Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The giant man-eating vagina wasn't a clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hey now, I don't judge. Or even make reasonable inferences, unless I'm beaten over the head with them. :reject:

Have we even seen an explicitly feminine stand spirit yet?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Hey now, I don't judge. Or even make reasonable inferences, unless I'm beaten over the head with them. :reject:

Have we even seen an explicitly feminine stand spirit yet?

Eightfold was a girl, weren't they?

EDIT: Guytrap is cool and all but I really have to wonder if this little segment HAD to come now in the middle of the Hijack arc and not after.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 4, 2016

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Roses are yonic, her advice is sapphic, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Venus Guytrap is probably female.
I hope I'm not the only person who was disappointed the end of your post didn't rhyme

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fecha posted:

I hope I'm not the only person who was disappointed the end of your post didn't rhyme
Roses are yonic, her advice is sapphic, the hints that she's female are pretty drat graphic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Roses are yonic, her advice is sapphic, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Venus Guytrap is probably female.

Zach's comment on the previous page:

quote:

Venus is a man(-eating plant) of many words, some of which he even uses correctly.

So male.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:cripes:

Welp.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

also he sounds like tim curry

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You are now imagining Venus Guytrap speaking with the voice of Adam Sandler.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Poison Mushroom posted:

You are now imagining Venus Guytrap speaking with the voice of Adam Sandler.

you monster

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I mean what were we expecting

I don't know, Day is clearly loving owning this situation pretty hard. I'm willing to bet she's probably suppose to be a window into what actually competent agents are like.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

VerdantSquire posted:

I don't know, Day is clearly loving owning this situation pretty hard. I'm willing to bet she's probably suppose to be a window into what actually competent agents are like.

Actually she wasn't even trying to eavesdrop, she just wanted Venus to read the menu for her and got lucky.

(I'm joking but simultaneously would not be surprised at all if this were the case.)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wait. Venus doesn't have eyes, how the heck is he reading the menu?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Begemot posted:

Wait. Venus doesn't have eyes, how the heck is he reading the menu?

Rose tinted glasses silly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Drunk Theory posted:

:eyepop:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Drunk Theory posted:

gently caress

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gas this thread and everyone in it for their crimes

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Drunk Theory posted:

:dadjoke:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd been suspecting it for awhile, but it seems quite clear with the introduction of Venus Mantrap, but all of the spirits we've encountered seem almost obsessively existential. Maybe Morrison likes to espouse, but it's been too consistent to not warrant mention. I had thought it really, really weird that Forge was basically keen on lecturing about ethics while attempting to swiftly deal with an obstruction with his plan, but now it seems that all of the spirits seem fixated on the dichotomy of good and evil, on the moral virtues and flaws of mankind, and in general seem to almost exist entirely on a plane of thought and concept.

I'm not sure if there's any meaning to this observation, except perhaps to provide insight into what the spirits may ultimately want to accomplish, but it's notable that the people who are possessed by spirits are thusly affected: Spender is fixated on ensuring light triumphs over darkness, Isaac is fixated on using great power responsibly (in contrast to his spirit's more theatrical "Might Makes Right" ideals). Zarei's spirit we haven't really gotten a sense of its moral standing, but I'm sure it has one. Now Mantrap is all about external beauty and internal ugliness (and apparently keen to eavesedrop too, thus demonstrating its own shallow moral codes).

It makes me wonder if spirits aren't actually manifestations of human thoughts, with human emotions and memories forming ghosts. This might complete a bit of the cosmology of the setting--spirits are not "higher beings" but, not dissimilar from the Persona from the games of the same title, they are born entirely out of human hearts, or maybe more specifically human minds.

Max's spirit seems very bestial, which may be indicated by his aloofness. Max may have a stronger hand in this regard because he is NOT fixated on moral concepts at all--he seems far more keen to try to avoid all this weirdness, but his spirit is a magnet that draws things in. Hosts and their spirits seem to take on the opposite ends of each other's spectrums by default, but with Spender and Lucifer the pair seem more or less in line with each other.

BL's entire notion of moral relativity or its lack thereof stands interesting in this. It could just be poor characterization that every character seems keen to discuss their own inner desires and preach on their various moral proclivities, but it could very well be a direct result of sustained contact with spirits. It may also explain why Hijack felt the need to try and justify its actions, an act baffling given that it's willing to steal people's bodies without hesitation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd been suspecting it for awhile, but it seems quite clear with the introduction of Venus Mantrap, but all of the spirits we've encountered seem almost obsessively existential. Maybe Morrison likes to espouse, but it's been too consistent to not warrant mention. I had thought it really, really weird that Forge was basically keen on lecturing about ethics while attempting to swiftly deal with an obstruction with his plan, but now it seems that all of the spirits seem fixated on the dichotomy of good and evil, on the moral virtues and flaws of mankind, and in general seem to almost exist entirely on a plane of thought and concept.

