Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It does but people still use it as an effective elvish tactic. Be the last person to move and shoot them in the back.

It sucks but welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I was under the impression blue does damage faster later in the match. I guess I could test it.

It does, but some players either get caught by surprise when the blue circle covers them or intentionally takes the damage to stealthily ambush someone. With enough medical supplies, someone could last a while out there.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You'll get a feel for where to expect other players to gravitate into the circle as you gain experience, one example is making a mental note of where the airplane's drop path was.

If you don't have a dry erase marker and a laminated map of the island for taking notes like that on the fly you are playing the game wrong.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mashed_penguin posted:

If you don't have a dry erase marker and a laminated map of the island for taking notes like that on the fly you are playing the game wrong.

someone posted a useful interactive map to put up on your second monitor that accomplishes this

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012
Roadmap update.

Tl;dr full release might not be 6 months from the start of early access, but will definitely be before the end of the year.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
The key to winning the end game is to max out your stims, abuse the 3rd person perspective, and not miss your shots. If you can use the environment and cover to only expose yourself to the guy you're shooting and force 1v1s then you'll win if you're a good shooter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

It does but people still use it as an effective elvish tactic. Be the last person to move and shoot them in the back.

It sucks but welp

This is the best tactic if you absolutely know you can't make it into the new zone without dying anyways.

https://streamable.com/s7342 (a little preface re: the dacia in the next clip)
https://streamable.com/noepc

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 7, 2017

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Those vids of people getting rolled by rubber banding(might be dodging, but benefit of the doubt) all stood in one place, and it's hella easy to drop a static target.

For run and gun, you want an SMG or AR, angled grip over vertical, and the single right click, the 3rd person scoping. It's less accurate per shot, but keeping the grouping tight is easier, meaning better overall accuracy.

I get a lot of rubber banding and load fails right at the start, but usually that's due to a dozen people parachuting on apartments and school while I'm there.

As for fast drops, I find that hard banking the chute while leaning forward gets about 60kph in the low zone, anyone doing any better than that?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mistle posted:

Those vids of people getting rolled by rubber banding(might be dodging, but benefit of the doubt) all stood in one place, and it's hella easy to drop a static target.

For run and gun, you want an SMG or AR, angled grip over vertical, and the single right click, the 3rd person scoping. It's less accurate per shot, but keeping the grouping tight is easier, meaning better overall accuracy.

I get a lot of rubber banding and load fails right at the start, but usually that's due to a dozen people parachuting on apartments and school while I'm there.

As for fast drops, I find that hard banking the chute while leaning forward gets about 60kph in the low zone, anyone doing any better than that?

It's really easy to get CQC kills running and gunning when you use the hold right click zoom rather than the actual iron sights. I've killed a few people who were obviously caught by surprise while trying to aim down sights. I took out a guy who was a building or two away from me with a 1911 at one point yesterday, then I looted him to discover that he had an AKM with a 2x scope. Then I got murked by some dude running out of a warehouse with an S12. this loving game

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I also go straight down sometimes, see no chutes and bam there are people there. Someone on discord mentioned there was a bug where other players don't always spawn in until after you've landed

I've run into this bug as well.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I just got my second chicken dinner ever. Silenced SKS is OP.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You gotta move after shooting, and if it's late in the game you're most likely better off by skipping looting bodies.

There are very few situations where not looting someone is the right decision. Generally, unless you're truely fully geared, you're picking up meds from bodies the entire game as you go.

Like I'd have to have a pretty rare setup to not spend a second grazing a body. If you are poo poo at looting then maybeeee I could see not spending the time to do it, but even then the correct answer is Get Good.

Taking meds off a corpse should barely break your stride

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I also go straight down sometimes, see no chutes and bam there are people there. Someone on discord mentioned there was a bug where other players don't always spawn in until after you've landed

I don't think they immediately render all players - I know you can "see" two rows of seats in the plane but in convinced there are actually two planes and they have just dummied up a second row. I constantly see players phasing in late in a drop, like post parachute open.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

There are very few situations where not looting someone is the right decision. Generally, unless you're truely fully geared, you're picking up meds from bodies the entire game as you go.

Like I'd have to have a pretty rare setup to not spend a second grazing a body. If you are poo poo at looting then maybeeee I could see not spending the time to do it, but even then the correct answer is Get Good.

Taking meds off a corpse should barely break your stride

He's talking about late game. If you killed someone it's almost guaranteed that there are multiple other people nearby who will be very interested in seeing what the commotion is. If they already had a visual on the guy you killed it's almost guaranteed that they'll camp the body for a bit to see if anyone will loot it. Generally you should only go for it if you're very comfortable with the cover you'll have while looting and the hike over to the crate won't expose you too badly.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I was able to loot the one guy and spend 40 seconds fumbling with his gun to replace my Tommy, but it was over a hill and behind a Jeep and everyone seemed too afraid of moving out and getting sniped, since I failed to kill someone else before it was a known sniper area

But yeah being around bullet noises is bad late game

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The VSS is a great late game weapon if you consider how drat silent it is, crossbow too for that matter.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Drove up to a crate, pulled out a AWM. Only had a 4x scope for it though. Died before I could even shoot it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rex-Goliath posted:

He's talking about late game. If you killed someone it's almost guaranteed that there are multiple other people nearby who will be very interested in seeing what the commotion is. If they already had a visual on the guy you killed it's almost guaranteed that they'll camp the body for a bit to see if anyone will loot it. Generally you should only go for it if you're very comfortable with the cover you'll have while looting and the hike over to the crate won't expose you too badly.

