Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Plenty of people don't remember their PIN and have to whip out their phone to look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Inserting your care into the device doesn't automatically mean you have to type a pin though. It's the same data being read from the card either way, just one is more reliable.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I've never seen a chip reader that doesn't ask for PIN, tap is always faster. You can just lie and say that the tap doesn't work, tape a piece of paper somewhere on it that says the tap reader doesn't work.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tap is more pleasant than Chip. I don’t like being bossed around by the reader. “Insert card!” “Don’t remove card!” “Remove card!”

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The tap has the very very slight advantage that you just tap once and put your card away; you don't have to watch the screen for a few seconds and wait for it to say you can remove your card now. But if the tap doesn't take and people are still insisting on trying again, that's certainly very annoying of them. Inserting is nbd.

E: i have never been asked for a PIN with tapping, inserting, or even swiping a credit card in the US (however with debit card, both methods ask for a PIN)... could this be a country/regional thing?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
tap is far more accessible for people with issues in fine motor skills and/or vision

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
There was a movie from the 2000s that was a documentary without words, just film of people from different cultures and countries. One scene had some guys working a smelter (I think?) and wearing goggles. I can't think of the title of the movie, anyone happen to know what I'm talking about?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Eason the Fifth posted:

There was a movie from the 2000s that was a documentary without words, just film of people from different cultures and countries. One scene had some guys working a smelter (I think?) and wearing goggles. I can't think of the title of the movie, anyone happen to know what I'm talking about?

Was that in the last of the Qatsi trilogy?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

The tap has the very very slight advantage that you just tap once and put your card away; you don't have to watch the screen for a few seconds and wait for it to say you can remove your card now. But if the tap doesn't take and people are still insisting on trying again, that's certainly very annoying of them. Inserting is nbd.

E: i have never been asked for a PIN with tapping, inserting, or even swiping a credit card in the US (however with debit card, both methods ask for a PIN)... could this be a country/regional thing?

All the signage in Canada specifically says Chip+PIN, but i get the impression that Canada has had both chip and tap for quite a few years longer than the US so maybe it's just because we started chip at a different time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tap just works every time in the EU. Is this a North American thing?

Exception being most banks ask for a pin every X transactions as a security measure.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Exception being most banks ask for a pin every X transactions as a security measure.

I think the rollout of tap was very late in the US compared to EU and Canada, and plenty of shops still don't have it yet.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 30, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Grassy Knowles posted:

Was that in the last of the Qatsi trilogy?

That's it, thank you! :cool:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think CC companies try to cheap out on the NFC chips. My "nicer" cards (feel higher quality, like Capital One Venture X) seem to always work, whereas low end / cheaper cards are much more hit or miss.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I think he means that the tap reader is lovely and busted and fails most of the time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Plenty of people don't remember their PIN and have to whip out their phone to look it up.

Can a credit card even have a PIN? I’m confused by this.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

In Canada they do, swiping doesn't ask for PIN but swipe hasn't been the standard for well over a decade, possibly 15 years now? Chip always asks for PIN and tap usually doesn't.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Are there any indoor sports equipment for cardio that you guys would recommend? I think I've got severe GAD or something, I can't get out of my own drat head. I'll go for a jog, or cycle, or swim, and I'm just stuck inside my own head with a negative monologue berating me constantly and making me care so much about what random passersby are thinking of me. It's such a terrible feeling to deal with and it inevitably cuts my activities short. Figured I can at least carry on building up my cardiovascular health from the comfort of my own home. Not sure whether to get a rowing machine, or stationary bike or what.

PS: I suffer from regular and rather awful headaches / migraines. I'll deal with a dull headache at the back of my skull for a couple of days about 4 times a month, it makes me miserable from the near-constant pain. Or I'll draw a lucky straw and get a migraine that knocks me on my rear end for a solid day once a month. Coincidentally - for headaches at least - exercise seems to immediately banish it?? What gives? I had a dull aching headache for two days, went cycling, got my blood pumping. Poof, headache gone. It returned after a few days and I succumbed to the thought of having it for a bit longer. Decided to go for a jog. Same result, I'm sitting here with a relatively clear head and no headache. Is it just a lucky coincidence?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 30, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RCarr posted:

Now that I think about it, my US credit card, which is a travel-oriented one, had me set up a PIN when activated and I have never used it once, not in the US or Chile or central Europe. They did helpfully note when setting up the PIN that I may need it for "some terminals in certain international locations, especially unattended terminals like gas stations"

So yes I think it's both country and situation dependent.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

Are there any indoor sports equipment for cardio that you guys would recommend? I think I've got severe GAD or something, I can't get out of my own drat head. I'll go for a jog, or cycle, or swim, and I'm just stuck inside my own head with a negative monologue berating me constantly and making me care so much about what random passersby are thinking of me. It's such a terrible feeling to deal with and it inevitably cuts my activities short. Figured I can at least carry on building up my cardiovascular health from the comfort of my own home. Not sure whether to get a rowing machine, or stationary bike or what.

