Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I'm about to pull the trigger on an Airbrush and compressor. Looking online I came down this airbrush:

Badger 105 Patriot http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Br...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I chose it on price / options for a beginners brush and it seems like a good fit. I'm having some issues figuring out the compressor part. I don't mind finding adapters and stuff, I'm just not sure on what the "good enough / not lovely" choice would be. The ones I am looking at are:

Passche http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJPWYM/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1JLS1XU3CI9F8
Badger http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UH7CAY/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Help me not suck at buying this stuff. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ptier posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Airbrush and compressor. Looking online I came down this airbrush:

I chose it on price / options for a beginners brush and it seems like a good fit. I'm having some issues figuring out the compressor part. I don't mind finding adapters and stuff, I'm just not sure on what the "good enough / not lovely" choice would be. The ones I am looking at are:

Passche http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJPWYM/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1JLS1XU3CI9F8
Badger http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UH7CAY/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have the Patriot 105 and I hate it so much I stopped trying to airbrush stuff. Paint just turns to gum in the cup almost instantly. It makes me angry just thinking about it.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Jonny Nox posted:

I have the Patriot 105 and I hate it so much I stopped trying to airbrush stuff. Paint just turns to gum in the cup almost instantly. It makes me angry just thinking about it.

What would you recommend as a good beginner brush?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ptier posted:

What would you recommend as a good beginner brush?

I bought this and it's great, but it's not really in the same price bracket. Maybe if you can find it on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Eclipse-Action-Airbrush-Gravity/dp/B000BQKFAI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ptier posted:

I like the way both those compressors' bodies have identical shape and vent hole patterns, as well as obviously identical regulators and feet. I'd love to be rich enough to buy both and compare them to my also similar looking Master compressor. I figure the guts are probably different (the heat sinks obviously are) but it still makes me :tinfoil:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The track is four sections, and yeah, you bend them via with the help of hot water. (Instruction note: "Bend with the help of hot water, do not use boiling water in any case!"

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Swagger Dagger posted:

I bought this and it's great, but it's not really in the same price bracket. Maybe if you can find it on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Eclipse-Action-Airbrush-Gravity/dp/B000BQKFAI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Yea I hear you, I think I'm going to get this one just to get the right tool. I'm also looking into stenciling some t-shirts so its going to get some use.

Edit: I went back to the patriot. Just need a compressor that won't kill me and isn't too loud.

ptier fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 10, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

What paint and thinner were you using?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Fwiw I love my patriot 105. I have no problem running tamiya paint/thinner through it and it cleans very nicely.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Troll Bridgington posted:

Fwiw I love my patriot 105. I have no problem running tamiya paint/thinner through it and it cleans very nicely.

This is what I would be using it for. drat you all! :dance:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I can't imagine paint gumming up in an airbrush cup is a function of the airbrush?

I also have the Badger Patriot 105 and it has done pretty well for me using Vallejo. Idunno.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Rotten Cookies posted:

I can't imagine paint gumming up in an airbrush cup is a function of the airbrush?

I also have the Badger Patriot 105 and it has done pretty well for me using Vallejo. Idunno.

I'm gonna try the 105 out first. Right now I'm just trying to narrow down the compressor to something that isn't crap.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

The track is four sections, and yeah, you bend them via with the help of hot water. (Instruction note: "Bend with the help of hot water, do not use boiling water in any case!"

Weird. What kit/manufacturer? Good luck and post pictures.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ensign Expendable posted:

I bought a sweet respirator and it makes me sound like Darth Vader. Worth it just for that, plus I guess it prevents my lungs from being filled with resin dust.

I'm gonna need to know the brand and model

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Midjack posted:

What paint and thinner were you using?

Vallejo model color, Vallejo model air

Tried Vallejo thinner, water, badger thinner I think, I tried making it thin, I tried thick, high pressure, low pressure, slowly pulling the needle back, quickly pulling it back.

Eventually it worked a little bit, then I started getting dry tip, then it went back to step 1.

Then I gave up.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Weird. What kit/manufacturer? Good luck and post pictures.

Revell, 1/72 Leo 2:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny Nox posted:

Vallejo model color, Vallejo model air

Tried Vallejo thinner, water, badger thinner I think, I tried making it thin, I tried thick, high pressure, low pressure, slowly pulling the needle back, quickly pulling it back.

Eventually it worked a little bit, then I started getting dry tip, then it went back to step 1.

Then I gave up.

That sounds like old/bad paint, improper psi for the paint and possibly a bent/scratched up needle.

If you are getting bubbles in the cup and backflushing isnt working you should send it in for a rebuild.

You can also mail me the brush and I will soak it in solvent and run it through my ultrasonic cleaner a few times before lubing it up and testing it.