I understand, he's also talking to someone who just started playing last week and doesn't really know if the gas does more damage as the game goes on so to say "don't loot late game" is stupid considering the amount of situations where it's safe to do so.

Sure, don't loot in the open if it'll get you killed with 3 left. Do loot any other time if you have room, which you should always have because you aren't picking up poo poo you don't need and it'll take literally a second to take boosts and keep moving.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I still think that my advice is sound, a new player should avoid looting if he's made it to the final 10 players left, and focus on who's left instead.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

someone posted a useful interactive map to put up on your second monitor that accomplishes this

Where? this sounds cool

Last night I got my second dinner ever. Dropped in north Georgpol and the circle was way east so I had to haul rear end and didn't see anyone until I gave up my bike and started camping the rocks south east of the crater. My first kill brought me a silencer for my AR (less than 30 people at this point) and the final circle brought me back up the hill to use my motorcycle for cover so gently caress ambushing vs chasing or whatever. Murder everyone and get lucky.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol don't loot late game. You don't even want to know how many times I've spectated a squad mate who is newish to the game deciding to go for a leisurely loot with 15 left and getting shot in the head. You can win with any gun and honestly you're not going to use more than 1 or 2 first aid kits end of game anyways. Seriously, not looting people once there's under about 20 people left is one of the biggest things you can do to win more.

If someone died they're p much by definition not in a safe spot. Exposing yourself to unsafe spots for seconds longer than you have to is why you get killed.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 7, 2017

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The VSS is a great late game weapon if you consider how drat silent it is, crossbow too for that matter.

The one time I have had a VSS I put 6 bullets into someone and they JUST WOULDNT DIE...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yeah but think about how mad they were that they couldn't hear where the shots were coming from!
https://clips.twitch.tv/PricklyLaconicYogurtCoolStoryBro

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

played in something other than a solo for the first time ever last night, 2 chicken dinners in 3 games. it is gratifying to know that my ears work, though, as validated by spectating my teammates

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My squadmates always drive me nuts by how long they take to loot a body. Before you even go near the body, make a mental list of what you need and prioritize it. If you have no meds, get the meds, then probably the ammo if you're lacking. Next is armor/helmet if yours got destroyed. Sure it's nice to grab a scope or silencer, but they're even more pointless later in the game. Don't spend minutes running between corpses trying to min/max your gear. Also, I really prefer when only one guy loots at a time, but surely not all squad members can loot at once. If you just killed someone, then someone probably just made a racket and people are going to come looking, so someone has to look out.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Goon strengths and priorities:

1. Looting
2. Talking about looting
3. Calling out lvl 1 armor and helmets
8. Hearing where shots are coming from
11. Shooting

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

VulgarandStupid posted:

My squadmates always drive me nuts by how long they take to loot a body. Before you even go near the body, make a mental list of what you need and prioritize it. If you have no meds, get the meds, then probably the ammo if you're lacking. Next is armor/helmet if yours got destroyed. Sure it's nice to grab a scope or silencer, but they're even more pointless later in the game. Don't spend minutes running between corpses trying to min/max your gear. Also, I really prefer when only one guy loots at a time, but surely not all squad members can loot at once. If you just killed someone, then someone probably just made a racket and people are going to come looking, so someone has to look out.

I play with a friend and some people he knows from Arma or something, and apparently having a big get together in a house to sort through the haul is a thing. Its one thing to ask if someone has an extra first aid kit or something, but the mid-match tupperware party is weird. Also we lost a match because 2 of them decided to dig through some bodies instead of shooting people.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol don't loot late game. You don't even want to know how many times I've spectated a squad mate who is newish to the game deciding to go for a leisurely loot with 15 left and getting shot in the head. You can win with any gun and honestly you're not going to use more than 1 or 2 first aid kits end of game anyways. Seriously, not looting people once there's under about 20 people left is one of the biggest things you can do to win more.

If someone died they're p much by definition not in a safe spot. Exposing yourself to unsafe spots for seconds longer than you have to is why you get killed.

This is just bad players being bad. You can win with any setup but if you're fully boosted for the entire end of the game or if you can snag a zoom scope or suppressor easily that you didn't have before you're going to have a better chance. Again, you should be able to pick up meds without having to drop anything or changing your momentum much at all. I'm not telling you to spend 15 seconds without cover at the body like a scrub. I'm saying keep moving past the body while heading to cover.