I'd put money into a therapist if I were you. But with that said, rowing is supposedly very good all round, if you only want one big rear end machine in your home. And you can replace the bad internal monologue with good semi external monologue using something called "pod casts". Get something engaging and fun to distract your thoughts. And also, go for walks where you pretend that you're actually going somewhere for real so it doesn't "seem weird". That will build up your confidence hopefully.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
yeah going outside without a podcast or audiobook or something is hosed up i wouldn't do that poo poo

the best excercise equipment for your home is one that you'll actually use, whether it's a stationary bike or treadmill or elliptical or rowing machine or whatever else, just try to pick something that you think you can do regularly

Nevil Maskelyne fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 30, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can sometimes find excercise equipment for cheap second hand. It's good to check.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can sometimes find excercise equipment for cheap second hand. It's good to check.

Sometimes for craigslist/facebook marketplace/etc = January/Feb/Mar

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Qubee posted:

Are there any indoor sports equipment for cardio that you guys would recommend?

I've got Various Health Issues and I'm very partial to my cardio climber. It's halfway between an elliptical and a stair stepper. I can't be trusted to work out for anything more than 15 minutes a day and on my cardio climber that's enough to gently caress me up in a good way without also loving me up in a bad way. I got a Sunny brand one that was surprisingly compact and sturdy, I think a lot of other brands tend to be bigger. It's easy to fit in a living room so it faces the TV if that's something you need also.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Qubee posted:

PS: I suffer from regular and rather awful headaches / migraines. I'll deal with a dull headache at the back of my skull for a couple of days about 4 times a month, it makes me miserable from the near-constant pain. Or I'll draw a lucky straw and get a migraine that knocks me on my rear end for a solid day once a month. Coincidentally - for headaches at least - exercise seems to immediately banish it?? What gives? I had a dull aching headache for two days, went cycling, got my blood pumping. Poof, headache gone. It returned after a few days and I succumbed to the thought of having it for a bit longer. Decided to go for a jog. Same result, I'm sitting here with a relatively clear head and no headache. Is it just a lucky coincidence?

For the exercise equipment, what are you listening to when you do your activity? Maybe it's less about staying in a private place, and more about getting out of your head/being distracted/focusing on something else. I will listen to podcasts sometimes instead of music because that will let my mind wander, though honestly the trade off is I don't work out as intensely as if I'm listening to music instead. But if I forget my earbuds and I'm left with my own thoughts, I might as well not show up.

As for actual equipment, anything for cardio will be good, as long as you use it. Anything that just gathers dust is a waste.

You seem to ask a fair amount of health questions in this thread (which is fine, that's part of what this thread is for). I seem to recall that you might have mentioned snoring and someone probably pointed to sleep apnea/CPAP machine. If you do have a breathing issue/apnea it can lead to headaches.

I also used to get frequent headaches, but found that I was pre-diabetic, and a lot of those headaches was caused by eating garbage food and too much sugar. I stopped drinking soda, and also (slowly and painfully) cut down on my sweets intake. Suddenly, headaches have been severely reduced since then. Still happen from time to time, but nowhere near as frequent. It may not be too much sugar, but you might be developing a sensitivity to certain kinds of foods.

I would recommend keeping a food diary and then cross reference what you ate (and how much) on days when you have bad headaches. Then maybe you might find a pattern. You could be lucky and it could be something specific (chili peppers, chocolate, hard cheese). If you're not lucky you might have to start eliminating things one by one, or it can be a combination of factors.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

In Canada they do, swiping doesn't ask for PIN but swipe hasn't been the standard for well over a decade, possibly 15 years now? Chip always asks for PIN and tap usually doesn't.

What’s the point? The PIN is kinda pointless as a security measure if you can just swipe and ignore it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Those trucks that have signs on them that say stay back 200 get we are not responsible for broken windshields will that actually hold up?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RCarr posted:

In the Netherlands, credit card payments are rare since we've had bank cards since forever. This is currently annoying because Dutch people who want to travel further than the directly neighbouring countries likely will need to get a credit card as well since bank cards aren't accepted everywhere. It's changing though - the next generation of Dutch bank cards will do double duty as credit cards so you can use that card everywhere.

Where was I going with this... ah yes, credit card usage in the Netherlands. For foreign visitors, many payment terminals do accept credit cards but they will always always ask for a PIN.
This actually has caused problems for people coming from a non-PIN country who realize, once they're here, that they cannot pay nor withdraw any money without figuring out their card's PIN code they never set.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

I've never seen a chip reader that doesn't ask for PIN, tap is always faster. You can just lie and say that the tap doesn't work, tape a piece of paper somewhere on it that says the tap reader doesn't work.

