Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ulio posted:

So when it is doing the top heavy animation you just press another action/button?

Yeah. Your guy will transition into the animation for the other attack. To your opponent it shows the top attack indicator (but not flashing) then it switches to whatever you cancel into.

Everyone (except conqueror) can also "feint" a heavy by pressing the feint button (B on Xbox controller) which is different because you go into default stance instead of an attack and also it does a "woosh" animation effect so you can tell when people are doing that. The special kensei canceling is different and tricky because it doesn't have the woosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Yeah, the reason why Kensei's neutral top heavy is slower than normal is to compensate for that gimmick. (It's a pretty strong and versatile gimmick though, to be fair)

The unblockable top heavy finisher is also soft-feintable by the way. Probably pretty nasty if you use that on a new player, I'd reckon

Edit: Also, while the Conqueror can't feint normally, they can still cancel their heavies by going into guard mode, so be wary of that. (If you hit them while they're guarding they get a guaranteed crushing counter on you)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Fired this up to play with a buddy on the fence for the free weekend and it feels better than where I left off. Is the rate of steel dropping normal or just to lure people in? Cause I spent 15k to get shaman (holy poo poo yes good rip and tear huge guts) and in one sitting I'm back up to 3k steel :stare:

Also when I parry sometimes I get a louder chunkier sound effect and there's a big white flash, what's that about? I don't remember that :haw:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Steel gain's been pretty good for a while now, just doing your two big (And stupidly easy) daily orders is just under 1k, then if you knock out the minor orders next to them, that's usually another 1k+ steel.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Capn Beeb posted:

Fired this up to play with a buddy on the fence for the free weekend and it feels better than where I left off. Is the rate of steel dropping normal or just to lure people in? Cause I spent 15k to get shaman (holy poo poo yes good rip and tear huge guts) and in one sitting I'm back up to 3k steel :stare:

Also when I parry sometimes I get a louder chunkier sound effect and there's a big white flash, what's that about? I don't remember that :haw:
Yeah, you can generally get about 3k steel every other day by doing the challenges. Unlocking the new characters is pretty easy that way.

As for the chunkier sound effect, that means you've parried a light attack as opposed to a heavy. A light attack parry nets you a guaranteed heavy attack (usually a top heavy even, though it depends on the hero), while parrying a heavy attack only nets you a light attack.

In case you're wondering, you can't get a guaranteed guardbreak out of your parries anymore, thank god

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah. Your guy will transition into the animation for the other attack. To your opponent it shows the top attack indicator (but not flashing) then it switches to whatever you cancel into.

Everyone (except conqueror) can also "feint" a heavy by pressing the feint button (B on Xbox controller) which is different because you go into default stance instead of an attack and also it does a "woosh" animation effect so you can tell when people are doing that. The special kensei canceling is different and tricky because it doesn't have the woosh.

Oh ok thanks for the tips. Btw to play the campaign the servers have to up as well?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I downloaded this for the free weekend but didn't have a lot of time, so I played the first knights campaign and haven't touched PvP, which I understand is the meat of the game. I love the gameplay, this is probably the best melee combat game I've played, the general aesthetic is lovely, and and basically I'm completely enamored of the short campaign I've played.

But I understand that that's basically the intro to the real game. How is the playerbase on PC? Ia there cross-platform play? I don't like buying into dying games as it feels like a waste of time, and I know that's not entirely rational but whatevs.

I enjoy PvP, it's what kept me logging into Destiny 2 as long as I did before dropping the turd, should I buy this? If so, I'm guessing the gold edition is worthwhile?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wheeee posted:

I downloaded this for the free weekend but didn't have a lot of time, so I played the first knights campaign and haven't touched PvP, which I understand is the meat of the game. I love the gameplay, this is probably the best melee combat game I've played, the general aesthetic is lovely, and and basically I'm completely enamored of the short campaign I've played.

But I understand that that's basically the intro to the real game. How is the playerbase on PC? Ia there cross-platform play? I don't like buying into dying games as it feels like a waste of time, and I know that's not entirely rational but whatevs.

I enjoy PvP, it's what kept me logging into Destiny 2 as long as I did before dropping the turd, should I buy this? If so, I'm guessing the gold edition is worthwhile?

There is unfortunately no cross platform play, but there is a healthy playerbase even on PC! I play on both PC and PS4 and I always find matches for everything except for elimination (which isn't great) in under a minute. Not sure how much it is stateside, but $30 CAD for the gold edition is honestly a pretty good deal, and you get a lot of heroes from the season pass completely free. It's what, the equivalent of about $100 worth of steel or so?

and the month of champion status will make you level up significantly faster! +40% EXP before any other bonuses. If you really think you'll get into the game, and I hope you do because it's honestly pretty unique and very accessible, go for it.