Not having glands will do that. (I wonder if he reads Pratchett?)

e/ PS good post. It's sorta sticky to untangle the uh, what do I mean? Like, merely aesthetic/thematic choices from correlations which have a deeper meaning inside of the story. Since Zach's combination of influences (most notably anime/manga, and some specific ones in particular that need no mention) also do this thing where a huge amount of background details have multiple layers of thematic appropriateness, only some of which are ever explained directly by in-world mechanics, but then you also have a lot of things that could be meaningful but in fact are entirely there for rule of cool and don't quite gel with any other reading of the work unless you start doing serious mental gymnastics.

Figuring out which is which is not something I'm sure can ever be done definitively even after the work is over, but that should just make it more fun to reread. :)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 7, 2016

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Ugh classic lazy webcomic artist excuses. As if you can't draw an update to your gay anime romance while evacuating a hurricane. :rolleyes:

Seriously I had no idea Zack lived in that area.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah he's based out of Savannah

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not sure if there's any meaning to this observation, except perhaps to provide insight into what the spirits may ultimately want to accomplish, but it's notable that the people who are possessed by spirits are thusly affected: Spender is fixated on ensuring light triumphs over darkness, Isaac is fixated on using great power responsibly (in contrast to his spirit's more theatrical "Might Makes Right" ideals). Zarei's spirit we haven't really gotten a sense of its moral standing, but I'm sure it has one. Now Mantrap is all about external beauty and internal ugliness (and apparently keen to eavesedrop too, thus demonstrating its own shallow moral codes).

It makes me wonder if spirits aren't actually manifestations of human thoughts, with human emotions and memories forming ghosts. This might complete a bit of the cosmology of the setting--spirits are not "higher beings" but, not dissimilar from the Persona from the games of the same title, they are born entirely out of human hearts, or maybe more specifically human minds.

Max's spirit seems very bestial, which may be indicated by his aloofness. Max may have a stronger hand in this regard because he is NOT fixated on moral concepts at all--he seems far more keen to try to avoid all this weirdness, but his spirit is a magnet that draws things in. Hosts and their spirits seem to take on the opposite ends of each other's spectrums by default, but with Spender and Lucifer the pair seem more or less in line with each other.

BL's entire notion of moral relativity or its lack thereof stands interesting in this. It could just be poor characterization that every character seems keen to discuss their own inner desires and preach on their various moral proclivities, but it could very well be a direct result of sustained contact with spirits. It may also explain why Hijack felt the need to try and justify its actions, an act baffling given that it's willing to steal people's bodies without hesitation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TL;DR Maybe spirits are like reverse-Personas.

Which would almost make sense, honestly.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update.

Zarei is still a huge dork. Also, bugs.

Edit: Just realized that Zarei having a bug thing going on and Day having a flower theme is definitely meaningful. Possibly not in a good way for Zarei, given Day's insect-eating-plant-inspired spirit.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm not quite getting the fly thing. Why is she trying to communicate with it...?

Also, is there a recognised name for the little plus-sign dazzle marks that appear around Day when she's being charming?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm not quite getting the fly thing. Why is she trying to communicate with it...?

Because she's a cool and normal adult. Don't you ask bugs to come back instead of flying away?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tree Bucket posted:

Also, is there a recognised name for the little plus-sign dazzle marks that appear around Day when she's being charming?

Anime.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They're just really lazy shoujo sparkles. :sparkles:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

Each of those is a kawa (plural: kawaii)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh god the pun.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I really don't get the fly thing but that's okay because I get to imagine the server at that restaurant makes that "wurst sandwich" joke every time someone orders it and that brightens my day.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
don't worry the fly thing will be explained within the next 6 hours of comic time, so sometime next summer.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Dias posted:

Anime.

I can't believe I've been tricked into consuming anime-!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dolash posted:

I really don't get the fly thing but that's okay because I get to imagine the server at that restaurant makes that "wurst sandwich" joke every time someone orders it and that brightens my day.
Waiter, waiter...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
R.I.P.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's so penny

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm very confused all of a sudden.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Simsmagic posted:

I'm very confused all of a sudden.

All life is precious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alt Text: first on-screen character death, historians take note