This is like telling people to not drop in high value loot locations because they might get killed lol

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I wonder when I'm going to be a subject in somebody else's gif of me doing something stupid and them going "look at that idiot." Mathematically, it's bound to happen. I do enough stupid stuff.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
3 guys standing motionless on a body in a street with no cover for 45 seconds. Gotta loot that sweet AR compensator and go from 300 to 400 rounds of .556 when I've never fired more than 100 rounds in a game.

This is just bad players being bad. You can win with any setup but if you're fully boosted for the entire end of the game or if you can snag a zoom scope or suppressor easily that you didn't have before you're going to have a better chance. Again, you should be able to pick up meds without having to drop anything or changing your momentum much at all. I'm not telling you to spend 15 seconds without cover at the body like a scrub. I'm saying keep moving past the body while heading to cover.

This is like telling people to not drop in high value loot locations because they might get killed lol

You should have all this stuff from the fights you took in midgame.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 7, 2017

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

willroc7 posted:

Goon strengths and priorities:

1. Looting
2. Talking about looting
3. Calling out lvl 1 armor and helmets
8. Hearing where shots are coming from
11. Shooting

10. Flipping vehicles

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

CitizenKain posted:

I play with a friend and some people he knows from Arma or something, and apparently having a big get together in a house to sort through the haul is a thing. Its one thing to ask if someone has an extra first aid kit or something, but the mid-match tupperware party is weird. Also we lost a match because 2 of them decided to dig through some bodies instead of shooting people.

I played Arma 3 BR, and while you do want to meet with your team to swap gear and give each other appropriate silencers and scopes, you should only do it once when you know you're absolutely safe. Sometimes there's too much poo poo going on for it to actually happen.

Oh man, some of the goons I've played with are such loot goblins, they'll loot before healing after an engagement and then be late to the circle. Absolutely stupid.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nah, he's totally right and I say that as someone who likes to loot goblin more than they should. Obviously it's usually worth a quick look if it's perfectly safe, and obviously there are times you definitely should be looking to loot someone (no meds, no helmet, no ammunition, and/or no optic/long ranged gun heading into a situation where you'll need one being the most obvious), but most of the time if you've got "good enough" loot you're much, much, much better off focusing on maintaining situational awareness and taking out other players than trying to get marginal gear upgrades or top-off your consumables.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 7, 2017

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Hockles posted:

I wonder when I'm going to be a subject in somebody else's gif of me doing something stupid and them going "look at that idiot." Mathematically, it's bound to happen. I do enough stupid stuff.

Our #2 finish squad game two nights ago was versus a streamer (Googled his PUBG name), he just didn't happen to be streaming, which is too bad because I would've been interested to see his perspective on the last few minutes.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Excited for killcams to come out and see some rage clips of people mad as heck that they got killed by someone who was going to die to the blue anyway.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 7, 2017

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

If you're not playing this game with the sole goal of making other people lose you're not having as much fun as you could be

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

aunt jemima posted:

If you're not playing this game with the sole goal of making other people lose you're not having as much fun as you could be

:same:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

3 guys standing motionless on a body in a street with no cover for 45 seconds. Gotta loot that sweet AR compensator and go from 300 to 400 rounds of .556 when I've never fired more than 100 rounds in a game.

Yea I mean this is the type of poo poo play I'm not advocating, lol my friends do this too. None of this multiple people going out to bodies to loot, either take turns or send someone without a scope to do it while you cover them. You should be able to pick up anything besides a gas can at all times. You'll be able to find a level 2 backpack almost every game which is plenty of room for primary and secondary ammo, an extra red dot if you have a zoom scope, every frag/smoke you'd ever need, whatever. There is a gear hierarchy and once you figure out what you Really Don't Need you can stop grabbing that poo poo every game. I'm talking to the people finding themselves with 50+ rounds of pistol ammo on them with no intention of using it just because they got it in their head they need .45 ammo. The people with over 200 rounds for their secondary AR or multiple stun grenades post close quarter city combat. Once you get your compensator you drop your flash hider (don't tell me to keep it for sniping you shouldn't be shooting at people you can't kill anyway), don't carry extra types of mags, don't carry a red dot and a holo. You have 20 seconds of downtime in a car ride? Clear your inventory quickly if you aren't helping navigate

It's really simple but it does take some experience to be able to look at multiple bodies on the ground and pick out what you need quickly from all the crap people pick up.

But really, the only point is to make other people not win, not to win, you know?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

aunt jemima posted:

I kind of want to do a roving squad that heads towards any gunfire they hear just to gently caress with people. You're gonna die a lot but it has the potential to be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
First aid kit, ak/m16 with red dot, vest/helmet, smoke grenade, frag grenade, boost and I'm set. UZI for cqb. When I've got slightly less gear, I am a lot smarter about what fights I take on. Then if you hear a guy with a SR or suppressed AR, go hunt him down and take it from him.

HPonice: I think we're mostly saying the same thing at this point

• Locked thread