Vvv contracts reset super slowly unfortunately

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 7, 2018

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Do the contracts reset in 24 hours for anyone else? That seems way too long :psyduck:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Did they ever change Shugoki so he wasn’t amazing versus scrubs and garbage versus people who even vaguely understand how to break armour and dodge?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Do the contracts reset in 24 hours for anyone else? That seems way too long :psyduck:

The two "big" orders refresh every 24 hours, the slew of smaller contracts every 48. Really, don't obsess over them, just pick whichever you're likely to finish in the course of normal playing. You'll still gain steel at a very fast rate nonetheless. I've been able to buy all the new characters (except for Cent, gently caress that guy on principle :colbert:) and a slew of cosmetics with steel just from normal playing every few days.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 7, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I always find matches for everything except for elimination (which isn't great) in under a minute.

The 'deathmatch' modes sucked rear end way back when and they still do today, good riddance.

Shockeh posted:

Did they ever change Shugoki so he wasn’t amazing versus scrubs and garbage versus people who even vaguely understand how to break armour and dodge?

He's still very much a 'team' character mostly.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I don't get all the Cent hate in this thread. Of all the characters they've added he's like the least offensive

Shockeh posted:

Nope, he's still a one trick pony unfortunately.

Considering they only rework a couple characters each season (and for next season it's gonna be PK and Orochi) it'll probably take ages before all the OG characters are up to par. Although to be fair the Conq, Zerk and Kensei are all in a really good spot after their reworks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Exodee posted:

I don't get all the Cent hate in this thread. Of all the characters they've added he's like the least offensive

Cent's problem is that they inordinately punish newer/unlearned people in a way that feels incredibly unfair, if Kensei does their goofy dance of death or PK spams you down, you at least see what's happening, while 1 bad hit means Cent basically takes your controller away while you get to watch your character get eviscerated and they're kind of irreparably hosed up in 4v4 modes, all they have to do is creep on a fight, pin someone and it's over. Now other people can do that too, but if Big Shug grabs you so his allies can brain you he's trying it at a potential cost of health, Law used to be only useful for tying people up and that was it, Cent's got all the stamina crushing, bashes and wall power people hated from other characters plus better ganks than nearly anyone else and they can fake you out over and over, that combined with longer, "cutscene" attacks and executions that go on for a century makes for a character people are gonna hate for one reason or another.

When you know all their tricks and you're not getting hit by like 3 people, he's nothing nowadays, but all that's the explanation for most people and especially new players.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 7, 2018

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Yeah that's fair enough. I'm just taken aback a bit by this thread, as far as character hate goes it usually goes to the Shaman. (who has a similar cutscene that seems really unfair until you figure it out)

Although to be fair, I guess the Centurion was completely insane at some point before he got nerfed. Since I didn't play the game at that time I've never gotten to experience that

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Exodee posted:

Nope, he's still a one trick pony unfortunately.

It's not even so much a matter of balance (though that was pretty dire near his release), but also simple user experience. Cent is basically a case study on focusing on the using player's experience while failing to consider the opposing player's experience. Taking control away from the player is always a risky business that needs to be handled carefully, particularly in multiplayer games. And yet, Centurion does basically nothing but. Just about every attack is a stun, stagger, knockdown, or locks you into an aggravatingly long animation during which you're helpless. Add to that a slew of unblockables, exceptionally high stamina that allows him to throw those out basically nonstop, and a strong stamina drain, and it's easy for the opponent to feel constantly on the back foot and like they have no way to meaningfully gain the initiative. Even if mechanically balanced, he's just outright unpleasant to play against.

quote:

Considering they only rework a couple characters each season (and for next season it's gonna be PK and Orochi) it'll probably take ages before all the OG characters are up to par. Although to be fair the Conq, Zerk and Kensei are all in a really good spot after their reworks.

