straw. Saves me a lot of heartache in sweaty months and in cold dry ones.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

DildenAnders posted:

For stuff available at a local grocery store, L'Oreal EverPure works well for me. Go with the "volume" one. If you want to splurge, my wife uses this Olaplex stuff that is really good.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok i'm definitely losing my mind. i have an electric water kettle from zwilling. in the pictures below, I've filled it with four cups of water, using measuring cups. Four cups is a bit less than one liter (0.95)

first of all, on the cups side, it's at a little below six cups (???)

and on the liters side, it's around 0.7 liters???

I must be missing something here but I can't figure out what. not only do both scales appear to be wrong, but they are also not even in proportion to each other (5.75 cups is around 1.36 liters)

:wtc:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
a cup of coffee is 5oz, not 8

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Coffee pots and kettles use their own definition of cups. Usually 4-5 oz vs a 6 (8?) oz "standard" size

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Weigh it to gain more exact knowledge.

There are different size cups. US Legal, US customary, Imperial just being three of them.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok that makes sense, thanks! they must be using one cup as 6 ounces, hence when I put in four US cups (8 oz) it went up to 6

I guess I should just stick to the liters side. 60 g of coffee per 1 liter as a starting "standard" point, and I have a scale to weigh the coffee

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been going through all my old crap trying to inventory everything. Over the years, I have collected a buttload of various video cables/connectors (coaxial, RCA phono, etc) Back in the 80s/90s/early 00s, I basically kept Radio Shack in business buying these things. I no longer need any of these (except for a couple here and there).

I don't want to dump them in the trash. Any ideas what to do with them?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been going through all my old crap trying to inventory everything. Over the years, I have collected a buttload of various video cables/connectors (coaxial, RCA phono, etc) Back in the 80s/90s/early 00s, I basically kept Radio Shack in business buying these things. I no longer need any of these (except for a couple here and there).

there are places that handle electronic waste specifically, i'd just do a google map search for "electronic waste recycle" in your area

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Earwicker posted:

there are places that handle electronic waste specifically, i'd just do a google map search for "electronic waste recycle" in your area

There's a place near me. I know they take stuff like old VCRs/DVD players, etc. I'll have to give them a call.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you know any artsy people, you might ask them if they could do anything with it. Every artist I know is constantly collecting weird stuff, a sufficient cache of thematically connected weird stuff that could all go together in some project might be appealing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mister Kingdom posted:

There are definitely monetarily-poor video artists who could use these items today, but finding them might be a little harder

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Goodwill/vinnies/salval/thrift stores always have bins of cables like that for sale, and people buy them. I'd donate anything that is still usable.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
They will recycle. They are full of copper, one of the better paying commonly recycled metals.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was making some peanut butter in my food processor today and it started smoking, presumably from pushing the motor too hard. I shut it off as soon as I noticed, but there was a bit of smoke in the air and a distinct smell of burning. Assuming it still turns on at all, is it likely to be unsafe to use or can I carry on as normal until it does stop working?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Gross and very silly question:
Farts :tutbutt::gas: You ever have a major smelly SBD and you know immediately as it leaves your butt, that it's going to be especially smelly? Ever had one like that, that feels especially warm on the way out? And no I'm not talking about sharting, this is just gas.

Observation: smellier farts are more likely to feel physically warm on the butthole/buttcheeks of the farter

Some friends and I have discussed this (drunk around a campfire, so not in a serious context, just in a fun speculative kind of way), so I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this, although I don't know if it's universal experience. But all 5 people concurred that they have felt this, so it must be at least somewhat common. Anyway we had two hypotheses:

Hypothesis 1: the fart is in fact warmer in temperature.
This could be due to the biological processes that are associated with more smell-making, also produce more heat, making the gas actually warmer. The farter then feels this on their butt as the fart escapes.

Hypothesis 2: the sensation you feel is not warmth, although it feels like it; it is actually mild chemical irritation... like a chemical burn but not that bad.
I believe farts are mostly methane, but the smelly part is other trace gases, iirc most commonly sulfur containing ones. So I wonder if a higher concentration of SOx or hydrogen sulfide or whatever, is actually irritating to your skin or butthole, and activates the same receptors as heat does, making the farter think the fart feels warm.

Wondering if any biology, medicine, or flatulence experts itt can weigh in on this pressing matter.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 28, 2023

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I agree that smellier farts often feel warmer on the way out and sometimes you know its going to stink before you smell it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The gasses inside your body are at your internal body temperature, and the more you release the warmer the fart feels.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

The gasses inside your body are at your internal body temperature, and the more you release the warmer the fart feels.

Hmm, so
Hypothesis 3: the smellier fart is not meaningfully different in composition or temperature, but simply larger; the greater mass released causes more perceptible warming on the buttcheeks, which tend to be cooler than body temperature

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Your butthole does have some taste-like receptors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

alnilam posted:

Hmm, so
Hypothesis 3: the smellier fart is not meaningfully different in composition or temperature, but simply larger; the greater mass released causes more perceptible warming on the buttcheeks, which tend to be cooler than body temperature

the air on the buttcheeks will in most weather under 37 degrees be closer to ambient than your internal body temperature

edit: eat a buncha beans and go sit on a heater for a while, then eat the same amount of beans but sit normally.