PM if you are interested, I have troubleshooted for a lot a people before and the problem was almost always from poor maintenance

I have the full vallejo model air line and i can give you a 100% definitive answer for how much to thin and what psi

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 11, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fauxtool posted:

That sounds like old/bad paint, improper psi for the paint and possibly a bent/scratched up needle.

If you are getting bubbles in the cup and backflushing isnt working you should send it in for a rebuild.

You can also mail me the brush and I will soak it in solvent and run it through my ultrasonic cleaner a few times before lubing it up and testing it.

PM if you are interested, I have troubleshooted for a lot a people before and the problem was almost always from poor maintenance

I have the full vallejo model air line and i can give you a 100% definitive answer for how much to thin and what psi

:patriot:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Take this offer Johnny Nox. The experience you had was very weird.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, sounds like something out of the ordinary was going on.

Even the cheapest, most knockoff garbage chinese airbrush would give a month or two of use before it kicked the bucket. And that Badger is a decent airbrush, so it should've served you well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jonny Nox posted:

I use the exact same airbrush and it works just fine for me. :iiam:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Thanks for the advice and offers guys.

I pulled it out and took a look. The needle is actually bent at the tip, so I'm going to have to replace that. Not in the cards right now, regardless of price.

I think I want to re-work my air source too. Either get a moisture trap and a fine-adjust pressure valve or just get a dedicated hobby compressor. This setup was always fine on my old Iwata.

I'm kind of weirded out by the bent needle. I didn't think it was like that when I put it away. :shrug:

Either way, brushes are working great for the kind of stuff I'm working on right now.

Fauxtool posted:

This was an insanely generous offer. I might take you up on the PMs part once I get a new needle.

edit:

aaaaanyways!

Photo!

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 11, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's a wicked rad paint job.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's a wicked rad paint job.

Revel put some really nice decals in this particular kit.

Good thing too, anything but thin, strong, and clingy would have been disastrous.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

Thanks for the advice and offers guys.

I pulled it out and took a look. The needle is actually bent at the tip, so I'm going to have to replace that. Not in the cards right now, regardless of price.

PM me your mailing address/info, and I'll throw a needle in the mail to you. I ordered a needle and whoever the picker was at Amazon sent me an entire package of 6 instead of just the one. Score!

-----------------------------------

In model show news, I got a response from the judging where I asked for a critique on the ship since it didn't place (they did award me an "Honorable Mention" ribbon).

Here is the response (I've made some spelling corrections for clarity):

Judge guy posted:

Hey 'The Locator', this is XXX XXXXX, I am the contest chairman for this year's show and was actually the team captain that judged the ship models.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with your model. Beautiful build showing tons of hours in patience and skill.
In a contest full of fantastic builds it is often difficult to pick a,1st thru 3rd. Had this sloop been in a class of wooden ships I am sure it would have placed,
but that said the 3 models we choose to award were plastic models fully painted, weathered, and rigged.
Don't think you did anything wrong. The model was perfect.

Sometimes the shows are large enough that you can separate wood ships from plastic for a better representation of the class particulars.

So... welp I guess.

The models that placed were fantastic, I won't deny that at all, but c'mon, at least give me a critique of some kind if you are going to effectively place me 4th (no other HM ribbons in the class).

Their show, so whatever, but I won't spend the money & time to go up there again if they are going to allow non-plastic entries, but then not judge them equally, which is sort of what that response implies to me.

Here were the winners:
1st Place -
2nd Place -
3rd Place -

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Locator posted:

PM me your mailing address/info, and I'll throw a needle in the mail to you. I ordered a needle and whoever the picker was at Amazon sent me an entire package of 6 instead of just the one. Score!

cool guy club up in here

this is a lot different from the gundam thread where we just complain about backlogs and how come bandai wont release the kit we want so we can buy it and never build it.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Jonny Nox posted:

aaaaanyways!

Photo!

Yet another kit I looked at longingly for a while, looked up the instructions online and decided it would possibly be above my level for paint reasons. Mainly because of the metallic orange and the way Revell asks you to paint it in the instructions, although last time I encountered that(Revell's Lamborghini Diablo VT) I got a spraycan of Tamiya metallic orange and sprayed the body with that. The end result was pretty good, and a lot better than my attempts on scrap plastic. Doesn't help that I don't have an airbrush either.

Might pick up the more recent rebox with the Solo Turk design though.

Also, because I wanna contribute, I finished the Revell VW Beetle Limousine. I can't compare it to the paintjob Revell wants you to give it(light grey), but I feel the red does the kit and the car a lot more justice. It's Revell's own Ferrari Red(same color is used for the convertible version of the kit), and a bit richer in real life than the pictures of my phone cam show it as.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The Locator posted:

-----------------------------------

In model show news, I got a response from the judging where I asked for a critique on the ship since it didn't place (they did award me an "Honorable Mention" ribbon).