Oh lol, they've basically just given up on Valkyrie at this point, haven't they? :smith:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Oh lol, they've basically just given up on Valkyrie at this point, haven't they? :smith:

Assassin privilege strikes again.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Me and my friend are playing the game, we're both new to it but the matchmaking seems incredibly brutal? We've lost every single match to level 40 superstars who do loving teleports, vanishes, AOE health drains and super flying kicks to the face, and turn on revenge mode seemingly every time you fight them. It's come off the free weekend, it's being sold for peanuts, there's undoubtedly loads of new players yet it won't match us to equally inexperienced level 1-2 players? It's hampering our enjoyment of the game really badly. We just want a level playing field while we get used to everything, not a rape bondage session.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Me and my friend are playing the game, we're both new to it but the matchmaking seems incredibly brutal? We've lost every single match to level 40 superstars who do loving teleports, vanishes, AOE health drains and super flying kicks to the face, and turn on revenge mode seemingly every time you fight them. It's come off the free weekend, it's being sold for peanuts, there's undoubtedly loads of new players yet it won't match us to equally inexperienced level 1-2 players? It's hampering our enjoyment of the game really badly. We just want a level playing field while we get used to everything, not a rape bondage session.

The matchmaking has always been really spotty but yeah, there's a bunch of shitheads just running around in premades against all but helpless post-weekend new guys. It's come and gone for me, I'll get matches where one team is me and other higher ranked guys against a brand new team, me and a bunch of new people against those teams, all brand new people except me (Where I purposefully play guys I'm bad at and avoid doing meta poo poo), the matchmaking's going ape trying to fit all these hugely separate ranks together.

Liu posted:

how's Nobushi these days, I havent played since they added Shinobi

Nobu's very good.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 7, 2018

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Liu posted:

A little bit better, the kick can now also be launched from light attacks and comes out faster, giving you somewhat better mixup capabilities. No other major changes from what I remember, and she's still stuck with dodge-attacks that don't actually reliably dodge anything.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Liu posted:

she's okay but still suffers from having no real viable openers. she's extremely easy to parry

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Liu posted:

Her Hidden Stance shenanigans are real good, but also kinda the only thing she's got going for her because for some reason all her regular attacks are insanely easy to parry. (on PC at least) I'm not sure why either because they're just as fast as most other characters attacks.

Perestroika posted:

Just about every attack is a stun, stagger, knockdown, or locks you into an aggravatingly long animation during which you're helpless. Add to that a slew of unblockables, exceptionally high stamina that allows him to throw those out basically nonstop, and a strong stamina drain, and it's easy for the opponent to feel constantly on the back foot and like they have no way to meaningfully gain the initiative. Even if mechanically balanced, he's just outright unpleasant to play against.
"Just about every attack" meaning just his charged jab. If you learn what the deal behind that one attack is then he's really not that threatening anymore. As well, all of his three unblockables are very telegraphed and he can't do any feint trickery with them either.

His cutscene is obnoxious as all hell, but that's really the only thing he's got going for him. You mentioned how you refuse to unlock him on principle, but doing so is really the best way to learn how to counter him.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though, I had a hard time with them as well after coming back from the early beta. But that's why I decided to try him out for a few levels and I haven't had much trouble with them ever since.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 7, 2018

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
As someone who gets incredibly giddy whenever I manage to nail a deflect, Orochi rework on the horizon has me excited. I should play this game more.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

As someone who gets incredibly giddy whenever I manage to nail a deflect, Orochi rework on the horizon has me excited. I should play this game more.

It's probably in some of the best balance it's ever had currently, so you picked a good time.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Perestroika posted:

The two "big" orders refresh every 24 hours, the slew of smaller contracts every 48. Really, don't obsess over them, just pick whichever you're likely to finish in the course of normal playing. You'll still gain steel at a very fast rate nonetheless. I've been able to buy all the new characters (except for Cent, gently caress that guy on principle :colbert:) and a slew of cosmetics with steel just from normal playing every few days.

Oh word, I haven't played in a while so I couldn't remember if it always took that long or not :v:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Picked up Aramusha in some friendly brawls with my friends earlier and really enjoyed him. First game I go into 1v1's with is a Russian prestige 23 Warlord and I actually didn't feel like I couldn't beat him at any point. Faced him 4 times and beat him on the last one.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rainuwastaken posted:

I practiced deflects on Berserker a bunch today. They're very exciting and flashy but I've still never intentionally pulled one off against strangers, and they're pretty brutally worthless unless you do it on purpose because you get nothing from them unless you immediately hit the followup button. I mostly just stick to parries unless it's a class with very telegraphed attacks, like Warden.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Played a bunch of 1v1s as a Lawbringer vs a Warden and then Centurion. Have to say it was real nice just going back to basics, without many special moves to take into account at all.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Exodee posted:

"Just about every attack" meaning just his charged jab. If you learn what the deal behind that one attack is then he's really not that threatening anymore. As well, all of his three unblockables are very telegraphed and he can't do any feint trickery with them either.

His cutscene is obnoxious as all hell, but that's really the only thing he's got going for him. You mentioned how you refuse to unlock him on principle, but doing so is really the best way to learn how to counter him.