The usa was exclusively doing chip-and-signature everywhere for years because they didn't want the cost of rolling out new machines that understand chip-and-pin or some poo poo. Maybe it's related to updating ancient backend systems I dunno?
Even now I usually only have to enter a PIN for debit card transactions.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 30, 2023

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

In the Netherlands, credit card payments are rare since we've had bank cards since forever. This is currently annoying because Dutch people who want to travel further than the directly neighbouring countries likely will need to get a credit card as well since bank cards aren't accepted everywhere. It's changing though - the next generation of Dutch bank cards will do double duty as credit cards so you can use that card everywhere.

Where was I going with this... ah yes, credit card usage in the Netherlands. For foreign visitors, many payment terminals do accept credit cards but they will always always ask for a PIN.
This actually has caused problems for people coming from a non-PIN country who realize, once they're here, that they cannot pay nor withdraw any money without figuring out their card's PIN code they never set.

lol yeah, as a Dutchman midway through his 30s I've never even had a credit card nor have I needed one. I do remember asking my dad in the past if I could use his when I needed to sometimes, like when buying this account. I don't travel much though, but if I am going outside the EU I'll probably get one? Also with the tap to pay thing you don't have to enter a pin here unless or until you go over a certain amount so that in the event you lost your card or whatever the potential loss is limited if someone uses your card. It used to be 50 euros I think but they raised it to something like 75 during covid times.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The usa was exclusively doing chip-and-signature everywhere for years because they didn't want the cost of rolling out new machines that understand chip-and-pin or some poo poo. Maybe it's related to updating ancient backend systems I dunno?
Even now I usually only have to enter a PIN for debit card transactions.

Point of sale systems are expensive as gently caress and as long as the old way was working well enough, i have to imagine it was pretty low priority to change over.

If I had to guess why other countries changed so much earlier, I would guess government policy forced their hand in some way. I'd be curious to know if anyone knows more though.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Banks and businesses here realised that removing friction from transactions makes people more likely to spend money. When all you have to do is tap your card and go the hassle of that impulse purchase will push enough people over that it everyone wants to see it happen.

PIN's are also only required on purchases over $200 here so even stuff like grocery shopping frequently doesn't require you to remember your number.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Inceltown posted:

Banks and businesses here realised that removing friction from transactions makes people more likely to spend money. When all you have to do is tap your card and go the hassle of that impulse purchase will push enough people over that it everyone wants to see it happen.

PIN's are also only required on purchases over $200 here so even stuff like grocery shopping frequently doesn't require you to remember your number.

Oh for a weekly grocery bill under $200…

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Why are some people so adamant about using tap vs. chip on cc readers?

i thought that became a lot bigger during covid since you can tap a card without making actual physical contact but a chip reader means your card is actually inserted into the reader, therefore possibly transferring germs from previous cards

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

alnilam posted:

Point of sale systems are expensive as gently caress and as long as the old way was working well enough, i have to imagine it was pretty low priority to change over.

If I had to guess why other countries changed so much earlier, I would guess government policy forced their hand in some way. I'd be curious to know if anyone knows more though.

I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with the maximum transaction surcharge allowed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is there a thread for practitioners of martial arts? Basically i want to ask around for which style(s) of martial arts might be best suited to me, to take classes in. I looked in the Kayfabe Octagon but it seems to be more wrestling and MMA oriented, and I didn't see any in YLLS.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

alnilam posted:

Is there a thread for practitioners of martial arts? Basically i want to ask around for which style(s) of martial arts might be best suited to me, to take classes in. I looked in the Kayfabe Octagon but it seems to be more wrestling and MMA oriented, and I didn't see any in YLLS.

It’s in AT.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Do people in general actually know and pay attention to which hand an engagement ring goes on? I bought myself a really lovely ring but now that it's arrived I realise it looks super engagement-ring-like. It also is a little bit smaller than I expected so it only fits my ring finger and not on my second or third fingers like I expected.

Basically if I wear it on my other hand, is everyone still going to assume I've gotten engaged? I will pay to get it sized up slightly if that's the case cause that sounds incredibly annoying to keep correcting.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

Do people in general actually know and pay attention to which hand an engagement ring goes on? I bought myself a really lovely ring but now that it's arrived I realise it looks super engagement-ring-like. It also is a little bit smaller than I expected so it only fits my ring finger and not on my second or third fingers like I expected.

Basically if I wear it on my other hand, is everyone still going to assume I've gotten engaged? I will pay to get it sized up slightly if that's the case cause that sounds incredibly annoying to keep correcting.

I have worn a ring on my right-hand (not the marrying hand) ring finger for tqwo decades its fine, plus if someone is being weird you can always swap it to the left hand to try to dissuade them

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Organza Quiz posted:

People who care about that poo poo are going to care deeply about what finger it is on so you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ive wondered is CC tapping any less secure

what with all the skimming going round