Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

JSW2 posted:

I ended up buying an X-E1, the 35/1.4 and a 56/1.2.

The 35 is kinda lovely when it comes to focusing, shuffles back and forth trying to lock and makes a horrible noise. Granted, I haven't had a chance to do anything more than indoor cat pics. Is that normal for this lens, or did I get a bum copy?

This was my experience shooting with the 35mm last night. My sister is keeping it with my old X-E1. I'm sticking to the 23mm and getting a 56mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

JSW2 posted:

I ended up buying an X-E1, the 35/1.4 and a 56/1.2.

The 35 is kinda lovely when it comes to focusing, shuffles back and forth trying to lock and makes a horrible noise. Granted, I haven't had a chance to do anything more than indoor cat pics. Is that normal for this lens, or did I get a bum copy?

Mine is definitely louder than my 18-55, but I wouldn't describe the noise as horrible. It absolutely does hunt a lot in lower light conditions. Takes really good pictures though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

What kind of insurance are you using to cover that?

I have home insurance with coverage for stuff like this. If I break poo poo inside my house it's covered. It's pretty awesome.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The 35mm is not great in low light but the firmware updates make it very fast in good light. Update everything before passing judgment.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

The 35mm is not great in low light but the firmware updates make it very fast in good light. Update everything before passing judgment.

I know that 35mm has become the stuff of legend and speaking against it is a TERRIBLE SACRILEGE but it is a flawed lens. The one I used is updated and yes it works fine in good light, but in low light it hunts like crazy so I lost a few good shots. It does take lovely lovely pictures though. I like it a lot but I personally would not buy it brand new until they update it. If they fix the problems while keeping the image quality and size it will be a ~perfect lens~

To me the image quality between it and the 23mm is indistinguishable but drat is the 23mm bulky... I'm seriously considering selling it and getting an x100t

Animal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 24, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

timrenzi574 posted:

You can have it in the Q menu or one of the programmable buttons, +/- 2EV

Oh hell, I didn't know they tripled the range of the flash compensation for the X100T. :smith: Is that something that could conceivably be updated in a firmware update for the X100S? Although I guess it's moot since I rarely even find myself turning on the flash, even though I've been impressed with its performance compared to the popup flash on my D7000.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

404notfound posted:

Oh hell, I didn't know they tripled the range of the flash compensation for the X100T. :smith: Is that something that could conceivably be updated in a firmware update for the X100S? Although I guess it's moot since I rarely even find myself turning on the flash, even though I've been impressed with its performance compared to the popup flash on my D7000.

I would think that's definitely something they could do in firmware. Its just calculations, not hardware.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Animal posted:

I know that 35mm has become the stuff of legend and speaking against it is a TERRIBLE SACRILEGE but it is a flawed lens. The one I used is updated and yes it works fine in good light, but in low light it hunts like crazy so I lost a few good shots. It does take lovely lovely pictures though. I like it a lot but I personally would not buy it brand new until they update it. If they fix the problems while keeping the image quality and size it will be a ~perfect lens~

I think maybe yours is bad or something because I just tried mine out in a nearly lightless room - literally the only light on right now is my computer monitor - and I'm not getting any hunting. Its slow, sure, but it definitely locks on no problem.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My 35mm hunts all the time, say you try to get a lock on a flower between branches.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Animal posted:

To me the image quality between it and the 23mm is indistinguishable but drat is the 23mm bulky... I'm seriously considering selling it and getting an x100t

I've come to this conclusion as well. It's a pretty good lens, and when it's on sale for $400, or used for $300, it's a fairly solid deal. It just won't ever be widely regarded as a legendary lens like some people make it out to be.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Do any of you use some kind of back button focus setup? I didn't know what the heck it was till not too long ago, but in cases where the camera is hunting around for focus maybe it would help having better control.