He's got the charged thrust that leads into an animation, the uppercut that stuns and may knock down, the kick that staggers, the guardbreak followup that stuns, and finally the ground-stab with another long animation. The way some of these can unavoidably lead into each other yet further prolongs the loss of control on part of the victim.

Again, the issue is not with his mechanical balance. As you said, at this point he's generally perfectly beatable. The issue is that he's a character built heavily around prolonged loss-of-control effects in a style of game that makes those rather aggravating. It's bad design on a purely visceral level. Even if he were garbage tier with a win rate of 5%, it'd still be bad design. Other characters have/had that issue as well (like Warden's infinite vortex before it was fixed), but Cent is far and away the worst offender of the bunch.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Perestroika posted:

He's got the charged thrust that leads into an animation, the uppercut that stuns and may knock down, the kick that staggers, the guardbreak followup that stuns, and finally the ground-stab with another long animation. The way some of these can unavoidably lead into each other yet further prolongs the loss of control on part of the victim.

Again, the issue is not with his mechanical balance. As you said, at this point he's generally perfectly beatable. The issue is that he's a character built heavily around prolonged loss-of-control effects in a style of game that makes those rather aggravating. It's bad design on a purely visceral level. Even if he were garbage tier with a win rate of 5%, it'd still be bad design. Other characters have/had that issue as well (like Warden's infinite vortex before it was fixed), but Cent is far and away the worst offender of the bunch.
Just to get this out of the way first, but the way the cutscene works is that they use charged thrust (probably from a wallsplat to confirm it) -> charged uppercut -> ground stab in exactly that order. If they do it any differently you won't have lost control of your character and they can't mix that part up at all. It's bad, yes, but not that bad. The rest of his kit is nothing special, really.

With that being said, I do agree with you that he's a poorly designed, one dimensional character. Hell, he probably needs a rework more than a lot of the other heroes. But since they're planning to rework the original cast first you better get used to fighting the Cent in his current state. (And again, the best way to do that is to play as him for a bit)

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Cent is just dull to fight against. For new players he is enraging beyond belief, but when you're experienced he really is just a whole lot of boredom. He's reliant on the opponent screwing up just once in order to dish out his damage, so most good Cent players fish for the parries or soft feint into gb very often to try and get the wallsplat.

He's not broken at all, he's just boring because he excels at being an opportunistic turtle.

quote:

She's alright. She can get a guaranteed kick from a Hidden Stance heavy on block or hit, which can lead to some mixups, and she can 'cycle' her dash attacks for pressure (dash heavy --> Viper's Retreat --> dash light --> dash heavy etc..). Against good players it's a bad idea because her attacks are quite slow, but if you mix it up right you can open people up with surprise kicks or cancels into Hidden Stance if the opponent tries to fish a parry out of you. She suffers from a lack of openers, but with good mind fuckery and reading skills you can ace people pretty well.

The game all round is a billion times better than it was a year ago tho. I'm just chuffed that my Kensei finally got a rework. Mained him since Beta, so it was nice to turn into a fuckin' murder machine of vengeful wrath come S5.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Frozenfries posted:

The game all round is a billion times better than it was a year ago tho. I'm just chuffed that my Kensei finally got a rework. Mained him since Beta, so it was nice to turn into a fuckin' murder machine of vengeful wrath come S5.

Kensei went from being one of, if not the worst character to what they are now as well, which is pretty incredible. For anyone maybe newer, I probably still have a post from months ago in this thread bemoaning that they were essentially "What not to make a character" because of their power and the meta at the time being especially cruel to them, as they had no real way to crack defense. Like people nowadays can and still do turtle, but plenty of characters can open them up or punish them now, meanwhile when the game was still very young not only did assloads more people turtle, it was because turtling was the game winning strat, there was no reason to go on the offensive against another good player because they'd easily parry, which back then you got a guaranteed guard break, then thanks to that they'd wallsplat you or get a guaranteed heavy and then you were on the backfoot until they bored you into your next attack. That or warlord would instabash headbutt and guaranteed light poke you over and over for next to zero stamina each time until you died, because warlord at their prime got to ignore all the rules of the game.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Frozenfries posted:

Cent is [...] not broken at all, he's just boring because he excels at being an opportunistic turtle.

Can't be worse than Conquerer.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Can't be worse than Conquerer.

I've tried New Conqueror a few times and timing the super block to do the super retaliation uppercut attack seems frustratingly impossible and I get a lot more mileage just wailing on people (I'm guessing people see so few conquerors they don't have the parry timings down as well).

