Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I'm actually surprised no one's shot at Obama yet.

We won't learn about the real threats the Secret Service stopped until after Obama is out of office at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VH4Ever posted:

Actually she's been going back and forth between Washington and MA since sometime in the mid-90s, long before most of us even knew her name post-2008 crash. She was brought in to study/analyze bankruptcy mostly, but her claim to fame was opposing the bankruptcy reform acts that ended up passing during the Bush years in the early 2000s. She already had contacts with many people in Congress by then including Ted Kennedy and Barney Frank so her bona fides are much longer and deeper than most people give her credit for.
Yeah, this is true for sure. I remember when I first learned about her in a Frontline episode a decade ago I started poking around her history and was like, "How have I not heard of this woman?" She blew me away the first time I heard her speak.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hodgepodge posted:

We've seen what happens when the current crop of militia types take action.

I kind of suspect that the right secretly love to hate Obama more than they just plain hate him. Like Bill, they'll love him once he has no legal authority.

If the militia types were going to take action, you'd think they'd have done something by now. They backed down in Texas when the cartels offered to attend the party they were throwing.

They're just chickenhawks playing neo-Confederate partisan who go home to drink beer and watch football the moment things get dangerous or even inconvenient for them.

If anyone does end up shooting Obama, I'm guessing it's going to be a mentally disturbed individual like it's usually been with people who've shot at US presidents.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

If the militia types were going to take action, you'd think they'd have done something by now. They backed down in Texas when the cartels offered to attend the party they were throwing.

They're just chickenhawks playing neo-Confederate partisan who go home to drink beer and watch football the moment things get dangerous or even inconvenient for them.

Yeah the militia types were never going to do anything. Militias like that are just a place for fat, middle aged white guys to go to feel tough and act like they'd totally go all Second Revolution on the president at the slightest hint of tyranny. But, you know, only when he actually oversteps his bounds, which he totally hasn't yet, I mean not that bad, even though I bitch about how unconstitutional everything he does is all drat day.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah the militia types were never going to do anything. Militias like that are just a place for fat, middle aged white guys to go to feel tough and act like they'd totally go all Second Revolution on the president at the slightest hint of tyranny. But, you know, only when he actually oversteps his bounds, which he totally hasn't yet, I mean not that bad, even though I bitch about how unconstitutional everything he does is all drat day.

That's sort of how the Klan was in its latter years.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Haven't several militia groups gotten busted for actively plotting to kill cops and federal employees?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

computer parts posted:

That's sort of how the Klan was in its latter years.

And it's early years.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think there's going to be CW2 or anything, but they have potential to cause harm from time to time. Let's not forget that 2 nutters from the Bundy ranch went on to shoot up a place and drape corpses with Gadsden flags. Timothy McVeigh was also of this kind of thinking.

As a mass movement you're right that they're not really worthy of consideration, but individuals within their movement do decide to try to make it a hot war often enough that the people charged with protecting us from terrorism consider them to be a larger threat than foreign terrorists as far as attacks on American soil are concerned.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The McVeigh or Brevik types who actually go on and do something are usually the ones that intersect fairly briefly with established right-wing groups, decide they're not dedicated/extreme enough, and go off on their own, it seems like.

Well, that and pretty much every established group being heavily infiltrated by government agencies.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

andrew smash posted:

Haven't several militia groups gotten busted for actively plotting to kill cops and federal employees?

Several people with varying degrees of association have. I don't think any of the groups themselves have though. Course I am probably technically wrong since any one group, no matter how small, can call itself a militia.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 24, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Trabisnikof posted:

We won't learn about the real threats the Secret Service stopped until after Obama is out of office at least.

Bush had that guy throw a grenade at him in Georgia (the country), every time someone tries to kill the President the secret service learns to protect him better.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Bush had that guy throw a grenade at him in Georgia (the country), every time someone tries to kill the President the secret service learns to protect him better.

Yeah, I imagine that with the way FBI/ATF has been running stings, I imagine Secret Service has busted a ton of people planning to kill Obama at the LF level.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Plus in about 9 months everyone will be talking about the 2016 Primaries and then the actual election, so the militia folks will have (false and absurd) hope that Christie-mania or whatever will sweep the nation rendering armed action unnecessary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jackson Taus posted:

Plus in about 9 months everyone will be talking about the 2016 Primaries and then the actual election, so the militia folks will have (false and absurd) hope that Christie-mania or whatever will sweep the nation rendering armed action unnecessary.

It won't. The focus of their rage over how powerless they are will just shift from blacks to women.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

There was actually a really well-planned assassination raid on Obama, but because of a hilarious name mix-up and the fact that their houses were the same color, the attackers ended up killing some Muslim guy in Abottabad instead :shrug:

:golfclap: this needs more love.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not hardly. Pushback from the wealthy, a hostile supreme court that knocked down ~70% of his policies, a proto-Rush Limbaugh, a fascist coup plotted by business leaders - Roosevelt certainly faced meaningful opposition. Not to mention having loving polio and keeping it a secret from the public.

You might be talking out your rear end to bolster your opinions on modern politics. Just gonna throw that one out there.

Sure, but none of those things (including "a fascist coup plotted by business leaders," the exaggeration of the century) change the fact that Roosevelt had 4-6 years where Congress was willing to go along with the vast majority of his proposals, which is something you can't say for many presidents at all.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

There was actually a really well-planned assassination raid on Obama, but because of a hilarious name mix-up and the fact that their houses were the same color, the attackers ended up killing some Muslim guy in Abottabad instead :shrug:

:golfclap: This was genius. My dad loved it since his favorite episode of The Newsroom had Jeff Daniels making pretty much the same mistake since he was baked as hell.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It won't. The focus of their rage over how powerless they are will just shift from blacks to women.