Example with the X-Pro-1:
http://paulsamolukphotography.com/fuji-x-pro-1-back-button-focus/

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

FWIW I was just out shooting at night in a dark place and the 35mm had almost no issues finding/grabbing focus. It had to hunt once in about 50 shots.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I just picked up an X-T1 yesterday and am loving it. I grabbed the X100T on release as the improvements finally warranted an upgrade from the original X100. The X100T's EVF is a considerable improvement and after hearing that it wasn't quite as good as the one inside the X-T1, I wondered how big the difference was... and then I saw.

After starting out on a Canon 300D, eventually moving to a 7D, I ended up buying an X100 because I didn't want to lug that weight around anymore. It's amazing to me that I can take the X-T1 body with a battery and lens attached and be travelling lighter than I would with a 7D body only. For my purposes, it's an improvement in all other areas too.

Fuji offering a $200 cashback on all XF lenses made it all the more appealing. The sound of these lenses during AF are louder than I was expecting but, having previously bought and used a Tamron 17-50/2.8, it's really nothing.

JHVH-1 posted:

Do any of you use some kind of back button focus setup? I didn't know what the heck it was till not too long ago, but in cases where the camera is hunting around for focus maybe it would help having better control.

Example with the X-Pro-1:
http://paulsamolukphotography.com/fuji-x-pro-1-back-button-focus/

I used back button focus on my 7D, but have no desire to run the same setup on the X-T1. I've used it as I've been familiarising myself with the camera, it doesn't feel right or necessary, at least for my purposes (and considering my limited time spent using it). The the newly added AF+MF function—which actually feels nice and functions quite well—could provide a suitable solution for the odd occasion where AF is not sufficient.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Could you elaborate on the XT-1 and X100T EVF differences?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I generally never do SOOCs but drat Fuji's are nice.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Dren posted:

Could you elaborate on the XT-1 and X100T EVF differences?

I'll admit to not quite being up on certain terminology, but the X-T1's EVF is noticeably bigger. I understand this is down to magnification and not necessarily the screen itself. This one's a gimme, but worth mentioning.

To my eyes, the X-T1's EVF better displays scenes with higher dynamic range. Whilst some bright highlight detail disappears in both, the X-T1's appears to provide more detail in the shadows and darker parts of the scene. This is with both cameras using the same settings (as far as I can tell). Initially, I mistakenly had the Preview Pic Effect enabled (with classic chrome film simulation) on the X100T and not on X-T1, which only served to emphasise this difference.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fart Car '97 posted:

I generally never do SOOCs but drat Fuji's are nice.

yeah, that's the main reason I bought the x100t. I've been doing a considerable amount of SOOC jpeg fine's beamed to ipad/iphone, then sent directly to friends and family. It's so easy to do on the fly I love it... occasionally i'll adjust in the vsco cam app and I always save into Lightroom but there haven't been a lot of instances yet where I've felt compelled to edit beyond what the camera has given me too much.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

This was a rare instance where I could not get my own RAW edit to a state where I felt it looked better than Fuji's processing :negative:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

This was a rare instance where I could not get my own RAW edit to a state where I felt it looked better than Fuji's processing :negative:

What options did you choose for that image?

By the way, I am in love with Classic Chrome

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Animal posted:

What options did you choose for that image?

By the way, I am in love with Classic Chrome

IIRC:

Monochrome+Ye Filter
M-Hard Highlights
M-Soft Shadows
Noise Reduction Normal
M-Hard Sharpness

numtini
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

Try enlarging the focus area by a click or two. It makes a huge difference in low light.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Feeling really great about the X100S replacing everything short of telephoto for me. I did some straightening and shopped out an electrical socket, but the BW/Y processing was untouched.

Pride by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Huxley posted:

Feeling really great about the X100S replacing everything short of telephoto for me. I did some straightening and shopped out an electrical socket, but the BW/Y processing was untouched.

Pride by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Excellent photo

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I spend a lot of time with the Fuji XF 23mm 1.4, but man, the kit 18-55mm does take some beautiful pictures, and that OIS comes in handy:

Untitled by Mannymall, on Flickr

Animal fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 26, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ok someone explain to me how electronic shutter works.