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody have any advice on Shugoki? I picked this up over the free weekend and I really like Shugoki but everybody seems to know to stay just out of my range and poke me to death/turtle up and block all my guard breaks until a friend shows up. Is there a way to close distances on people that isn't the finicky zone attack? I can't get it to go off reliably and instead I end up doing the heavy attack.

I've watched a couple Shugoki videos but I guess I'm not grasping how to deal with so many small fast guys running around.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If you having problems with zone attacks (and are using a controller) try to consciously think to hit heavy ‘first’, but still try to hit both buttons at the same time. That sounds strange but it seems to work for me.

Shugoki is in kind of a rough place right now, although I still love me some fat man. His offense has no really strong moves that force a tight reaction. You’ll really need to master basics like Mind games, feints and knowing your opponents move set. Try playing much more passively, and try this exercise - never press light attack until you see your opponent attack first. They will hit you, but the hyper armor will let your light attack connect (unless they have a confirmed 2nd hit, you’re pretty hosed then). Then headbutt, get in their face and do it again. Occasionally throw a heavy, feint, then gb. No doubt you will lose some games like this (some attacks may out trade you in damage), but stick with it. This will help to enforce that Shugo fights are about a series of engagements where you trade damage, then the fight is ‘reset’ (headbutt or you run away to get hyper armor back). The pace should be slow. Later on you will need to master learning when you can take a hit on the hyper armor and gb through the hit, which leads to the throw -> wall splat -> confirmed embrace. Play duels to really learn him, 4v4s are tough without really knowing Shugs style. You take extra bonus damage when you take hits without the hyper armor, making getting ganked as Shug very dangerous.

To start beating mid level players reliably you’ll need to start using every dirty trick in the book. If you manage to get someone on the ground you can perfect the timing of the hug to catch them on wake up(correct timing is tight, but done correctly they can’t dodge). There is an emote that looks like the start of Deamons Embrace, you can use that to hopefully force a dodge and catch them. Do crazy rolls in middle of combat (for some reason people always seem to throw a gb, which bounces off the throw), and throw a light attack as soon as your out. Do weirdo moves where you turn away to start running, then unlock attack (this whips you around instantly for an attack). Use the Oni Charge even though it doesn’t confirm you any damage to maybe force a dodge that you can catch with a gb. The zone attack, even if parried, should leave you out of range of any character besides Nobushi (you must not hold move forward while using zone, instead hold move backward).

Basically you have to hustle to go on offense with Shugoki, and most tricks could be used as any character and be more effective than using them as Shugoki. I do love sitting on people and rubbing my tummy on executes, so although there are defiantly more effective characters out there, I still love the fat man.

TopRamenShaman on YouTube has a lot of Shugoki videos, he’s good but not godlike. So I feel like he is a good template for learning.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 10, 2018

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

I've tried New Conqueror a few times and timing the super block to do the super retaliation uppercut attack seems frustratingly impossible and I get a lot more mileage just wailing on people (I'm guessing people see so few conquerors they don't have the parry timings down as well).

Use Conqueror's full block in the middle of a bunch of minions. Their attacks trigger the uppercut.

Thank me later. :mrgw:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

I've tried New Conqueror a few times and timing the super block

You basically can't do it on reaction, you have to just block to try and predict the enemy. If the enemy throws an attack at about the same time, hold it and do the counter. If they don't, drop it and expect them to probably try a guard break. If they guard break you in full block you can't counter, but you can drop full block really fast. Actually, if your opponent starts going for a gb every time you full block you can just tap it and then throw a heavy to hit them when they try for the guard break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Captain Beans posted:

If you having problems with zone attacks (and are using a controller) try to consciously think to hit heavy ‘first’, but still try to hit both buttons at the same time. That sounds strange but it seems to work for me.
I just made a dedicated button that inputs both light and heavy attack at the same time. Works like a charm. :v:
(not sure if you can do that on an actual console, but with Steam you can use its controller settings to set that up)

cock hero flux posted:

You basically can't do it on reaction, you have to just block to try and predict the enemy. If the enemy throws an attack at about the same time, hold it and do the counter. If they don't, drop it and expect them to probably try a guard break. If they guard break you in full block you can't counter, but you can drop full block really fast. Actually, if your opponent starts going for a gb every time you full block you can just tap it and then throw a heavy to hit them when they try for the guard break.
You can also use your zoning attack while in full guard, which keeps you safe from pretty much anything except for a berserker's unblockable. (then again, if you do that too often they might predict it and parry you out of it)