Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Slap on a JB4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Etrips posted:

Slap on a JB4.
Nah it's not for lack of speed.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Nah it's not for lack of speed.

Okay, good talk.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Man, I'm so ready for my lease to be up. 13 months to go. The GTI is a good car, but it's boring as poo poo as it doesn't really have any character. Everything on it's pretty good, but nothing really exceptional, and nothing to really complain about either. Maybe its just my AI ADD but I can't wait to get something else.

What would you replace it with if you could, right now? Just curious.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Larrymer posted:

What would you replace it with if you could, right now? Just curious.
Well, I've also currently got a new-to-me '01 Jeep Cherokee, so I'd probably replace the GTI with some type of manual 3-series BMW from like '98 to '05 that I can fix all the time. They're fun as poo poo though.

e: the gripe of my post was the car is really good, but not really "exciting" in any way to me as I have no fun roads around here.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The point of the GTI is that the overall package is so good - it might not be exceptional in any one area but it's good everywhere.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This is a man who wants to get his dick high-heel stomped on by (old)BMW ownership. No modern car will sate his need for self flagellation. Godspeed friend, I understand the struggle.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

This is a man who wants to get his dick high-heel stomped on by (old)BMW ownership. No modern car will sate his need for self flagellation. Godspeed friend, I understand the struggle.
LOL, accurate. I've had a couple before and just sold my e46 that I would have loved to keep aside from it being an automatic.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Buy an M Coupe and rev it to the moon and watch your wallet bleed imo

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Buy an M Coupe and rev it to the moon and watch your wallet bleed imo

I had a Z4 M Coupe, would LOVE an '01 with the s54 but that's a little more than I'd want to spend.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, sounds like you're kind of asking for it. The opposite reason (well, not a BMW but old car bullshit) is why I bought the GTI.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Yeah, sounds like you're kind of asking for it. The opposite reason (well, not a BMW but old car bullshit) is why I bought the GTI.

:same:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I bought a FiST then started throwing parts at it because I missed having something to work on, so I cannot throw any stones.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I bought a FiST then started throwing parts at it because I missed having something to work on, so I cannot throw any stones.

The answer is obviously to throw more parts.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Poisonlizard posted:

The answer is obviously to throw more parts.

I don’t have a problem you have a problem!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those Cup 2s? Good choice.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Those Cup 2s? Good choice.

Hankook R-S4s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Hankook R-S4s

I approve. What's in the Mountune box?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

I approve. What's in the Mountune box?

Their FiST front splitter. I had a maxton designs one, but a chunk of ice smashed the gently caress out of it (and one of my winter wheel/tires) a couple months ago. Behind the tires there is also a mountune radiator.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
How sad would I be if I got a 2017 GTI S vs. a 2018 GTI SE? I don't know if auto headlights is worth the extra 6k.

Also there's the comedy Alltrack option, which I'm heavily considering.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ah yes. the pile of uninstalled car parts. My g/fs favorite thing in the house.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Alltrack, swap the gti turbo, swap golf r downpipe, tune, and put gti springs and struts on.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

TheWevel posted:

How sad would I be if I got a 2017 GTI S vs. a 2018 GTI SE? I don't know if auto headlights is worth the extra 6k.

Also there's the comedy Alltrack option, which I'm heavily considering.

Where are you located? The dealership I got my 2017 SE still has one listed on their site for $25802.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Christobevii3 posted:

Alltrack, swap the gti turbo, swap golf r downpipe, tune, and put gti springs and struts on.

I don't know anything mechanical about cars. This seems like a lot of work.

WescottF1 posted:

Where are you located? The dealership I got my 2017 SE still has one listed on their site for $25802.

Sooooooouth Alabama.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dothan south or Mobile south?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Mobile south.

There are a few 2017 Alltracks near me and it seems like all the 2017 GTIs are S models. I like the plaid seats but have 2 dogs and a baby so the Alltrac seems like the smarter choice. I should note that my other car is a new Pacifica so it may not even matter.

There's also a 2017 Focus RS near me but I don't think the math would work on it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Mobile south.

There are a few 2017 Alltracks near me and it seems like all the 2017 GTIs are S models. I like the plaid seats but have 2 dogs and a baby so the Alltrac seems like the smarter choice. I should note that my other car is a new Pacifica so it may not even matter.