After Nov 2016, sure. But from July 2015 to Oct 2016 they'll have a great shining hope in the form of <insert GOP frontrunner here>. Actual hope of a political messiah might dampen urges to go violent.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Byron York is usually pretty plugged in, right?

quote:

Mittens '16 is real

Is Mitt Romney, who ran for the Republican presidential nomination and lost in 2008, ran again and won the nomination but lost the general election in 2012, really thinking about running yet again for president in 2016? Many Republicans have simply assumed not. Romney has seemed to discourage such talk in media appearances, and there has been a general belief that after losing as the party's nominee, the 67 year-old Romney would return to private life for good.

That belief is wrong. Romney is talking with advisers, consulting with his family, keeping a close eye on the emerging '16 Republican field, and carefully weighing the pluses and minuses of another run. That doesn't mean he will decide to do it, but it does mean that Mitt 2016 is a real possibility.

Nearly all of Romney's 2012 circle of advisers, finance people, and close aides remains intact. Many developed an extraordinary loyalty to Romney, who, in turn, has kept in close touch with them. Romney talks to some of them quite frequently in conversations that cover daily news, foreign and domestic policy, Hillary Clinton, the Republican field -- everything that might touch on a 2016 campaign. "Virtually the entire advisory group that surrounded Mitt in 2012 are eager for him to run, almost to a man and a woman," says one plugged-in member of Romneyland.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/romney-2016-is-for-real/article/2553932

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'd be willing to bet that he's been listening to right wing blowhards saying "Bad things happened? Just as Romney said - guess he's looking pretty good now, huh?". I expect him to focus entirely on what he would have done if he were president and how it magically would have been the right thing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
R. Money really has been unusually persistent about staying in the public eye after his defeat - he didn't disappear from public life like a Dukakis or Mondale or Dole, or find another public cause to embrace like Carter (global peace and health issues) or Gore (climate). I see his useless wife was making headlines today about how silly the whole notion of a "war on women" is. And lord knows the once-promising GOP field for 2016 looks like a shambles now.

...dear God, he might actually do it. :stare:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

FMguru posted:

R. Money really has been unusually persistent about staying in the public eye after his defeat - he didn't disappear from public life like a Dukakis or Mondale or Dole, or find another public cause to embrace like Carter (global peace and health issues) or Gore (climate). I see his useless wife was making headlines today about how silly the whole notion of a "war on women" is. And lord knows the once-promising GOP field for 2016 looks like a shambles now.

Yeah, but then neither has McCain - he's been on TV (primarily Sunday shows) for the last 300 consecutive weeks or something.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, but then neither has McCain - he's been on TV (primarily Sunday shows) for the last 300 consecutive weeks or something.
McCain and Kerry are exceptions because they went back to their political day jobs as senior senators.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jackson Taus posted:

Because he was, and still is, a prominent senator (and a Republican who won't publicly poo poo himself whenever he gets on stage to boot, an increasing rarity in today's senate.) Kerry never really went dark either after his loss, if anything he was actually gaining clout, leading up to becoming SoS.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FMguru posted:

Yeah. Based on everything he's been saying and doing recently, I've felt for a little while now that it's at least even odds for a Romney 2016 run. Maybe a little better than that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't really think Romney is dangerous, but I wouldn't look forward to him and Hillary being in a room together. She would make him look sincere by comparison.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Oh good, Mitt has two whole years to say more stupid poo poo.

If he runs, it'll be non-stop 47% tape, because nothing illustrates his rich, out-of-touch arrogance and disdain for the poor better than the poo poo he said on that tape. He's not going to make a Nixon-style comeback, because Nixon himself wouldn't have made his comeback if he tried it now instead of 1968.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 25, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Some people just can't stop running for president.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Key phrase if he does run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHxbemvpxY&t=75s

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

SedanChair posted:

I don't really think Romney is dangerous, but I wouldn't look forward to him and Hillary being in a room together. She would make him look sincere by comparison.

I look forward to Mitt Romney running again for all sorts of reasons, including :iceburn: after :iceburn: from SedanChair about how even he is better than Hillary Clinton.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SedanChair posted:

I wonder if he has a Hillary Clinton card in his binders full of women. Maybe he'll use a Condoleezza Rice trap card against her.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Would 2016 Rmoney be the 2012 primary RINO Romney or 2012 general Great Hope Romney?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shear Modulus posted:

Would 2016 Rmoney be the 2012 primary RINO Romney or 2012 general Great Hope Romney?

Well he won his primary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shear Modulus posted:

His 2012 staff was terrified of Rick Perry and his rightward shift in the primary was a tactic to undercut Perry's entrance into the race.

Which is to say if Rick runs again in 2016 (which he will) and somehow does better than he did in 2012 (which shouldn't be difficult), Romney will pivot even further to the right to fight him.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The burning question I have is, who's on Biden's and Clinton's shortlist?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

His 2012 staff was terrified of Rick Perry and his rightward shift in the primary was a tactic to undercut Perry's entrance into the race.

Which is to say if Rick runs again in 2016 (which he will) and somehow does better than he did in 2012 (which shouldn't be difficult), Romney will pivot even further to the right to fight him.

You just made me remember the $10,000 bet. I can't wait for ol' Mitt to take another crack at POTUS, it's sort of like a really uncomfortable episode of The Office.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Really want Mitt to run because I always meant to make a compilation of him campaigning to Smog's Ex-Con and never got around to it and would like some fresh content

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

My Imaginary GF posted:

The burning question I have is, who's on Biden's and Clinton's shortlist?
A young, upcoming woman and a young, upcoming minority (probably Latino), respectively.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And the mayor of Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.
It is almost certainly the realm of political fan fiction, but I really hope :newt: runs again.

• Locked thread