Here is the response (I've made some spelling corrections for clarity):

So... welp I guess.

The models that placed were fantastic, I won't deny that at all, but c'mon, at least give me a critique of some kind if you are going to effectively place me 4th (no other HM ribbons in the class).

Their show, so whatever, but I won't spend the money & time to go up there again if they are going to allow non-plastic entries, but then not judge them equally, which is sort of what that response implies to me.

Here were the winners:
1st Place -
2nd Place -
3rd Place -

Bummer. Actually, I don't even know if there are model shows around where I live.

Anyway, my wife is away visiting family for two weeks, so I decided to try to cram as much hobby out of these weeks as possible, since I can just leave tools and stuff out.

Grass Widower Diary Day 1: A 1:48 Tamiya Kübelwagen built while watching Eurovision

Beep beep!

E: turns out there's a scale model competition where I live in October. I'm smelling a trip report!

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 11, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

Glad they responded but yeah, that sucks. Your assessment that they didn't know what to do with a wooden model is probably correct.

Fauxtool posted:

cool guy club up in here

this is a lot different from the gundam thread where we just complain about backlogs and how come bandai wont release the kit we want so we can buy it and never build it.

:(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

Revell, 1/72 Leo 2:

I am now really happy that I never got that thing.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Hey airbrush ppl,
I'm looking at painting a c3po and want to do chrome followed by sepia wash. Will a citadel wash/ ink go through an airbrush fine? I'm guessing consistency will be all right, but not sure how it will react when it hits the model. Anyone got experience with that?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Phildo posted:

Hey airbrush ppl,
I'm looking at painting a c3po and want to do chrome followed by sepia wash. Will a citadel wash/ ink go through an airbrush fine? I'm guessing consistency will be all right, but not sure how it will react when it hits the model. Anyone got experience with that?

this is what plastic spoons are for. it should be fine, but paint a spoon to be sure.

If you have never sprayed thin stuff like a wash dont set your pressure as high and spray a little further back than normal.

Not doing that will cause it to bead up and get spidering. You may just be better off dunking it in wash or brushing it on sloppily.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 12, 2016

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I know this isn't strictly the right thread for this but I've posted everything else I've done in here 'till now so why not.

I've been drawn back into the murky world of Gamesworkshop after playing the new Battle Fleet Gothic PC game and so ordered some forgeworld Spehss Mahreens

These are 30K MKIII armour types for those interested and I've bought the Imperial Fists add ons as they are by far the best legion.

Impressed by how many resin parts I need for only 5 dudes.

They are coming out really really nice and detailed, very crisp. I now have to paint them yellow! which should be fun (interesting.)

Going to finish the rest tonight and hopefully prime / start painting this weekend.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yellow is a tough colour, good luck.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Finally back in the office. Which means I've had a chance to update some of my more insane projects.

Huge metal cargo train got its backhead done (that fire door can be opened by pulling the handle)

Huge wooden train got its cab painted

Lamborghini Countach engine is done

The multimedia F14 is starting to get wings

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

big_g posted:

I know this isn't strictly the right thread for this but I've posted everything else I've done in here 'till now so why not.

I've been drawn back into the murky world of Gamesworkshop after playing the new Battle Fleet Gothic PC game and so ordered some forgeworld Spehss Mahreens

These are 30K MKIII armour types for those interested and I've bought the Imperial Fists add ons as they are by far the best legion.

Impressed by how many resin parts I need for only 5 dudes.

They are coming out really really nice and detailed, very crisp. I now have to paint them yellow! which should be fun (interesting.)

Going to finish the rest tonight and hopefully prime / start painting this weekend.
I hope you see this before you start, because you will save yourself no end of headaches if you leave the arms, guns and backpacks off and paint them separately.

I think I saw a goon who did that once but with the plastics, and he didn't make sure polarities were repelling so eventually the magnets crushed their way through the torsos and ruined his mans :smith:
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 13, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arquinsiel posted:

I hope you see this before you start, because you will save yourself no end of headaches if you leave the arms, guns and backpacks off and paint them separately.

My friend put tiny tiny magnets in all these parts on his warhams so he can swap out equipment and paint/touch up as needed. Worked really well.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Arquinsiel posted:

Thanks for the advice. I've left the bolter and hand off to get access to the chest etc. but have glued the arms and back packs on. Hopefully I should be alright.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Finished the mahreens and and bases. Took me longer than I thought just to prep 5 guys but been ages since I worked with resin.

And, primed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So maybe everyone already knew this, but it's news to me. Hobbyzone (awesome desktop organization stuff) now has a US distributor and they ship for free to anywhere in the Continental US.

http://www.hobbyzone.biz/index.shtml