There's also a 2017 Focus RS near me but I don't think the math would work on it.

I have a GTI and a baby, so I'll give you my experience. It is small if you ever plan to travel with the car and need to take poo poo everywhere. We take my wife's car everywhere instead. It's fine if the Pacifica is staying and you want something fun to drive.

Why bother with an Alltrac in bama? Do you really even need AWD? A fwd wagon is probably the most sensible choice, albeit the least fun vs. the alternatives.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i cant imagine any GTI without the limited slip would be worth owning

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

PaintVagrant posted:

Their FiST front splitter. I had a maxton designs one, but a chunk of ice smashed the gently caress out of it (and one of my winter wheel/tires) a couple months ago. Behind the tires there is also a mountune radiator.

Are you still running the stock rad with the new turbo?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Are you still running the stock rad with the new turbo?

Yep. It’s fine for daily driving, but for trackdays the temps get into limp mode territory towards the end of a session in even cool days like 70ish. Haven’t tracked it in summer yet but I assume it would be not good with stock rad.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah everything I’ve seen says it’s not sufficient basically once you start adding power. I figured it would be step one with a bigger turbo. I’m planning just to get ahead of the game and get a new rad and IC before/when I get a tune. Issues with cooling terrify me.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Yeah everything I’ve seen says it’s not sufficient basically once you start adding power. I figured it would be step one with a bigger turbo. I’m planning just to get ahead of the game and get a new rad and IC before/when I get a tune. Issues with cooling terrify me.

Probably depends on where you live. If it’s hot for a lot of the year, its a good idea. If you track it, pretty much mandatory imo.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Just over 3 years ago I purchased a FiST, partially on the advice of this thread. Great car, I've been loving the gently caress out of it.

However, I will be needing new tires shortly. I've somehow gotten 23,000 miles out of the original Potenzas, but would like to move to something else. Specifically, I'd like to go one level down in performance, to get something that will last longer and give a more comfortable ride. This may be blasphemy to some people, but the reality of car ownership for me right now necessitates something a bit less severe. What are my best options here?

Also, I currently live somewhere were summer tires are fine year-round, but that may not be the case in another year or two. To keep my options open, I'd like to move to something all-season. Though I could likely be talked out of this, as I'm not moving to upstate NY or anything like that. Probably the coldest area I'd end up in would be the Portland, OR area, and I have no idea what kind of tires people in that area prefer.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I really like the cooper zeon rs3-g1 for that tire. They're around $300 shipped when discount tire does their $100 ebay coupon.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Would and oil cooler help with temps too? It would be easy to add that if those are getting high too.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I've been digging these Falkens so far: https://www.walmart.com/ip/205-40-17-FALKEN-ZIEX-ZE950-A-S-84W-BSW-Tires/43739992

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I went to a 215/40 tyre up from the standard 205/40 and I don’t know how much of it is the 5mm extra sidewall height and how much of it is the tyres being new and soft, but the ride is noticeably less harsh. I used to feel every tar snake and bump remarkably firmly but not so much now. The car doesn’t feel any less sharp in the handling stakes, and grip levels have increased.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Capn Jobe posted:

Just over 3 years ago I purchased a FiST, partially on the advice of this thread. Great car, I've been loving the gently caress out of it.

However, I will be needing new tires shortly. I've somehow gotten 23,000 miles out of the original Potenzas, but would like to move to something else. Specifically, I'd like to go one level down in performance, to get something that will last longer and give a more comfortable ride. This may be blasphemy to some people, but the reality of car ownership for me right now necessitates something a bit less severe. What are my best options here?

Also, I currently live somewhere were summer tires are fine year-round, but that may not be the case in another year or two. To keep my options open, I'd like to move to something all-season. Though I could likely be talked out of this, as I'm not moving to upstate NY or anything like that. Probably the coldest area I'd end up in would be the Portland, OR area, and I have no idea what kind of tires people in that area prefer.

You should move to upstate NY, IMO.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Would and oil cooler help with temps too? It would be easy to add that if those are getting high too.

Yep. However the oil has a coolant oil exchange cooling block (whatever the gently caress that thing is called) so keeping coolant temps down has a direct effect on oil temps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I would bypass that and mount an oil only cooler. Just that should help a bit. Also those liked to crack on various vehicles for milk shake surprise.