Just updated my xt1 to latest and this poo poo is amazing, it is %100 silent. Is there a downside to using electronic shutter? Why would I ever want to use mechanical when I have this?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

keyframe posted:

Just updated my xt1 to latest and this poo poo is amazing, it is %100 silent. Is there a downside to using electronic shutter? Why would I ever want to use mechanical when I have this?

I believe it's a rolling electronic shutter so at high shutter speeds you will see distortion in moving objects, like wheels that become ovals or distorted fan blades.

http://imgur.com/a/RGSIW
http://www.juzaphoto.com/article.php?l=en&t=mechanical_and_electronic_shutter

widunder
May 2, 2002
I never got on board the whole "nevermind RAW files, Fuji SOOC jpgs are fine" but gave B&W a try after seeing that night landscape pictures a few posts back and boy, it is something.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

keyframe posted:

Rolling shutter.

Clear distortion in the wheels: 1/6400. Bike was going maybe 20mph.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Fart Car '97 posted:

Rolling shutter.

No flash either (at least on the X100T, I assume the XT1 is the same?) - I really wish camera makers would start finding other ways to get the pin firing when using electronic shutter activation. These cameras have computers inside them that would have made me drool when I was a kid, am I supposed to believe they can't properly time flash triggering to coincide with an electronic shutter? Canon does this same annoying poo poo with live view silent mode too.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fart Car '97 posted:

Rolling shutter.

Ahh thanks guys. For the kind of photography I do it will be perfect.

I also noticed there is a electronic + manual shutter setting in the XT1 but no idea how that works. Do you switch between the two with a button?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

keyframe posted:

Ahh thanks guys. For the kind of photography I do it will be perfect.

I also noticed there is a electronic + manual shutter setting in the XT1 but no idea how that works. Do you switch between the two with a button?

It switches automatically to electronic shutter when it needs to (eg; you've gone over the mechanical shutter limit)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I want to pick up a mirrorless for my girlfriend's birthday in late February so I'd figure I'd start reading up here. The OP seems a bit out of date so what're the best cameras in the 1000 range? And I have Canon lenses for my stuff what brand if any will allow for her to be able to borrow my lenses?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

KidDynamite posted:

I want to pick up a mirrorless for my girlfriend's birthday in late February so I'd figure I'd start reading up here. The OP seems a bit out of date so what're the best cameras in the 1000 range? And I have Canon lenses for my stuff what brand if any will allow for her to be able to borrow my lenses?

The a7 is around that price now. You can adapt Canon lenses to it, but if it doesn't have a manual aperture ring you will have to buy the metabones adapter ($300).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
No EF lens has a dedicated aperture ring, but there are cheaper adapters if you don't mind poo poo autofocus.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

No flash either (at least on the X100T, I assume the XT1 is the same?) - I really wish camera makers would start finding other ways to get the pin firing when using electronic shutter activation. These cameras have computers inside them that would have made me drool when I was a kid, am I supposed to believe they can't properly time flash triggering to coincide with an electronic shutter? Canon does this same annoying poo poo with live view silent mode too.

The duration of the flash is shorter than the sensor read time, so the scene would only be potentially illuminated. You can use constant lighting, but not flash

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Fart Car '97 posted:

The duration of the flash is shorter than the sensor read time, so the scene would only be potentially illuminated. You can use constant lighting, but not flash

Ah yeah, no full readout on CMOS not in the dark. I forgot about that part.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fart Car '97 posted:

This is why the X100T leaf shutter owns owns owns

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The Olympus lens cap fisheye is cheap fun. I bought the other lens cap lens while it was on a flash sale so now I have both. Fixed f/8 but that makes it easy for focusing cause there is basically a little bit of manual focusing up close and infinity for everything else. It makes the camera fit easily in my small iPad bag which isn't that deep, with room for a couple full size lenses so I am digging it.

PC250143 by joshua_doesnt_know, on Flickr

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dren posted:

This is why the X100T leaf shutter owns owns owns

Why wouldn't Fuji use a leaf shutter on the X-T1? What's the max mechanical (non-electronic) shutter speed on the X100T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Leaf shutters usually top out around 1/500s, and they can limit what lenses you can put on an interchangable lens system.