Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

pmchem posted:

noted, thanks.

in other news, that chase amazon prime card, geez. if you order a lot from amazon and live near a whole foods -- I could see someone living their life using just that one card. we have one but we only ever use it for amazon orders. i wonder if maybe they added new category benefits since we got ours? 2% gas, 2% restaurants, 2% transit, up to 5% on travel (via chase), 5% prime/fresh/whole-foods (of course, AMZN products). 1% all other purchases. no annual fee, no FTF. i'm honestly impressed. it's like the perfect starter card if you just had one.

I get lots of offers on my Amazon too. The latest was 5% on restaurants, gas, and home improvement (capped at $1000 spend). Those kind of offers come fairly regularly. Just keep in mind that the top benefits require you to maintain Amazon Prime, so depending on how technical you want to get you may not consider it a no annual fee card. If you're already Prime and plan to continue that indefinitely, then the Prime card is a natural addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Shear Modulus posted:

the fidelity cash management account is actually a pretty great checking account. it has the base things you'd expect (no fees, free paper checks, ATM fee reimbursement) but also lets you put the money in fidelity money market funds and will auto-sell to cover debits. i have my cash in their t-bill money market fund so i get ~5% state-tax-exempt interest on it

How does this work? Just use your entire core position balance to buy something like SPAXX, and then any debits on the CMA will be liquidated immediately from the money market fund since the core position is empty? I gather you're using FDLXX for this? Sounds like Fidelity will also be expanding the options for core positions in a CMA sometime next month as well, which is cool (SPAXX will be an option, but I'm not sure what else).

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Splinter posted:

How does this work? Just use your entire core position balance to buy something like SPAXX, and then any debits on the CMA will be liquidated immediately from the money market fund since the core position is empty?

Yes. I do this too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Splinter posted:

How does this work? Just use your entire core position balance to buy something like SPAXX, and then any debits on the CMA will be liquidated immediately from the money market fund since the core position is empty? I gather you're using FDLXX for this? Sounds like Fidelity will also be expanding the options for core positions in a CMA sometime next month as well, which is cool (SPAXX will be an option, but I'm not sure what else).

I think they are just adding SPAXX to their CMA core position, but I can tell you from experience that you can manually buy FDLXX and it will auto liquidate without fuss.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

the fidelity cash management account is actually a pretty great checking account. it has the base things you'd expect (no fees, free paper checks, ATM fee reimbursement) but also lets you put the money in fidelity money market funds and will auto-sell to cover debits. i have my cash in their t-bill money market fund so i get ~5% state-tax-exempt interest on it

If I need to deposit a check, do you know how is that handled?

My credit union is located far away from me. I recently had to deposit a check that was over 10k from a car sale that was too big to do mobile deposit. I had to find a coop member credit union to visit to deposit that check. Been considering switching to a new bank, dumping my credit union.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, I have my cash in FDLXX. You have to manually go in and enter the fund buy order whenever you deposit cash, which is kind of annoying, but I think it's worth it. It does auto-sell the exact amount necessary when you have a debit bigger than your cash balance.

extravadanza posted:

My credit union is located far away from me. I recently had to deposit a check that was over 10k from a car sale that was too big to do mobile deposit. I had to find a coop member credit union to visit to deposit that check. Been considering switching to a new bank, dumping my credit union.

The app has mobile deposit. I just checked and it says the daily deposit limit is $500k (lol)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

extravadanza posted:

I just checked in the Fidelity app and the daily mobile check deposit limit for my cash management account is $500,000. They do also have a form you can print and mail in with your deposit checks if you prefer to send them the physical paper.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bear in mind that the limit will likely be lower if you're just signing up.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Thanks y'all. Seems like a great alternative to physical banks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The only thing that might be a problem is that they have a really low ATM limit of $520 per day, but iirc you can go to any bank teller and pull out $2500. These daily limits are for everyone and don't increase with account age or net worth.

I mean, if you're here in the credit card thread presumably you won't be using a debit card practically ever, but idk maybe you wanna buy $521 worth of :catdrugs: or something.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

extravadanza posted:

Thanks y'all. Seems like a great alternative to physical banks.

It is but keep in mind interest rates are also pretty favorable right now for people holding cash/short term investments.

I looked at the Fidelity CMA many times years ago and determined it wasn't worth it for the zero point whatever it was paying back when the Fed funds rate was lower.

That being said, it's not a few years ago and being able to hold money markets and short term treasuries in a spending account is really really nice right now. Especially if you have state income tax

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

One more thing is it's super easy to push money into another bank account. I can push money out of Fidelity and into another account and have it the next day fully ready to withdraw in person if that's what I wanted to do. I don't think this is a Fidelity thing though, just that you need to push a ACH EFT not pull.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I've noticed increasingly ACH takes less than 24h, and I'm pretty sure I have had same day transfers between my Fidelity and credit union accounts when the transfer is initiated early in the day.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That's my experience too. I've pushed money out around the time I start work and it's already in my other account as "cleared" by end of day.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I guess I did it. I wanted lounge access and just took the plunge on this. Welp;

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sniep posted:

I guess I did it. I wanted lounge access and just took the plunge on this. Welp;

The proper credit card flex is to include a wristwatch, gun, knife, whiskey bottle, and/or car, too.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Space Fish posted:

The proper credit card flex is to include a wristwatch, gun, knife, whiskey bottle, and/or car, too.

I had to tell someone!!! It makes a kerthud sound when it drops on a table!!!!

Edit: Ok, fine, here is this good enough

Sniep fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 24, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sniep posted:

why did you get the boring vanilla design though

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Boris Galerkin posted:

why did you get the boring vanilla design though

because the two "artsy" versions were both hideously ugly lol

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Was that barrel any good? They're such a gamble.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Veskit posted:

Was that barrel any good? They're such a gamble.

I really liked 31, this is 32 and I haven't cracked it yet but I've heard good things

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sniep posted:

Edit: Ok, fine, here is this good enough

Gotta appreciate the effortpost!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

With that kind of gear, the world is your comfort lounge, whether by convenience or by force.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sniep posted:

I like that you edited out your name but not the CVV. This man has no fears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Medullah posted:

I like that you edited out your name but not the CVV. This man has no fears.

You're probably right but at this point the bots have already scraped it and it's now part of AI hive mind. Whoops.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 30, 2024